Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3239 3240 [3241] 3242 3243 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6122773 times)

StarWars1981

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #48600 on: October 07, 2016, 06:45:27 pm »

Goblin siege ended a while ago. Up on the mountain biome, the heinous dust that rots crap faster than dwarves can walk to the hospital (far side of the map. So that other dwarves can proceed to bleed them to death while performing surgery to "remove rot"), there are many goblins dead. To that Heinous Dust. Two sucker squads. Three survived; they're in cage traps that are COVERED in the stuff. I'm gonna have to pump water to clean them, and I don't really want to. Dangit. However, rain cleaned off the ones who made it into the highlands biome next door. So I've got their gear, but the others are just rotting away while they wait for me to clean it out. Also, the cages ones have to be cleaned ... and it doesn't rain on the mountains. Also, dead bodies don't get cleaned off by rainfall. Dangit x2.
Goblins are not mass-pitting properly. I had 3 captured this time; the one who was NOT disarmed first, went in fine; the two who WERE disarmed, did not. What am I doing wrong? The THREE total who were NOT disarmed are in, all 11 or so who WERE disarmed are ... dead, taking poor Udib Rabnish the war dog with them (that's gonna be a sad militia captain, I've got to find her and make sure she's not melancholy ... or something worse, she is after all near-Legendary skill with her Axe, I believe it is).

Derro

• Bay Watcher
  • Imprisoned Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #48601 on: October 08, 2016, 01:51:32 am »

New fortress after the old one crashed: welcome to Manyfaiths!

The idea is that all deities will get their own section of the fortress with appropriate facilities (god of justice has jail, god of wealth jeweler's workshops), and dedicated temples. In theory, it's great.

In practice, I had to lock up 75% of the first migrant wave because they worshipped multiple deities. Can't have those heretics running around!

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #48602 on: October 08, 2016, 02:14:14 am »

God of wealth really should have spiked balls & giant axe blades, and possibly masterwork roasts :v

There are the issues that deities might have overlaps.....But how are you going to portray a deity of fortresses?

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #48603 on: October 08, 2016, 10:18:28 am »

But how are you going to portray a deity of fortresses?
I'm ashamed you even have to ask.

Urist McShire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48604 on: October 08, 2016, 05:20:55 pm »

A Jotun invasion came 12 giants strong. My bronze-wiwlding militia did very well against them until the very last one decided to breathe fire. Despite my dwarves' skill in using their shields, my militia commander, three swordsmasters and a hammer lord fell in the flames and smoke of the fire giant. Only 2 bodies were recovered. The lost shall be entombed in bronze like their arms and armour, and immortalized in marble.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #48605 on: October 08, 2016, 07:38:06 pm »

I'm ashamed you even have to ask.
How would you do it?

And I do have an idea, but I'm curious about how others would do it.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #48606 on: October 09, 2016, 11:29:57 am »

You build an enormous fortress, of course.

Urist McShire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48607 on: October 09, 2016, 12:07:34 pm »

So now one of my militia captains just up and declared herself Queen of our civilization. Which is fine, I guess, but at the same time you were one of my captains. Now I need to give away your militia captain's room to your replacement and prepare an even better room, and an office, for you, while now making you that squad's eternal 2IC (2nd in command), as well as personally assign you every bit of masterwork steel arms and armour because your speardwarf squad was four squads down the line.

StarWars1981

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48608 on: October 09, 2016, 01:06:00 pm »

Debating the usefulness of an iron-equipped vs. steel-equipped partially trained citizen's militia. I've got ~140 dwarves to work with, counting about 2 dozen children or less. Steel industry is painfully slow, partly due to horrific stockpile management that I just don't want to fix. The fortress expanded in an absolutely unplanned manner; makes this sort of thing messy. Next fort I build is probably going to use upper dirt levels for manufacturing around a central staircase that does not involve defenses including a long annoying hallway. That was really a poor choice. A bridge over the hatch location would just be better. And I'm gonna set up woodworking/farming/crafting shops at the top dirt levels ... and forges much, much farther down. Below probably just two levels of dedicated dining rooms and expanded living quarters beyond that - because let's be honest, dwarves rarely sleep, losing me too little time to care about better efficiency. But because magma forges need to be low as possible, and I still need space above them for expansion (i.e. mass pit zones, barracks level setup including weapons and armor storage, training rooms, archery targets, personnel bedrooms, etc.) for later-game objects. The ultimate goal, of course, is to A. anger every civilization, B. capture lots of excessively dangerous creatures, and C. conquer anything and everything belowground ... or die trying. After whittling down every other civilization minus my own, of course.
For right now, I need to build this fortress up with a steel military. It's no longer a militia. Weaponslords are everywhere, and the rest are skilled enough to make goblins cry, minus the three raw recruits thrown into squads as migrants. They're gonna be so very helpful later. Much later. As I go, I add recruits; if I add 4 more, I'm going to have to make a new squad, though I think I might just reorganize sooner to get single-weapon squads ... right now they're mixed, which is what I want them to be for now, but it does make sparring rarer and training/equipping more difficult. Mixed squads bring EVERYTHING to the party; single-type squads have to be ordered separately to bring all weapons. Of course, Marksdwarves are and always will be separate; however, they're never going to number more than 1 squad, given that A. they suck and B. they have this nasty tendency to disobey orders and knock heavily armed goblins on the head ... before I finish equipping them with high-grade armor. Currently, that's a set of leather ... but it's better than the weapon and shield they had when they decided to rush a goblin siege. Two dead fools and a crippled dwarf later, the melee lords got there and ... well, it went poorly, to say very, very little. Recently, I lost a recruit, a child, and a freakin Expert mason to a blasted Titan who wandered up. Deadly bite, some form of ... ahhh... either gecko or chameleon, I'm not sure. Had scales and what not - Axelord made good work of him. Three pages of cuts and crap and he just keels over and dies - marksdwarves poured five bolts in, swordsdwarf didn't even get there... I was waiting for a speardwarf because the axes were apparently ineffective; but clearly, I was wrong.

Urist McShire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48609 on: October 09, 2016, 01:18:33 pm »

Rule #1. Never place marksdwarves in the field when defending against a siege. Always place them on walls or in towers so that when they go to attack the enemy with their crossbow in melee they lose line of sight and instead pick up more bolts and return to their position on the walls or in their bunker/tower. A rain of crossbow bolts striking an enemy force is a wonderful thing, especially as it often causes the foes to suffer conditions such as death or, at least, dropping their weapons and shields due to injury and pain.

vekar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48610 on: October 09, 2016, 01:45:33 pm »

It was time to check on my dwarves "relationships" so I looked and by Armok is it depressing. Currently (as a near dead civilization) my dwarves "relations" sheet reads more like an obituary. No wonder my dwarves drink so much, may as well party because hell, at the rate things are going it might be YOUR turn tonight. Some of my most "important" dwarves have the sadden friendship sheets of all considering about everyone is listed as having one piece of property: grave. Starhatches is one depressing hell hole despite the finery, it exists to keep them all from going homicidal...er...

One of them reminded me of one poor SOB in a previous fort that died somewhere along the way to Starhatchets: married (grave), romanitc (grave), friends (grave), new love interest (grave) was basically how they read, military dwarf too.

Legendary Emu

• Bay Watcher
  • Dig cisterns everyday
    • View Profile
« Reply #48611 on: October 09, 2016, 04:32:26 pm »

I got my first invasion today.

The hellfire imps lethargically wandered in from the map edge, which was nice cause I had animals outside and several people carrying rocks back to the burrow. The first casualty was a guy that was hanging around outside of the burrow for whatever reason. I stationed my hammer squad which had a decent amount of training but no armour. They bravely stood at the drawbridge, wielding their silver warhammers and wooden shields as the first of the imps came down the stairs. A few bolts from the crossbow squad were launched but they suck so none hit. One of the dwarves let loose a cry and charged at the small creature. It didn't stand a chance. He bashed the thing in the face and cracked its skull. The rest of the squad charged in as well and soon the battle truly started. Blah blah, few guys dead, more imps dead, fortress lived. The end. It was inevitable.

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48612 on: October 09, 2016, 08:08:37 pm »

A hammer lord died from thirst on a small wall.
Imagine other dorfs all drinking and laughing below him while he was busy dying on that 1 z high small wall? :-X

Urist McShire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48613 on: October 09, 2016, 11:58:58 pm »

Some goblins showed up to invade Ironhold. The problem with their siege was that there was only about 12 of them. They couldn't even get close. My archers shot half of them dead right away and the rest turned and fled.

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48614 on: October 10, 2016, 12:55:24 am »

Tried a new fort.
The founder died because the dwarves tried to fought some capybaras. A performer charged a capybara, but the founder was in the way.
The result was the founder skidded along the ground and died from blood lose, leaving a blood trail across half of the 1x1 map.
Pages: 1 ... 3239 3240 [3241] 3242 3243 ... 3842