Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3237 3238 [3239] 3240 3241 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6122957 times)

Beesarewatchingyou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #48570 on: October 04, 2016, 09:56:14 pm »

My first titan just showed up! He's a mountain titan. Unfortunately he's made of iron, not only that but he can shoot webs and fly. :o I guess that means there's no way my military can even touch him. There's no hurry since he can't get in and we don't need to go out, but I'd rather not be cut off from caravans.

The plan right now is to lure him into an enclosed space with a wooden door and then pump a ton of water up from the caverns. The water should freeze and encase him in ice as soon as it reaches the surface, since this biome is so cold. That's the only doable way I can think of right now.

Did you give DT sufficient rights to mess with DF? In linux, it needs to be sudoed or hooked with a script (I use the first, since I close down and reopen DT as needed + almost always use DFhack), and I think there's equivalents in other OSes.

Also, it can't use dust while caged. Dusting is an attack. Have fun :P

Yeah, it should have all the correct permissions. The strange thing is it seems to work sometimes, but only for specific labours. I just turned the farming labour off on both my legendary miners (probably should have done that a long time ago) but they'd still rather farm than dig. Even though dwarf therapist can't seem to tell my miners not to farm, it can tell my peasants to mine so I've been doing that. Doing a fresh install soon since there's definitely something wrong, I can live with it for now though.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #48571 on: October 04, 2016, 11:05:46 pm »

If you plan and time your freezing setup correctly, it should kill him and anything that doesn't melt ice.

On that thought, metal procedurals with deadly dust, webs and flying...all you're missing is firebreath to complete the triangle of nope (and at least those aren't all on one beast).

That said, if you capture him, you can, instead of killing, use him to set up a magma-safe silk farm or trapavoid cage traps (random silk inherits properties from the beast that spews it).
« Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 11:07:52 pm by Fleeting Frames »

Urist McShire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48572 on: October 04, 2016, 11:20:55 pm »

And that silk will be beyond valuable stuff.

In new news, I jumped back into playing with an older version fort of mine (42.06) that I was running the Defense mod for. It was my second year of the fort and I figured that I was doing pretty good until autumn rolled around.

An ambush of ferric elves arrived while I was in the middle  of building my front gate archery towers. Unfortunately for me, I was only in the early stages of my armour production and the only weapons grade material I had was copper...

7 dead militia dwarves (including the militia commander from the original 7) and 7 dead ferric elves later (most of the bastards got away, grr!) the caravan has come and gone without even making it to my trade depot, I lost a peachick from a migrant wave, but managed to get all civilians inside without casualty, except for a visiting Naga swordsman who left the fort and got brutally murdered by the elves. Now those brave dwarves who gave their lives, first to protect the civilians outside as they struggled to get back through the gates and then a second wave who went out to hold the gates while we collected our dead, are immortalized in tombs of copper.

And now we're also under siege in winter. This is going to be fun!

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48573 on: October 05, 2016, 03:38:50 am »

Dwarves began to die after I disabled all announcements.
It seems I made a mistake by assigning war dogs to the cavern workers, because dogs provoke wild animals.
 >:(

Pirate Santa

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_EATER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #48574 on: October 05, 2016, 04:36:38 am »

I have deactivated mining on my duchess lest she fall victim to the curse which seems to stalk everyone in that profession.

A force of goblins arrived. We watered the orchard with their blood. They really should send larger armies. They shot one of my cows. Irritating.
A spearmaster got sent skidding along the ground and broke his neck, with the battle over by this point he got up and walked unassisted halfway to the hospital before succumbing to his injuries. This is our first military casualty. He will be mourned.

The Boozesmith has also been ousted from his position as Mayor for the first time since he claimed it 5 years ago his corruption brought to an end at last. He has been replaced by a miner. I suspect workplace safety reforms are brewing.
Welcome to Dwarf Fortress. Where peaceful death of old age is something nobody sees coming.
it turns out Dog Bone Doctors aren't very good at doctoring.

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48575 on: October 05, 2016, 06:38:19 am »

The hospital was full. Despite the fort had lots of doctors, they didn't do anything to heal the patients.
Then I removed the old hospital and made a new hospital zone near it. This seemed to have fixed the problem because some doctors began to diagnose patients. Then I noticed a female suturer who didn't have any clothes on, was also diagnosing patients. She had a exceptional silver crutch in her left hand.

OK, we are now the mountainhome, even though we have only 134 dorfs.

taptap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48576 on: October 05, 2016, 02:17:18 pm »

Building an automated water production plant on a glacier (ok, it is just one z level of frozen ocean on the edge of my tundra embark). Thing gets larger and more complex by the day, it will probably be on par with my overengineered obsidian factory. Still surprised no one else has posted one (automated water production out of limited chunk of ice) on the forums or wiki, I thought this is a common problem.

Urist McShire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48577 on: October 05, 2016, 04:30:26 pm »

My smith made artifact steel chain leggings and my Bowyer made an artifact ash bow... I guess I'm scrounging for arrows now.

Beesarewatchingyou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48578 on: October 05, 2016, 04:41:21 pm »

I've finally trapped the iron webspinning flying titan in a tunnel. Not before he killed the caravan, an entire migrant wave and an outpost liaison though. The map is such a mess right now, webs and dead blizzard men everywhere.

There was one sacrifice in the capture, some planter who went berserk and got caged a while ago. Decided to chain him in the tunnel as bait.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2016, 04:46:17 pm by Beesarewatchingyou »
« Reply #48579 on: October 05, 2016, 04:47:51 pm »

Building a shantytown for non-Dwarf migrants right outside my gates (think Esgaroth/Dale to Erebor). I'm hoping for a dragon attack.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #48580 on: October 05, 2016, 05:58:20 pm »

That's exactly what I did! They're there specifically to die in their wooden homes before the invaders get to the stone walls of the fortress and my military.

Sometimes I send a squad out to heroically defend the citizens, sometimes not. Depends on how "unfortunate" I want the siege to be.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48581 on: October 05, 2016, 06:21:57 pm »

2 dorfs were drowned by a giant toad.
Had to pump the water to retrieve their rotten corpses.

Ah, sweet sweet mountainhome.

Next step, seal all the edges in the caverns.

Urist the CaveBear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48582 on: October 05, 2016, 09:06:00 pm »

This is a desert, there's not a drop of water to be found, and I have no idea how it got there.  Mysteries abound in Udirurdim.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #48583 on: October 05, 2016, 09:43:11 pm »

It has lungs, of course! It waddled and flopped there
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Urist the CaveBear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48584 on: October 05, 2016, 10:20:00 pm »

Huh.  Go figure.   ???
Pages: 1 ... 3237 3238 [3239] 3240 3241 ... 3842