Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3235 3236 [3237] 3238 3239 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6123078 times)

Ildac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #48540 on: October 02, 2016, 04:41:02 am »

Turkey breeding and egg farming is going well.  I wish there was some indication of which turkeys were full-size, and not just young and adult.  That'd make selective butchering much easier.

I'm running a Spartan-esque fortress; if you can't help keep the fortress fed, clothed, furnished, or armed, you're fodder for the military.  I'm even considering a pit to drop captured goblins/crippled dwarves/pesky nobles into.  Maybe I'll dig it straight down to the caverns.  Only problem there is the potential for flying forgotten beasts.

Speaking of beasts, a dwarf got possessed and made an artifact cloak with the image of a forgotten beast woven into it, with gems sewn into the fabric.  I'm thinking I'll award this to whoever manages to prove themselves worthy during the first real goblin attack.

Also, my hunters have all learned that giant hamsters are Sanic fast.

King Kitteh

• Bay Watcher
  • [SAVAGE][CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #48541 on: October 02, 2016, 05:05:04 am »

Decided to build a magnificent mega project.

Dug down to magma sea to set up forges. Miner catches fire after touching Magma. INSTANT HORRID LAG!

Had to abort because of the lag. Miner dude seemed fine up until then, climbed all the way back to the surface and milled about at the wagon, still flaming.

I'm not sure what caused the lag, the magma was flowing down a small shaft of failed magma sea breeches. Though it might be temperature calculations, turned temp off and came back, still lag.
goodnight, speep tighht, don't let the bedbugs bite

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #48542 on: October 02, 2016, 05:18:30 am »

Magma sea is large area, so the lag was probs caused by something pathing in/out of it(to the surface).

Ildac: Stick the poults in a cage and leave note on it when they were put inside. Or sort with DT.

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48543 on: October 02, 2016, 08:26:37 am »

I ordered a squad of elite melee dorfs to kill something unreachable, but they rush into the library and began to read books. A whole squad, reading!  :oWell, almost a whole squad, one or two of them were praying in the temple.

NESgamer190

• Bay Watcher
  • Crundle hugger
    • View Profile
« Reply #48544 on: October 02, 2016, 10:06:03 am »

I have begun work on a new fort in some joyous wilds next to an ocean (to avoid the evil aquifer of course), in hopes of achieving...  I'm not sure...  something?  I'm kinda at the moment setting up a fortress and seeing where to go from there, whether it's to take on the hidden fun stuff or not.  (May be a considered plan for me to take on the hidden fun stuff from long range without marksdwarves, considering how I always wind up somehow having my marksdwarves go gung-ho with the crossbow itself like a bludgeon.)

mirrizin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48545 on: October 02, 2016, 08:53:47 pm »

Began filling in the artificial lake. I wasn't sure if the pumps would be powerful enough to fill in the first level of water, but it seemed to be going well until winter hit and a good chunk of the area froze. I had to dig a new outtake for the pumps and now about half the area is covered to 5 or 6, and slowly filling in. I'm looking forward to seeing the mighty floosh when the ice melts in the spring, then see how well the water covers the rest of the area.

This is going to take a long time, we'll see how long I can commit to it. The fort is otherwise pretty much done, so not sure how I'll stay busy in the meantime, especially since the flooding project has FPS down to about 14. I can play at  14, but without big things to work on, it feels particularly slow.

Pirate Santa

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_EATER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #48546 on: October 02, 2016, 11:33:31 pm »

Welp, my Manager/Bookeeper who earned himself his own house for heroically defeating a giantess pretty much singlehandedly is dead. While channeling out the frozen solid river he somehow managed to freeze himself.
I think he must have fallen afoul of the cisterns for the failed wells.  :-[
Welcome to Dwarf Fortress. Where peaceful death of old age is something nobody sees coming.
it turns out Dog Bone Doctors aren't very good at doctoring.

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48547 on: October 03, 2016, 10:38:29 am »

140 citizens, a queen, a duke, but still just a "city"?

Derro

• Bay Watcher
  • Imprisoned Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #48548 on: October 03, 2016, 11:11:13 am »

My fortress has its first artifact! A dwarf child (ugh) got possessed (double ugh), got two of my precious logs (triple ugh) and created 'The Royal Execution' an artifact wooden toy hammer that menaces with spikes of wood (friggin' awesome).

It fits my fort so far (damned hellhole in Evil territory that idealizes demons and is experimenting with scincusthropy). I'm kind of considering waiting for the dwarf monarch to arrive at my fortress, then dropping the hammer into his room moments before I kill him in an elaborate trap.

I also created a great temple to the glory of wereskinks, which contains a slab honoring the wereskink who brought the curse divine blessing to my fortress, a slab commemorating the only werebeast casualty so far, and a custom few statues of wereskinks devouring laughing dwarves. I'll be introducing a statue garden with statues of all wereskinks soon.

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
  • Imagine a working link to Rickroll here
    • View Profile
« Reply #48549 on: October 03, 2016, 01:00:19 pm »

Try to make it the kid who activates the trap
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Ravioli Ravioli, the old broad died so now I play a Demon Loli.
Sig-texts!

Urist the CaveBear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48550 on: October 03, 2016, 05:43:31 pm »

In a phrase: Hauling.
Pictured below is the Courtyard of Udirurdim, what's not immediately apparent is that the courtyard is open to the sky, and to get that courtyard, I had to channel through roughly 40 Z's of stone around the front hemisphere of the volcano's magma chute.  The bite we took out of the mountainside to make the courtyard produced something like 50,000 stone, which we've repurposed into Blocks (basalt), for construction, or Crafts (dacite) to trade for food and drink.  At this point, I'd say I'm probably a bit less than half done with hauling it all into a central dump location (I'm quantum stock-piling this one, because anything else seemed... insane). 
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Of course, I've also been working on other projects on the side, many are basic fortress defense or sustenance tasks, but I've also breached the caverns and sealed off Cave Level 2, and finished with most of the structure of the Black Labyrinth (pictured below).

Frankly, with the scale of the courtyard and Labyrinth, I'm feeling like I was a little under-ambitious with the pyramid (the square structure sticking off the magma chute).
« Last Edit: October 03, 2016, 06:48:42 pm by Urist the CaveBear »

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48551 on: October 03, 2016, 06:37:38 pm »

FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48552 on: October 03, 2016, 06:53:24 pm »

Library and Temple.
But dorfs usually use them as dining halls.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Urist the CaveBear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48553 on: October 03, 2016, 06:56:06 pm »

Dwarfs will eat anywhere, they probably get the controllers all sticky too.

Slogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48554 on: October 03, 2016, 07:27:30 pm »

The humans arrived at my fortress. The first wagon suddenly disappeared (destroyed without message) and the other wagons fled. There are now several merchants partying in my tavern but none in my trade depot.
Pages: 1 ... 3235 3236 [3237] 3238 3239 ... 3842