Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3220 3221 [3222] 3223 3224 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6124440 times)

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #48315 on: August 30, 2016, 08:46:17 am »

I got 36 fucking poets visiting my bar.

It's like the bardic society is holding a convention, we've got two equally-sized groups of human and goblin poets filling the tavern way beyond capacity. Shits seriously jam-packed, yo. And to top it off we have a Lord Consort presiding over what I can only assume is some sort of musical contest.

Yes, this is very immersing and cool, but I've had to set all three brewers to brew on repeat and planted extra farms because the groups have been here months, are drinking solidly, and show no signs of leaving.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #48316 on: August 30, 2016, 09:31:22 am »

Aah, Woodstock.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

StarWars1981

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48317 on: August 30, 2016, 09:12:00 pm »

Ishlumonol (Nutsmountain; appropriate title for some of the dwarves, even though I play a nice safe fortress ... in a terrifying area) is rolling along. Armorsmiths are pumping out armor; the demand is such that I'm going to go ahead and train three more from Novice and Competent to build armor faster. It's taking FOREVER, and I haven't even started the breastplates and helms yet!
Other than that, I resolved the glitched goblin. I de-pastured the animals in the aboveground pen; they wandered off; militia was redispatched, and the goblin was dispatched. One hammerdwarf, three blows. Crushed an arm, crushed a shoulder into his chest, and broke his head open. The rest of that squad was still wandering over when it was done. Other goblins still staying put. Gonna have 8 disappear inside the walls, then see what the others do. I'll let another squad in, close the bridge to contain the violence, then release the hounds of war. No casualties, due to them facing small numbers of goblins, and the siege will eventually run off, cause they refuse to advance down the trap corridor. I'm gonna have to fix that; maybe if I change the traps? Move them back a ways? I dunno, I've already got a bait dog in there and the fortress drawbridge (internal) is still down ...
Smelting iron. And gold. And re-melting sub-quality armor items. I want LIVING dwarves for down deep, not crippled ones missing fingers, arms, hands, legs, and/or heads.
Soon I'll breach the caverns; gotta find a couple FBs down there, kill them, and clear cavern wildlife. I want to set up a capture zone, various bridges and things to let creatures into/out of contraptions designed to drop them a few z's into cages. Probably just a retracting bridge. Then I can farm dangerous stuff down there.
Also, I'll need a magma-creature capture device ... hmm. ... now that will be an interesting challenge to set up. Perhaps a cave-in to drop the required material down there, and maybe even clear out magma? Or just obsidianify the entire top layer, and cave it in when I'm prepared to fill it back. If I flood the top layer of obsidian with a low level of water, then dig down individual tiles to obsidianify the next layer ... hmmm. I know my fort's megaproject, other than adamantine gear for all 24 melee dwarves.

S.K. Ren

• Bay Watcher
  • I disbelieve and jump!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48318 on: August 31, 2016, 01:22:40 am »

Spent 4 years in a Terrifying biome, fighting off my own dwarfs until I succumbed to my first Invasion consisting of over 40 goblins with several trolls. Short and sweet end to a rather long and bitter fort. Maybe I'll reclaim it later.
Simon-v: How do you live in a world where Everything's Trying To Kill You?
xander_morhaime: Briefly.

Derro

• Bay Watcher
  • Imprisoned Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #48319 on: August 31, 2016, 09:07:40 am »

I continued work on Winecave's tavern, and the floor is now done.

It also seems the human traders went buggy. They left the trade depot, but not the map and now they're just... waiting. No other human caravans have arrived since, but a dwarvish one came as normal. I guess I'll just have to kill them.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #48320 on: August 31, 2016, 06:30:28 pm »

Having some fun running my little fort, testing a new critter out. Suddenly a werewolf happens. This werecurse has been buggy as fuck for me; whenever a werewolf attacks someone, they go berserk. Soon enough half a dozen dwarves and critters were berserk and killing everyone left and right. The casualties outnumbered the survivors. And the werewolf survives the whole thing only to turn back into a komeng and be chased around the map for two weeks.

Since nobody had actually been bitten to my knowledge, I figured all was well. Nope. Suddenly I have three more werewolves in my fort, and the fiasco starts anew. The casualties ramp up some more, and when the full moon wanes the dorfs go back to work. Well, everyone that wasn't currently in a fistfight with someone or something else. The chief medical dwarf is STILL chasing a cow around.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Daris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48321 on: September 01, 2016, 10:20:34 am »

Mansionvipers continues (slowly - FPS~13).  We caught a female roc, filled out our second melee squad and started a third, identified a fourth dwarf who likes to ponder medical topics, and fended off two more sieges.  The latest siege was not as impressive as the first ones, which makes me believe that we're depleting the population in the nearest goblin settlement.  :(

Soap production is on hold because we ran out of bins.

vekar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48322 on: September 01, 2016, 07:32:52 pm »

AncientSabres continues on, once again the goblin cavalry attacked more than 100 strong... Once again the militia died to the last one standing minus the marksdwarves in their tower and around 7 that were "sleeping" while the battle raged. More than 50 dead later the marksdwarves will now be culled brutally and sent in as line-infantry since the have failed time and again (they have never in over 7 years made a single kill despite there being almost 27 of them), the only survivors will be the most "elite" marksdwarves or mercenaries, the rest will be conscripted. Again as the fool I am I invested in worthless marksdwarf squads, equipment, training, etc all for nothing again. The worst of the worst however was my mental retard Legendary Armorsmith went outside to "smelt item" and walked into the goblins despite the call sounding them stopped, stood there and vomited till they caught up with him and chopped his arm off. This leaves me with one master armorsmith and NO blacksmiths. On a side note all weaponsmiths, armorsmiths, blacksmiths, etc from now on in all my forts are forbidden from smelting or doing anything other than their assigned jobs. Hell, I could CHAIN them to the forge I would.

On a good note the dwarven caravan showed up after the battle and I am dumping all the junk from the battlefield on them to save on time and make a higher profit margin.

As a final note: I have some very... "Interesting" named weapons and shields floating around the fort with very, VERY grim histories, axes with three or more owners but some twenty kills easily to their name. Basically these items should be considered cursed because to carry it guarantees you WILL DIE in the next year or two in a horrible, painful, agonizing manner.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 07:36:50 pm by vekar »

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #48323 on: September 01, 2016, 08:07:20 pm »

You can't chain smiths down, no, but you can use burrows.

Nice, cursed weapons. Put them into weapon traps on display?

vekar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48324 on: September 01, 2016, 08:45:37 pm »

Retired the fort just now but if display cases existed yes it would make for more than 30 exhibits with long stories behind each weapon. Considering how cursed the weapons are to put them in a weapons trap might invite a random glitch where the traps go off at random and take an arm or leg off whomever passes by, like I said: very cursed weapons.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #48325 on: September 01, 2016, 08:55:45 pm »

Well, with well-planned placement they could butcher babies at the very least, given they're born cave-adapted. Also, dwarves in tavern as well.

S.K. Ren

• Bay Watcher
  • I disbelieve and jump!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48326 on: September 01, 2016, 09:09:09 pm »

Made a sister fortress to the doomed one the fell to the south. instead of a Terrifying biome, I settled for a Savage one instead. Currently establishing a giant common room complete with a mist generator and masterwork everything to entertain my burgeoning population. My first siege was only 9 Goblins as opposed to the 40+ that came with my previous fortress' first siege. Much easier this time around. I'm thinking of retiring this one for a bit to try some more adventurous starts.
Simon-v: How do you live in a world where Everything's Trying To Kill You?
xander_morhaime: Briefly.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #48327 on: September 01, 2016, 11:20:43 pm »

As a final note: I have some very... "Interesting" named weapons and shields floating around the fort with very, VERY grim histories, axes with three or more owners but some twenty kills easily to their name. Basically these items should be considered cursed because to carry it guarantees you WILL DIE in the next year or two in a horrible, painful, agonizing manner.

Nice. I got an artifact adamantine great axe in my last fort, in the three years it existed it only got one kill (a blind cave ogre) and both axedwarves who wielded it died horrible deaths without getting a chance to use it in a serious fight. The first got her head crushed when a roc swooped down on her from 5 levels above, and the second slept through most of a goblin siege, and arrived to the battlefield just in time to dodge into the middle of the stream and drown.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

NeoSilverThorn

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh, not again.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48328 on: September 02, 2016, 01:29:34 am »

Well, in an auspicious start to spring, the jewel setter who'd spent winter in a fell mood went berserk.  He was uncermoniously dumped in the corpse stockpile (despite having open coffins).  He spent the first few weeks of spring in there, scaring the daylights out of everyone who came by.  Food and booze are low.  The carpenter hasn't made the beds for the migrants (the last two waves).  Hunters are low on ammunition.  The fort marches on.
"Good" is when a fortress lasts a season without major catastrophy.  "Great" is when it lasts a year.

Derro

• Bay Watcher
  • Imprisoned Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #48329 on: September 02, 2016, 10:13:33 am »

I just started a new fortress, called Overcanyon.

It's located to the north of the map, within range of dwarves, goblins, and humans. The fortress is located on the edge of a mountain range and a temperate savannah.

What makes things interesting are the limits I've placed upon myself.
-No weapons.
-No armor but cloth. Adamantine cloth will be allowed once I get it, though.
-No meat. Animals may be butchered, but the meat will have to be thrown or traded away.
-No war animals.
-No traps.
-No underground crops.

The dwarves will also live in two groups: a number of weak farmers in a wooden village, and the warriors in their mountain monastery. Warriors are allowed to go to the village, but farmers are prohibited from entering the monastery.
Pages: 1 ... 3220 3221 [3222] 3223 3224 ... 3842