Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3219 3220 [3221] 3222 3223 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6124474 times)

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #48300 on: August 28, 2016, 04:37:37 pm »

How do you sort that out from useful stuff? I built a diagonal minecart magma incinerator, but am left askance for input stockpile.

Personally I just manually designate stuff to be dumped from the refuse pile with K. It's a bit of a pain but I only really bother with it after a goblin siege when I want the corpses and goblin bits moved quickly to either refuse piles or the atom smasher dump.

In a past fort I had a minecart hauling route that took anything from refuse and corpse stockpiles until the cart was full, which would then be guided down the track to dump stuff down to the atom smasher at the end of the month to help keep refuse and corpse piles from getting too full. This had the side effect of useful stuff like bones getting atom smashed, but in that fort there were plenty of new bones popping up due to cavern creatures regularly getting killed.

I don't know if you can specify minecart hauling to take specific things (cartilage, scale, legs or teeth, etc) from refuse or corpse piles. I don't have a DF save available at the moment to check, and can't remember doing so in the past. I know (99% certain) you can have minecarts take from refuse and corpse stockpiles like any other stockpile.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

StarWars1981

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48301 on: August 28, 2016, 04:42:10 pm »

Build a grate. Build pump. Build magma reservoir atop automated pump stack that can be activated/deactivated with a lever.
Operate pump to disintegrate refuse on grate. Dump used magma right back into the reservoir.
Warning: Lock Door Before Operating Pump Manually.

Warning: Do NOT operate pumpstack before routine maintenance has been completed (check all ... well ... everything, actually; this IS a MAGMA pumpstack, after all).

Warning: Read All Directions before Attempting Construction

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #48302 on: August 28, 2016, 06:23:30 pm »

I don't know if you can specify minecart hauling to take specific things (cartilage, scale, legs or teeth, etc) from refuse or corpse piles. I don't have a DF save available at the moment to check, and can't remember doing so in the past. I know (99% certain) you can have minecarts take from refuse and corpse stockpiles like any other stockpile.
No more specific than standard refuse pile.....And I'd guess stuff like "body parts" includes both butcherable stuff and scales. Or is that shells? Not sure if nerveous tissue might be stockpiled with brains in food stockpile instead?

Though, one workaround now springs to mind to avoid losing neat stuff: One refuse pile just for neat stuff like bones, while other contains stuff like body parts/corpses/withered plants with butcher's shop and minecart dumpster nearby - most anything that doesn't get processed by butcher's first (due greater priority over low "load item into cart") can be vaporized (if there's multiple items in it, I think one might be tasked for an inactive job to load into cart, thus preventing it from being butchered)

Or actually, can skip the second pile and specify desired items in minecart stop instead.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2016, 06:26:12 pm by Fleeting Frames »

vekar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48303 on: August 28, 2016, 08:24:38 pm »

The mountainhome of Zustasash (ancientsabres) has reached a population of... 272+... Over 100 of that being guests who are crammed into the large tavern. Strangely enough, mostly female mercenaries apply to live here, reasons unknown, but the women just keep pouring in asking for residency. I partially wonder if I am getting "refugees" or a sort since all other settlements are getting burned to the ground by the roaming goblin hoards so they all visit me instead. No idea, but everyone seems to love this nightmarish hellhole...

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #48304 on: August 28, 2016, 09:04:13 pm »

Channeldwelling, the compact fortress, is in its fourth year.  My military is up to full strength, and the waterfall system is operational.

Spoiler: Z+2 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Z+1 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Z+0 (click to show/hide)

Queen Sakzod keeps demanding war hammers.  Because the only metals I can get are zinc, lead, and silver, properly outfitting my military has been a challenge.  I split my silver between war hammers and crafts for trading, and I've bought a bit of armor.
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

Daris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48305 on: August 28, 2016, 09:57:36 pm »

It's the thirty-fifth anniversary of the founding of Mansionvipers.  I've decided to see how long I can go without growing anything.  I set up a couple of gathering zones and started to process cheese; I'm going to start slaughtering the wool animals that are approaching their life expectancy as well.  The orchard is fully operational, and the year before last I got so much booze out of it that I just turned it off last year.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48306 on: August 28, 2016, 11:57:38 pm »

Gizogin: Is that on 1x1 embark? How's the FPS?

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #48307 on: August 29, 2016, 09:23:32 am »

Because the only metals I can get are zinc, lead, and silver, properly outfitting my military has been a challenge.  I split my silver between war hammers and crafts for trading, and I've bought a bit of armor.
How much silver do you have, exactly? Make silver bolts.

mirrizin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48308 on: August 29, 2016, 09:38:28 am »

A lowly novice mason just inherited the queenship of The Road of Packs, and her husband is a performer in The Deep Chocolate, a local tavern. All of her immediate family live elsewhere.

The fort put some projects on slowdown and busted tail to provide her with suitable accommodations.

StarWars1981

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48309 on: August 29, 2016, 01:06:09 pm »

Ishlumonol (Nutsmountain; that was indeed from the Random Names Generator) now faces another goblin siege. 42 goblins stand outside our gates.
Actually, 10 are locked inside the aboveground fort. I couldn't lock down early enough because they spawned as close to the the drawbridge as they really could, and the fisherdwarf (dead, now) needed it open to run for cover.
I think I'm gonna install a sally port ... and a secret (ish) door. Also a tunnel up the mountain to the river would be good. Something I can quickly lock down.

I'm waiting for the last 5 members of the militia to get over the cave adaptation from the last siege. They are standing inside the animal pen, because the invaders are not smart enough to climb the walls and shoot'em all down. Of course, with just four archers/marks-goblins, if that, they couldn't do much damage before MY four marksdwarves could bring them down. Probably. Now I think of it, I'd better turn the fortifications above the pen to walls ... that was a minor design screwup, because they wouldn't see much use unless I wanted both meat and a rapidly trained squad ... lol.
Also waiting for the second armorer to level up to Expert. Then I can involve him/her in the process of making high-quality armor. I've got low-quality and high-quality armor stockpiles. Currently, the smaller high-quality one is full. Armor is getting left in the armorsmiths' magma smiths. The low-quality one is still half-full of the crud from the last siege (reclaimed all gear off 8 captives, as well; small issue with not ONE of them making it into the Pit, unlike the first two, whom I failed to properly disarm anyways).
In other news, second tier of walls is nearly done, just a bit more to do once I clean this siege out. I'm gonna kill off the ten I trapped inside first, then I'm going to do my very best to trap ten more. Failing that, I'll kill'em all. My militia can do it; they're not even outnumbered 2-1. And I've got a Hammerlord. Grand Master hammerdwarf militia commander. Most dangerous creature in my world by far. Insanely determined, incredible will, massive strength and toughness ... he's got it all. Can't kill him, can't tire him out, can't cause enough pain to down him .... best Dwarf ever.
Once these fool Goblins die, I'm going to finish off my three-z tall "Arena", basically. It's going to have two accesses: one to funnel the siege down at first, and a second set of passages trapped from here to HFS (literally; I'm probably going to rig a washroom to drop'em down about that far) so I can have goblinite everywhere. Not that I need it, but it does provide my overworked furnace ops something to do. They're swamped making pig iron. Forget a flowing steel industry, I'm just gonna smelt all my current iron through to pig iron, then to steel. Then I'll do ALL the iron I've dug up, all at once. Then we'll create an enormous citizen militia, with the standard military working and everybody else training to become powerful soldiers. Probably set it 3-on, 3-off for scheduling, and have half-half for population training at once. It'll cut jobs to a standstill, though, so I'm going to finish the aboveground fort first. It's got 2z walls, 1z fortifications; I'm going to roof it over at least partially to prevent dodging dwarves. Then I'm going to cut the temporary wooden staircase out so they don't get any ideas. Drawbridge sealing access, all made of shale and rhyolite; same color, but neither is even magma safe, unfortunately. So no siege-busting magma weapon. At least, not unless I replace Floor 1 with quartzite walls. And probably Floor 2. And I'll need a quartzite tunnel to get marksdwarves into the top-floor shooting gallery for anything magma-proof. I.E. dragons.
No, quartzite is NOT dragonfire safe. Why do you ask?
After I finish the killing arena, I've got to install two forgotten items: First, an access to the kill-zone that is NOT inside the lockdown fort on top (contains trade depot; not that I care, but I missed the last dwarven caravan and I want to see what the elves do this year; I stole from them last year); second, a method to lock the fort down from the trapped access tunnel beneath, so I can use that too. Although they just seem to stand there forever and ignore the dwarves and dogs at the other end. Perhaps they can see the grey d's as well? Do they know these are no ordinary dogs, but vicious killing machines?
I have plans. But these blasted sieges keep getting in the way. And at one every six months (three total, in fact), I'm going to need a siege-ready militia to get me goblinite and a method to fill my garbage dump with rotting crud. And so I can keep dwarves above-ground doing work.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48310 on: August 29, 2016, 02:01:23 pm »

Then I'm going to cut the temporary wooden staircase out so they don't get any ideas. Drawbridge sealing access, all made of shale and rhyolite; same color, but neither is even magma safe, unfortunately. So no siege-busting magma weapon. At least, not unless I replace Floor 1 with quartzite walls.
Constructions (other than Track Stop) are always magma-safe; you could replace just the bridge.

Derro

• Bay Watcher
  • Imprisoned Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #48311 on: August 29, 2016, 03:13:59 pm »

One of my dwarves lost his stonecrafter son in a mining accident earlier. Today, his wife and baby son died when the wife dodged into a pool and drowned. Poor guy...

Something more positive: it seems the snake pit has been finished, with our tame giant king cobra happily lazing at the bottom. Now all I need are some goblins to throw in...

StarWars1981

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48312 on: August 29, 2016, 08:37:37 pm »

Idiot dwarves in my fort are standing around ignoring kill orders on a goblin crossbowman, in the very crowded livestock pen. They're just dodging his ineffectual attempts to bash them, and it just says "He Missed"; they don't try to do anything. If dismissed from the orders, they act as if he doesn't exist. Nothing I've done can get them to kill him. Why not???
Other than that, just so this IS an update, goblins still camping. The ten inside the walls refuse to advance down my straight-line hall of cages. Armorsmiths now both working on greaves and gauntlets; I want my mail shirts, helms, and breastplates to be top-quality, so I'll sacrifice a bit of quality on the gauntlets, boots, and greaves to level them without more excessive time being spent on leveling them. Just ALMOST finished melting the last load of goblinite. I'm so dang close.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48313 on: August 30, 2016, 12:01:18 am »

Close to what?

And eh, might be locked in brawl mode combat....Conflict system is buggy.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #48314 on: August 30, 2016, 08:38:52 am »

Pages: 1 ... 3219 3220 [3221] 3222 3223 ... 3842