Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3213 3214 [3215] 3216 3217 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6124782 times)

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #48210 on: August 16, 2016, 07:50:07 pm »

I really have no idea where to put this, so I'm putting it here.

I was digging through my fort's world's history and found something amazing - a night creature groom who had been reintegrated into society. Quathari had been abducted by a night creature in 208, a week after he got married. In 221 he took up residence in a sewer in a human town. In 232 that human town was conquered by elves, causing Quathari to become a refugee. He settled in a human hamlet in 233, which is where he became a reformed citizen. He became lord the year after. Then later that same year he was killed in battle with the same elves, who conquered his little hamlet.

The Tragedy of Quathari would make a good story.

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #48211 on: August 16, 2016, 08:35:11 pm »

nothing worth reporting, as my forts die by gamecrash regularly and i hate losing 2 months of labor to random crashes.
can't wait for weekly autosaves.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #48212 on: August 16, 2016, 09:05:42 pm »

A troll somehow snuck into the fort and went straight for the queen's palace. It smashed down the throne room door and ran into the dining room and down the ramp, where it sat while the queen and the rest of the militia readied in the hallway outside. I sent them in, and the queen is the first to arrive and immediately starts breaking bones with her hammer. The troll causes no further injury and is put down quickly. The king-consort is credited with the kill.

I also found that armorer's corpse after I noticed a statue made of the guy. Turns out he died of dehydration, and after trawling through the corpse lists I found him. Stuck up a tree, only one story off the ground.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

ThatZommy

• Bay Watcher
  • Am royalty
    • View Profile
« Reply #48213 on: August 16, 2016, 09:28:08 pm »

Still on the temple fort with Urist Christ, things are going somewhat well.
By "Somewhat well" I mean bad stuff happened, but good stuff also happened and I think the good stuff barely outweighs the bad stuff.

So, I was mass producing figurines of Urist Christ, like ya do, when my first WereLizard shows up. I sent my militia of half-trained dwarves against it, thinking it ought to be easy enough to murder.
Nope.
Instead, it keeps fighting even as it's limbs are lopped off one by one, near death genuinely STRANGLING MY MANAGER TO DEATH, and then proceeds to mortally wound my militia commander and combat medic. The HealSmith is taken as far as the front door of the fort by my medical dwarf before dying and being dropped, while the Commander manages to survive all the way up to the hospital room entrance. Nobody else was injured, of course, so deconstructing the tavern's beds for the hospital was unnecessary.

On the other hand, this fight broke the merchants, who ended up just standing there all winter. I built a new depot and deconstructed the original, which actually left me with everything the caravan brought. So, atleast the remaining militia ought to be armed.
Er, atleast I think that's right.

Maul_Junior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48214 on: August 17, 2016, 05:14:17 am »

Year 3.5 of Dagerraven--Summer of Year 5.

We've managed to survive and thrive. We hit 28 dwarves last year, and we have three kids--one about 10 months, another 4 years, and 6 years. From here on out we only get replacements if we mess up. Or if we wait 12 years for the little leeches to be useful.

The Human caravan apparently lost a wagon somehow while they were approaching the depot. Which was good, because they were heading for the original depot, not the new depot that can be sealed off from the outside world. The original depot has been deconstructed, and ~3 years worth of trade were dumped all over the place.

That, along with about 2.5 years worth of backed-up hauling, has meant that everything has ground to a halt, called by me, while we catch up. We have 566 units of alcohol, and over 1,000 units of food, so we won't be starving. Literally the only person still working is our Grower.

The cavern drawbridge is down, so we won't need to worry about anyone coming in that way.

We are starting to run into issues with clothes wearing out (a problem I have never had to deal with because shit happens to my forts LOOOOONG before it becomes a problem), and we didn't manage to snag leather/cloth from the human convoy like we were hoping.

Created Wealth is ~70k shy of 1M Urists, 20% of that is armor/clothing, 25% weapons. We've only exported ~80k. Most of the wealth is from melting down anything that isn't Masterwork, and abusing the 120/150% options for grinding out smith levels and increasing stocks of metal bars.

It's time to settle back and chill for a year or so--that's probably about how long it will take for everyone to finish hauling everything. I don't normally use fastdwarf, but in this one case, because I'm SOOOOOO far behind, I'm going to tag it in.

Dwarfen Caravan, 4th Year of the fort in the Year 6

We are now a Barony. Not really ever having made it this far before, I'm giving it to my fort's first Swordsmaster. He likes wood, but I don't hold that against him.

Our clothing situation is becoming rather desperate, since we didn't get the massive shipment of cloth and leather the humans have been providing. We're hoping the Mountainhome has a good selection this year.

In other news, construction of the Bunkers has begun. Each Bunker will connect with each other, as well as the main Fort. The Bunkers will be shallow, approximately 10 Z-levels high, but each one will have enough resources and raw materials to start over if necessary.

The Bunkers will also serve as "suggested relationship acquisition facilitation centers," for those Dwarves that love each other, but DON'T KNOW IT YET YOU IDIOTS. Each will be equipped with a Meeting Center, and the dwarves therein will have few duties.

The Food Bunker:

The Food Bunker will be responsible for providing alcohol for both Bunkers and the main Fort. All three will have emergency booze/food supplies stored behind gates.

The Smith Bunker:

The Smith Bunker will be responsible for producing Masterworks for export, as well as armor and weapons for our own troops. Both bunkers and the main fort will have a few suits of armor and weapons locked behind gates in case of emergency.

The Smith Bunker will NOT be responsible for smelting *all* of the ores found. For now, that will remain the main fort's responsibility.

Each Bunker is separated by the chasm above a spit in the river, below. Each Bunker has bridges that connects it to the other Bunker and the main Fort. Each Bunker has an airlocked Transfer Level that can be sealed off from both the main Fort as well as the Bunker itself, allowing the transfer of material, but not dorfs.

For our first, test, run, only the prospective Smith couple and the prospective Brewer couple will be occupying the Smith Bunker and the Smith Bunker respectively.

Our only married couple is responsible for 3 kids so far, but if this fort is to become truly generational and fully succeed, we will need more couples.

There is the possibility of sub-bunkers within each Bunker and the Main fort itself, where the prospective couples will have nothing to do but get to know each other. If, after a year, they have not killed each other or gone made, we hope that they will be married.

Aaaaaand that was easy.

Well, simple but not easy.

If I ever ask for Mugs again, please bash me right in the face.

Yes, there are some metallic mugs in there, but there's a LOT more gem and stone mugs.

What I wouldn't give for the ability to melt down blocks, items, etc that are made of metal-bearing materials for like 50-75% of a bar.

And lst but not least, by any measure.....

SIX HUNDRED FIFTY UNITS OF LEATHER.

Thank Armok. We should be okay until the next human caravan. Or next year, when I asked for all the thread, cloth, and leather they could spare.

I've had 2 Clothesmaking moods, so it will be a big help.

2 Clothes moods, a Glass, a Leather, a Weapon, an Armor, and a Mason. Got a couple of chairs and a Coffer out of it. I just wish that the Armorer hadn't made just ONE boot. and a Low boot at that.

Time to slaughter the 81 animals we just bought before they starve, like last year, and cause miasma to float around for like 6 months. But we're ready this time. About a hundred or so spare pots, the butcher isn't backed up, and once the Caravan leaves we're going to seal our surface entrances until the Elves show up.

Then throw a couple Masterworks at their faces, steal their animals, slaughter them, and wait for the humans.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2016, 05:22:32 am by Maul_Junior »
Quote from: Meph
I didn't actually say this.

Quote from: smurfingtonthethird
there is nothing funnier than watching a goblin army get assaulted by hundreds of war chickens.

Any new discovery, sufficiently weaponize, is indistinguishable from !!FUN!!

mirrizin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48215 on: August 17, 2016, 08:01:50 am »

So, I got a baron, and not really having a good idea of who to promote, I picked a random legendary thing-maker.

I was pleased to see that the baron had a consort, and went to see who she was, and alas, she was gone.

Most of the deaths in this fort are consequences of sieges or FB incursions, so I was imagining that she must've been some decorated soldier, but it was not to be.

She was actually the fort's first casualty, she'd climbed up a tree within the first three or so years and dehydrated.

I commissioned a rose gold statue of her. It was a statue depicting her marriage to the now-baron. They were embracing.

That statue is now in his tomb. Sigh.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #48216 on: August 17, 2016, 09:14:52 am »

She was actually the fort's first casualty, she'd climbed up a tree within the first three or so years and dehydrated.
Why must romances be tainted with such stupidity?

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #48217 on: August 17, 2016, 10:44:28 am »

Probably because the game is in alpha and incomplete.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #48218 on: August 17, 2016, 06:01:05 pm »

don't millions of romances end by some kind of stupidity?
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

Arthropleura

• Bay Watcher
  • Elven Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #48219 on: August 17, 2016, 08:25:09 pm »

Stupidity is the sign of true and honest love. In fact, the only real way to know your truly in love is if your lover goes off and gets themselves killed. As the saying goes, "If you love them, set them free, if they dehydrate in a tree, it was meant to be"
We are currently three turns in, and the main hall is coated in blood, intestines and random corpses. There's a huge pile of 3000 items made of human body parts in a corner and remaining members of the staff of the museum are, as I type this, being slowly choked to death by one of our adventurers.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48220 on: August 17, 2016, 08:35:03 pm »

Stupidity is the sign of true and honest love. In fact, the only real way to know your truly in love is if your lover goes off and gets themselves killed. As the saying goes, "If you love them, set them free, if they dehydrate in a tree, it was meant to be"

Well then United States presidential candidate [insert specific doofus here before post] must LOVE AMERICA  8)
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Daris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48221 on: August 17, 2016, 08:51:36 pm »

Another year, another siege.  These are actually somewhat dangerous, given that I have 1 melee squad and zero other militia, and the two sieges thus far have been multiple pages of enemies.  I've gotten control by letting the goblins spread out, so that my militia don't exhaust themselves.  This results in a lot of ... colors, across large sections of the embark.

Like the last siege, this one was led by a human.  Not sure what's up with that.

Shurikane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shurikane.com
« Reply #48222 on: August 17, 2016, 09:45:25 pm »

Two dwarves were unlucky enough to get bitten by a werebison.

So I did what any sane overseer would do.

I locked them both into a vault-prison, and sealed the wall behind them.

Sure enough, on the next moon, both of them turned into werebisons, sealing their fate.

The first one shall be remembered under the moniker of "Buffalo Buffalo".  His compatriot, visibly more muscular, was named "Like A Bos".

StarWars1981

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48223 on: August 18, 2016, 09:37:30 am »

Nutsmountain (Ishlumonol) has suffered its first goblin siege. After four years, 136 dwarves, one death (the moron walked into a rotting dust cloud), and over 1.6 million wealth at the end of the second year (haven't checked since), we suffered a massive siege of .... ten goblins. Ten. Two waltzed into the cage traps. The rest just stood there, so I sent the militia out to kill them off.
Results: 8 dead goblins, not even a scratch on the dwarves, equipped only with weapons and shields. Training has an excellent effect on survivability. I've lost one militia dwarf so far, he was attacked by a giant gray langur while off-duty and his right arm was disabled. As a High Master furnace operator, I discharged him; I had no idea he had leveled that fast, but his Competent Axedwarf and other skills weren't good enough to keep him, not with his rapid furnace operation. And now he's a Grand Master, and "Stressed". That blasted crippled arm is causing him too many unhappy thoughts; also I hadn't assigned rooms specifically, they were just sort of built and left for Dwarves to claim. He hadn't claimed one, so I built him one and fitted it with a brass armor stand (he likes brass).
Other than that ... goblinite: useless. Copper crap. Few pieces of iron. All going either down the melter or to the newly-arrived elven caravan. We'll see if they've got anything fun; but it doesn't look like it, xD. They appear to have spawned in a very safe biome, so there's nothing even giant come from their caravans. Just stock animals I can get off the dwarven caravan. Oh well.
Magma project is coming along; constructing iron pumps is a pain in the rear, but it's going to be worth it when I don't have to clearcut the map for charcoal anymore. I cut it down completely - twice now, and I've kept large parts deforested for a long time. Hoping the elves get angry - I could use some militia training. Also, any powerful mounts can be bred. I'm trying to get a kill-pit assembly; two mass pits, one for breeding, the other for militia to kill off dangerous creatures with steel armor and wooden training weaponry.
Or just normal weaponry, if I can get a dragon or such.
"Urist McAxedwarf has died." "Cause: Training Mishap. Dragon turned unexpectedly and bit him in half."

xandalis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48224 on: August 18, 2016, 12:16:16 pm »

More from Alathlisid...

One of those elephant herds has popped up again. I'm currently trying to steer them towards a few cage traps, with 5 guardsdwarves. They're decked out with full steel armor&weapons, and "fresh" from the danger room, so they're all pretty much walking cuisinarts (if it should come to that). However... Armok must not like me much, as I'm suddenly getting FPS death. Had been going along fine at about 15fps on most z-levels, with a 65 population and 44x44 fungi-wood farm.

edit: Ah-ha! found the problem. A falcon got into the central stairwell, and I guess the constant terror sources caused it to try pathing in impossible directions. Killed it, FPS has returned to normal.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 12:54:06 pm by xandalis »
Pages: 1 ... 3213 3214 [3215] 3216 3217 ... 3842