Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3207 3208 [3209] 3210 3211 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6125234 times)

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #48120 on: August 10, 2016, 01:54:44 pm »

Crundle managed to knock a carpenter into the cavern lake. Slabs ensue. :V

Other than that, my plan to annoy the fuck out of the demons is going well. I'm gonna need to work around the fact that demons might melt my bridge I'm gonna use for ye olde mining exploit.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #48121 on: August 10, 2016, 02:00:09 pm »

Other than that, my plan to annoy the hell out of the demons is going well.
FTFY

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #48122 on: August 10, 2016, 02:08:42 pm »

Now that pun is just hellish. Wait, now you got me doing it. D:
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #48123 on: August 10, 2016, 02:20:27 pm »

Nothing much of interest has happened in "Youngbastion," the fort in a world that's been dead for a thousand years. Lots of work

Got magma forges up and running. They required glass blocks since I haven't found a supply of magma safe materials. Got a basic dining hall, which lacks furnishings, and dormitories. I think I'm just going to have everyone sleep in the dorms, assign the beds to them. Be a communal bedroom. Haven't done that in a long time.

Also haven't had to make royal quarters in a long time either. My expedition leader became the queen, and for a brief instant I had no bookkeeper or other positions. Then one of the migrants took over as expedition leader. The queen has married my craftsdwarf, and together they now have one child; Olin, the prince.

We've actually gotten a caravan, though no liaison, and a third wave of migrants bringing the population up to 53. Come the end of this next year I expect the mayor to be elected, and then I can really fret about nobles' quarters. The queen isn't happy about having a shitty dining room, but she's not angry either. Her mandates have been maces, which is good, and querns, which is fine. Won't let us export either, though.

Okay, so I just learned an armorer has been missing for a week. We have no combat logs aside from the militia sparring and a farmer doing a poor job gelding a dog. I've a mystery to solve!
« Last Edit: August 10, 2016, 02:26:43 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

vekar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48124 on: August 10, 2016, 05:17:25 pm »

Immigrant wave in Inkedjoys, coincided with a giant chameleon that jumped them... They beat almost 30 teeth out of its head and ripped (no weapons) one leg off before it finally died of blood loss and agony. I drafted these dwarves into a new fodder squad.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #48125 on: August 10, 2016, 05:41:34 pm »

The duke/baron/mayor of Metalhowl had a meeting with the elf liaison. The elves asked the dwarves to restrict woodcutting to just 100 trees. I denied it and sent the woodcutters out to level half the forest in response. Getting into a war with elves is fine by me.

The elf liaison reported that some goblin armies have been on a roll through the countryside. The Path of Boots and The Anger of Snarls are two armies that could come siege Metalhowl. Maybe. I hope they will. I'm getting rather bored with the fort. One of those armies is led by a demon. I wonder if the demon would show up during a siege by that army.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

nomoetoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Victorian Walrus
    • View Profile
« Reply #48126 on: August 10, 2016, 08:54:55 pm »

No goblin attacks, I'm almost 100% sure at this point that they cant get to me which is understandable since my fort is literally on the other side of the world from them, sad but that's just how it is, while the elves didn't attack my fort they did attack a fort somewhere, I was hoping for an attack here but I can understand why they haven't I'm at the northern tip of the world and from what I can tell is a losing war against the humans which has been going on well over a decade. Also the queen died and someone had to take her place, unfortunate but that's life.

The giant wolverines are breeding quite a bit, I might have to start butchering some, they actually outnumber the dwarves at this point, I'll put most of them in the two cages up front and have them be ready to be released if I'm attacked, should be interesting, or disappointing, either way.

I like this fort, I've got a large population of vicious giant wolverines, I started a war between the elves and dwarves, there's blood and vomit pretty much everywhere, every stone product is made from obsidian, the only real downside is that I haven't been attacked once, not even a single thief! Though that is my fault since I picked a location on the northern side of the planet and pretty much all of the other sites are located far to the south.

There really isn't anything left to do at this point, I doubt I'll ever be attacked, the duchess has an heir and I completed my goal of taming and breeding the giant wolverines, I suppose I should retire and begin working on the next fort, not sure what I plan on doing with it though, should be interesting though since my civ will likely still be at war with both the goblins and elves, I'll probably won't antagonize the humans though, I like them, and being at war with every other civ on the planet probably isn't a good idea anyway.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2016, 09:51:19 pm by nomoetoe »
The most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. At least that's what the restraining order says.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #48127 on: August 10, 2016, 10:44:23 pm »

There is a tribe of troglodytes stuck in a spore tree in the second cavern. They're beginning to produce babies. Which have all wandered off. One of them just now fell out of the tree and bonked her little head on the floor of the cavern lake, her predecessor crawled from where he fell out of the tree underneath another tree where he's now drowning, and a third has climbed all the way across the treetops to the other side of the lake, and up a couple more stories to boot.
There's also a magma crab hanging out underneath my forges now. This is separate from the volcano pipe I built around; I wanted to avoid being tormented by magma crabs so I channeled the magma down underneath the forges I put nearby.
We've also been harassed by gray langurs. Dozens of them. All dead, because the militia is bored.

I've been raising some overtheres, a modded livestock animal, which are providing a buttload of everything I need. Because there's so damn many of them now. By the time I sorted and sifted the first generation hatchlings their parents had already laid a second clutch which also hatched in that timeframe.
Sadly they don't provide any drinkable products (dwarves wont drink blood or milk, how sad) so we had a bit of a dry spell, lasted about three months. Turns out we had completely run out of brewable plants and brewing got shutdown. Built more farms now!

I've noticed on the 'c'iv screen that the merchants from my civ have been going back and adopting normal civ titles. I have no idea where they actually are, because there shouldn't be any other inhabited sites in the world, unless you count caves. The new liaison didn't mention founding or reclaiming any sites, either. Dunno, maybe living in a cave isn't noteworthy enough to inform the queen of.

I've learned that the metal ores listed on the embark screen happen to be native copper, sphalerite, galena, and tetrahedrite. Which means the caravan is the only way to acquire iron or steel. There's no cassiterite available but they can still bring me bronze. Huh.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Ptolom

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #48128 on: August 11, 2016, 09:58:02 am »

I managed to embark with no tools and no metal with which to make any. We survived in a wooden hut until Autumn at which point I was able to trade for some copper to make picks. Everything was going perfectly until I decided to demolish the hut after moving underground. I thought I was designating the demolition safely but I must have missed something vital because the roof collapsed with such force it segfaulted the game.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #48129 on: August 11, 2016, 10:42:40 am »

"A section of your computer has collapsed." :P

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #48130 on: August 11, 2016, 01:54:03 pm »

Metalhowl had another siege. Around 40 or 50 goblins. Military handled it well.

However, I was overconfident. I let dwarves and goblins fight too close to the stream, and multiple military dwarves would fall into the stream. 2 highly skilled dwarves drowned, including the axedwarf armed with the artifact adamantine great axe The Great Cudgel. Sad day. I'm starting to think the great axe is cursed; this is the second axedwarf who used it and died almost helplessly. First the roc that crushed the first axedwarf's head, now the second axedwarf and drowning.

Additionally, lost one of my favorite speardwarves who got mobbed by goblins, including a goblin lasher, while tired. She died in the aftermath of the battle, laying on the ground, covered in pools of her own vomit. Rovod Trussedoil was the second most experienced spear dwarf, had been serving in the fort military since its formation and had been with the fortress military for six years by then, and had the second highest killcount in the fortress, second only to the spear captain. Rovod had 24 kills total, including several named cavern beasts that had killed other dwarves. There's an artifact green glass figurine of her killing a named cave crocodile. I'll miss that badass lass.

Don't know if I should continue with the fort now, or retire it, or summon the demons and destroy it. I kinda want to take an adventurer and get the Great Cudgel, and running Metalhowls is getting slow and boring.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

StarWars1981

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48131 on: August 11, 2016, 04:48:10 pm »

Going great in Nutsmountain. Working on a steel industry; no coal, so I'm running off dang charcoal. It's a pain in the rear, but oh well. Tons of iron, also found sphalerite and tetrahedrite, so brass is coming along nicely. Dunno what I'll do with it, but I'll find something. Gonna equip my military with high-quality steel equipment first, then perhaps I'll create a "Nobles Squad" and give them stupid-high-quality brass to make them happy with themselves. Or not. I might just use it for weapons in a weapon trap, come to think of it. Oughta hit hard enough.
Gray Langurs, Giant Gray Langurs everywhere. Militia has had 1 dwarf get his arm torn apart; he passed out, and healed while waiting for the idiot medical dwarves to fix him. So now he's stressed. I booted him from the squad; he gets "Terrified" when watching things die (has 1 Dark Gnome kill) and he's also a High Master furnace op.
Other than that, no goblin sieges yet. They WERE neighbors, but this world was spawned with over 100-something total Semi/Megabeasts. Plus hundreds of were-creatures, demon types, secret types, and what else I could find. Plus it's high savagery. They probably died out already. I'll have to temporarily retire and check, lol.
Still playing in 40.24, just btw. Haven't updated yet. Didn't want to fiddle with it, and I had forts to play with after a long break from DF.
Close to attempting to aggravate the elves. Gotta build out my defensive system first. This is gonna be a 3-z tall room, very large. Going to contain traps, Dwarven Pressure Washer (later, first just a flooding tool to push invaders into a drowning pit), marksdwarf towers, and then the killing fields (war dogs pastured inside mazes; behind that, a ledge where they can all come out and then funnel into the waiting dwarven soldiers, past the ballistas. Possibly tame GCS, if that's even possibly; if not, if I ever capture one, it'll be posted there to string'em up for the ballista. May also add a  "Release the Hounds of War" button, to drop dozens of war dogs into the maze areas. Or War Bigger-and-Nastier-Things.
But this is in the future. For now, a small hallway with cagetraps and a poorly equipped militia provide "defense". Also 8 war dogs, who tear Giant Gray Langurs to pieces very well.

Daris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48132 on: August 11, 2016, 05:17:50 pm »

Y'all, a vile force of darkness has arrived for the third time, and the population of Mansionvipers is still not 80.  The group was small, like the others, maybe 30 goblins, led by the human Dostngosp Dashednightmare, who ran in terror at the sight of some armed dwarves.  I suppose the prior sieges had told stories about Mansionvipers being unarmed, and it was a shock when that turned out to no longer be true.  Most of the goblins got away, but Dashednightmare fell, beheaded by a swing of a pick.

Other than that, things go quietly.  We replaced our dogs with giant grizzly bears, and our population grows slowly but steadily, now at 69.  The current project is to train up three skilled dyers so that future wardrobe changes go smoothly, while waiting for kiddos to grow up and more kiddos to be born.

nomoetoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Victorian Walrus
    • View Profile
« Reply #48133 on: August 11, 2016, 05:21:58 pm »

New world, new fort, I have made a new moondance, very few trees but there is a ton of magnetite and I have only one cavern layer so I was able to set up a magma smelter rather quickly, so I won't have to use my precious wood supply for charcoal, I'll just have to wait and see how things go.
The most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. At least that's what the restraining order says.

Goatmaan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48134 on: August 11, 2016, 07:52:44 pm »

40.19 Anvillocked still stands, and even with 950 total dwarfs, still refuses to stand still!! :P
We are struggling thru despite many setbacks, most recently 52 deaths. In another thread I said how easy it was using Therapist to enable hauling on over 200 children that had matured over the last several years. It was. With idlers now running in the 300/400 range it was time to haul all the accumulated crap that needed it, ran clean owned scattered x. Eventually I saw the miasma, soon after I realized what happened. Being used to the depot square dance 200+ idlers creates, I gave no thought to 400+. For the first time four 3x1 stairs failed to hold them. 47 died. Those fort born children have many psychological issues (can't handle stress, cracks easily, tendency to berserk, you name it they have it) and I hadn't bothered checking 200 profiles when I gave them BURIAL!! Quantum happiness shift. On the verge of the largest tantrum spiral ever seen. Oh yay!!
That crises seems averted for now, but 20 are still borderline.
In other news both vamps have escaped confinement, so ill have some more deaths soon. Finding them in the justice screen is uh, painful. More joy.
Therapist fails to report migrants/births after 1098. It's now 1109.
It may be linked to the lack of logs, and ALL caravans bringing only logs and food for many years now. Makes trading awesome, but lack of migrants means Anillocked's goal of 1000 adults, slips further from my grasp.
A game day takes 7 min 10 seconds at 3 fps.  :o

More failures to follow I'm sure.

Goatmaan

P.s. game is rock f'n solid, only found 1 way to crash it. Designating to many max size paved roads/ floors.
Smoothing/engraving too large an area will lag it.
And finally, unforbidding clothes on the only qsp I HAD. (Caused major stutter/df not responding) Really thought that was the end, I'll never have another qsp. In ANY fort. EVER.
Those of you who run several qsp's should try disabling them 1 by 1 to see if they help. Its one experiment I won't do, I'm already convinced.
My !!XXcpuXX!! *HATES* me.
Pages: 1 ... 3207 3208 [3209] 3210 3211 ... 3842