Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3188 3189 [3190] 3191 3192 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6126436 times)

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #47835 on: July 15, 2016, 06:53:23 pm »

I prefer zones for sonar myself - larger, and show pits as well. Make empty tubes really obvious, tbh.
Damn you, crocodiles! Damn you all to hell! That was my most important labourer! How am I going to make my fledgling fort survive now?!

Actually, that's a good idea. Breed giant crocodiles, spew them into hell. Combine with cave-in traps, repeat, win.
Hm, normally anything you pit onto slade will splatter, but didn't tame birds avoid fall damage? Having Jabberer/Roc/Duck army down there before you uncork could be entertaining, at least.

Giant groc spewing would probably need a waterfall for them to have a chance to survive the fall by swimming upwards, I think.

Awessum Possum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47836 on: July 15, 2016, 06:58:06 pm »

Um... So in addition to the madness and terrible terrible magma related disasters... Is it uh, normal for Magma Crabs to breed? 'Cause they keep having triplets down there and there's 39 of them now and I'm scared.

Craaab people, craaab people...

You should just drain the magma sea and pray to Armok for mercy.

As soon as the windmills finish I'm gonna fill my volcano with obsidian. I'll build a grate protected cistern for my manufacturing needs.
because everyone here is OCD and ADHD, and then complain when their dwarfs act similarly in game.
@I used to be an axelord like you, until I took a (+bronze bolt+) to the upper leg, chipping the bone through the *copper leggings*!@

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #47837 on: July 15, 2016, 07:06:25 pm »

I think this sums up last season's goblinite donation.
Not sure what I'm looking at.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #47838 on: July 15, 2016, 09:24:09 pm »

I think this sums up last season's goblinite donation.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

EDIT: My strength patience has been broken - I seem to be cursed so I never find caverns!

Seriously, what does that entail again? I've already dug down  20 z-levels (2x2 staircase)...

Depending on your world's configuration settings, it can be pretty easy to miss the caverns with just a single staircase.  The defaults can produce caverns that are just a series of twisty passages with few open spaces.  I recommend using dwarven deep sonar to find them (make a 10x10 farm patch and move it around in the darkness until it changes color).

That's cheating.

But given the scale of weird shit in Dwarf Fortress 2 (oh god send help)... I suppose this is nothing.

Anyway, Rhymesyrup has been established in the savannahs not too far from a city.

No hostile local civilizations have been detected, hopefully I'll perform my military blunders AFTER I've breached the caverns as opposed to before.

I'm following the same procedure as before, digging in underground while getting ALL THE PLANTS aboveground.

And apparently trampling a few 'cause dwarves follow all the same pathfinding procedures.

EDIT: I felled a ginkgo tree and it opened up a hole in my fort's hallway.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2016, 09:29:33 pm by AzyWng »

Daris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47839 on: July 15, 2016, 10:07:40 pm »

That's cheating.

Pshaw.  Next you'll be saying that atom smashing one's enemies is cheating, or squeezing 60 rocs into one cage is cheating.  These are charming features that reflect dwarven mastery of higher dimensional space, not cheats.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #47840 on: July 15, 2016, 10:08:56 pm »

That's cheating.

Pshaw.  Next you'll be saying that atom smashing one's enemies is cheating, or squeezing 60 rocs into one cage is cheating.  These are charming features that reflect dwarven mastery of higher dimensional space, not cheats.

As I said immediately after that statement, given the scale of weird shit, dwarven deep sonar is nothing.

By the way, Daris, how do I tell if the sonar's detected a cave?

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #47841 on: July 15, 2016, 10:14:41 pm »

For zone, it shows pit/meeting area. For roads, it shows floor only with green or purple tiles.

Zone catches higher off things with pits, roads show bit of the layout. Neither one gives nearly as good overview as an actual pierce, but they do give you the location.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47842 on: July 15, 2016, 11:08:19 pm »

I built a small fort in a reanimating biome. Everything was going great until a pet yak died of starvation, became a zombie, and murdered everyone else.

GG zombies.

I decided to start another fort in the same world. This time, I butchered my farm animals at the beginning.

Unfortunately, skin and hair can reanimate even if the animal was butchered. The skin was basically harmless, but yak skin is fairly massive and does murder dwarves. Which it did.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47843 on: July 15, 2016, 11:13:16 pm »

I had a Wereopossum show up out of nowhere and attack a couple passersby before my nearby military squad could even close half the distance. Of course, in a fortress of 120 individuals, the closest one to the Wereopossum had to be the mayor.
So the mayor and a novice mechanic both got savaged and bitten 3+ times each while the speardwarves helpfully stabbed it a dozen times in every nonlethal location they could think of. It eventually died of blood loss.
I was just starting to grow deeply concerned over the the prospects of managing meetings with a Wereopossum mayor when he helpfully bled out and saved me the trouble. The mechanic, however, rudely survived and dragged himself to the hospital where my surgeons needlessly unloaded half the hospital's supplies into putting him back together.

Lucky for me I designed my hospital with individual rooms, so the upshot is a new permanent hospital fixture: "That one walled-up room with a wereopossum mechanic in it".
It's been several months and he's long-since smashed all the furniture in the room. I really expected him to eventually get depressed from the isolation and lack of, well, anything. But instead, he's just so fucking blissed about putting on the same two masterwork mussel-shell amulets every time he wakes up naked on the floor that he's one of the happiest dwarves in my entire fortress.

Derro

• Bay Watcher
  • Imprisoned Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #47844 on: July 16, 2016, 01:38:21 am »

I had a Wereopossum show up out of nowhere and attack a couple passersby before my nearby military squad could even close half the distance. Of course, in a fortress of 120 individuals, the closest one to the Wereopossum had to be the mayor.
So the mayor and a novice mechanic both got savaged and bitten 3+ times each while the speardwarves helpfully stabbed it a dozen times in every nonlethal location they could think of. It eventually died of blood loss.
I was just starting to grow deeply concerned over the the prospects of managing meetings with a Wereopossum mayor when he helpfully bled out and saved me the trouble. The mechanic, however, rudely survived and dragged himself to the hospital where my surgeons needlessly unloaded half the hospital's supplies into putting him back together.

Lucky for me I designed my hospital with individual rooms, so the upshot is a new permanent hospital fixture: "That one walled-up room with a wereopossum mechanic in it".
It's been several months and he's long-since smashed all the furniture in the room. I really expected him to eventually get depressed from the isolation and lack of, well, anything. But instead, he's just so fucking blissed about putting on the same two masterwork mussel-shell amulets every time he wakes up naked on the floor that he's one of the happiest dwarves in my entire fortress.

I wonder what's going through that dwarf's head.

"Once more I woke up from my dreadful curse-induced madness... My room, if it can be called that, is even more damaged now. Is there still anyone beyond these doors, or has this become the... OH TWO SHINY AMULETS. THAT'S SOME GOOD AMULETS! I'M HAPPY NOW!"

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47845 on: July 16, 2016, 02:44:13 am »

The Tribe is broken, and our kinsmen scattered.

War against the Forest Men has proven deadly. But we are yet gone from this world.

A cave in the hot forestlands, south of the enemy.

They will come in arms to slay and devour us.

With club, spear, bow, and hound.

We will bury them.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #47846 on: July 16, 2016, 03:55:30 am »

Well, as usual there's one sure cure for a mood-swinging dwarf. Make him some brand new replacement furniture. Out of obsidian.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Repseki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47847 on: July 16, 2016, 06:16:00 am »

Interesting... Looks like I'm gonna have to devise a way to strip trinkets of my dwarves for them to re-acquire. They are all complaining about not being able to acquire anything new, yet regularly grab crafts from the decoration piles. They are all ecstatic anyway, but some of the new needs are kinda annoying. 

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #47848 on: July 17, 2016, 12:54:25 am »

First forgotten beast showed up. A firebreathing kite with mandibles in place of its beak. It immediately did battle with the bat men of the caverns, setting their favorite hangout ablaze. They all died, but one of them, responsible for killing a cave crocodile who itself had killed a batman and thus earning a name, held out for quite some time before he was brought down.

We'll have to kill that beast ourselves, it seems.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Derro

• Bay Watcher
  • Imprisoned Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #47849 on: July 17, 2016, 03:16:18 am »

I decided to pick a difficult embark, just as a challenge. The world had an evil biome, but it was an ocean and thus inaccessible to me. I eventually settled on a small patch of hot shrubland with aquifer, right next to a necromancer's tower and a few tiles away from the elves my civ is at war with.

A hippo-filled river separated the two halves of my embark location, so I had the dwarves cut down some trees and build a bridge. I then began my fortress.

Turns out the aquifer is only three z-levels belowground. My initial staircase breached it and got flooded, so I covered it up and build some basic workshops and stockpiles on the level above. Everything was going well, and I figured I'd breach the aquifer somewhere else.

When I started digging out a farming area on the level above my workshops, I was notified damp stone had been located. Believing the water to be underneath the area I was currently digging out, I commanded my dwarves to continue.

Turns out the aquifer is only two z-levels belowground in some places. Water started flowing down the staircase and into my fortress, where several dwarves were working or hauling. They couldn't move against the current, and there was no other exit.

I'm going to try digging an escape tunnel to the surface. If that fails, I'll have to get by with only half my dwarves until migrants come (which will be later than usual due to me not starting on the 15th of granite).
Pages: 1 ... 3188 3189 [3190] 3191 3192 ... 3842