Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3157 3158 [3159] 3160 3161 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6128828 times)

ManaUser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #47370 on: May 12, 2016, 03:39:13 pm »

I think it's because they're already wearing gloves and shoes. So boots won't fit, see? Simple dwarven logic.

Not sure if there's a better solution, but switching it to Replace Clothing should solve this. You might want to also explicitly assign the robes or the like if you go that route, so they still have a little protection anywhere the armor doesn't cover.
Akur Akir Akam!

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #47371 on: May 12, 2016, 06:05:36 pm »

My gem setter was a complete cretin.

He kept trying to gather fruit from a tree, but kept falling down from the tree like a total klutz. At first only his right hand was injured - eventually the impact was so bad his middle spine's nervous tissue was torn. He suffocated, obviously.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #47372 on: May 12, 2016, 11:34:00 pm »

Playing a fort for once. A couple weird things have come up.

Firstly, there was a farmer who got stuck in a tree while gathering fruit. I had my woodsdwarf chop down the tree. Somehow, they started a fistfight over this and ran away form each other for a while.

Secondly, a migrant just showed up. She's a peasant. Has only one skill: Novice experience with The Meandering Prophet, a form of poetry. She's married and a historical figure. She's 145 years old. She has spent 145 years of life literally doing nothing but contemplating poetry. She doesn't even have basic social skills.
This game really knows how to generate believable characters :P
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47373 on: May 12, 2016, 11:58:16 pm »

Had to abandon Tongsburns and end the story.  Too much infighting - could not bury the bodies fast enough.  The dream of a Toy Land ended in wave after wave of infighting.   I just could not, for the life of me, find the reason.  I would have thought too many deaths would have made them numb.  Or if a loyalty cascade there would have been one big killing spree and then peace after all the people in some kind of feud were dead.  And why did it seem to start with the kids?   :'(

My first Story...ended in a very non-fun way.  No glory.  No happy memories.  Wow...I need to play another game for a while... 
The most EVIL creature in Dwarf Fortress!

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #47374 on: May 13, 2016, 12:21:24 am »

The two babies that migrated with the recent wave got stuck when they tried to path across a gap that was channeled out. They seemed to have climbed across the gap, along the wall.

Unfortunately, the one in the lead just so happened to crawl into a fortification just as it was completed. The baby then would not crawl from the fortification onto the open floor directly adjacent and remained there. The other one behind it I rescued by building a two-tile bridge.

I tried to get the baby out of the fortification by collapsing it into the floor below, but all that did was kill the baby and waste several hours' work.

This must be why my highschool teachers didn't have me do that assignment where you take the robot baby home and "feed" it and stuff, even though they made everyone else do it. They must have figured I'd just break it. They were right.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

SirFinbar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47375 on: May 13, 2016, 08:17:26 am »

Had to abandon Tongsburns and end the story.  Too much infighting - could not bury the bodies fast enough.  The dream of a Toy Land ended in wave after wave of infighting.   I just could not, for the life of me, find the reason.  I would have thought too many deaths would have made them numb.  Or if a loyalty cascade there would have been one big killing spree and then peace after all the people in some kind of feud were dead.  And why did it seem to start with the kids?   :'(

My first Story...ended in a very non-fun way.  No glory.  No happy memories.  Wow...I need to play another game for a while...

Armok considers all fortresses equal; those drenched in blood and vomit, and those alight with glory.

Kuikka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47376 on: May 13, 2016, 09:33:02 am »

I think it's because they're already wearing gloves and shoes. So boots won't fit, see? Simple dwarven logic.

Not sure if there's a better solution, but switching it to Replace Clothing should solve this. You might want to also explicitly assign the robes or the like if you go that route, so they still have a little protection anywhere the armor doesn't cover.
This might be the reason, gonna try that. Previously soldiers have equipped their gear without problems when using "over clothing" option, so I don't get why it doesn't work now.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47377 on: May 13, 2016, 12:02:36 pm »

This might be the reason, gonna try that. Previously soldiers have equipped their gear without problems when using "over clothing" option, so I don't get why it doesn't work now.

Some clothes for reference are incompatible with other 'layers' of clothing with certain restrictions applied on stacking clothes on top of another, there are workarounds for this and some layers of clothing have been suggested to be made 'smooth' as in slipping underneath or around other clothing more comfortably. Take for instance that wearing high boots offers more protection in exchange for eating space in which to equip a heavy set of trousers than low boots (which only really covers the feet and ankle in combat terms)

(Woodcutting comes with a pre-made uncustomisable head and chest armour, so deselection from that role is nessecary before re-enrolling into military service)

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #47378 on: May 14, 2016, 12:22:23 pm »

Some clothes for reference are incompatible with other 'layers' of clothing with certain restrictions applied on stacking clothes on top of another, there are workarounds for this and some layers of clothing have been suggested to be made 'smooth' as in slipping underneath or around other clothing more comfortably. Take for instance that wearing high boots offers more protection in exchange for eating space in which to equip a heavy set of trousers than low boots (which only really covers the feet and ankle in combat terms)

(Woodcutting comes with a pre-made uncustomisable head and chest armour, so deselection from that role is nessecary before re-enrolling into military service)
According to the wiki, Mining also grants an invisible layer of armor that interferes with military duties.

rumpel

• Bay Watcher
  • test
    • View Profile
« Reply #47379 on: May 15, 2016, 05:00:22 am »

Just made a new world for a new fortress in the newest version. Played around a bit with the advanced generation and got a pretty rough world. There're only a handful of elves scattered around, no elven civilization and there haven't been much more than 250 concurrently living at all. No kobolds either. 2 dwarf civilizations, with ~8-9k population each. One goblin civilization with ~31k population (+~8k trolls) and 1 human civilization with ~18k population. Oh well, lets embark and see how the world progresses. :D

ManaUser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47380 on: May 15, 2016, 11:34:08 am »

A cat is wandering around in the caverns reporting back what minerals she finds (apparently), but she must have stepped in something nasty down there because now her paws are rotten. :(
Akur Akir Akam!

Demonic Gophers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Tunnels
« Reply #47381 on: May 17, 2016, 01:33:21 am »

The chief healer in my latest fort kicked the teeth out of a wereape, earning the new profession of 'dentist'.  Unfortunately, Boltthunders lost two trolls to the monster - valuable unskilled laborers that may prove difficult to replace.  Neither the trolls' tusks nor the bismuth bronze blades of the militia proved sufficient to kill the creature in its transformed state, but the protectors of Boltthunders crippled it and ripped ever inch of its body.  When it turned back into a human, it felt the pain of those countless injuries just long enough to collapse from the shock... right in front of a tame heresh, which killed it instantly.

EDIT: Lost at least one more troll that transformed in the middle of the meeting hall.  Fortunately the militia was on hand, and several of my trolls are armed now, so it went down much faster than the original.  But it may have passed on the infection to other trolls.  Hopefully I won't lose too many more to the wereape curse.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 01:58:08 am by Demonic Gophers »
*Digs tunnel under thread.*
I also answer to Gophers and DG.
Quote from: Shades of Gray
*Says something inspiring and quote worthy.*
Opinions are great, they're like onions with pi.

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud Sir Wordy McWordiness at your service.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47382 on: May 17, 2016, 05:51:27 pm »

A forgotten beast made of amethyst was wandering around down in the caverns killing Draltha and whatever else it came across.  Didn't really think about it for a year, but after training up my military, decided to test them against the beast.  After looking around for a while, I discovered that couldn't find it anywhere, not even with artifact or wardog bait.

All I seem to have in the caves is a named Giant Bat flying around.

Inexplicable, really.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #47383 on: May 17, 2016, 06:44:54 pm »

Had a were-pangolin show up at my fort in the winter of the first year. Had no defenses prepared. It managed to get into the walled off courtyard on the surface and tore up all my livestock. Only lost one dwarf before the pangolin turned back to non-beast form. So that's fortunate, I guess.

To add insult to injury, it turns out the were-pangolin that tore up all my pastured animals was only a goblin child.  ::)
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Dwarvinator

• Bay Watcher
  • ...grumbles only mildly at inclement weather...
    • View Profile
« Reply #47384 on: May 17, 2016, 07:40:37 pm »

Over in Yawningknife, the towering, wooden monstrosity known as the Oily Rag Tavern & Boarding House has been doing a roaring trade. Many interesting characters have been attracted to its storied and vomit soaked hall, from far and wide.

Right now, what appears to be a legendary human swordsman has just shown up. Hope he asks for residency, because otherwise...welcome to the Hotel California, biatch!

Another recent visitor of note was the human Wereiguana, Papos Wishoejed. He sadly passed away during a wrestling match with two dorfs. Both of the chaps took a damn good raggng and a bite or three apiece. Presently, they reside in a pair of hastily constructed gimp-holes, situate under the Justice Building. Having been bitten by an enormous Wereiguana, they dutifully turn into an extremely skinny, and a scrawny Wereiguana, every full moon.

The Bronze Heaviness will be accepting further recruits once the brick-built Isolation Tower, incorporating the Infection Chamber and Screaming Hole, is complete.

Thought one of the neighbors resident at the nearby tower was going to pop in for tea but, disappointingly, he shat himself at the last minute and scarpered before he reached the cage traps and hammerdwarves.

All in all, the place is in fairly good shape to meet an attack, considering there are no contiguous walls on the surface. The dorfs have been forced to survive topside pending the penetration of the flowing aquifer a couple of zeds below surface. A magnificently sloppy undertaking that has wasted countless dorf-hours and seems poised to continue to do so.

For the time being, anyone moods for uncut gems, they get fed to the iguanas.
Pages: 1 ... 3157 3158 [3159] 3160 3161 ... 3842