Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3156 3157 [3158] 3159 3160 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6128972 times)

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #47355 on: May 07, 2016, 08:19:06 pm »

Worst first migrant wave ever. Put in spoiler because big image is big.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Although that is admittedly quite terrible, a professional Leatherworker is a valuable asset.  You should queue a few rounds of leather vests & hoods to train him.  Your Dwarves will look ☼fabulous☼

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #47356 on: May 08, 2016, 10:19:53 am »

i usually get a shitload of dorfs with either level1 on farming, hunting or fishing and the related skills, beekeeping or bookbinding.
they usually become haulers.
very rarely any really useful dorfs arrive. that's when my neighbors here me rejoice :D
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47357 on: May 10, 2016, 11:37:52 pm »

First 43.01 fort.
Embarked on a haunted lake/sea shore.
The Fisherdwarf was washed away by an ocean wave and drowned.
He returned as a zombie and killed the Fisheryworker before the miner put it down.

::)

I think I need to find a better site to try the new features....

Cerapter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47358 on: May 11, 2016, 03:54:54 am »

It seems to me that perpetual orders are, uh, literally perpetual. They check once if their condition has been fulfilled, do the task, then never return to the "checking" state, I'd say.

Source: despite asking my dwarves to only construct beds when there are less than 10, and I have that condition checked daily, I already have 60+ beds. And I mean beds not placed down.
My anaconda man don't want none unless you got 5,000 cm3 of [SELECT_BP:LOWER_BODY:REAR][SELECT_ADDITIONAL_BP:UPPER_LEGS:REAR] hun.

Civilian squads: a suggestion regarding Dwarf Therapist, maintaining stock levels, independent workshop-usage and the military screen.

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47359 on: May 11, 2016, 08:55:02 am »

The dwarven child punches rotten shortfin mako shark corpse in the head with his left hand and the injured part is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass!

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #47360 on: May 11, 2016, 09:36:12 am »

The dwarven child punches rotten shortfin mako shark corpse in the head with his left hand and the injured part is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass!

That little one is now a honorary Shark Punching Center member. o3o
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #47361 on: May 11, 2016, 09:38:25 am »

A weremammoth (the second one the challenge my fort, in fact) visited today. But for some reason it kept walking back and forth in the river, never approaching the fortress. It killed a giant sponge at some point, but mostly I have no idea what it was doing down there. In any case it turned human while still in the water and drowned.
Being sneaky, no doubt, as huge weremammoths do.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Cerapter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47362 on: May 11, 2016, 10:50:11 am »

I'd like to mention that there is a difference between "perpetual" jobs and "repeating" jobs, and a job can be both at once, or neither.
...As I have learnt the hard way. I blame the English language for this.

Just in case anyone else falls into the same trap:
  • Neither: You just set a job to be done X times. It will be done X times, then it is stopped and removed from the jobs menu.
  • Perpetual: you set the amount to produce to 0. This means that the job will be forever done. You will also get cancellation spams if it's something that requires reagents. You'd use this to do something like "Fish for fish, as much as you can, whenever you can", though that's a given, methinks.
  • Repeating: using the new (c)onditions menu, you can set a job to be done when its requirements are done. For example, "create 10 beds when the amount of beds is below 10". This will not be removed from the jobs menu (I think), and will activiate once again whenever the conditions match (and whenever the check duration is elapsed, which can be changed with + and -).
  • Perpetual & Repeating: you set the amount to produce to 0 AND give it a condition. This starts an infinitely repeating job but only when you have the conditions filled. It'll, similarly to a normal perpetual job, never stop ever again, and will cancellation spam you if you need reagents for it. You would use this to say something like "Check every month if we got 5 steel ingots. If we do, the fisherdwarves should start fishing".
My anaconda man don't want none unless you got 5,000 cm3 of [SELECT_BP:LOWER_BODY:REAR][SELECT_ADDITIONAL_BP:UPPER_LEGS:REAR] hun.

Civilian squads: a suggestion regarding Dwarf Therapist, maintaining stock levels, independent workshop-usage and the military screen.

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #47363 on: May 11, 2016, 12:49:05 pm »

Yeah, noticed that as well. It's otherwise pretty fluid though.

And seeing as there's no need to give your manager a chair at the start, you could basically spent a whole hour setting up jobs, set up mining, make some provisionary workshops, and unpauze to check back in an hour.
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

gordy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47364 on: May 11, 2016, 07:51:52 pm »

Yeah how long until someone can automate most routine jobs to perpetuate themselves? You could set up melt, smelt routines to train?

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #47365 on: May 11, 2016, 08:45:31 pm »

We have TOO MUCH FOOD!

I'm surprised my plant gathering hasn't affected the ecosystem, but that's cool...

EDIT: An herbalist fell victim to sudden tree-growing.

This must be the work of those elves.... DAMN ELVES!

EDIT#2: A fisher dwarf has made a pair of goose leather trousers - decorated with chicken leather and encircled with bands of silver. The trousers menace with spikes of nickel and goose leather.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 09:03:07 pm by AzyWng »

King Kitteh

• Bay Watcher
  • [SAVAGE][CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #47366 on: May 11, 2016, 09:41:54 pm »

I just had to kill 3 animals. A llama, a buffalo and a donkey. All so I could have some leather for a possessed Tanner.

Now, what did he make using the skins of 3 huge animals, all larger than him? One mitten. A single mitten. A left mitten to be exact. Urist McTanner, I hope the lives of those 3 animals, one which was still a child mind you, were substantial enough to make your single leather mitten.
goodnight, speep tighht, don't let the bedbugs bite

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47367 on: May 12, 2016, 09:54:42 am »

I thought I was doing pretty well for my double-haunted mountain/forest start; I had a well set up, secured farms, an airlock to the outside, a nice military armed with glumprong shield and copper hammers, there were numerous zombies but even civilians could put them down easily enough. That's when it got me, complacency.

I was setting up a secured butchery (traps along the hallway to rebutcher anything that decided it wasn't dead yet) when I made one fatal mistake. Earlier I had set an order to haul refuse from outside because there were some fresh kea corpse corpses I wanted to take advantage of before  lockdown- and I never rescinded the order because I forgot. Meanwhile my waterbuffalo had succumbed to a mortal wound after being one the wrong end of a pack (flock?) of harpies and so when I made my much larger refuse stockpile for the specialized zombie butcher, my poor stupid dwarves had their first casualty hauling it's bones in through the airlock, five minutes later, they had their 7th casualty and I was down to 14 panicking beards, and so on and so forth until this monstrous cow skeleton had succeeded in what a veritable horde of undead birds and zombie batmen had failed to for a year.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 10:02:47 am by LMeire »
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

Kuikka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47368 on: May 12, 2016, 02:41:51 pm »

I wonder what's wrong with the military equipping... My soldiers seem to have all the gear I have assigned for them in the military equipment screen (cloak, mailshirt, breastplate, helm, greaves, gauntlets, high boots) and this setup has worked fine previously, but now that I looked at them not a single one wears boots or gauntlets. And there's plenty of them in the armor stockpile. Durhhh...

Romegypt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47369 on: May 12, 2016, 03:33:33 pm »

I just had to kill 3 animals. A llama, a buffalo and a donkey. All so I could have some leather for a possessed Tanner.

Now, what did he make using the skins of 3 huge animals, all larger than him? One mitten. A single mitten. A left mitten to be exact. Urist McTanner, I hope the lives of those 3 animals, one which was still a child mind you, were substantial enough to make your single leather mitten.

Must be a real thick mitten.
Pages: 1 ... 3156 3157 [3158] 3159 3160 ... 3842