Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3139 3140 [3141] 3142 3143 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6120801 times)

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #47100 on: April 10, 2016, 10:02:09 pm »

A grime forgotten beast made its way in from the well shaft...
Unfortunately it had a gas attack. All who touched it died lately, include some elite soldiers.

Maybe I should seal the well and build a more secured one.

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #47101 on: April 10, 2016, 10:12:12 pm »

That reminds me, are FBs still infinite?
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47102 on: April 10, 2016, 11:35:25 pm »

Unib Mebzuthathel, Leatherworker cancels Drink: Experiencing emotional shock.

It seemed they threw all his masterwork junks into the magma. :P

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #47103 on: April 11, 2016, 12:59:37 am »

You should be alright, it's biological and poisonous bite is pretty much the least threatening special.

I removed population and wealth triggers for Titans from my worldgen so it's turned up just after the first caravan to take on my ten dwarves who're still scratching in the dirt for berries and stuff. It must have sensed the clear felling of four map tiles worth of trees and come to investigate. I'd like to capture it if possible, rather than just drop a cave-in on its head, so I'll probably have to turtle up for a while.

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47104 on: April 11, 2016, 01:27:04 am »

I made a mistake by dumping worn shoes and the dwarves suddenly began dropping dead like flies because here was some forgotten beast blood on the floor.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #47105 on: April 11, 2016, 02:41:05 am »

Some sand trolls came by to trade. For whatever reason they had around 10 copies of the same book.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I like the "cover" with the amethyst man on it, though I don't think it relates to the subject of the book itself.

Similarly, the two-humans trading with me seem to only have copies of the same 3 books.
I'm guessing these are the in-universe equivalents of Seinfeld. They're the books about nothing.

EDIT: Damn, a forgotten beast showed up.
So Ice Man over here died fairly easily...the problem wasn't his own combat ability, since, well, he was made of ice, but rather the vapor he exhaled, which managed to kill off 4 of my n'raqi.

From what I could tell before they died, the vapor's syndrome had some pretty horrific effects - blistering, blindness (though it could have been caused by the eyes getting blistered as well) and heavy bleeding - one of those afflicted even started rotting and generating miasma right away. It really only took a few seconds for all of them to bleed out. Big shame, but aside from my legendary bone carver (the one who made those turkey bone greaves) noone of any real value was lost.

What I don't get though, is how my n'raqi got to the part of the cavern with Sub-Zero, considering I don't have direct access to it except by a lake and I'm fairly sure I didn't give them innate swimming skills. Gotta dig out the one soldier who is still alive and seemingly unaffected by the vapor - he's killing some ghouls right now - shouldn't be a problem since they're much smaller in terms of size and also unarmed. Gives me an excuse to fortify the cavern layer, though.

Also some dwarf merchants came, finally.
Bought even more books from them
One caught my eye, though.
Looks like they're trying to subvert my glorious n'raqi culture and make everyone lazy and dependant on social benefits. Not gonna work since the faceless ones are pretty much a hivemind and follow the simple rule of "you don't work, then you don't eat".
As a response and a warning, I sold them this statue.
I wonder what the reactions at the Mountainhomes would be to the merchants bringing this statue in.

"Hey Urist, is that a statue of uhh, a dwarf being impaled on a meat hook by some squid-men? Why the hell would you buy that?!"
"Well...umm...at the time it looked really pretty. B-but Lokum, would you look at how shiny the gold it's made out of is? Must be some really precious, rare variant..."
"...We're gonna talk again later, Urist."

As a side note, the previous adherent climbed up on a tree and dehydrated - couldn't cut the tree down in time (it was a cluster of 4 or so trees as well - he literally moved to the branches of another tree right as the other one was about to be cut down).
« Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 04:08:23 am by ZM5 »

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #47106 on: April 11, 2016, 06:54:18 am »

i find it funny how the manual on social welfare is only one page, but still bound into a book :D
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47107 on: April 11, 2016, 07:46:56 am »

The queen was killed by a werepanther.

I locked up all other five who was bitten/beaten by the werepanther. 1 month later, one of them changed and killed the other 4.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 08:29:40 am by Libash_Thunderhead »

mirrizin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47108 on: April 11, 2016, 08:46:04 am »

Finally engraved all the slabs following a recent loyalty cascade. And then the slabs for the victims of a forgotten beast's rampage that had to hit while I was away from the computer. Lucky and smart that I placed a barracks right where the cave tunnel starts, or that could've been a lot worse. Fort of about 140* got down to about 30, then migrants came and we're back up to 70 or so.

Might retire at this point. The mayor killed the baroness during the cascade. Said mayor was later killed in the FB rampage, so I'm not sure that this place is really fit for a monarch.

HyperMemes

• Bay Watcher
  • Talented Memecrafter
    • View Profile
« Reply #47109 on: April 11, 2016, 10:30:50 am »

I have lost track of what year it is in for Doomedbreakfasts but the mayor still wants catapult parts. The tavern was expanded and I still have 20+ farmers.

I dug into a cavern while starting to strip mine. So far I don't see any giant cave spiders. I have however found lots of microcline!

A migration of 20 has also decided to join our somewhat sane fort and we finally have more than 4 miners.
I feel like I should build something special for my fort so I am open to suggestions. I am surprised that I haven't been encountered a siege yet.
Why take drugs when u can take responsibilities and do a cry

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47110 on: April 11, 2016, 11:03:35 am »

I feel like I should build something special for my fort so I am open to suggestions. I am surprised that I haven't been encountered a siege yet.
Put those new miners to work building a proper airlocked cavern entrance so you can reap the rewards.  Cavern hunting is an awesome roulette, your marksdwarves skill up in no time but there are a few spawns will kerbstomp elites. (not such an issue in cavern 1 besides the obvious FBs)

No seige might be that you are relatively distant from the goblins I guess.  It takes time for them to notice you and deem you worthy of an attack, then the physical travel time for their army (which gets simulated, and i think they can get distracted/intercepted). 

If your neighbours remain stubbornly pacifist then liberally apply death to all non-dwarvern caravans and you should be good to go.  I tend to drown them, since I long ago worked out such technicalities as caravan disposal and am attached to my designs, but you could use any means at your disposal.
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #47111 on: April 11, 2016, 12:43:57 pm »

I've yet to encounter any hostiles despite playing as kobolds at the moment, but I'm still waiting for my current camp's population to pick up. :V

The next caravan should nudge my exports up to being more than enough to lure gobbles at least.

EDIT: Oi fucking hell, my exports are well over 500 Sols already, what the fuck.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 01:28:40 pm by Random_Dragon »
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #47112 on: April 11, 2016, 01:58:43 pm »

i find it funny how the manual on social welfare is only one page, but still bound into a book :D
I'm guessing it's literally just a 10-step manual.

A bowyer made this - it's neat, but it's not a weapon my civ can make and they can't make ammo for it either so it's really there for me to try and nab later in adventure mode.

I cleared out a rodent person tribe that was hanging out in the bottom of the cavern, though unfortunately one of them managed a really lucky shot and tore the middle spine tissue of one of my n'raqi, who suffocated. Shame, he was my second adherent, but since I have enough population we have an immortal guardian now instead. Also gotta make a proper home for our harbinger (equivalent of a mayor in other civs).

Some plaguebearers showed up in the caverns but wandered off later...gonna put some traps near the entrance to the caves since I don't want things like them getting in.

Anyway, I'm slowly starting to get to the 80k exported wealth marker, thanks to all the bling I've been exporting. Which...also means I might be getting a semi/megabeast visitor in the very future. Or atleast a goblin welcome wagon.

A soap maker also made this
Pretty neat.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #47113 on: April 11, 2016, 02:00:29 pm »

Well, in the interest of excitement I've set one of my archers to hunt. Whee.

EDIT: And then the caravan arrived right afterward.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #47114 on: April 11, 2016, 02:20:39 pm »

Oh crud, the ettin Gogill has come. Time to see how my military fares.

EDIT: Annnnd it's dead. Noone got hurt, not even the three garms that I've put in a pasture outside - also interestingly the death was from a "struck down" as both of its heads had their skulls jammed through their brains by the harbinger and his thumping bronze hammer. Oh well.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 02:24:19 pm by ZM5 »
Pages: 1 ... 3139 3140 [3141] 3142 3143 ... 3842