Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3134 3135 [3136] 3137 3138 ... 3839

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5972882 times)

Starweaver396

• Bay Watcher
  • Misplaced
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #47025 on: April 05, 2016, 05:49:12 pm »

Perhaps the pickaxe gave them blisters?
but as soon as I got the miners to dig out some rock they died of poison, which signifies that they cried.

So, dwarves cry when they mine. Maybe they don't want to injure the rocks?

When a need is met, emotional creatures feel "unfettered." Strong emotion like this causes them to cry. So, when your adventurer kills those evil bandits and starts crying, it's not because he feels sorry. It's because he "improved his fighter skill" or because he "got in a fight recently". Assuming you have the right needs, of course.

Your dwarves were satisfied at work, i.e. did their jobs. (Mining)
...a limbless, headless, bloodless and mutilated dwarf torso that is nevertheless kept alive through benevolent faerie magicks. He is blind, helpless, and in excruciating pain, and yet does not die...
E: I should point out that this is all because of Starweaver giving me inspiration   Aren't you happy with yourself, Starweaver?

Droggarth

• Bay Watcher
  • Ischrotaur Axe Lord [SUPERNATURAL][STRANGE_MOODS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #47026 on: April 05, 2016, 06:05:11 pm »

When a need is met, emotional creatures feel "unfettered." Strong emotion like this causes them to cry. So, when your adventurer kills those evil bandits and starts crying, it's not because he feels sorry. It's because he "improved his fighter skill" or because he "got in a fight recently". Assuming you have the right needs, of course.

Your dwarves were satisfied at work, i.e. did their jobs. (Mining)

Ahh, so that's what that does/is for, that finally explains it! It never really occurred to me as I've taken a glance on that unfocused/unfettered screen many times and yet couldn't make heads and tails of the thing. Thanks!
"I'll make my own way." - Max Rockatansky

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #47027 on: April 05, 2016, 06:08:42 pm »

Yesss, accept your manly tears. Or you know, your need to not have dry eyes.

I should start snagging screenshots of my cave, it should be fittingly hideous.

EDIT: Screenshot'd.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 06:28:29 pm by Random_Dragon »
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Droggarth

• Bay Watcher
  • Ischrotaur Axe Lord [SUPERNATURAL][STRANGE_MOODS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #47028 on: April 05, 2016, 06:42:26 pm »

Yesss, accept your manly tears. Or you know, your need to not have dry eyes.

Well, I'll make my minothars able to have tears again since regular minotaurs do and I am playing a compassionate female character after all currently and in the future I think when getting back to fort mode I'll figure out how to start with a kobolth civ exclusive to myself. Kobolths can still be killed but their bones are of a very tough material and they heal fast overall, basically I wont need almost all of the DFtool tags enabled and I can rest easy knowing that even when the fort's retired those kobolths won't die of old age and don't need to mess with alcohol, food and sleep and all they would need is having a full set of metal armor on and in a way be dwarves in their own way by mining and building.

Kobolths are basically my super "slave" race for drogoths/minothars and to those who don't know: I always play games as they were not meant to be be played originally.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 06:48:40 pm by Droggarth »
"I'll make my own way." - Max Rockatansky

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47029 on: April 05, 2016, 07:13:58 pm »

For some reason, when there were too many dwarves using the ramp, they began to fall and cancel jobs because of dangerous terrains.
I hate computer generated fortress ramp shafts, they are usually too narrow.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #47030 on: April 05, 2016, 07:28:33 pm »

A caravan from Breersnis has arrived, and I completely fucking forgot to cook lavish meals, make crafts, or do SOMETHING to give us useless crap to buy with. ;w;
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #47031 on: April 05, 2016, 08:09:43 pm »

If you forgot to create items for trading, while the merchant are in it you can accidentally press q then move the cursor on the trade depot and accidentally press x , then wait.
This way you may accidentally obtain more useless crap you'll probably ever need.

Any too expensive to ever trade item obtained like this may only be an accident, not something on purpose of course, then you'll see them next year as if nothing happened, and you'll be able apologize, hoping another accidental deconstruction will not happen.

Yeah, merchants in DF are very gullible.

LordBrassroast

• Bay Watcher
  • Wibble.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47032 on: April 05, 2016, 08:24:33 pm »

If you forgot to create items for trading, while the merchant are in it you can accidentally press q then move the cursor on the trade depot and accidentally press x , then wait.
This way you may accidentally obtain more useless crap you'll probably ever need.

Any too expensive to ever trade item obtained like this may only be an accident, not something on purpose of course, then you'll see them next year as if nothing happened, and you'll be able apologize, hoping another accidental deconstruction will not happen.

They still count that as a seizure/lost caravan and they will either bring less crap next year or a siege. Be careful.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #47033 on: April 05, 2016, 08:36:06 pm »

I hastily made enough prepared meals to purpose some assorted useful stuff, so no problem.

Since it's the native caravan, the consequences of "accidentally" stealing all that stuff will be a dearth of migrants during year 2, and that's a Bad Thing because I've set goblins to use human-style arrival triggers, where a bare minimum of exports attracts them instead of a population trigger.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47034 on: April 06, 2016, 02:17:39 am »

10004, Goblin Age

The human caravan showed up suddenly. Odd, it was already the 5th year.
"The Confederacies of Vegetation", one of the dumbest names I've seen.

Wait, what? They didn't even enter my map.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 02:21:53 am by Libash_Thunderhead »

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #47035 on: April 06, 2016, 02:22:45 am »

"The Confederacies of Vegetation", one of the dumbest names I've seen.

Better than "Breersnis" though.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47036 on: April 06, 2016, 02:55:02 am »

Another dwarf drank himself to death.
I can't recall, maybe he was the 6th victim.

Edit-*

It is madness!
As soon as I opened the cavern, dozens of dwarves rushed in and beat a FB to death. Several of them died of course.

« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 03:21:44 am by Libash_Thunderhead »

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #47037 on: April 06, 2016, 03:42:21 am »

But the rest probably fulfilled their need to lead an exciting life!
One wheel short of a wagon

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #47038 on: April 06, 2016, 12:07:31 pm »

So how many subsequently melted from a Fun syndrome?
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47039 on: April 06, 2016, 08:06:42 pm »

They still count that as a seizure/lost caravan and they will either bring less crap next year or a siege. Be careful.
Dwarves don't siege themselves. Other races tend not to think caravan shenanigans are siege-worthy unless you get really out of hand and start slaughtering the entire caravan routinely.

They will count the cost of the caravan as a loss, and bring less shit because trading is less profitable, but then the plan is to give the most expensive/useless crap back to that caravan. Which means that year will be extremely profitable.

So this would probably work. You'd get more goods brought by the caravan if you bought them out every damn year, and the "we insist on 50% profit mother-fucker" mechanism probably means you don't net any urists from the strategy, but if you want to fund your fort by stealing a caravan every other year (or every three years) or something it should work fine.
Pages: 1 ... 3134 3135 [3136] 3137 3138 ... 3839