Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3132 3133 [3134] 3135 3136 ... 3839

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5969490 times)

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #46995 on: April 04, 2016, 03:09:34 pm »

Asën Laborneutral, the count consort of Prairiegilds and a traveling bard, has now spent a week on the surface chasing down dingoes and bashing them to death with his stringed instrument. If he ever gets inside and decides to apply for a residence, I'm approving it.
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46996 on: April 04, 2016, 07:27:21 pm »

My tavern is called the disemboweled bread.

Starweaver396

• Bay Watcher
  • Misplaced
    • View Profile
« Reply #46997 on: April 04, 2016, 07:32:54 pm »

My tavern is called the disemboweled bread.

Do they serve soup in breadbowls?
...a limbless, headless, bloodless and mutilated dwarf torso that is nevertheless kept alive through benevolent faerie magicks. He is blind, helpless, and in excruciating pain, and yet does not die...
E: I should point out that this is all because of Starweaver giving me inspiration   Aren't you happy with yourself, Starweaver?

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46998 on: April 04, 2016, 08:11:36 pm »

Then a gem setter suffocated in the tavern, strange...

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #46999 on: April 04, 2016, 08:35:51 pm »

Then a gem setter suffocated in the tavern, strange...

Ah, that'd be the alcohol. Dwarves just dunno when ta quit.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47000 on: April 04, 2016, 09:11:33 pm »

10002, Goblin Age

I noticed all my guests were human. There were no civilized dwarves before I reclaimed the 10000 years old fort, but I still got migrants normally.
Today a human guest suffocated in the tavern. Perhaps I should remove my bar keepers? I don't recall I had any incidents before I assigned bar keepers.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #47001 on: April 04, 2016, 09:33:09 pm »

10002, Goblin Age

It is terrifying.

How do you NOT die of boredom during worldgen, or while doing world activation while starting a fort?
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47002 on: April 04, 2016, 10:15:47 pm »

10002, Goblin Age

It is terrifying.

How do you NOT die of boredom during worldgen, or while doing world activation while starting a fort?
It was a pocket world.

Droggarth

• Bay Watcher
  • Ischrotaur Axe Lord [SUPERNATURAL][STRANGE_MOODS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #47003 on: April 05, 2016, 01:19:08 am »

It was a pocket world.

Might as well be a pocket dimension the way DF works. *insert Dr Who theme here* :o

Joking aside, here's proof of the fruits of my labor:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The two pink/purple 'M' icons are the minothar adventurers of mine.
"I'll make my own way." - Max Rockatansky

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #47004 on: April 05, 2016, 01:20:57 am »

Excellent. owo
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Spriggans

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #47005 on: April 05, 2016, 02:18:28 am »

In the soon-to-be-mighty fortress of HammerHold, located in a terrifying wasteland, clouds of cursed soot never stop drifting nearby; transforming any living creature into a feared thrall.
Deads tend to rise too. But not everytime (luckily for me, ravens never do).

I embarked once, crumbled to ruin after like 6 months, because zombie chain reaction... Reclaimed; managed to get three dwarves safely inside the bunker. Luckily, one of them had a pick on him.

Why only 3 ? Mostly because after reclaiming the fortress, every fucking turkey I embarked with on my first attempt (their eggs are usefull !) turned zombie and is now roaming on the surface. Which means I had ~50 zombies to deal with (turkeys + merchants + ravens + dorfs), in a map where I have no wood for cages, and only three survivors. And the zombie counter was only increasing.

They managed to survive eating plump helmets gathered from a cavern and drinking its water. They watched helplessly the incoming migrants getting converted by the zombie army outside. When merchants came with food and drinks, they would turn thralls too.
Some migrants make it through the zombie horde and increase my fortress strength. But only one or two at a time.

I safely sealed a portion of the first cavern. Which means I have about 20 wood. No more. But painfully, my dwarves trapped the zombie army using clever door forbidding / locking shenanigans.

Three years in. My population is now of 19. I have 80 deaths. I have a necropolis full of engraved slabs to appease the ghosts. I managed to trap all 100 zombies using door tricks. Then I lead them 20 by 20 into cage traps. I then pit the zombies into magma (which took a while to acquire), and repeat, untill the zombie forces are destroyed !

Three years in, and I finally start reclaiming the surface. No zombies nor clouds on sight ! I send recovering expeditions to get the valuables of the outside, and order the construction of a security perimeter. I can finally deconstruct my wagon and get more wood. I start looting the long abandonned caravans.

But then, I see an announcement "Urist McDwarf stops [whatever], interrupted by dwarf thrall". WTH ?? This thrall was in my meeting hall, and killed four before I got him under controll (read "before I closed the doors").

Took me a while to figure that out, but this dwarf got thralled because he ate a fucking strawberry the elven caravan brought years ago. This strawberry got contaminated by the cursed soot, and a stupid dorf ate it... zombifying him.
I carefully checked all food stockpiles for anay contaminated vegetable after that.

But anyway, my fortress is still standing strong, and I'm having Fun ! :)
« Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 02:29:07 am by Spriggans »
[ETHIC:MURDERING_DWARVES:UNTHINKABLE]
[ETHIC:CUTTING_TREES:REQUIRED]
[ETHIC:USING_EXPLOITS:JUSTIFIED_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Droggarth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47006 on: April 05, 2016, 02:47:43 am »

FoiledFencer

• Bay Watcher
  • keepin' it feudal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47007 on: April 05, 2016, 04:06:29 am »

10002, Goblin Age

I noticed all my guests were human. There were no civilized dwarves before I reclaimed the 10000 years old fort, but I still got migrants normally.
Today a human guest suffocated in the tavern. Perhaps I should remove my bar keepers? I don't recall I had any incidents before I assigned bar keepers.

Reclaiming a 10k years old fort in the age of the Goblin is some epic shit. What happened to the original settlers?
"Lithrushâst Kúdlizat: Fetidfur, the slick notch, a grizzly bear leather loincloth. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is studded with zinc, decorated with grizzly bear leather and encircled with bands of grizzly bear leather. This object menaces with spikes of grizzly bear leather."

Droggarth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47008 on: April 05, 2016, 04:29:23 am »

Reclaiming a 10k years old fort in the age of the Goblin is some epic shit. What happened to the original settlers?

Agh! I'm almost inclined to test/try out this myself for the pure factor of warhammer mayhem and epicness while listening to this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abjE9Qx0O60

TheKaspa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47009 on: April 05, 2016, 05:36:00 am »

It was a pocket world.
Might as well be a pocket dimension the way DF works. *insert Dr Who theme here* :o

This is more fitting
https://youtu.be/bKGGLi6ubQ4
Tai'shar DwarfFortress

I've heard Minecart Airlines Express offers nice trips to nobility. Alternative trips include a voyage over the volcano. Call 1-800-I-THE-GUINEAPIG-VOLUNTEER and book now!
My fucking armok, you broke the game.
Pages: 1 ... 3132 3133 [3134] 3135 3136 ... 3839