Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3129 3130 [3131] 3132 3133 ... 3839

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5969490 times)

Cattani

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #46950 on: April 01, 2016, 08:39:42 pm »

Ok, so I may have found a weird bug...

The elves brought a Giant Wolf and two black bears on a caravan, but because REASONS I demolished the trade depot and killed the merchants, to use the old technique for stealing caravans (note: I never did that before). The cages were still marked as "Merchant (caged)" on the Units view and unavailable for looting.

I decided to wait for the "The Merchants have Left" message, believing it to be necessary for the process. When it happened, the only thing leaving my map were the four Yaks that brought the elves garbage. I killed them before they left the map because I thought they would tell the elves about my genocide. The cages were still marked as "Merchant (caged)", and i still couldn't pasture the things inside.

I then built the cages and unassigned the beasts, and then pastured them.
They are now marked as "Merchant", and keep trying to walk away from my fort. My beards keep running in and bringing them back to the pasture though.

Is this by any chance intended behavior? How do I get that wolf to mate with my previously-genuinely-bought Giant Wolf ladies?

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
  • Imagine a working link to Rickroll here
    • View Profile
« Reply #46951 on: April 01, 2016, 08:47:01 pm »

Is it just me or does it seem like dwarves are not bonding as much as they used too...not that I'm complaining, of course.
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Ravioli Ravioli, the old broad died so now I play a Demon Loli.
Sig-texts!

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #46952 on: April 01, 2016, 10:15:48 pm »

as the brook freezes over every winter, i tapped the cavern's pool with a pump so it would get water into my zistern - just to find the dorfs don't use that water - it's mudwater again, because i didn't know that i should smooth the walls and ground first.
the brook is going to be tapped in a few minutes filling the moat once spring arrives.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

King Kitteh

• Bay Watcher
  • [SAVAGE][CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #46953 on: April 02, 2016, 12:08:38 am »

-snip-

I'm pretty sure that's intended, just poorly explained. You don't actually own the animals, they belong to the merchants. I think Toady once mentioned that he'd have to make it more clear or something.

I think you can still eat the animals though if that means anything.
goodnight, speep tighht, don't let the bedbugs bite

Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum

« Reply #46954 on: April 02, 2016, 03:17:25 am »

I looked at the military dwarves who had been injured years ago and ended up with a 6 month long infection before healing... They both have yellow lungs, despite having suffered no lung injuries.

Initially I assumed it was a forgotten beast syndrome, but that hasn't happened to any of my other military dwarves or any of the animals who walked through the blood. Is this just a normal infection thing?

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #46955 on: April 02, 2016, 03:25:36 am »

A cyclops has come to my fort. I was sure there will be deaths, since I don't have military yet, and many dwarves were in the field, collecting arrows after the last zombie siege. The cyclops speeded to the main entry, entered, and just four tiles before the cage traps grabbed one of my miner-girls. He removed her shirt (I don't want to think what for) and grabbed her hip. But somehow she released herself and jumped away, a couple of times. Then the cyclops tried to hit her, but the shot was effortlessly deflected with the pick again and again. The cyclops changed tactics once more, and charged. Both tumbled next to the cage trap, so close...

But that wasn't the best choice of action for the cyclops: the miner hit him in the hand with a pick, this fractured the bone and the big guy lost consciousness. At the same time two other miners came to help, and all three of them started bashing the cyclops in the head. He even regained consciousness for a while, surely to contemplate on his sinful deeds. It took 29 hits of copper and iron picks to end his misery.

I was slightly surprised that the miners started attacking the enemy without hesitation (the two other miners were running towards him even before the tumble), not being military and all. But this shows that hard work forms your character.

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46956 on: April 02, 2016, 09:24:43 am »

Still playing the 34.11 fort.
It had been almost 1 year but the dwarves still hadn't finished hauling those goblin junks.
They set up a magma smelter over the magma tube and began melting things. It's a shame they were still using goblin equipments and bone/leather armors.

Recently a hydra visited my fort and was quickly defeated by my elite squad.

I also recruited every available dwarves and armed them each with at least a weapon and a shield because there were goblin ambushes.

Starweaver396

• Bay Watcher
  • Misplaced
    • View Profile
« Reply #46957 on: April 02, 2016, 03:39:57 pm »

A cyclops has come to my fort. I was sure there will be deaths, since I don't have military yet, and many dwarves were in the field, collecting arrows after the last zombie siege. The cyclops speeded to the main entry, entered, and just four tiles before the cage traps grabbed one of my miner-girls. He removed her shirt (I don't want to think what for) and grabbed her hip. But somehow she released herself and jumped away, a couple of times. Then the cyclops tried to hit her, but the shot was effortlessly deflected with the pick again and again. The cyclops changed tactics once more, and charged. Both tumbled next to the cage trap, so close...

But that wasn't the best choice of action for the cyclops: the miner hit him in the hand with a pick, this fractured the bone and the big guy lost consciousness. At the same time two other miners came to help, and all three of them started bashing the cyclops in the head. He even regained consciousness for a while, surely to contemplate on his sinful deeds. It took 29 hits of copper and iron picks to end his misery.

I was slightly surprised that the miners started attacking the enemy without hesitation (the two other miners were running towards him even before the tumble), not being military and all. But this shows that hard work forms your character.

Lucky for you that miners use the mining skill for their picks-as-weapons fighting.
...a limbless, headless, bloodless and mutilated dwarf torso that is nevertheless kept alive through benevolent faerie magicks. He is blind, helpless, and in excruciating pain, and yet does not die...
E: I should point out that this is all because of Starweaver giving me inspiration   Aren't you happy with yourself, Starweaver?

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud Sir Wordy McWordiness at your service.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46958 on: April 02, 2016, 04:18:42 pm »

Today my herbalist was getting a drink of water in the caverns.  Poor gal was attacked by a cave croc.

Or, I guess I should say, poor croc.  The croc got a single bite on the herbalist lightly injuring her arm.  In exchange she hit the thing with a body punch that seriously injured its guts.  It proceeded to vomit all over itself for several rounds while fruitlessly trying to bite the herbalist again.  Meanwhile, the herbalist pounded on the thing, eventually exploding one of its toes.  The croc promptly gave into the pain and started the standard cycle of waking up and falling right back into unconsciousness.

At that point I got to witness one of the most brutal beatings I've ever seen.  In some kind of berserk rage, the herbalist pounded on the thing again and again and again, pulping most of the poor creatures toes and injuring all of its internal organs over the course of an entire season.  Yet it wouldn't die, so she kept pounding, stopping only to pass out from exhaustion from time to time.  Months later a miner decided to come for a drink and, seeing the poor creatures plight, mercifully put it down with a single pick stroke to the head.  Dehydrated and on the brink of death from starvation, the Herbalist promptly went for another drink in the wake of the brutality.

Do not mess with herbalists.  They are insane creatures with a fell apatite for pain.  Must be a result of all those years spent out in the open.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2016, 05:01:34 pm by Tacomagic »

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46959 on: April 02, 2016, 06:09:54 pm »

Fort fell to evil mist thralls literally seconds before the cage traps got loaded.  They saw their chances vanishing and they made the push.  They went all in.  Now it's their hole in the ground.
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #46960 on: April 02, 2016, 06:13:52 pm »

Fort fell to evil mist thralls literally seconds before the cage traps got loaded.  They saw their chances vanishing and they made the push.  They went all in.  Now it's their hole in the ground.

Best way to solve that: reclaim mode, make everyone a hammerdwarf.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46961 on: April 02, 2016, 08:21:03 pm »

Lucky for you that miners use the mining skill for their picks-as-weapons fighting.

Perhaps a master miner doesn't see the enemy at all, they see a odd type of vein they have never seen before so they rush there immediately.

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46962 on: April 02, 2016, 08:40:58 pm »

Perhaps a master miner doesn't see the enemy at all, they see a odd type of vein they have never seen before so they rush there immediately.
A vein of blood, no doubt.
Insert_Gnome_Here has claimed a computer terminal!

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

King Kitteh

• Bay Watcher
  • [SAVAGE][CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #46963 on: April 02, 2016, 10:13:57 pm »

A vein of blood, no doubt.

But alas, when he tried to smelt the cyclops, it was in vain.
goodnight, speep tighht, don't let the bedbugs bite

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #46964 on: April 02, 2016, 10:19:35 pm »

i must've left the door to the cave open, so a cavecroc came into my main stairwell and now attacks my dwarves - the first contact was by a child, which gave it a hard fight, but the croc won :'( .
the brook is now enclosing my entrance, so only my three big and two tiny bridges allow entrance.
my underground water reservoir 12x12x3 (432 tiles!) is almost ready to be filled by a brave pump operator.
all that is needed is the stuff from that room has to be hauled - through that main stairwell with the croc.
once that's done they'll have water in winter too.

since autolabor currently doesn't work, i got to assign jobs myself, which is a hazzle, even with dwarf therapist.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)
Pages: 1 ... 3129 3130 [3131] 3132 3133 ... 3839