Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3125 3126 [3127] 3128 3129 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6120261 times)

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #46890 on: March 24, 2016, 09:53:22 pm »

No John, you are the demons.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46891 on: March 25, 2016, 02:13:26 am »

Let me see what they named their weapon/shields.

The Defender of Caverns - a badger leather shield
The Awe-inspiring Storm - a badger leather shield
Peacefulbraid - a pear wood shield
Mosthoods the Naughtiness of Boring - a bronze pick
Ultrafrill - a bronze short sword
Vanishedwail - a steel battle axe

Pirate Bob

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC: TORTURE_FOR_SCIENCE: ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #46892 on: March 25, 2016, 02:31:00 am »

I am trying an evil embark (blocked off all surface access), and realized shortly after slaughtering my pack animals that I should save the bones, in case of moods.  As an experiment, I put one stack in a minecart, and another stack in a refuse pile.  The bones (and all other remains except hooves) in the refuse pile disappeared in a few months, and so far all refuse in the cart remains intact and unrotten after just over a year.  Both the refuse pile and cart are inside, subterranean, dark.

This is probably well known, but I couldn't find any reference to it, and it seems pretty useful.  Not sure if there's any better ways to prevent bone rot, such as maybe fiddling with stockpile settings.  This one requires rather high user manipulation, as you have to create a minecart stop and route, set it up to fill with the desired items, and then manually dump the minecart to make them usuable again, as dwarves can't use items inside a cart.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #46893 on: March 25, 2016, 07:28:05 am »

What's 25 times more valuable than copper? Certainly not gold, IRL at least. Even in-game the values are wonky relative to material value, but it'd been even WORSE if they followed the material values, as they're 2:10:30. Though at least then gold would be 3 times as valuable as silver, instead of 1 and 2/3 as valuable.
So in that case gold coins should be 25, since there's no reason why not. Let me go rectify that.

NESgamer190

• Bay Watcher
  • Crundle hugger
    • View Profile
« Reply #46894 on: March 25, 2016, 10:35:20 am »

I am trying an evil embark (blocked off all surface access), and realized shortly after slaughtering my pack animals that I should save the bones, in case of moods.  As an experiment, I put one stack in a minecart, and another stack in a refuse pile.  The bones (and all other remains except hooves) in the refuse pile disappeared in a few months, and so far all refuse in the cart remains intact and unrotten after just over a year.  Both the refuse pile and cart are inside, subterranean, dark.

This is probably well known, but I couldn't find any reference to it, and it seems pretty useful.  Not sure if there's any better ways to prevent bone rot, such as maybe fiddling with stockpile settings.  This one requires rather high user manipulation, as you have to create a minecart stop and route, set it up to fill with the desired items, and then manually dump the minecart to make them usuable again, as dwarves can't use items inside a cart.

Perhaps, minecarts are mobile refrigerators?  That is an interesting find I learned today from you.

As for my current fort, the cagening is happening as I go to set up a good sum of cage traps and green glass terraria.  Also on the process is the crafting of the weapon traps that'll use green glass discs and spiked balls.  Lastly, a few mandates here and there that're wiped out easily, and more stoneware statues for the queen's chambers to up the value in a hurry.  (Considered gold statues, but the weight dissuaded me.)

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46895 on: March 25, 2016, 11:29:29 am »

If you put a skin, hair, corpse remains in a minecart, and the minecart moves on a track onto a reanimating biome, will it come back with fun zombies?

refuse stockpiles degrades refuse, i think based on o-r-o.  if you say Dump others, it will degrade them over time?  And if you say Save Bones, bones will stay in refuse pile but not degrade?

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #46896 on: March 25, 2016, 11:32:13 am »

I've never had bones decay in a refuse stockpile. In Bastiongate I kept FB bones in the refuse stockpile for ~20 years before they were used in moods.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #46897 on: March 25, 2016, 11:46:20 am »

What's 25 times more valuable than copper? Certainly not gold, IRL at least. Even in-game the values are wonky relative to material value, but it'd been even WORSE if they followed the material values, as they're 2:10:30. Though at least then gold would be 3 times as valuable as silver, instead of 1 and 2/3 as valuable.
So in that case gold coins should be 25, since there's no reason why not. Let me go rectify that.

Keep in mind you're still making gold coins 25 times as valuable as copper, not silver. :V

EDIT: Meanwhile in Kobold Kamp, it's mid-summer of the second year, at 42 bolds. I'm worried that we might hit fall before I get my desired amount of wardogs chained up, as we're past the point when dwarven thieves should be after us, but not yet at the point of getting sieges or any contact with the other 3 civs.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2016, 02:12:16 am by Random_Dragon »
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46898 on: March 26, 2016, 08:36:19 am »

A speardwarf just killed a dwarf werelizard. But when I checked the logs:

The speardwarf bites the werelizard in the upper body, tearing the fat and bruising the muscle!
The speardwarf latches on firmly!
The speardwarf shakes the werelizard around by the upper body, tearing apart the upper body's fat!

The speardwarf bites the werelizard in the head, tearing the muscle!
The speardwarf shakes the werelizard around by the head, tearing apart the head's fat and bruising the muscle!

Edit*
Well, he's a spear master now.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2016, 08:37:51 am by Libash_Thunderhead »

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46899 on: March 26, 2016, 09:38:07 am »

The new library is a great success! Scholars gather from far off lands to discuss the mystic wisdom of levers, and the shelves are filling with newly written scrolls and books. As I was browsing the shelves late last night I discovered a native platinum codex. Certainly not written around here. Turns out it's a 'lost' book - "The Possibilities of the Mountainhome". The great tome of history (Legends) states that this work was "lost in an unknown site" in the late Spring of 556. How...disturbing.

--Diary of the head librarian, late Spring, 556

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #46900 on: March 26, 2016, 12:15:33 pm »

The speardwarf bites the werelizard in the upper body, tearing the fat and bruising the muscle!
The speardwarf shakes the werelizard around by the upper body, tearing apart the upper body's fat!

The speardwarf shakes the werelizard around by the head, tearing apart the head's fat and bruising the muscle!

Edit*

In Soviet Russia, werebeast is bitten by you?
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Pirate Bob

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC: TORTURE_FOR_SCIENCE: ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #46901 on: March 26, 2016, 03:25:57 pm »

I've never had bones decay in a refuse stockpile. In Bastiongate I kept FB bones in the refuse stockpile for ~20 years before they were used in moods.
If the wiki is to be believed, decay of bones is caused by vermin, so if you have efficient cats it may not happen.  Typically my bones last a long time (certainly more than the few months I observed this time), but eventually decay, usually right before a dwarf moods and wants them.  There are some hooves in the same refuse pile that did not decay yet, and I suspect those use the same mechanism.  What makes me believe that the minecart may preserve all refuse is that I also have vermin remains, cartilage, hair, etc in there, and none of that has decayed either, while everything except 1 hoof decayed on the floor.  I think bone decay is somewhat random (possibly related to vermin), and mine in the stockpile decayed unusually quickly this time, but having all those other things that typically decay fast also preserved in the minecart suggests the bones may be preserved as well.

If it works, I think it is because they are in a container, but not in a refuse stockpile.  In other words the same mechanism that allows food in barrels to last forever.  Since this doesn't seem to be well known, I will try to do some more controlled experiments to verify if this really works and how well.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #46902 on: March 26, 2016, 04:25:10 pm »

One of my kobold archers gave birth while heading out to target a red panda. Yesss, more baby armor.

EDIT: Oh you sneaky little bugger.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I'm quite certain the AI is fucking with me. Red pandas comprehend the concept of taking cover. ;w;

EDIT 2: Speaking of the AI fucking with me, the first few kobolds to finally engage it apparently dropped their ammo because I'd been making more arrows back in the fort. Thankfully while the closest one that still HAD ammo KO'd the panda with his only two shots, and then they booped the thing to death with wooden bows.

EDIT 3: Oh right, that archer's birth nudged the population up to 50. I fear we might get full-on dwarven sieges now PLUS human/elven/goblin thieves, and the first wave of puppies has yet to mature. ;w;
« Last Edit: March 26, 2016, 06:55:35 pm by Random_Dragon »
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Tarqiup Inua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46903 on: March 26, 2016, 09:50:23 pm »

Edit*
Looks like you were lucky, this time - the werelizard didn't survive and thus won't transform into a dwarf during next full moon.

The world is better off this way.
Nuri al-Gnat - dwarven apidologist
notable works: al-Gnat's test (for determining the child snatcher's ability to pass undetected while getting stung by bees... or at least look human while at it)

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #46904 on: March 26, 2016, 09:56:11 pm »

We're ramping up production of...well, damn near everything really. If we're lucky we won't get a human scout this late in the season, so when autumn hits the kobolds will have to bend over and prepare for a dwarven infestation. ;w;

EDIT: Giant skunk? No wait, giant skink. Whatever, go kill it my minions.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2016, 11:17:04 pm by Random_Dragon »
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Pages: 1 ... 3125 3126 [3127] 3128 3129 ... 3842