Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3104 3105 [3106] 3107 3108 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6122397 times)

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #46575 on: March 06, 2016, 01:56:53 pm »

Well, this season was interesting.  One of my Dwarfs was drained of blood.  But the witness said it was a visiting female human.  Who I arrested though I can't prove anything.   :-\

THEN a Human Scholar Vampire showed up.  Yeah...it was right in the announcement.  So he got chased but proved too fast (and his wounds just healed).  So I stopped chasing him, let him into the Fortress and then attacked him with a bunch of Squads.  After killing him his name changed and the Dwarfs found human nails and hair on him.  But..kind of a give away the whole 'Hey, I'm a vampire!' thing.   :)

This suggests the visitor in my jail is NOT the vampire who killed one of my Dwarfs. Oh bother.....  :-[
The most EVIL creature in Dwarf Fortress!

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #46576 on: March 06, 2016, 04:56:44 pm »

Meanwhile, back on the laptop and managing Coldtomb...while preparing a flooding chamber to have a source of underground wood, what do I find on the cursed surface?

He died quickly.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46577 on: March 06, 2016, 06:37:57 pm »

I wonder if that's just a vampire thing, and if their ethics change when turned..

Humans and goblins have absolutely no problem with making trophies out of people, beasts, and boss-type monsters they kill, including from the bits of their own kind.

Dwarves meanwhile, are adverse to the making og trophies from their fellows, enemy or not, while elves tend to abhor making trophies from animals or people at all (kinda contridictory i a society that says you have to presumably eat the heart of foes you kill yourself if you ask me.)

But, it does seem being a night creature might have some bearing on that...

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #46578 on: March 06, 2016, 06:47:53 pm »

while elves tend to abhor making trophies from animals or people at all (kinda contridictory i a society that says you have to presumably eat the heart of foes you kill yourself if you ask me.)

I assume it's more because they're all "why waste perfectly good meat" but they lack leatherworking and bonecarving.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46579 on: March 06, 2016, 06:53:05 pm »

I don't think it's so much that they lack the means to carry out such things, I think it has more to due with their supposed attunement with nature.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #46580 on: March 06, 2016, 07:00:54 pm »

Maybe. It might be a moral thing, since logically it wouldn't take much to work with bone, though tanning would be more involved. So it could be that they perceive any further use of animal products as going beyond what they see as acceptable. Though I guess not taboo to the point of refusing leather and bone goods.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46581 on: March 06, 2016, 10:12:40 pm »

A miner died on a tower cap. The tower cap was in the water and there was no path to it...I had to dig a channel to retrieve his corpse.
I wonder if he climbed all the way there and starved himself. I also found one of my probing tunnels was flooded, so maybe he mined through the lake bottom, escaped and then was trapped on that mushroom tree.

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46582 on: March 06, 2016, 10:37:39 pm »

I found my dwarves had cut down more trees than the agreement allowed by accident.
Quickly! Hide the logs before the elves see them!!!!

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #46583 on: March 06, 2016, 10:55:20 pm »

I found my dwarves had cut down more trees than the agreement allowed by accident.
Quickly! Hide the logs before the elves see them!!!!

When they next arrive, offer them some of your fine shrooms to show them how not-plantlike they are. 3:
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46584 on: March 06, 2016, 11:55:13 pm »

Results are variable, to say the least on the matter. Mostly due to their poor equipment.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #46585 on: March 07, 2016, 12:21:47 am »

On that score, I'm considering provoking war with the Elves. I assume people here have tried it? How would you rate it on the scale of 'fun' to '!!FUN!!'? I hear their archers are OP and the fact that they sneak in enormous numbers almost guarantees a few stragglers are likely to be caught outside.

The biggest problem is the risk of being inundated with ambush parties instead of a proper siege. Basic soldiers aren't that hard to handle, but archers are as potentially Fun as any ranged foe.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #46586 on: March 07, 2016, 01:04:58 am »

Good to know - I'll make sure I'm well set-up before taking them on.

Enjoiy the ambushes. o3o
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46587 on: March 07, 2016, 02:14:19 am »

On that score, I'm considering provoking war with the Elves. I assume people here have tried it? How would you rate it on the scale of 'fun' to '!!FUN!!'? I hear their archers are OP and the fact that they sneak in enormous numbers almost guarantees a few stragglers are likely to be caught outside.
Give them the child snatcher tag to start at war with them.

Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum

« Reply #46588 on: March 07, 2016, 02:24:58 am »

I'm currently building my baroness' furniture out of pure platinum. I would make the walls and floors platinum too, but it's so heavy.
A weaponsmith had a fey mood and created an artifact platinum battleaxe. So that's great... Now he can make great weapons. If only I had something other than hundreds of platinum bars.

My record keeper is currently "Very Rusty" at record keeping... I guess it doesn't require any work at all after you get up to max precision once.

I also made a tavern, and the first thing my dwarves did was recite a poem "renouncing someone recently deceased" (Aka the old milita commander).

Edit: Apparently my scholar, who I've had for years, thinks the search for knowledge is a delusional fantasy.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2016, 02:45:49 am by Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum »

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #46589 on: March 07, 2016, 02:36:32 am »

If I just keep abusing the trees will they declare war? Or are the ambushes and sieges distinct from true "war"?

They can eventually, and if I recall they'll send whatever intensity your outpost has warranted. If you population is above the siege triggers, they can send sieges. If it's below that but above their first contact threshold (which it would be for you to trade with them), then they'll send whatever less-intense response they have, ambushes in the case of elves.

Meanwhile any entity with the snatcher or item thief tokens will be regarded as hostile to your fort even if you aren't technically at war. Though you can be at war with goblins anyway, and I don't know how this affects what kind of force they use against you.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Pages: 1 ... 3104 3105 [3106] 3107 3108 ... 3842