Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3014 3015 [3016] 3017 3018 ... 3839

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5969430 times)

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #45225 on: January 05, 2016, 07:24:31 am »

The elves brought me a very interesting instrument: http://i.imgur.com/4uK4s4X.png (linked to avoid spoilers)

I was surprised it was only worth 3060 -- just a handful of roasts, and it was mine.

I'd seen it happen with other players, so I started checking every instrument that seemed unusually expensive. Glad I did!
Wait, what? I don't get it.
One wheel short of a wagon

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #45226 on: January 05, 2016, 07:27:11 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
seem pretty common on import instruments
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

SomeoneSneaky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45227 on: January 05, 2016, 07:38:11 am »

It's the first one I'd found on one of mine.

The ones I've heard of all seem to come from elves. How are they getting this stuff, is what I'd like to know.
The three stages of information assimilation in bay 12:
1)horror
2)curiosity
3)weaponization

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #45228 on: January 05, 2016, 07:42:43 am »

I'd guess it's the same as getting FB material stuff, or GSC silk clothing everywhere in adventure mode. The game doesn't measure how much of a resource a civ has, only if they have it, so if somebody, somewhere, stored a scrap of a dragon's bone or something in that civ's stockpile, they have that resource forever.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #45229 on: January 05, 2016, 07:55:37 am »

My fortress is now reaching its 20 years of existence, and it's running slow , too much to be still fun unfortunately.
So why not get a true dwarven ending full of brave glory instead of simply abandonning it to that damned fps death that is the end of so much fun.

There's that *spoiler* big cluster still waiting, the dwarves likes the *spoiler* and i have avoided it so far because what's in *spoiler* usually only make an invitable fps death coming.
But at that point of the fort running slow it wasn't fun anymore to play the game, so a glorious end would still be possible.

Let's strike the *spoiler* and ready the full might of our long lived 50 dwarves strong military with half of them being legendary or high master in their martial art after so many years of training and killing those weak gobs armies, let's have a challenge true to dwarven aspiration, the !spoiler! inside of the *spoiler*

Some tale of the dwarven bravery in battle
And so end the legend of Ogredkeskal, "Swampshoots", a fortress of mighty dwarves so brave that many legions of gobs were crushed under their feet, so strong many forgotten beasts were forgotten again.

So bored they even had to dig the depth of the world and beat certain doom.

Legends do not tell what happened to them after their documented heroic resistance, some talk about a strange "fps death" whatever it means to them, but dwarven scientists believe they're still there somewhere in the depth of the world, standing firm against the ultimate evil.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 08:02:21 am by Robsoie »

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45230 on: January 05, 2016, 08:17:23 am »

Oh, the string? Right.

Found something interesting along those lines in legends mode.

In all seriousness, anyone have this happen before, or have any idea wtf was going on?
« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 09:13:37 am by NJW2000 »

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #45231 on: January 05, 2016, 08:46:59 am »

It was likely a Chinese demon making artificial islands where that goblin wanted to go fish

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
« Reply #45232 on: January 05, 2016, 09:39:59 am »

I had a goblin siege...1 goblin showed up. :-\
"How dare you get angry after being scammed."

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45233 on: January 05, 2016, 02:30:05 pm »

I just used quantum stockpiles for the first time.

I... I think I'm in love.

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45234 on: January 05, 2016, 02:43:48 pm »

I just had a siege of....I dunno, 500? There were trolls, bead dog cavalry....those goblins were not pulling any punches this time. About halfway through, I looked at the trapline and thought to myself "gee, there's going to be a lot of crippled trolls, beak dogs and goblins to finish off when this is done. I'm going to have my weaponsmiths make copper spears for the clean-up militia". Unfortunately, clean-up had to start a little early because the bastards made it through the trapline! Lost a good number of recruits....but I won, so in the end I now have hundreds of combat events that will look really cool as engravings.

So what am I doing now other than burying the dead? I'm training one of my weaponsmiths as an armorsmith, and I've made my one militia squad equip spears and (new) shields and start training. Once I've got enough masterworks, I'm going to clad my militia head to toe in them. I've also taken the weapons the goblins so generously donated to me and turned them into some extra weapon traps.
Insert_Gnome_Here has claimed a computer terminal!

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

SyrusLD

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #45235 on: January 05, 2016, 03:25:27 pm »

I have a single block of stone-fall traps that's 120x8. Experience tells me that's enough to break most sieges; the point of replacing them with weapon traps is to break the sieges faster.
Never actually used stone-fall traps myself, at least not intentionally. Always stuck with cage traps. I guess that's also why I I felt like I need so many "layers" of traps. But hm, would love to have another 300+ siege again and see how the traps do against that many enemies.

Strange. The only reason I've missed a caravan is because of a siege. Are you sure your civilization is still kicking?
Not sure how to really check, I retired the fortress (in a copied save) and checked, but couldn't find anything really saying "the civ is dead!!!", no big attacks, nothing. Just the few sieges on my fortress. Only thing I think happened was that one of the caravan wagons got scuttled, which would explain the pile of stuff outside, which my dwarves won't put in the stockpiles. Overall the civ is a bit weird though, I mean, it is called "The Roughness of Murdering" - which doesn't really sound dwarfish. But its nobles (etc.) seem to just be dwarves. Didn't check on them specifically though. Going by legends the civ isn't very wide spread, but doesn't look dead either. The map overview was from 8 years ago though.
At one point back at the start of the fortress, it once said "No Outpost Liaison? How curious..." but the next time there was one again. The fortress also didn't attract migrants one year, even though it was doing quite well.
Just strange. Maybe it has to do with the location it resides in, being on a vulcano and all. I mean, there aren't any humans near either.

Another thing is that my dwarves lack the knowledge to produce High Boots ... but that seems to sadly be quite a regular thing, especially in the "short history" worlds I play (year 78 now).

Maybe I was just unlucky a few years in a row, it hasn't been THAAAAT long...mh...

I had plenty of weapon traps that were all large serrated discs back at Wiredchambers, and IIRC not a single goblin made it through one alive regardless of what the discs were made of. I mean, there were a few that made it through without suffering an insta-kill, but they were missing several body parts and often had a major artery in the heart torn open so they were as good as dead. Large serrated discs (and perhaps spiked balls too) seem to embody the concept of "quantity has a quality all its own".
Yeah, masses of traps are always amazingly effective. I really wonder what would happen to a fully armored enemy though. Hm...probably would still bleed to death unless he's wrapped in candy.

I've got 9600 to make if I'm going to replace the entire trapline. Thankfully, I embarked on a volcano so the sand won't be far from the magma glass furnaces.
Well, I thought it wasn't that far to the sand either. Buuut...it's pretty much on the other side of the vulcano, since it is in a different biome. My 3x3 embark has 3 biomes, one to the north-west, one to the north-east and the slightly bigger part is to the south. Only the one in the north-west has sand, at first I thought there was no sand at all, but I got lucky. Even got an aquifer there. Anyway, the dwarves have to run across about one embark tile to get to the sand...for over 1000 green glass items (I build more than just the trap components) it took forever; I wouldn't even want to imagine building almost 10'000 of them. Then again, I highly doubt I'd ever need that many.

At first I considered making the invader entrance 5 wide, but upon seeing how many trap components that would need, I decided it would just take waaaay too long.

I can never decide on what trap components to actually use, that's why I varied it. Feels quite like all have their advantages and disadvantages. Only the menacing spike and the corkscrew are very similar.
If I had to chose one and just one, I'd probably go with the large serrated discs, more attacks equal more chances for bleeding, I'd assume.

Oh, and by the way, the next human just became a noble! I now got a lord around!
I wonder if he will survive longer than the dear lady that died just weeks after assuming that post.
Hopefully he is a sign that another siege will come!
In Remembrance of Bengel Hairybasement,
Strangler of a Sasquatch, Troglodytes and a Cyclops,
Slayer of a Giantess, whom he burned alive.
Died in a Heroic Fight with a Grizzly Bear.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #45236 on: January 05, 2016, 03:29:17 pm »

Dug out the spaces for the magma-powered metalworking industry; forges, smelters, glass furnaces, etc. Then I pierced the volcano.

And by "pierced the volcano" I mean "sacrificed a useless miller to the volcano gods". The miller did not run away from the ensuing magma fast enough after he pierced the volcano's magma pipe. Good thing I brought an extra copper pick.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #45237 on: January 05, 2016, 03:42:27 pm »

"She feels satisfied at work. She feels hopeless after suffering the travesty of art defacement"

The thoughts of my legendary weaponsmith, melting down her own single masterpiece bolts that escaped the atomsmasher, cause this is more fun and gives back steel.

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45238 on: January 05, 2016, 03:43:29 pm »

If your magma and sand are a long ways apart, set up two glassmaking furnaces. A regular one by the sand and a magma one by the magma. Then set the shop profiles so only dabblers can use the one by the sand, and only skilled glassmakers can use the one by the magma. Have a stockpile by the sand furnace that only accepts boxes and bags made of leather, silk, plant cloth or yarn. Set up a stockpile near the magma furnace that accepts sandbags. Make sure no other stockpiles will accept either of the above (or have these piles take from the others that accept the items).

Turn on glassmaking for a bunch of useless peasants and queue up a bunch of collect sand orders on the furnace by the sand. Now your skilled glassmakers can stay at the magma furnace and make glass as fast as they can, while your unskilled glassmaker "apprentices" collect sand, and a small army of haulers move sandbags and empty bags back and forth.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #45239 on: January 05, 2016, 03:48:03 pm »

Collect Sand uses Item Hauling, not Glassmaking.
Pages: 1 ... 3014 3015 [3016] 3017 3018 ... 3839