Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3010 3011 [3012] 3013 3014 ... 3839

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5979278 times)

Cerapter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #45165 on: January 03, 2016, 03:14:46 pm »

I've been wondering...

Would a full-adventurer fort be possible? Of course, not from the start, but you could set up some basic necessities for the fortresses, create some adventurers, and kill off every dwarf.

Change the population limit to really low, but not the hard pop. limit, let them have sweet adventurer babies, and there you go.

...That would be a really interesting community fortress, actually. Both from the adventurer and the fortress mode players' perspective.
My anaconda man don't want none unless you got 5,000 cm3 of [SELECT_BP:LOWER_BODY:REAR][SELECT_ADDITIONAL_BP:UPPER_LEGS:REAR] hun.

Civilian squads: a suggestion regarding Dwarf Therapist, maintaining stock levels, independent workshop-usage and the military screen.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #45166 on: January 03, 2016, 03:19:41 pm »

It would be very difficult to pull off, but very interesting to see.  You'd basically need to run a long-term adventurer-filled world retiring rather than killing everybody, then start the fort in the general area they all retired.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

SyrusLD

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #45167 on: January 03, 2016, 03:21:12 pm »

I've been wondering...

Would a full-adventurer fort be possible? Of course, not from the start, but you could set up some basic necessities for the fortresses, create some adventurers, and kill off every dwarf.

Change the population limit to really low, but not the hard pop. limit, let them have sweet adventurer babies, and there you go.

...That would be a really interesting community fortress, actually. Both from the adventurer and the fortress mode players' perspective.
I'd assume if you kill off every dwarf the fortress will be considered "dead". Unless of course you first settled all the adventurers there and then killed them off in fortress mode...hm...sounds like it could definatly be possible, as long as the settling of adventurers now works; when I settled a brown recluse spider man in one of my previous fortresses he was shown as "hostile", not as part of the fortress population sadly.

News from Rocksinged: the siege is over, the goblins/elves left. So did the Black Bear Man Swordsman visitor. Meh.
In Remembrance of Bengel Hairybasement,
Strangler of a Sasquatch, Troglodytes and a Cyclops,
Slayer of a Giantess, whom he burned alive.
Died in a Heroic Fight with a Grizzly Bear.

Jefthefirst

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45168 on: January 03, 2016, 03:28:59 pm »

A dwarf will activate a weapon trap, cage trap, or stonefall trap if it becomes unconscious or webbed on the trap's tile.

It's a really, really bad idea to let your dwarves do any kind of fighting in your trap field.

That is good to know, thank you.

The Vampire in my fort claimed another victim. This time the child of my Guard Captain, Obok, who slew a giant dingo in world gen in his 20's and a Hill Titan at my fort at age 69. I really like this dorf because he "is brave in the face of imminent danger" so this damned vampire has gone too far.

I checked the thoughts of all my 105 dwarves to see who had seen him die, or if anyone had the "has taken joy in slaughter recently" thought. I found nothing, so I'm beginning to suspect it's a marksdwarf who is visiting one of my temples who has stuck around longer than any other visitor (I have no tavern right now)
I just atom smashed 30 children.

Cerapter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45169 on: January 03, 2016, 03:29:48 pm »

How I thought would be basically that the first, like, 7 adventurers wouldn't be made by their owners, but the person leading the community fort.
They'd be instantly retired at the fort.
The original seven would be killed.
Pop cap would be 0, if that still allows adventurers to retire at forts successfully. Hard pop cap COULD be higher.
Migrants are instantly killed if they're not stopped by the pop cap.
(Also the fortress starter would have invasions and shit turned out, could even cheat to get the fortress of the ground.)

After the fortress is ready, people get the ability to create and wander off with their adventurer if they so wish, but they MUST return to the fort.

As for fortress players, well, the problem here is that they might not necessarily keep the adventurers alive. I thought of implementing a weighted random turn system, where
- playing a round gives everyone else +1
- dying during an adventure gives everyone else +5
- letting an adventurer die gives everyone else +5
Or something like that.

I'd assume if you kill off every dwarf the fortress will be considered "dead". Unless of course you first settled all the adventurers there and then killed them off in fortress mode...hm...sounds like it could definatly be possible, as long as the settling of adventurers now works; when I settled a brown recluse spider man in one of my previous fortresses he was shown as "hostile", not as part of the fortress population sadly.
Heh, of course, the True 7 (the adventurers) would be put in first, THEN the False 7 (the starting dorfs) would be killed.

And, well, I heard about that hostile thing, though I've never seen it. I could start at my fort as a brown spideyman, but I could also retire back there without difficulties.
My anaconda man don't want none unless you got 5,000 cm3 of [SELECT_BP:LOWER_BODY:REAR][SELECT_ADDITIONAL_BP:UPPER_LEGS:REAR] hun.

Civilian squads: a suggestion regarding Dwarf Therapist, maintaining stock levels, independent workshop-usage and the military screen.

Jefthefirst

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45170 on: January 03, 2016, 03:56:57 pm »

A Vile Force of Darkness has arrived!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 04:13:52 pm by Jefthefirst »

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45171 on: January 03, 2016, 04:10:30 pm »

Everyone was getting out of sync again on the pumpstack, so I decided to turn it off and let everyone rest for a while, did a little mining to improve flow into the resevoir, and fired it back up again. It woun't be too much longer until the siege comes and everyone will have nothing better to do than run the pumps. Let's that this is the final push for this layer...
Insert_Gnome_Here has claimed a computer terminal!

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

Jefthefirst

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45172 on: January 03, 2016, 04:28:01 pm »

Uh oh. My miners are hearing some strange noises deep in the mines. Something tells me this fortress will now be short lived.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45173 on: January 03, 2016, 05:03:48 pm »

One of my miners (starting 7) is badly distracted after a lack of decent meals.  She likes banana beer and horse's milk.  I have horse's milk, but I've never cooked milk into a meal before... wondering how to manage that.  Just allowing it in the kitchen doesn't seem to be enough to get them to cook with a liquid, unless of course I don't want them to....
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

SyrusLD

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #45174 on: January 03, 2016, 05:04:59 pm »

The good news from Rocksinged is...
Saltwater crocodile hatchlings have hatched.

The bad news from Rocksinged is...

Well...finally. Wish you could use their skin for leather, but heh, at least I can turn off my hunters now.

And ... I've been having a moody carpenter who needs:
logs, stone, bones, bones, "cloth thread", stone
He already has:
3 logs, stone, bones and more bones.

I assume he needs a silk thread, which, going by the stockscreen I have, but I guess I don't have it or something. Checked the hospital, none there. I definatly have at least 1 wool thread and hundreds of plant fiber thread...sucks a bit, going to lose yet another dwarf to cloth/thread related moods. The 5th now.
In Remembrance of Bengel Hairybasement,
Strangler of a Sasquatch, Troglodytes and a Cyclops,
Slayer of a Giantess, whom he burned alive.
Died in a Heroic Fight with a Grizzly Bear.

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45175 on: January 03, 2016, 05:09:59 pm »

The good news from Rocksinged is...

The bad news from Rocksinged is...

Well...finally. Wish you could use their skin for leather, but heh, at least I can turn off my hunters now.

And ... I've been having a moody carpenter who needs:
logs, stone, bones, bones, "cloth thread", stone
He already has:
3 logs, stone, bones and more bones.

I assume he needs a silk thread, which, going by the stockscreen I have, but I guess I don't have it or something. Checked the hospital, none there. I definatly have at least 1 wool thread and hundreds of plant fiber thread...sucks a bit, going to lose yet another dwarf to cloth/thread related moods. The 5th now.
Just open the caverns already, you'll have all the silk you'll ever need.

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #45176 on: January 03, 2016, 05:18:06 pm »

One of my miners (starting 7) is badly distracted after a lack of decent meals.  She likes banana beer and horse's milk.  I have horse's milk, but I've never cooked milk into a meal before... wondering how to manage that.  Just allowing it in the kitchen doesn't seem to be enough to get them to cook with a liquid, unless of course I don't want them to....
make a milk stockpile that does not accept barrels around your kitchen, so it's the closest stockpile. Then milk some creatures. Not sure, but I don't think milk in barrels can be used, I think you really need to milk creatures in your fortress and get milk in buckets. The buckets with milk will be stored in the barrel-less milk stockpile. Then just queue some lavish meals, and a dwarf should grab the milk as an ingredient. it's just that liquid ingredients seem to be not really popular for cooks. I always make sure my liquid ingredient stockpiles are the closest stockpiles to my kitchens.

Also, if a dwarf likes booze in his profile, he'll get a good thought for drinking that booze, but he'll also get the decent meal thought if you manage to use that booze as a cooking ingredient. So if you can buy some banana beer from the human caravan, that works too.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

vidboi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45177 on: January 03, 2016, 05:25:57 pm »

Year 507 - the 8th year of Wallwater - and with the dawning of the age of legends a sieging army of 225 goblins, trolls and mounts descended upon the fortress. With markdwarves positioned on the walls the militia stormed the first few invaders at the gates and then charged out to meet the invaders head on...

With bolts raining down from the battlements the horde of beakdog-mounted goblins crashed into the dwarf militia and a tense line battle erupted with both sides gaining and losing the upper hand (as well as many other limbs, hehe). Eventually dwarven reinforcements turned the tide of the battle and the goblins were slaughtered with only 2 escaping.

It was not without its cost however. Ten dwarves lie dead, including my militia commander Kol Bomrekorrun Gingim Immast and second in command Atir Mosulrul - two of my starting dwarves - and now the long task of burying the dead and retraining the new recruits begins in earnest...

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45178 on: January 03, 2016, 05:42:19 pm »

2 weeks before autumn, and the pump operators are falling out of sync again. This must be how Sisyphus must feel in Hades. I stopped the pumps and have ordered the construction of walls that will guide the water to the magma and contain it from going anywhere it is not needed.

I don't care if it takes a hundred in-game years, I will have my perfect obsidian fortress!

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45179 on: January 03, 2016, 06:05:10 pm »

make a milk stockpile that does not accept barrels around your kitchen, so it's the closest stockpile. Then milk some creatures. Not sure, but I don't think milk in barrels can be used, I think you really need to milk creatures in your fortress and get milk in buckets.

Well, I tried a different way: I already have a milk stockpile, with milk in pots/barrels.  I allowed horse's milk to be cooked, but no other milk.

Then I built a new kitchen, and created a second 1x1 food stockpile near it.  I made the kitchen take from the milk stockpile, and from the new stockpile.  I made the new stockpile not accept barrels, and I manually dumped a stack of dog meat in it.  Then I queued up a "cook easy meal" job in the new kitchen.

Unfortunately, that didn't work.  Someone noticed the dog meat sitting on the floor without a barrel, and decided to be helpful and merge it into one of the meat barrels in the other stockpile.  Cook easy meal job cancelled.

So, try #2: I nuked the 1x1 stockpile, and made a 2x1 food stockpile, accepting barrels, and only accepting dog meat.  Then I disallowed dog meat in the main meat stockpile.  (Oh my GOD there are a lot of types of meat.  Holy crap.)  Eventually someone brought a barrel with 3 stacks of dog meat into the new stockpile.  I queued up a "Cook lavish meal" job, which would be forced to use the 3 stacks of dog meat and the horse's milk.  While that was underway, someone decided that the third stack of dog meat (size 1) looked really tasty, so they took it to eat.  That left me with only 2 stacks of dog meat in the barrel.  So, I cancelled the "cook lavish meal" job, and queued up a "cook fine meal" job.  FINALLY, the cook managed to get there, and brought the 2 stacks of dog meat and the pot of horse's milk to the new kitchen.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz
Pages: 1 ... 3010 3011 [3012] 3013 3014 ... 3839