Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3009 3010 [3011] 3012 3013 ... 3840

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6000093 times)

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #45150 on: January 03, 2016, 10:35:36 am »

Finally finished the west part of my bridge after 5 in-game years... only to discover there's 3 world tiles on the gap, meaning there's a full tile with only ocean. *sobs*

Ah well, went into legends to check the colors of the emblem of my government, and drew it:

And the civ's emblem:

Gonna do some adventuring now.

Also, just noticed the embark workmap starts blossoming in summer:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45151 on: January 03, 2016, 10:42:23 am »

There's always one idiot (actually, more than one idiot, sometimes) who I find on the wrong side of the wall....he's just lucky I'm suspending the last wall until he wakes up and gets out of there.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 10:47:30 am by cochramd »
Insert_Gnome_Here has claimed a computer terminal!

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

Urist McGoombaBrother

• Bay Watcher
  • Trust the plump helmet! ♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠
    • View Profile
« Reply #45152 on: January 03, 2016, 11:04:50 am »

Just had a battle of 5 Wereshrews vs 2 Wereelks within one locked area deep within my fortress near the sleeping rooms. I knew the wooden doors won't hold them, but I didn't expect them to fight each other. However, I had no idea what to do with all those dwarves turning into werecreatures anyway.

Spoiler: Battle Results (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Battlefield (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 11:07:40 am by Urist McGoombaBrother »

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #45153 on: January 03, 2016, 11:04:59 am »

Just found out that voracious cave crawlers yield teeth when butchered. Time to decorate my masterwork furniture, which is already covered in bones, shell and horn, with some nice sharp teeth, for that little bit of extra comfort.

Decorating with bone is crazy. The more different creatures you have, the longer the list of decorations per item gets. It really adds to fort value significantly once your bonecrafters start spamming masterpiece decorations.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45154 on: January 03, 2016, 11:31:29 am »

Well, this should be good. Let's see if 5 unarmed dwarfs can take it down....

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #45155 on: January 03, 2016, 11:35:57 am »

Mother of Armok, if mining were a skill that was actually difficult to train that would be an awesome exploit.

Of course, if someone wants an instant miner militia, this could be one way. Edëm got from Legendary to Legendary+5 in only five cycles of the danger room repeater.

She hasn't conjured any more pots into her inventory but she did get attached to all eight of them. She wields them all simultaneously and parries equally with each one. I can't even picture in my mind how that would work in practice.

I might have to recruit her into military to see how strong her pot fu is in real combat. What kind of uniform should I assign to her to preserve her chosen, er, weapons?
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #45156 on: January 03, 2016, 11:45:03 am »

Drat. Despite being diagnosed over a 1000 times during a dwarfyear, and being washed every month, my last crundle victim, although he's out of hospital and working happily, is showing an infection in his finger. I fear the worst, since he's very slow to heal.
He's my legendary armorsmith. Good thing I have a spare one of those (2 platinum breastplates if you remember).

That's what you get with a novice medical team (points at the link in my sig)

EDIT: drat again, the other finger victims have an infection too.

Perhaps I should arrange for a nonlethal but slightly injuring accident for them, so they're forced back into hospital. I need another finger biting crundle
« Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 12:04:52 pm by martinuzz »

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45157 on: January 03, 2016, 12:10:49 pm »

Well, the unarmed militia didn't do very well, but fortunately a planter with a steel pick happened by and dealt horrific wounds to the beast, though the kill was stolen from him by an unarmed papermaker. The beast killed a few people, but no one important and my pumpstack remains intact, so all things considered I'd say it went pretty well. Back to watching water flow in blazing fast 6-8 FPS....

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #45158 on: January 03, 2016, 12:32:35 pm »

One of the hunters decided to pick a fight with one of the resident giant crickets with deadly vapor that had been happy to hang out at the bottom of a cavern lake.

Naturally said cricket decided to punish them.  I order all the civilians inside and activate the military at the cavern fortifications.  Seems the hunter is one of the crossbowmen, so she's not backing down.  But no wonder she is part of my military, she is some kind of crack shot. 5 bolts fired, 5 bolts hit before the cricket gets into melee causing the kind of wounds that would be incapacitating to anything that could feel pain. The beast is actually grounded and forced to crawl the last few tiles.

The crossbowwoman takes the vapor burst and gets one arm and a wing ripped off (yes modded race) but keeps fighting.  It seems the forgotten beast's vapor is working against it.  It makes those effected numb to pain.  The beast fails to inflict any more harm as the fight continues, it seems that she is now too good of a dodger.  The hunter emptied her entire quiver of at least 20 bone bolts into the beast (hitting every shot).  And proceeds to make a fool of the thing, dodging every attack while tapping it harmlessly with her featherwood crossbow.  Her punches are doing more harm.

During one dodge the forgotten beast actually seems to be running away!  It's moving closer to the fort but away from the crossbowwoman.  The rest of the military seeing the fight are charging out of the fortifications to assist and catch it halfway there, beating it to a bloody pulp.

The forgotten beast's syndrome:  Seems to be nothing but temporary numbness, and oozing pus.  The deadly vapor's deadliness was greatly exaggerated.  In fact, I'll even call that beneficial.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45159 on: January 03, 2016, 01:47:55 pm »

So, I somehow caged an engraver while trying to use my GCS farm. [...] I had no idea it was possible to cage your own Dwarves.

A dwarf will activate a weapon trap, cage trap, or stonefall trap if it becomes unconscious or webbed on the trap's tile.

It's a really, really bad idea to let your dwarves do any kind of fighting in your trap field.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #45160 on: January 03, 2016, 01:51:49 pm »

On the bright side, it can be exploited, or at least could be. Not sure if it still works in 42.x versions.
Being released from a cage gives a dwarf a huge happiness boost.
In older versions, it could get them all the way from very unhappy to ecstatic. Webbing over cage traps and capturing your dwarves made for excellent dwarf psychotherapy.

EDIT: Yay, I got my first full citizenship petition. A human Poet is now a citizen. I bet it makes her happy. She sucks at poetry, and she dreams of becoming a legendary warrior. WELCOME TO DRAFT SERVICE!
Awesome btw, how humans have completely different values in their thoughts screen.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 02:08:14 pm by martinuzz »

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45161 on: January 03, 2016, 02:34:05 pm »

The human caravan has arrived, but I'm not even going to bother, I'm too busy with the pumpstack. Oh Armok, I'm due for a goblin siege this autumn! Better expand the invasion burrow to include the pumpstack. I'm nearly done casting the first obsidian layer, and I'm not sure whether or not to set up a dwarven water reactor for casting the second. On one hand, I know that it'll make the casting go faster as the flow won't be interrupted when one dwarf goes on break and his replacement takes a while to get to the pump. On the other hand, many dwarves have experienced INSANE attribute gains in under a year because I've been running the pumps manually. Seriously, my wimpy traders, now legendary pump operators, are some of the best candidates for military service in the fort!

« Reply #45162 on: January 03, 2016, 02:45:09 pm »

I'm making a fort in a very young world and trying to see a newborn dorf live long enough to die of old age.

I'm taking bets on how long they'll last.

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45163 on: January 03, 2016, 02:48:12 pm »

I'm making a fort in a very young world and trying to see a newborn dorf live long enough to die of old age.

I'm taking bets on how long they'll last.
Where are you embarking? How do you plan to defend yourselves against various threats? What are your industries planned to be like? Are you plotting megaprojects of any sort? How many forgotten beasts, titans, megabeasts and semimegabeasts are alive in this world? Details like that are kind of important.

SyrusLD

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #45164 on: January 03, 2016, 02:54:32 pm »

Out of nowhere one of the human poets in my tavern just skidded across the tavern grounds, his head taking a bruising ... and his lower body exploded into gore. Then he smashed into a wall, dead.

I have no idea how or why that happened, he's lying on a tile with a stair up, but that stair only goes 1 level up, so he can't have fallen or such...

Not a major loss though, I still got dozens of other humans to replace him.

Been under siege by a massive army of trolls, beak dogs and goblins since quite some time now, several visitors running around in the fort, wanting to leave...
My invader entrance with all the traps is sadly not set up yet, otherwise I might be able to take care of them.
In Remembrance of Bengel Hairybasement,
Strangler of a Sasquatch, Troglodytes and a Cyclops,
Slayer of a Giantess, whom he burned alive.
Died in a Heroic Fight with a Grizzly Bear.
Pages: 1 ... 3009 3010 [3011] 3012 3013 ... 3840