Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 300 301 [302] 303 304 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6098830 times)

caknuck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #4515 on: July 28, 2010, 04:16:19 pm »

The new mayor was getting fussy about the office/dining room he inherited, so I built him a new apartment with a dedicated food stockpile and plenty of exceptional-quality statues. He's a bit happier now.

Quickly leveled the bonecarver up to legendary using the shell helm exploit in 31.08, so now my bling burrow is two-thirds complete.

Finally got around to removing the [PET_EXOTIC] tag from the raws, so now my fox farm is getting underway.
Quote from: Primary
*Kneels before Urist Dickpuncher*

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4516 on: July 28, 2010, 04:25:59 pm »

Shell helm exploit?
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4517 on: July 28, 2010, 04:34:48 pm »

If you tried to produce an item from shell, you'd get nothing (the shell wouldn't even be consumed) but the dwarf would still gain experience. So they'd sit there in their little shop staring intently at the shell and imagining all the ways they could cut it, eventually getting to legendary without actually producing anything.

Was fixed in .10 or so.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 07:46:38 pm by Niveras »

JoRo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4518 on: July 28, 2010, 04:38:45 pm »

Naturally, the goblins ambush now that I've got 15 sane dwarves and no one with any weapon skill at all.  Looks like the end of this fort.
You have been struck down.
The giant cave spider spits out your head.

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4519 on: July 28, 2010, 09:14:14 pm »

"Engraved on the wall is a superiorly designed image of Rovod WoundPointy the dwarf and Dwarves By Urist McEngraver. The Dwarves are refusing Rovod WoundPointy. Rovod Woundpointy looks dejected. The Artwork relates to the departure of Rovod Woundpointy from the position of Expedition Leader of The Sensative Roof in Early Winter of 1056."

this is one of several engravings of Rovod being refused by the dwarves. They seem to dislike him.
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4520 on: July 28, 2010, 10:58:33 pm »

An etten showed up.  It ran towards the 'donkey on a rope' ambush defense system.  And chased it around the rope for a short time before grabbing by the back hoof, gutpunching it once, then flinging it AT LEAST 80 tiles to the edge of the map where the donkey just hung in the air for a few seconds before falling one z-level to the ground completely unharmed.

After the ettin was dispatched and the mess cleaned up, I found the donkey had dutifully tied itself back up to the rope, as if nothing happened.

Just another day in Talonfalls.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Eduren

• Bay Watcher
  • A new theme!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4521 on: July 28, 2010, 11:10:13 pm »

An etten showed up.  It ran towards the 'donkey on a rope' ambush defense system.  And chased it around the rope for a short time before grabbing by the back hoof, gutpunching it once, then flinging it AT LEAST 80 tiles to the edge of the map where the donkey just hung in the air for a few seconds before falling one z-level to the ground completely unharmed.

After the ettin was dispatched and the mess cleaned up, I found the donkey had dutifully tied itself back up to the rope, as if nothing happened.

Check the donkey's description to see if it grew opposable thumbs at some point. :P
I don't know.  Duke wants me to stop playing mafia.
That's the sign of an abusive boyfriend, Toony... you don't have to listen to him.

AngleWyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4522 on: July 29, 2010, 12:43:29 am »

Just cleaned out the first dwarven caravan, selling them dwarven syrup, easy meals and rock crafts.

Now I'm waiting for Dwarf Therapist to catch up to 31.12 so I can better assign my immigrants.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4523 on: July 29, 2010, 01:28:43 am »

Check the donkey's description to see if it grew opposable thumbs at some point. :P

ropes are rather elastic. I had one animal bungee jump off a 30z level tower after an encounter with a giant... it seemed to hit the ground, with no wounds, and sproinged back up to its post. Then it had its head ripped off by the giant a few turns later.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Urist McTaverish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4524 on: July 29, 2010, 01:30:10 am »

ropes are rather elastic. I had one animal bungee jump off a 30z level tower after an encounter with a giant... it seemed to hit the ground, with no wounds, and sproinged back up to its post. Then it had its head ripped off by the giant a few turns later.
This calls for experimentation!
Here at Bay12, we're constantly looking for ways to set the world on fire.
But at least after all the chaos, the weather cleared.

saru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4525 on: July 29, 2010, 02:49:38 am »

I've never had such luck with moods. My high master weaponsmith and my just recently legendary armorsmith got moods just a year apart. So now they're certainly Legendary+5, and every time they get called to the forge, they casually toss of masterworks left and right. My furnaces are constantly cranking to provide them enough bronze and steel for armor and weapons.

Had a bronze colossus, two forgotten beasts, and a huge goblin siege show up all in one year. Some in a single season.
This huge goblin siege had 6 goblin squads, three lead by elites, and three squads of trolls in tow. This ties with the last one that showed up, featuring the Goblin warleader in front of a bunch of hammergob cavalry, three more squads of goblins each led by an elite of some sort, plus four groups of trolls.
And between the two sieges I had a mountain titan (a feathered worm with fire breath) show up and fly into my above ground statue garden.

I'm just letting the forgotten beasts wander around for now. Perhaps they'll kill some of the unnamed cave swallowman civilization. The bronze colossus got stopped by a cage trap.  I think I'll save him for the arena, once more of my military abandons the iron and copper gear they've pulled off of goblins and seem to prefer over the triple bar and masterwork steel my armorer has been cranking out.

I got overconfident with this second siege. The first I let through my staggered bridges in smaller groups, and cleaned the softening traps in between a couple sets.
This one I mostly met in direct battle as soon as they'd gone through the first corridor. They'd been weakened, for sure, but still posed some challenge. They eventually got a sword dwarf alone and about eight goblins eventually managed to knock him unconscious. Later, he bled out. An axedwarf without a weapon was also slain.
My military commander has now racked up 48 notable kills, bears the title "The Horn of Weeping" and I have three other dwarves with titles.

A militia captain died after refusing treatment ("Urist McSurgeon cancels surgery, patient not resting") for her upper arm compound fracture (she accumulated about a half dozen kills after this wound had been administered, by the way. I never knew spears were so effective, but I saw a lot of "... drives the spear into Gobbo von Goblin's eye, tearing the tendon, breaking the skull, driving the skull into the brain, and splattering the brain," or something to that effect.
I thought that Dwarves getting up in the middle of surgery had been fixed in 0.31.12, but this is the second dwarf I've had succumb to infection after deciding to walk around wounded:
last year my second legendary miner died. He nonsensically channeled a small section of floor in basically the only possible pattern that would've resulted in a cave in, and ended up with a punctured lung and compound fractures on all of his limbs. He went to the hospital, but as soon as his wounds were dressed, and he was cleaned the first time, he went back to mining. While it is unspeakably dwarfy to go back to mining with bones poking out of each of your limbs, and a punctured lung, I do wish he hadn't succumbed to infection. Oh well. He has a tomb befitting his greatness now.

That reminds me, I've had to forbid soap because dwarves will keep picking it up, carrying it a few squares, and then spamming me with cancellation messages: "cancels clean self: area inaccessible". I thought that was also fixed for 0.31.12. Was it only animals?

Vertigon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4526 on: July 29, 2010, 06:00:24 am »

Laughing so hard. My awedwarf has an axe, right? So what's he do? He punches the unicorn so hard he creates a vacuum in it's head.

"jamming the skull through the brain"

Always makes me laugh.

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4527 on: July 29, 2010, 08:16:02 am »

Laughing so hard. My awedwarf has an axe, right? So what's he do? He punches the unicorn so hard he creates a vacuum in it's head.

"jamming the skull through the brain"

Always makes me laugh.

Dwarven... PAWNCH
WHY DID YOU HAVE ME KICK THEM WTF I DID NOT WANT TO BE SHOT AT.
I dunno, you guys have survived Thomas the tank engine, golems, zombies, nuclear explosions, laser whales, and being on the same team as ragnarock.  I don't think something as tame as a world ending rain of lava will even slow you guys down.

Fistbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4528 on: July 29, 2010, 09:09:05 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Ah, hell.
My dwarves have almost nothing but adamantine armor, and I'm still worried about this.
EDIT: No. Just... No. It was over in five seconds.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2010, 01:41:13 pm by Fistbeard »
Goblin ambush party cancels Hunt: Interrupted by 'Pyonta' Godenakum Ngalknazom.

SmileyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4529 on: July 29, 2010, 11:12:17 am »

A giantess turned up at my fort, which precipitated a disaster.

I had only two speardwarves in the military, so I sent them to hold her off.  One, the militia commander, managed to puncture her lung, but both were killed and she survived.  She lumbered on towards the fortress, so I hastily drafted anyone with hunting skills and made a crossbow squad.  They unleashed a few bolts, but no damage was done, and she quickly killed them as well.

I had three iron spears sat freshly made in the forge, so I desperately ordered three peasants to pick them up and charge into the attack.  She swatted them away like flies, and waded through the wardogs as if they weren't there, before chasing some dwarves who were trying to bury the dead.  Instead they joined them

At that point, the goblins seiged the fort.  Trapped between the giantess roaming the catacombs, and the goblins bursting through the front door, the dwarves were slaughtered....

"Conquered"
In a fat-fingered moment while setting up another military squad I accidentally created a captain of the guard rather than a militia captain.  His squad of near-legendary hammerdwarves equipped with high quality silver hammers then took it upon themselves to dispense justice to all the mandate breakers in the fortress.  It was quite messy.
Pages: 1 ... 300 301 [302] 303 304 ... 3842