Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3007 3008 [3009] 3010 3011 ... 3841

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6068719 times)

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #45120 on: January 02, 2016, 06:56:57 pm »

Apparently elves can spread propaganda about the exact content of their "jungles". I embarked right in the middle of five of their retreats, (all of which my civ is at war with) on a "heavily forested" river with nothing but axes and the intent to clearcut everything and build a mighty wooden castle in it's place. But when my dwarves arrived, there were no trees at all.
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #45121 on: January 02, 2016, 07:04:45 pm »

I salute my forts' novice medical team. They apparently can regrow fingers that exploded into gore. They managed to restore the fingers from "smashed beyond recognition" to "broken, and smashed open" on two of my dwarves. They are already back to work. I expect full recovery, since there's no nerve damage. The third is spending his days "in traction", but he's very slow to heal. He's being taken care of very well though. They even cleaned his wounds (again), while he's lying in traction. Eventually, I think even that dwarf will fully recover, since his finger is also back up to "broken, and smashed open" status.

Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45122 on: January 02, 2016, 07:20:45 pm »

That's awesome! Dwarven healthcare is one of my favorite aspects of DF.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #45123 on: January 02, 2016, 08:26:31 pm »

Holy moly! That healthcare. Dwarf is still in traction. I check his health screens. For the past 60 dwarf days, my doctors have been diagnosing him at least 5 times a day. There's a few times where he got diagnosed around 20 times on a single day. The treatment list goes on forever. Once every few days they wash him with soap. Amazing. He's a goldmine for training diagnosis!

EDIT: my three diagnosticians went from dabbling to skilled, and from novice to accomplished, and from novice to adept in 60 days.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2016, 08:29:23 pm by martinuzz »

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45124 on: January 02, 2016, 08:29:58 pm »

And they still don't know what's wrong with him?
Insert_Gnome_Here has claimed a computer terminal!

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #45125 on: January 02, 2016, 08:32:25 pm »

They do, they're probably just constantly checking if he's ready to get off the traction bench, and if his wounds need cleaning.

SyrusLD

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #45126 on: January 02, 2016, 08:34:32 pm »

Hm...one of my bookbinders has gotten possessed. But instead of claiming a workshop of any kind he just keeps running around flashing a red ? and a purple ! ... kind of concerning. I feel like this will be dwarf #4 lost to a mood. Three others have died because they decided to want thread/cloth just after I used it all up ... in early winter.

Anyway, really hope all the work I'm putting into making glass traps will pay off and they actually work better than I fear. Still quite quiet this fortress, besides the dozens and dozens of visitors and the occasional kobold stumbling into my entrance and running away again.
In Remembrance of Bengel Hairybasement,
Strangler of a Sasquatch, Troglodytes and a Cyclops,
Slayer of a Giantess, whom he burned alive.
Died in a Heroic Fight with a Grizzly Bear.

Torrenal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45127 on: January 02, 2016, 08:36:43 pm »

Dwarven Liaison:   'The world is the same as ever'

Human Liaison appears to disagree.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

(I know there's a way to scale the image down, not sure what that method is...)

edit: Just looked at my civs list...  Evidently the local goblins are lead by a Chinchilla Demon.

//Torrenal
« Last Edit: January 02, 2016, 08:43:07 pm by Torrenal »

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45128 on: January 02, 2016, 09:18:20 pm »

I caged about six useless Troglodytes and a troll after I set up a bunch of cage traps trying to catch some Elk Birds or Cave Crocs, any ideas what to do with them?

Build a civilian excitation arena.  Got civilians who are cranky because they don't get enough excitement?  Once or twice a year, gather 'em all up in the arena and release the troglodyte.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #45129 on: January 02, 2016, 09:40:25 pm »

Humans have excitation centres as well.

They're called brothels.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Torrenal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45130 on: January 02, 2016, 10:24:56 pm »

My FPS has dwindled steadily in my fort today from 50 (where I had put the cap) to 2.

I'm pretty sure it's not going to dwindle much further, but I don't like how it did that.  I lost the last 10 fps without any caravan visits (where I buy a ton of crap while selling a ton of food).
Only thing I can think is its the clothes I've been making.  Everything else (except magma forges/smelters) I had been doing prior to the FPS drain, and while my fort pop has climbed, it didn't climb THAT much.  :S

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #45131 on: January 02, 2016, 10:26:08 pm »

It might be that fun pathfinding issue.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
  • Imagine a working link to Rickroll here
    • View Profile
« Reply #45132 on: January 02, 2016, 10:35:35 pm »

well I learned about how forgotten beast exactly work, all entrances are now sealed with bridges. Funny though, one web thrower and one flying lava blob and only 7 deaths...sadly I lost my near legendary speardwarf to the explosion from the fire fire blob.
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Ravioli Ravioli, the old broad died so now I play a Demon Loli.
Sig-texts!

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45133 on: January 03, 2016, 12:00:28 am »

The pumpstack was constructed without a hitch! Time to fire it up manually...
Insert_Gnome_Here has claimed a computer terminal!

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

Jefthefirst

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45134 on: January 03, 2016, 01:32:46 am »

I caged about six useless Troglodytes and a troll after I set up a bunch of cage traps trying to catch some Elk Birds or Cave Crocs, any ideas what to do with them?

Build a civilian excitation arena.  Got civilians who are cranky because they don't get enough excitement?  Once or twice a year, gather 'em all up in the arena and release the troglodyte.

I now have 18 Trogs captured due to a few additional groups wandering into my traps as well as a few that were already caged giving birth. I decided to use a few of them to decorate my Mayor and Guard Captain's rooms and the rest will be training for recruits in my "arena". I also have 3 Giant Cave Spiders im building a farm for, a Giant Olm, Giant Cave Toad, a Cave Croc and numerous naked Mole Rats. All of which are being trained save for the Spideys. I won't let them loose for a while though, until they're properly tame.

I love how each dwarf reacts to different situations depending on their inherent personalities. For example, a gremlin wandered past my traps into a well traveled area of the cavern and punched a War Dog. This aggroed the dog, his owner and a few nearby marksmen who promptly dealt with the threat. However a passing carpenter, Astesh Orbyearling, who "Has great difficulty mastering fear when confronted by danger" and "Prefers that everyone live as harmoniously as possible" was so overwhelmed by horror that she dropped her axe and waited for some time until she could carry on.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 01:53:28 am by Jefthefirst »
I just atom smashed 30 children.
Pages: 1 ... 3007 3008 [3009] 3010 3011 ... 3841