Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3004 3005 [3006] 3007 3008 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6080628 times)

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #45075 on: January 01, 2016, 05:46:27 pm »

Ah, and here are the goblins, on only the second day of autumn. Apparently, they haven't learned their lesson yet. Not all the new traps are up yet (I started in mid-summer), but I've got more than enough to slaughter these fools.
Insert_Gnome_Here has claimed a computer terminal!

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45076 on: January 01, 2016, 06:17:42 pm »

Siege II has come:

After just 9 goblins and 1 human mercenary in year 3 of Inkedborn, this time it was 50 goblins, 1 human and 13 trolls. Trolls got distracted by burial grounds (in fact, they are still piled against single doors in the entry hall there) but cleaning after main force is already in progress. And what a mess. It seems using hardly any traps, just wooden bolts and only leather armor (and warriors being not legendary yet becuase they were too drunk to spar effectively) balances not trained goblins with not the best equip quite well: from 23 military dwarves I lost 14, mainly because of lashers, metal bolts and exhaustion. No civilian loses so far, though. And with still 80 dwarves on hand I should be able to rebuild for next time.

Our view is currently a bit messy (ground level and level above it):
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
though it also has some positive effects:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Also, finally some iron equip to be smelted - so far just steel everywhere.

Preparing to deal with those trolls...
Beside other things, bay12forums is also the leader website in calculations of saguaro wood density.
(noted by jwoodward48df)

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45077 on: January 01, 2016, 07:12:53 pm »

The siege (only 200, which is really just a minor annoyance for me) was broken in a little over a week, though it would've been much quicker if the goblins hadn't started out so far from my traps. Maybe I'll get lucky and the caravan will still come!

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

Torrenal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45078 on: January 01, 2016, 07:57:08 pm »

Learning some of the nuances of my ramp setup...  it works fine till I start carving out rooms, then it has issues till I finish a couple rooms.  Which is confusing.

I've a room for filling minecarts with lava, just waiting on a mechanism and I can start setting up magma forges.

And werepig attack part 2 - it's in a well beating my axeman with a wet silk shoe, while marksmen stand around firing bolts.
//Torrenal

SyrusLD

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #45079 on: January 01, 2016, 09:42:47 pm »

Rocksinged had a Weregoat Child (Goblin Child) visiting which was a very scary enemy. One would think it'd be small an easy to kill, buuut ... nope.

Anyway, that has been quite some time ago. Didn't receive any dwarven caravans in the last years...don't understand why, I'd really need some leather.
Maybe if I skinned all the damn human poets/perfomers/dancer/etc. that are in my tavern I'd have enough leather to equip all my human archer mercs. I just noticed that I can't make arrows, which ... is kind of bad, considering that there are now bow users in my military.

A lot going on with the visitors. Barfights, some alcohol-related deaths, mountain gnome invasions, etc. pp.

And then I got this visitor. I felt like he was worht writing about here:

First non-human/goblin/elf visitor, hope he wants to stay!

EDIT:
Love the name by the way ... I mean, does the random name generator notice that the fortress is build on a vulcano or how did it pick that name?!
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 10:00:14 pm by SyrusLD »
In Remembrance of Bengel Hairybasement,
Strangler of a Sasquatch, Troglodytes and a Cyclops,
Slayer of a Giantess, whom he burned alive.
Died in a Heroic Fight with a Grizzly Bear.

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45080 on: January 01, 2016, 10:03:34 pm »

I was not lucky; no caravan came. The goblin corpse pile is full; I think I'll make my dwarfs spend all winter dumping goblin remains into the volcano.

Jefthefirst

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45081 on: January 01, 2016, 10:08:13 pm »

I caged about six useless Troglodytes and a troll after I set up a bunch of cage traps trying to catch some Elk Birds or Cave Crocs, any ideas what to do with them? Other than military practice.

On a side note I found some blue stuff in the bottom cavern layer.

edit: Just after posting this a GCS appearing in my top cavern layer, where my traps are, and I caught it!
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 10:25:00 pm by Jefthefirst »
I just atom smashed 30 children.

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45082 on: January 01, 2016, 11:34:18 pm »

Uh, is it just me or are bones magma-safe now? I'm watching countless mangled partial skeletons sink down the volcano and not disappear until they hit the bottom of the magma sea. And before you ask, yes, I do have temperature enabled.

Skribbblie

• Bay Watcher
  • Dlaglunkis slugutalbis!
    • View Profile
« Reply #45083 on: January 02, 2016, 12:13:09 am »

My citizens had a good time beating the crap out of some gray langurs wandering around near our wagon.

I'm not really sure that maiming someone and forcing them to live with a crippling disability for your amusement can really be considered "merciful." Just sayin'.
Dwarven mercy.

Jefthefirst

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45084 on: January 02, 2016, 12:56:47 am »

Alas! My first FB of my fort Avusonshen "Minechants" has come! Ewomotesh, a great Aquamarine Mosquito! It was fat, and undulated rhythmically. However it's thirst for warm blood was no match for my milita's own thirst.

Also a Stark Raving Mad Brewer has escaped into the caverns and is now running around completely naked with the troglodytes.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2016, 01:20:53 am by Jefthefirst »

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45085 on: January 02, 2016, 02:17:16 am »

No Liason this Autumn. The caravan arrived, and in the announcement log, I noticed:
No outpost liaison?  How curious...
A caravan from Doren Isram has arrived.

I also noticed that my goblin werezebra (kept in a cage) had turned into its zebra form the day before, and then turned back to goblin later that day. I wonder if my outpost liaison didn't show up because he is a were and his arrival would have been during the full moon?
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Jefthefirst

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45086 on: January 02, 2016, 04:50:26 am »

One of my Dwarves found one of their kin dead in bed, completely drained of blood. Evidently there is a Vampire in the Fortress.

HiddenEyes056

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh my gosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #45087 on: January 02, 2016, 07:58:32 am »

I have enabled mechanics on all my doctors, traders and my one architect so that the traps will be completed sooner. They keeping suspended because, supposedly, the builders can't reach the site, which is clearly bullshit when I go to look at the trap. This problem has plagued me since day one of trapline construction, and I don't understand why it happens.

Make sure there's nothing sitting on top of the traps that's being used by anyone else, including items being hauled. Might be hidden rocks or something.
So basically the Mountainhomes is now sending complimentary cheese dip with every caravan.
A named spider who died centuries before I even played was helping rescue kids I had in fact rescued.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #45088 on: January 02, 2016, 08:25:18 am »

No Liason this Autumn. The caravan arrived, and in the announcement log, I noticed:
No outpost liaison?  How curious...
A caravan from Doren Isram has arrived.

I also noticed that my goblin werezebra (kept in a cage) had turned into its zebra form the day before, and then turned back to goblin later that day. I wonder if my outpost liaison didn't show up because he is a were and his arrival would have been during the full moon?

Nah, you just get that message if for some reason the liaison did not make it to your fort. He propably got ambushed by bandits, or crossed the path of a goblin siege.
In my previous fort, I got that message for the first 3 years. Year 4, the liaison arrived as normal.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #45089 on: January 02, 2016, 09:11:13 am »

First non-human/goblin/elf visitor, hope he wants to stay!

EDIT:
Love the name by the way ... I mean, does the random name generator notice that the fortress is build on a vulcano or how did it pick that name?!

Hah! Just now, I accepted a new visitor. A human slave, named "Seduce Viletongs"
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479
Pages: 1 ... 3004 3005 [3006] 3007 3008 ... 3842