Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2995 2996 [2997] 2998 2999 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6088425 times)

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #44940 on: December 28, 2015, 01:06:38 am »

I only managed to kill about half the gobbos and their buddies before they started to retreat.....and there's this leftover 70 which are uninjured and just standing there while my dwarfs run away from them and my hunters take potshots at them. This is really annoying, as they're blocking off the only passage to the outside world. Oh, well, I suppose the human caravan will just slaughter them when they show up in summer.
Insert_Gnome_Here has claimed a computer terminal!

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

Torrenal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44941 on: December 28, 2015, 02:59:00 am »

I finished breaching the aquifer.
Made a slab for the inaccessible dwarf corpse, so now all spirits are at rest.
Found two caverns and magma, which is good since the few trees I've cut down were not regrowing fast enough to support a metal industry.  Or much of anything else, for that matter.

Total cost of the aquifer was 7 corpses, 4 drowned dwarves and three more dead of moods requiring stone, which is perhaps the most costly start I've ever seen, for starts entirely devoid of noteworthy combat.  First mood after I had access to stone?  Required no stone.  I can tell the game is taunting me.

My fort's gotten much more population, so I suppose I'll have to deal with the little things I've neglected (move the farms, assemble 2-3 squads, make a tavern, some temples, make some bedrooms, make beds, build traps galore, archer turret, lever controlled entrance, etc).  My dwarves are currently hurting for happiness, but I should have things put to right shortly.

Learning not to get distracted while trading.  Now I need to sort out how to easily get corpses out of cages.

Oh, and there's gobs and gobs of metal ores, by the looks of it.  First stone I found was magnetite ore, and the first layer I deemed safe for digging (I never setup one level below aquifers) is a flux layer.  Digging for lava I found an incredible variety of ores.  Should make for a viable defense, once I have unwelcome guests.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #44942 on: December 28, 2015, 09:51:01 am »

I've got a very narcissistic artist in my fort.

"She personally views craftsdwarfship with disgust, and would desecrate a so-called masterpiece or two if she could get away with it, disdains loyalty and finds artwork boring"

"She dreams of creating a great work of art and this dream was realized"
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44943 on: December 28, 2015, 10:10:34 am »

I left DF running all night. When I got up, the game was telling me that the human caravan had bypassedmy site because I had no trade depot, but most of the 70-odd invaders who had been standing around were either driven off the map or dead. Major props to my wardogs; they were one of the best investments I made at embark.

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

SlothPajamas

• Bay Watcher
  • Hear eloquence : Strong Need
    • View Profile
« Reply #44944 on: December 28, 2015, 12:27:46 pm »

Iv'e got a fort going on it's first year in a foresty type place with a river, and the game has just told me a carp has given birth. I must wonder if this is intended or rather it's like that bug where the game would be telling you that the clowns and magma crabs giving birth to a truck load of babies.
Lurking since 2013, i think.
Likes axolotls for their resemblance to a shining sun.

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
  • Imagine a working link to Rickroll here
    • View Profile
« Reply #44945 on: December 28, 2015, 12:29:37 pm »

Well, I now know the true meaning of beating a dead horse. I had an elven caravan come and being the person I am I tried to attack it. Turns out my dwarves left their weapons at the trade depot and the horse decided to pass out right on top of them cue about 15 pages of my entire fort punching an unconscious horse before the monk final decided to choke it to death.
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Ravioli Ravioli, the old broad died so now I play a Demon Loli.
Sig-texts!

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #44946 on: December 28, 2015, 03:33:00 pm »

...maybe this is a known bug/feature? But so far I'm not getting goblin sieges or ambushes. Instead, dozens of goblins come every season and stay as freeloaders at my tavern. Sometimes they become enraged at all enemies while reciting poetry.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #44947 on: December 28, 2015, 04:24:52 pm »

A Giantess attacked. She was taken down by a ferocious visiting bard armed with some crystal glass instrument and sharp teeth, without getting one hit in (with some help of my military, but that bard was awesome. I hope he petitions).

However, a dwarf and 2 humans got wounded, but not by the giant.

They got hurt when one of my scholars decided to jump over the 2-tile moat towards the battle with the giant. She skidded 7 tiles at high speed, slammed into the bard (who did jump away according to the combat log, but apparently jumped in the wrong direction and got hit after all) and then proceeded to slam into a visiting human Lady, who herself got propelled away 5 tiles by the impacting scholar. True dwarven cannonball.

The result: a left cheek that exploded into gore while skidding along the ground for the Lady, and lots of torn skin and bruised muscles and a few broken false ribs on the three of them. The bard just got the bruising though and kept fighting.

Too bad that human Lady hasn't petitioned yet. No plastical surgery training on her exploded cheek for my dwarves I guess.

Looking at the culprit scholar's profile, she's 'remarkably flimsy'. Yeah, you can say that again.

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

Tatjam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44948 on: December 28, 2015, 05:42:05 pm »

If you don't mind me asking, which tileset is that?

It's the CLA tileset, fits the gap between ASCII and graphics  :)  (It comes with the Lazy Newb pack)

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44949 on: December 28, 2015, 05:49:29 pm »

Instead of a goblin siege, an elven caravan came this spring. Something strange must be afoot.....

Romeofalling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Art of Amul
« Reply #44950 on: December 28, 2015, 06:12:45 pm »

Screwed up my fortress by assigning my miners to a military squad equipping picks, and my wood cutters to an axedwarf squad. Decided to use this as an excuse to switch from 0.40 to 0.42. Trying several new things:

Instead of the fairly common 3x3 central staircase design, I'm using a 7-diameter circle around a central pillar.

XXX
X X
X X
X X
X X
X X
XXX

Debating if I want to hollow out the central pillar at some point to give me a shaft of light in the center, or if I want to engrave it.

My new map is closer to the ocean than I've ever played before, though without any ocean tiles included. I thought this would avoid the saltwater problem, but it hasn't. My overview map has the two edges that would lead to the ocean marked as ocean tiles. I'm wondering if that means monsters won't come from that side.

It's been only 3 months and my mason has repeatedly become enraged for no reason that I can tell. His emotional history says he is bitter about an argument, but everybody is still friends.

For a lark, I decided to assign jobs based on each dwarf's personality and preferences. One dwarf likes green glass, so I'm going to set up a glass industry. Another liked iron, so he's a smith. Another liked axes, so he's the carpenter/treeslayer. Another guy likes large serrated discs. I made him a mechanic, but I'm looking for better suggestions.

I arrived, and discovered that the single male dog I brought with me is, according to Therapist, asexual. Guess my wardog breeding program is going to have to wait....

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44951 on: December 28, 2015, 06:39:40 pm »

Some migrants have arrived, "despite the danger". Uh-oh. I got a bad feeling about this....

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #44952 on: December 28, 2015, 06:50:20 pm »

Debating if I want to hollow out the central pillar at some point to give me a shaft of light in the center, or if I want to engrave it.

Why not both? Hollow it out, leaving a circle you could engrave on.
On DF Wiki ˇ On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #44953 on: December 28, 2015, 08:20:15 pm »

Praise Armok. Two dwarves went into a clothier mood.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Thanks Toady, for making equipping socks and boots work properly! (or almost properly, I did have to remove the boots from the equipment list and then put them back in for them to be worn, but hey, it works)

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44954 on: December 28, 2015, 09:58:43 pm »

Praise Armok. Two dwarves went into a clothier mood.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Thanks Toady, for making equipping socks and boots work properly! (or almost properly, I did have to remove the boots from the equipment list and then put them back in for them to be worn, but hey, it works)
TWO artifact socks?! I cannot even....

What the hell? Why are there suddenly things in my cavern?

Pages: 1 ... 2995 2996 [2997] 2998 2999 ... 3842