Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2977 2978 [2979] 2980 2981 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6091700 times)

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #44670 on: December 19, 2015, 06:16:17 am »

Smelting time, at last.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Beside other things, bay12forums is also the leader website in calculations of saguaro wood density.
(noted by jwoodward48df)

RickRollYou2

• Bay Watcher
  • [START_BIOME:EARTH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #44671 on: December 19, 2015, 06:26:01 am »

One of my dorfs got possessed and made an artifact statue. I'm going to put it into the centre of my non-denominational temple... as soon as i figure out how to get it out of the damn wheel barrow.

Try dumping the wheelbarrow, then reclaiming the statue within... or do wheelbarrows not work like barrels and bins?

PFunk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44672 on: December 19, 2015, 06:28:51 am »

Currently I'm rather annoyed that the Bodyfountain hasn't lost a single citizen in its third year.

Hellzon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44673 on: December 19, 2015, 07:25:41 am »

So it came to be that the Mountain of Bulbs decided to form a colony in the glacier The Just Ice, rich in ores, ice and not much else.

The first group of seven settlers dug out shelters in the ice, set up workshops, and then six of them died trying to chase off a yeti with no weapons. The seventh, in shame, fled into the icy wastes.

The reclamation party brought an axedwarf for protection. They set up memorials for the six original settlers and got a nice industry going, even a tavern. Mercenaries arrived to tell stories in the tavern. The caverns were breached and plans were underway to explore them. Things looked good.

Then in the fourth year, a necromancer snuck into the refuse stockpile, full of yeti remains. He was chased off, but the horde of yeti hair swarmed human and dwarf alike, bringing the fort to its knees for a second time.

Turns out it's not an excellent idea to have your refuse pile next to both your entrance drawbridge and your main stairwell.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #44674 on: December 19, 2015, 07:54:08 am »

I think i just witnessed the birth of a Dwarven Superhero !

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #44675 on: December 19, 2015, 08:03:25 am »

Suddenly out of nowhere, all my dwarves decide that it's a great idea to completely ignore all the food that needs to be put away. Excellent.

Yes, all the fields full of withering plants, the entire refuse pile full of masterwork apple roasts and rotting fish, because of you, dwarves.

I don't know what's going down here. The food stockpile isn't even full yet.

Did you accidentally turn off 'dwarves are allowed to haul food' in the (o)ptions menu?
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

WordsandChaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Words and Chaos blog
« Reply #44676 on: December 19, 2015, 11:10:42 am »

A bronze colossus turned up. The fortress is on the other side of a three way canyon with a hefty fall into a river below. We built a bridge over it. It's partially walled off, the middle open, the intent being that when it's finally filled with traps, the Goblins will begin hurling themselves over the edge. I've always imagined colossi as giant slow moving titans without much in the way of dexterity. Turns out I'm wrong. For some bizarre reason this colossus  took a look at the bridge and decided that walking over it wasn't good enough. It jumped from the eastern canyon edge, grabbed one pillar at the end of the wall, swung on to the middle of the bridge, before grabbing the pillar/wall on the west, and swinging over to the west bank. This colossus is like spiderman but 80 feet tall and bronze.

A fisherwoman wandering around at the top of the mountain charges at it. They have a fight at the cliff edge. The Fisherwoman dodges the colossus' blows, and swings back. It goes as well as you'd imagine: She does absolutely no damage. But she does manage to get the colossus to dodge backwards. The fisherwoman charges at it, it dodges, she flies past the colossus and over the edge, the colossus teeters and topples. She goes down into the canyon, knocked unconscious in the impact of the water. Drowns.  The colossus manages to grab the edge of the cliff and hauls itself back up. 

It chases the local wildlife, kills some animals, finds a crafter. She is locked out. She attacks the colossus. They have a long fight, but without weaponry and armour, it's only a matter of time before the inevitable. Eventually it hits her in the torso, mangles her. She flies through the air rolls along the ground. Then she gets back up. They go at it again. She dodges a lot of the attacks, but with her substantial injuries she's far slower. It hits her a second time. She flies through the air and slams into a tree and crumples to the ground. More catastrophic damage to the everything. She gets back up. They have a third round before it finally breaks enough of her bones to make her faint. A random crafter woman went three rounds bare knuckle with a bronze colossus. It crushes her.

A couple of days later a trio of dwarven bards comes over the hill. They don't do as well as the craftswoman.

Currently it's just strolling around the mountainside. We're banking on the possibility that it can be sniped from atop the fortified rooftop of the pub before it gets the idea to climb the walls. 
« Last Edit: December 19, 2015, 12:49:02 pm by WordsandChaos »

NESgamer190

• Bay Watcher
  • Crundle hugger
    • View Profile
« Reply #44677 on: December 19, 2015, 11:21:00 am »

A bronze colossus turned up. The fortress is on the other side of a three way canyon with a hefty fall into a river below. We built a bridge over it. It's partially walled off, the middle open, the intent being that when it's finally filled with traps, the Goblins will begin hurling themselves over the edge. I've always imagined colossi as giant slow moving titans without much in the way of dexterity. Turns out I'm wrong. For some bizarre reason this colossus  took a look at the bridge and decided that walking over it wasn't good enough. It jumped from the eastern canyon edge, grabbed one pillar at the end of the wall, swung on to the middle of the bridge, before grabbing the pillar/wall on the west, and swinging over to the west bank. This colossus is like spiderman but 80 feet tall and bronze.

A fisherwoman wandering around at the top of the mountain charges at it. They have a fight at the cliff edge. The Fisherwoman dodges the colossus' blows, and swings back. It goes as well as you'd imagine: She does absolutely no damage. But she does manage to get the colossus to dodge backwards. The fisherwoman charges at it, it dodges, she flies past the colossus and over the edge, the colossus teeters and topples. She goes down into the canyon, knocked unconscious in the impact of the water. Drowns.  The colossus manages to grab the edge of the cliff and hauls itself back up. 

It chases the local wildlife. Kills some animals. it finds a Crafter. She is locked out. She attacks the colossus. They have a long fight, but without weaponry and armour, it's only a matter of time before the inevitable. Eventually it hits her in the torso, mangles her. She flies through the air rolls along the ground. Then she gets back up. They go at it again. She dodges a lot of the attacks, but with her substantial injuries she's far slower. It hits her a second time. She flies through the air and slams into a tree and crumples to the ground. More catastrophic damage to the everything. She gets back up. They have a third round before it finally breaks enough of her bones to make her faint. A random crafter woman went three rounds bare knuckle with a bronze colossus. It crushes her.

A couple of days later a trio of Dwarven bards comes over the hill. They don't do as well as the craftswoman.

Currently it's just strolling around the mountainside. We're banking on the possibility that it can be sniped from atop the fortified rooftop of the pub before it gets the idea to climb the walls.
Yow!  That's one heck of a colossus.  Made me think this bronze colossus was a spidercolossus with all the acrobatics it did.

As for my fort, still getting flooded with visitors, to the point of getting more tavern rooms ready, and getting the mayor's quarters completely set up (which I had been preparing for on a gut feeling of "I think Mayor role's imminent with the odd influx of these visitors").  Hopefully, those that do wish to be citizens won't mind the fact this fort's going to be a universal hub for anyone to take up residence in (yep, includes goblins and elves.  Curse my altruism all ye want, but it is fortunate the goblins have not caused trouble yet).

Update:  Evidently, had to deal with a jackal forgotten beast with deadly blood.  I had decided to meet it head on at the mine entry to the fort, and the military has taken it down after the olm people were felled in the caves.  Unfortunately, casualties were had with the bronze armor (Bronze being a standard of armor for my military for now, until I really get into the steel work considering I want to train up the forge fellows for better equipment.  Four have fallen to Dak Tostralozasp Strabo Ngoso, a 3-eyed jackal with spindly antennae, belching and croaking habits, very curly teal hair, and deadly blood, which I hope isn't living up to its name, considering a human got out of the fight, only to die shortly after.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2015, 11:35:12 am by NESgamer190 »

Henry47

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44678 on: December 19, 2015, 11:37:48 am »

The rule of my recently appointed king was rather short
As he was a legendary marksdwarf, i had drafted him into a ranged squad. Then, a forgotten beast made of mud showed up. "Beware its poisonous vapours!". The last vaporous beast only caused short-lived, non-fatal numbness on the dwarf who fought it, so i was not too worried about the vapours. However i was still a bit worried about sending out my melee squads, fortunately as the beast was made out of mud, it should not be difficult for my high-level mark-dwarves to take it out at range.

Unfortunately, due to some oversight of the carven layout on my part, my markdwarves ended up fighting it in melee. They still managed to kill it with no one harmed, at first, but soon the marks-dwarves started to rot alive.
They made there way up to hospital, spewing miasma everywhere, my doctors did there best, but alas there was nothing that could be done and they all died a few days later. Fortunately it was not contagious.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #44679 on: December 19, 2015, 11:47:32 am »

In the 10 years I've been playing DF, the RNG has never, ever thrown me a dragon. Up till today.
Anticlimactic as it might be.....

I NOW HAS MY VERY FIRST CAGED DRAGON

EDIT: and a burning forest. I hope all those burned dead trees don't count towards my deal with the elves haha.

EDIT2: Hmm my moat is on fire. Which popped up an idea to my mind. Would it be possible to cover a moat floor in lignite or anything that burns really long, and ignite that to have a flaming moat that does not involve magma?
« Last Edit: December 19, 2015, 11:57:45 am by martinuzz »

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

NESgamer190

• Bay Watcher
  • Crundle hugger
    • View Profile
« Reply #44680 on: December 19, 2015, 11:57:58 am »

Entering the third year into my fort, and I just can not get a break it seems.  The fort's besieged by another forgotten beast.  Osman Ewomicuk, a 3-eyed crocodile with a pair of knobby antennae, a ravening attitude, burnt sienna scales that are small and overlapping, and more deadly blood.  Looks like I'm going to need more military to handle this if I want to access the caves.  For now, going to go the lock away the caves under my hatches strategy for now.  Kinda not with a huge need to delve into caves unless I have to.

Edit:  Scrap the lockdown.  Sealed the cave it was in off already.  Phew...  After the nightmare of the first beast, I wasn't ready to take on another monstrosity.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #44681 on: December 19, 2015, 12:52:43 pm »

NOOOOOO I lost my dragon.

After an hour of getting spammed by surface collapse pausing, the forest fire had almost finished burning.
I designated some burned trees for chopping.

Suddenly FPS dropped to 8, and then, crash to desktop. Ofcourse I didn't save yet since the dragon attack.
Crap.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44682 on: December 19, 2015, 01:27:23 pm »

While testing necromancer/tower sieges, a siege arrived with several dozen Undead and an elf necromancer.  Problem is... they're just hanging around the surface.   If I send civilian dwarves to the surface, the undead horde ignore them, even if the dwarves get close enough for an interruption event.

Earlier in the life of this fort, I had a normal siege, dispatched it, no problem.  But this one, for some reason, simply will not engage civilians as an enemy.  If I draft civilians into the military, and send them against the undead, the undead kill them, and then do nothing again.

Save-scumming, I had to sacrifice 20 dwarves (draft into military, attack horde) to get the undead to finally fight.  Opposed to life? Yeah, not so much.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #44683 on: December 19, 2015, 01:38:03 pm »

My second fort crumbled much faster than the first.

A fucking werepig turned up following a wave of migrants.

The werepig bit a dwarf or two and killed several other dwarves before its own death.

Massacres Hilarity ensues. Fort was abandoned in the hopes that the 2 remaining dwarves (1 was a werepig who had transformed back) could make it on their own without my help.

Welp, lesson learned, fun had. Also saw miasma in action for the first time. That stuff looks fucking evil.

TomIrony

• Bay Watcher
  • Blood, Stone and Ash
    • View Profile
« Reply #44684 on: December 19, 2015, 02:02:55 pm »

My fort's outside tavern called The Outrageous Tooth has attracted a human poet vampire.
Quote from: KodKod
Quote from: enizer
"unit list other: 248, all kobolds"
"Hunt them for sport.

The Least Dangerous Game."
Pages: 1 ... 2977 2978 [2979] 2980 2981 ... 3842