Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2975 2976 [2977] 2978 2979 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6091836 times)

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #44640 on: December 18, 2015, 10:19:58 am »

I decided to make a fortress with my modded race with it's primary purpose being the biggest and best tavern to ever exist.

I got 2 years in and realized I forgot to give them the ability to make booze. (yes I know I can fix that in the save file, but I don't know how I didn't notice earlier)
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #44641 on: December 18, 2015, 11:31:50 am »

Established a new fort. Hopefully the soil will be good enough to actually grow something. Lots of plants and trees to gather or cut down for wood and food, so that's good.

I think this is gonna be great! For a while.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #44642 on: December 18, 2015, 12:02:56 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Seeing how much damage this combat skill-less dwarf does with a crappy wooden cup (while hanging from a wall), I might want to appoint a different hammerer. Ah yes.. 'very strong' in her profile.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

NESgamer190

• Bay Watcher
  • Crundle hugger
    • View Profile
« Reply #44643 on: December 18, 2015, 12:12:24 pm »

As for my fort, two years of having no liasion is starting to take its toll on my sanity, worrying that I won't be able to request anything.  On the other hand, been getting quite a few humans, and a goblin who sought to be residents.  Being the altruistic fellow, I accepted them into the fort. (No elves, if only due to a lack of them.)  Also still setting up the fortress' two-door system to let merchants through the safe way, while sending invasions down the weapon/cage path.  I might very well need extra rooms at the rate I'm going for more than just the dwarves.

SpiritArmor

• Bay Watcher
  • Your curiosity will be the death of you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44644 on: December 18, 2015, 12:57:44 pm »

I'm on the fourth year of my fort in the newest version. Sizzledbanners is lucky enough to live on a silver-rich embark site that turned out to have a magma pool on the first cavern layer, easily-accessible water on the second layer, and, apparently, an outcropping of adamantine in the third layer.

One legendary metalcrafter but no good weapon/armorsmiths yet- not that I need arms and armor, since the one goblin siege chewed up half my pastured livestock before fleeing for the hills (heck, the small horde of aggressive Giant Capybaras was more deadly).

I'm not prone to experimenting in my forts (or simply never had the resources or time), so I'm currently taking advantage of this easy embark to FINALLY take a crash course in minecart/minetrack/hauling routes. No literal crashing has occurred yet, but it's only a matter of time. Next on the list is pumping water up multiple z-levels, along with lava.

I figure one of the three things I'm trying to learn will end my fort, and if that fails, there's always the adamantine. Wish me luck!

NESgamer190

• Bay Watcher
  • Crundle hugger
    • View Profile
« Reply #44645 on: December 18, 2015, 01:02:54 pm »

Best of luck on the learning!  May there be fun in both varieties!

Also as a fort update:  The visitors have started to flood in, and that alone had warranted me to go to work on extra tavern rooms.  Getting quite a few soldiers from these visitors looking to be mercenaries.  Liking that prospect, but alas, gotta have at least one dwarven soldier.

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44646 on: December 18, 2015, 01:41:30 pm »

Thinking seriously of building a public tavern outside/aboveground and turning the one below to "Citizens/long term residents only" because I'm really getting tired of visitors wandering my hallways.  Despite the fact that the tavern/temple/library complex is on its own level just below the farms, and well above the dwarf-only part of the fort, I keep finding random humans (and elves!) strolling around the residential halls or perambulating through the magma forges.
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

taptap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44647 on: December 18, 2015, 02:00:33 pm »

I finally settled for a simple cave spider silk farm. Old mine, upramp with hatch, loom assigned to cave spider dizzy weaver. Even a relatively small number (two dozen) cave spiders keeps the weaver busy and produces a steady stream of silk. So far no cave spider has been lost and no falcon made it into that area. Simplicity is bliss. (For uppity dwarves forgotten beast and giant cave spider silk is on offer as well.)

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #44648 on: December 18, 2015, 02:03:12 pm »

Already, we've got our first fatalities! Only a single year has passed, too.

A werepig turned up and mauled several migrants, including a child. However, we were able to take it down eventually.

sv-esk

• Bay Watcher
  • sorry for my bad english
    • View Profile
« Reply #44649 on: December 18, 2015, 02:16:51 pm »

Code: [Select]
[NAME:flame demon:flame demons:flame demonic]
[DESCRIPTION:A great serpent composed of flame.  It has wings and it has a bloated body.]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:FLAME:FLAME_TEMPLATE]
[MAT_FIXED_TEMP:25000]
[TISSUE:UNIFORM_TIS]
[TISSUE_NAME:tissue:NP]
[TISSUE_MATERIAL:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:FLAME]
[TISSUE_MAT_STATE:GAS]
[MUSCULAR]
[FUNCTIONAL]
[STRUCTURAL]
[RELATIVE_THICKNESS:1]
[CONNECTS]
[TISSUE_SHAPE:LAYER]
It melted +granite mechanisms+ by staying nearby and thus deconstructed the bridge. Then they showed up in the tavern. That was big surprise.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #44650 on: December 18, 2015, 04:07:28 pm »

I had just sold off a crapton of bracelets to the caravan. Bracelets. My Duchess loves them. And consequently most of the time a caravan comes along, they are banned from export.

But today the ban wasn't in place when the dwarven caravan arrived, so I sold 5 years worth of mandate leftovers to it, even though I knew, or at least thought I knew there was a risk to it.

The caravan hadn't left yet, and then the export ban came back in place.

I was like 'oh crap', remebering from earlier versions that that would mean punishment the moment the goods left the map, despite them being handed over to the caravan while there was no export ban.

But lo and behold! Toady fixed that. The traders left the map with the bracelets, and not a single dwarf showed up in the justice screen.
Awesome! Finally I can safely get rid of that clutter.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44651 on: December 18, 2015, 04:41:58 pm »

My dwarfs keep picking fights with each other.  Its funny, but I think I need to build a hospital soon.   :P
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44652 on: December 18, 2015, 04:47:32 pm »

Screwed up the magma on the last fort so I started a new one, Abbeycopper. I was attacked by a cyclops, then an ettin. Both were quickly killed by a miner and a fisherdwarf who was carrying an ax because she had woodcutting enabled. Then about 11 goblins with bows and crossbows showed up; though we took one or two casualties, 8 goblins will slain by bare dwarven hands. Then came a siege 95-strong, composed of goblins with various weapon, beak dogs and trolls. This time, I decided to use a civilian alert and let the traps handle them. My trapline is not complete yet, but has over a hundred loaded stonefall traps. So I watch now as the filthy gobbos and their allies foolishly wade right into my traps, and now that 25 of them have perished, guess what just happened?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The best part of this is that it's only year 2 of this fort. I haven't engraved a single wall or floor yet. I don't even have bedrooms or dining rooms set up yet! I have one temple, and it's just dirt! But when I cast that obsidian block and mine my bedrooms, dining halls, offices, throne rooms, temples and tavern from it, I have it all smoothed and engraved. And they will not be engravings of the slaughter of domestic animals, no! They will be scenes of my enemies who slaughtered right here at Abbeycopper!
Insert_Gnome_Here has claimed a computer terminal!

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44653 on: December 18, 2015, 04:51:15 pm »

A giant toad has come up from the caverns and went into the barracks where all the children are playing!  Oh no!!!!!

Except instead of the normally expected result the children beat the Giant Toad into unconsciousness and are now playing make believe around it's unconscious body stopping to kick it back to sleep every so often.

I want to send in the miners to finish the thing off to keep it from getting lucky, but at the same time the kids seem to be having so much fun and I don't wanna take away their toy.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #44654 on: December 18, 2015, 05:06:00 pm »

Found that no one was drinking in the tavern. Found that there needed to be a stockpile with booze literally inside the tavern. with that done, now I'm watching my tavernkeeper serve drinks. She hates her job, she's very distracted from not being able to craft anything or do anything besides serve drinks and hang around the tavern. She has lots of bad thoughts and she constantly has tears in her eyes. Maybe I should find a replacement.

A human baron consort petitioned to stay as a performer. I'm watching her stumble around after drinking too much booze. She puked on the smoothed cavern floor. And the tables. And the chairs. But a farmer is cleaning it all up.

So many little interactions between dwarves now.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.
Pages: 1 ... 2975 2976 [2977] 2978 2979 ... 3842