Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2973 2974 [2975] 2976 2977 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6091912 times)

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #44610 on: December 16, 2015, 10:42:09 pm »

Spring has arrived, it's the second year of the fort of Flewhammers.

And with the end of the cold winter and the break of a bright green season of life comes a siege of undead. Greeat. Turns out undead can in fact climb over walls. Also they can run. Watching a horde of dead sprint after wildlife is terrifying. Managed to wall the fort off in an underground chokepoint with only some livestock as casualties. Because of the seige there will be no caravans or migrants, which I really could've used.

Now I have to arm and train a fighting force out of my 20 unblooded untrained dwarves to try and repel the dead. Not sure if there's necromancers. The undead killed some yaks that haven't risen from the dead yet. Think I'll focus on axes; reducing the undead to unmoving non-dangerous severed limbs seems the best way to survive this, assuming there's no necromancers.

This will be fun.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44611 on: December 16, 2015, 10:51:21 pm »

Arm the mightiest with blunt weapons. A corpse with even a mangled hand cannot be risen, whereas one whose's mangled hand was cut off and the rest is unmangled, can be risen.

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44612 on: December 16, 2015, 11:07:37 pm »

You're both thinking about this entirely the wrong way. What you really need is TRAPS.
Insert_Gnome_Here has claimed a computer terminal!

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #44613 on: December 16, 2015, 11:17:32 pm »

Quote from: Glazecoast
The goblins don't fall for it. I guess they've already faced down the age-old dwarven trick of "let's you and this cuisinart fight".
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

RickRollYou2

• Bay Watcher
  • [START_BIOME:EARTH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #44614 on: December 16, 2015, 11:18:01 pm »

Tragedy! Werecamel early in the second year--two dwarves and the entire herd of grazing animals outside are slaughtered before they can escape.

Within the stone walls of the fortress hospital, three more dwarves languish in the aftermath of the attack... and feel something changing inside them.

The fortress descends into chaos. Three enraged, rampaging beasts break down the door of the containment area, then proceed to slaughter and convert all in their path. Workshops are trashed and hauled items flung aside in the population's headlong flight to safety. Four dwarves die where they stand, barely putting up a fight. Two more rise later as creatures of the night. The rest are picked off one by one as they scramble for the nearest exit. 12 dwarves lie dead or dying, and 4 more have been infected.

The local militia and visiting warriors make a brave final stand in the beer-swamped halls of the great tavern, but are sadly overwhelmed by the mass of werecreatures clamouring for noble dwarf blood. The warriors with silver weapons manage to end the curse for 3 werecamels, but are slaughtered in the face of their inhuman (indwarven?) strength.

A solitary dwarf is still alive--he was asleep in his bedroom, and did not hear the noise of battle outside. Perhaps he can rebuild this fortress single-handedly.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #44615 on: December 16, 2015, 11:19:46 pm »

You're both thinking about this entirely the wrong way. What you really need is TRAPS.
...why not both? Great scott it's brilliant.

Despite the siege, I keep getting visitors. None of them have made a dent in the (un)dead, but none of their corpses have risen either. An orc bard who was visiting got antsy and was running around the fort, so I tore down the wall and let him loose. He ran up to the walled in cortyard, aggro'd a couple of zombies, ran back down only to find the fort walled him out. He played "ring around the zombies" for a while until he finally tried climbing the wall, at which point an undead archer shot him in the leg. Then another corpse crawled up onto the wall and finished him off. With his death, more visitors began to show up.

One of the more recent visitors seems to be legendary. Or, was. He was a human pikeman. He lasted a few attacks against a single orc spearman before he got rekt. His corpse blinks. Whether he was a legendary warrior or a legendary idiot, he's dead meat now.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44616 on: December 17, 2015, 11:50:39 am »

My fort isn't in a state to show off yet, but you'll all be happy to know that I've found my ideal embark. Also, the elves just brought me a giant recluse spider! Now, to figure out a silk farm.....

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #44617 on: December 17, 2015, 01:50:56 pm »

My first temple of 0.42.xx has been set up. 6 of the 14 dwarves in the young fortress worship Aran, making worshipers of Aran a majority and giving his temple priority. Also the first stone statue produced was a statue of Aran, made by one of the founding masons who is an ardent worshipper of Aran. The statue makes the founding of Aran's temple especially convenient. The name of Aran's temple was generated as "The Rapid Cathedral".

But who is this Aran? Aran is depicted as a skeletal dwarf and is the god of war, death, and fortresses. Brütal.

Sounds like a good god for a community fort. Oi, this just reminded me: I haven't checked the community fort subforum in over a year. What have I been doing with my life ?!?

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44618 on: December 17, 2015, 01:57:17 pm »

Hunter is hunting.
Hunter kills weasel for food.
Hunter brings weasel directly to butcher workshop, cause he's awesome that way.
Butcher removes weasel from butcher shop, and places weasel into corpse stockpile.

I can imagine the Butcher:
"What the hell dude?  A weasel?  Seriously? 
You just brought me a Giant Kangaroo, buddy, and now you interrupt my drinking for a stinkin' weasel?  Here's what I think of your weasel!"
<Butcher kicks weasel onto corpse pile with contempt, and goes back to drinking>

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44619 on: December 17, 2015, 02:58:18 pm »

A roc came by, and now my dwarfs don't want to butcher its corpse. What do?

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #44620 on: December 17, 2015, 03:01:02 pm »

Lock away, use for bones?
One wheel short of a wagon

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44621 on: December 17, 2015, 03:02:47 pm »

Whelp, the corpse is already rotten. Better wait for it to rot completely so I can use the bones.

nekoexmachina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44622 on: December 17, 2015, 07:39:21 pm »

Posting this from chuck.dfwk.ru (russian dwarf fortress forum):

This is not my fort. Original author description:

"
This ear-bearing ass warped to my trade depot out of nowhere, deconstructed it and vanished to the other end of the map, leaving no trace. Not exactly sure what has happend here.
"
Whenever i read the "doesn't care about anything anymore" line, i instantly imagine a dwarf, sitting alone on a swing set. Just slowly rocking back and forth, somberly staring at the ground, and stopping every once in a while to sigh.
It's mildly depressing.

Pirate Santa

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_EATER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #44623 on: December 17, 2015, 07:48:39 pm »

My terrifying embark has been pretty disappointing so far, all it does is rain acrid goo the makes people depressed.
Then a werelizard showed up at the start of our first winter.
The drawbridges aren't hooked up.
The trap corridor isn't ready.
I have no militia.
And the hospital is still being dug out.
Time for some FUN!

In the end i got off light, only one dwarf died with 2 more bit.
Frantically preparing isolation chambers to seal them in.

The fight was won when the lizard turned back into a dingo woman and got beaten to death by half a dozen barehanded dwarves and some wardogs.
The killing blow was a dog severing an artery in her head.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 08:17:36 pm by Pirate Santa »
Welcome to Dwarf Fortress. Where peaceful death of old age is something nobody sees coming.
it turns out Dog Bone Doctors aren't very good at doctoring.

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44624 on: December 17, 2015, 08:34:34 pm »

Posting this from chuck.dfwk.ru (russian dwarf fortress forum):

This is not my fort. Original author description:

"
This ear-bearing ass warped to my trade depot out of nowhere, deconstructed it and vanished to the other end of the map, leaving no trace. Not exactly sure what has happend here.
"
The Elf's a werebeast. When he arrived he was in Elf-form, so he got announced as an Elf.

He must have transformed before he got to the Depot, did the building destroyer thing, and then either switched back or got bored and decided to leave.
Pages: 1 ... 2973 2974 [2975] 2976 2977 ... 3842