Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2962 2963 [2964] 2965 2966 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6092450 times)

thriggle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #44445 on: December 11, 2015, 11:19:29 am »

Okay, now I got a visit not from a poet, not from a bard, not from a dancer or musician... but from a slave.

And this elf slave has petitioned to join Lordknife for the purpose of entertaining citizens and visitors.

How can I say no to that?

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44446 on: December 11, 2015, 11:20:53 am »

That was fixed in either 42.02 or 42.03, I believe.
I think it was supposed to be fixed in 42.02 but I got a human bowman vampire nonetheless.

Ysyua

• Bay Watcher
  • .- ... - .-. ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #44447 on: December 11, 2015, 11:40:47 am »

That was fixed in either 42.02 or 42.03, I believe.
I think it was supposed to be fixed in 42.02 but I got a human bowman vampire nonetheless.

Was this in a fort you started in 42.01 or .02? Might be worth reopening the issue if it's still happening.
Quote from: Ysyua
I had a trog give birth while scaling a wall. Just before one of my crossdorfs loosed a bolt at her. The trog baby drowned.
They said the walls were impregnable. You didn't have to prove me wrong by giving birth on them.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #44448 on: December 11, 2015, 12:17:02 pm »

I had a human vampire guest in .02 so it isn't fixed yet.

thriggle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44449 on: December 11, 2015, 12:32:49 pm »

Update on the potential of a necromancer tower fortress:

My milita squad containing a single necromancer discovered a tragic truth today when they were issued orders to kill some wild boars.

It appears that necromancers will raise zombies from nearby corpses only if there is an enemy within their line of sight. Additionally, the zombies will immediately attack the necromancers. Sad times. It seems like my necromancer military will be more effective as marksdwarves.

In other news, the necromancer dwarves are all starting to get a little unfocused due to going so long without good food or drink. And the necromancy infection has ceased to spread because dwarves failed to return the three books containing the secrets of life and death to the library; they're just scattered about, lying uncared for on the floor of the fortress. I'm all out of wood, or I'd build some more book cases; my guess is that the books aren't being returned because the library is at capacity with the 57 books plundered from the tower.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44450 on: December 11, 2015, 12:54:06 pm »

You can make the book cases out of other material I think.

thriggle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44451 on: December 11, 2015, 12:56:35 pm »

You can make the book cases out of other material I think.
Oh, you're right! They were buried under the "Rock" heading of the craftdwarf's shop, which is a little odd, since wooden ones can't be made under the "Wood" heading, but rather from the Carpenter's shop...

FoiledFencer

• Bay Watcher
  • keepin' it feudal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44452 on: December 11, 2015, 01:37:22 pm »

The "Caves are dangerous" burrow was briefly raised to facilitate cage-trapping and my legendary clothier instantly got into an altercation with a giant bat which stole his cloak and then exploded his throat with it... so, yeah.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

A scholar also produced his second great work! "Dreams of the Dwarf", which is... an essay concerning the making of his first work "A Course on the Dwarf". Which was an autobiography.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 01:50:04 pm by FoiledFencer »
"Lithrushâst Kúdlizat: Fetidfur, the slick notch, a grizzly bear leather loincloth. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is studded with zinc, decorated with grizzly bear leather and encircled with bands of grizzly bear leather. This object menaces with spikes of grizzly bear leather."

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #44453 on: December 11, 2015, 02:03:29 pm »

Apparently, none of my dwarves are suitable cat owners. After 3 years of being uninterested, one of my embark cats adopted a (petitioned) human bard.

EDIT: Also, those rhesus macaques on my map are not the brightest of their kind. They are stealing stone blocks instead of tasty fruits.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 02:07:04 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Ysyua

• Bay Watcher
  • .- ... - .-. ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #44454 on: December 11, 2015, 02:11:19 pm »

Apparently, none of my dwarves are suitable cat owners. After 3 years of being uninterested, one of my embark cats adopted a (petitioned) human bard.

EDIT: Also, those rhesus macaques on my map are not the brightest of their kind. They are stealing stone blocks instead of tasty fruits.

That's what you think.

Meanwhile in the Jungles of Pleating: The macaque fortress Tailsplinters is an impressive monolith. Its halls are filled with spoiled plunder and constructed with the stolen blocks of 31 different civilizations.
Quote from: Ysyua
I had a trog give birth while scaling a wall. Just before one of my crossdorfs loosed a bolt at her. The trog baby drowned.
They said the walls were impregnable. You didn't have to prove me wrong by giving birth on them.

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44455 on: December 11, 2015, 02:33:38 pm »

Genned a new world where the dwarves were conquered in the year 65, world-gen ended on 400 and now the only civilizations left are the humans that wiped everyone out and a goblin civ that's on another continent. From what I can tell, the "Union of Armor" is directly responsible for the destruction of the only dwarves, a goblin civ, the only elves and another human civ; no doubt they'd have gotten the other goblins too if only they could sail. Pretty much all of the books in Legends mode are written "with a hint of viciousness" so I can only imagine that these humans are far more goblin-ny than actual goblins.

Anyway, I started a new embark and proceeded to take a year channeling and smoothing a massive ramp into the fortress entrance until a king got elected. Then his wife got a weaponsmithing mood so now I'm scrambling to get their rooms set up while managing her currently impossible mood.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 02:42:49 pm by LMeire »
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

EuphoriaToRegret

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUNDANE]
    • View Profile
    • My Newgrounds Art
« Reply #44456 on: December 11, 2015, 02:43:07 pm »

Four of the fortresses I've possessed have been attacked by numerous werebeasts... all camels.

In the newest fortress, a migrant dwarf from Torchsmoke (the third fortress) who had been infected with the curse, decided to show up.
I'm not so concerned as to a ticking werebeast bomb showing up as I am to the fact that I had locked that particular dwarf behind a stone wall to forever be forced to do bookkeeping.

Do dwarves in retired fortresses dig on their own?
Or is it just that dwarves will go through migrant waves even if they possess no possible way of reaching your fort?

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #44457 on: December 11, 2015, 03:10:32 pm »

Four of the fortresses I've possessed have been attacked by numerous werebeasts... all camels.

In the newest fortress, a migrant dwarf from Torchsmoke (the third fortress) who had been infected with the curse, decided to show up.
I'm not so concerned as to a ticking werebeast bomb showing up as I am to the fact that I had locked that particular dwarf behind a stone wall to forever be forced to do bookkeeping.

Do dwarves in retired fortresses dig on their own?
Or is it just that dwarves will go through migrant waves even if they possess no possible way of reaching your fort?
He convinced them to let him out.
One wheel short of a wagon

nekoexmachina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44458 on: December 11, 2015, 03:26:58 pm »

I have quite a lot of people meditating on 'Suicide'. :>
Whenever i read the "doesn't care about anything anymore" line, i instantly imagine a dwarf, sitting alone on a swing set. Just slowly rocking back and forth, somberly staring at the ground, and stopping every once in a while to sigh.
It's mildly depressing.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #44459 on: December 11, 2015, 05:39:31 pm »

Fact one: If a dwarf carries an object long enough, they will own it, and therefore not put it down.
Fact two: Werebeasts like to wrestle objects away from their owners.

I now have a leatherworker and a werellama dueling with beer pots outside the fort.
Pages: 1 ... 2962 2963 [2964] 2965 2966 ... 3842