Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2935 2936 [2937] 2938 2939 ... 3839

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5969814 times)

Potato9999

• Bay Watcher
  • Highly racist against goblins
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #44040 on: November 30, 2015, 06:34:15 pm »

Lock him up and watch him! If he gets hungry or thirsty, let him out and smooth/engrave his bedroom for the time spent sitting in a room. Otherwise...

Vampire Bookkeeper? Super-Soldier? Save-the-Fortress-in-case-Goblins-or-Zombies-or-Megabeasts-Kill-Everyone-Else-but-the-Vampire-Stuck-in-a-Tiny-Room Device?

I mean, I was just gonna kill him and build a memorial, but I suppose Urist McBloodsucker could be used as an immortal dwarf accountant.

While I build the room, what's a good way to keep him away from the other dwarves?
« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 06:37:58 pm by Potato9999 »

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #44041 on: November 30, 2015, 07:03:57 pm »

I got bored of Anamnil, so I was looking for a way to get out. Clothes were getting tattered and the carpenter got eaten by a giant dingo, so I ended up selling all the animals to the next dwarven caravan and abandoning.

It was fun, but I'm probably not going to do it again.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #44042 on: November 30, 2015, 07:33:36 pm »

The first murder in my humble fort of Criedworked has been accompanied by the first discovery of a vampire. After a child was discovered sucked dry, I went through the bios of every single dwarf to find the vampire. I've discovered the fortress' first night creature:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

-Horrified after seeing the victim die, when the only other people to have seen her dead were her parents when they walked into the room and saw the body?

-Going through his skills, I found he was skilled in fifteen different things (eight of which he was Great at)

-A former member of three different kingdoms, AND a former commander of one of them? Sounds like he's a lot older than he claims to be.

-Vampires do not eat, drink, or sleep, and this guy has absolutely no thoughts whatsoever about bedrooms, dining halls, or meals.

"Starting to work slowly due to scarcity of alcohol"

-I have over a dozen barrels of apricot wine and he's telling me alcohol is scarce? Vampires can not and will not drink anything other than blood, but as dwarves, they're still dependent on alcohol, leading to this interesting little phenomenon.

-Going through his relationships list, he is related to absolutely nobody. He has one passing acquaintance and two "Friendly Terms", but no family whatsoever.
Feel free to copy the img tags I used there in the spoiler, you can also do something like [img width=450] to make it smaller for a visible thumbnail and clickable for fullsize.

blapnk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44043 on: November 30, 2015, 07:49:13 pm »

Chose myself a hunter. Now it may be true in some forts the Hunter is a highly respected position bringing in food and materials for an early fort. In this fort my hunter is a glorified pest controller recruited to remove some pesky flying creatures outside of the safety of the fortress walls. I'm looking for expendable. I nickname my chosen recruit "toad". After his most hated vermin. I like to think the nickname came first and the sight of his namesake throws him into a rage as he remembers the humiliations heaped upon him.

Not long after I get the crossbow, quiver, and ammunition produced, Toad gets a strange mood and crafts a gem flask, becoming a legendary gem setter. Gem setting isn't that useful to me, but it puts him slightly ahead of all the rest of the Urist McNobodies loitering around my statue garden. I will find another dwarf to take care of those goddamn bats for me.

MobRules

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44044 on: November 30, 2015, 08:20:45 pm »

... How have your Dwarves not frozen to death? Physiological differences?
Just have to get them underground, where it's a nice and toasty 10015'U. If you leave them on the surface, they will get frostbite and die, but it takes a few in-game days, which is plenty of time to get underground.

I'm not sure why many/most/some of the invaders arrive dead though, that's a new one to me.

I think that if they should die en-route, the game doesn't mark them as dead until they've arrived (I seem to remember some posts about people arriving without heads and dying as soon as they walked onto the map, due to a fight they got in on the way that they didn't fare so well in).
Ninja dragons! Protect the masterwork roasts!
Is this biome reanimating? I really don't want to know what happens when "absurd numbers of megabeasts" is combined with "reanimating biomes".

Daris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44045 on: November 30, 2015, 08:21:08 pm »

While I build the room, what's a good way to keep him away from the other dwarves?

Send him into a room and forbid the door behind him.  A fast way to get him to go where you want is to draft him into a squad of 1 and order him to station in the lockable room.  Vampires are not building destroyers, so a forbidden door is all it takes.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #44046 on: December 01, 2015, 04:07:51 am »

I always build my levers in a single room off the main dining room. When I get a vampire I wall him in there. Fast lever pulling all year 'round!
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #44047 on: December 01, 2015, 05:48:22 am »

Unless he somehow goes crazy. Fast pulling of all the levers.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #44048 on: December 01, 2015, 07:42:38 am »

He's never gone crazy. I don't know if it's possible. All my vampires become lever pullers or slave-accountants. Or spice in the water supply, hehe.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Shurikane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shurikane.com
« Reply #44049 on: December 01, 2015, 11:54:10 am »

Though... this would be an idea: take a vampire, seal him in a room completely full of levers of all sorts, and purposely drive him insane.  Your form becomes a chaotic, infernal machine!

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44050 on: December 01, 2015, 03:55:11 pm »

And so it begins. Settled a forested area that looks promising so far with clay and sand available, though that isn't special. Arrived with a macedwarf and some hounds for defense. At last, my pointless public space constructions will be brought to fruition with actual use!

Mission objectives
- Establish a unit or units of nondwarven soldiery in new settlement. Applicants need ability to wield halberds or greatswords.
- Export at least ten bins of non-pig tail cloth - preferably hemp or flax for objective below.
- Get sieged properly by not-zombies.
- Build temple for at least three gods.
- Find a good utilitarian crop and acquire large quantities of necessities from it in some fashion.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #44051 on: December 01, 2015, 04:01:09 pm »

Quickly setup my first 42.01 fortress basics inside of a hill :

- quantum stockpile with its minecart stop trick
- bunch of workshops for early production use
- food stockpile (i like it separated from the quantum stockpile)
- farm
- trade depot so i don't forget about it for when the 1st merchants caravan will come so i can seize everything they have , or trade if they're dwarves

So far so good, i'm waiting for my migrant waves to start form my military, as in case invaders are finally fixed and going to come, i need some fighting power as soon as possible, considering i embarked right next to a dark fortress and my civ was at war with the gobs at the start .

« Last Edit: December 01, 2015, 04:03:06 pm by Robsoie »

Shurikane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shurikane.com
« Reply #44052 on: December 01, 2015, 04:28:23 pm »

The human traders came.

I went to the bathroom, left the game running meanwhile.  Came back.

...The entire caravan's obliterated.  Dead merchants, dead animals, merchandise strewn around various parts of the exterior.

The only hint I got is a yak that's running around in panic because it's on fire.

I have NO IDEA what the hell happened.

Oh well.  Free loot!  :D

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #44053 on: December 01, 2015, 04:34:23 pm »

The human traders came.

I went to the bathroom, left the game running meanwhile.  Came back.

...The entire caravan's obliterated.  Dead merchants, dead animals, merchandise strewn around various parts of the exterior.

The only hint I got is a yak that's running around in panic because it's on fire.

I have NO IDEA what the hell happened.

Oh well.  Free loot!  :D

Yeah that sounds like everyday in DF :D
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

FortunaDraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44054 on: December 01, 2015, 04:43:18 pm »

Awwww yeah new version time. Thank goodness for those awesome people who make graphics packs! Now to plaaaay~

Also my old fort has two FBs in it that are strangely enough both bristleworms with poisoness X (one is a bite, the other is a breath). RNG is weird.
I just had a "lord consort" visit and decide to stay. Preparing for Trojan war reenactment.
Protip: statues cannot be made out of wood unless they're artifacts. If you see what appears to be a wooden statue outside your fort and it's not an artifact, destroy it immediately.
Pages: 1 ... 2935 2936 [2937] 2938 2939 ... 3839