Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2932 2933 [2934] 2935 2936 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6120333 times)

FortunaDraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #43995 on: November 27, 2015, 04:51:31 am »

...well I was waiting for my two cave crocs to lay their eggs so I could end up with the 20-30 eggs a piece and have tiny crocodiles everywhere. Then one of my girls went and decided to lay SIXTY EGGS. I don't even. I'm going to have 94 with the 34 extras from the other girl. This is nuts.

I'm going to need a bigger pasture for the babies @_@
I just had a "lord consort" visit and decide to stay. Preparing for Trojan war reenactment.
Protip: statues cannot be made out of wood unless they're artifacts. If you see what appears to be a wooden statue outside your fort and it's not an artifact, destroy it immediately.

Henry47

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43996 on: November 27, 2015, 08:10:03 am »

A forgotten beast showed up at my fortress
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
In the past two attacks by webbed forgotten beasts, they had wiped out my military before proceeding to kill dozens of civilians. I thought this time i knew better. I was wrong.

I ordered the entrances from that carven to my fought to be walled off, and i stationed legendary military squads to areas at the bottom and top of the shaft of stairs that passed though that carven. Unfortunately there was a third entrance to my broader fort i had forgotten about, and this was where the forgotten beast pathed into my fort. I had a Squad of Legendary Swordsdwarves in the vicinity, so i ordered them to attack the beast in the narrow corridor it was pathing though.   
This did not end well.

The forgotten beast then killed several civilians in the area before heading down the stairs, where it was met by a handful of Axe Lords. Since they were able to attack it all at once rather than one at a time, it was unable to web them all before it was hacked to death.

This attack was ultimately less deadly than previous attacks by webbed forgotten beasts, killing "only" 20 dwarves. But a far larger portion of those were high level military dwarfs, so in some ways the loss was far greater.

I have learned some important lessons from this attack. Never engage any forgotten beasts or titans with webs in melee combat, instead kill them with marksdwarves if your geography and military formation allow this(My marksdwarves were being reorganized at the time and did not have there weapons on them, so i was forced to fight melee), and if not or they are made of a hard material don't try and fight, just wall them off. If for some reason you are forced to fight these monsters in close combat, don't under any circumstances fight in a narrow corridor, as the monster will web and kill your dwarves one by one without taking a scratch. Instead have your military surround the top or bottom of a staircase, as this will prevent the beast from releasing webs until it is already surrounded by many dwarves in all directions, preventing it from webbing them all and allowing your military to kill it(this being what eventually happened in my case)

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #43997 on: November 27, 2015, 09:58:27 am »

Option 3: drop a block of stone on top of it. I fear nothing but webbers.

Daris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43998 on: November 27, 2015, 10:24:30 am »

Option 4: a hallway lined with steel upright spikes linked to a repeater, with optional magma injection.

Henry47

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43999 on: November 27, 2015, 10:33:38 am »

Those options are indeed highly preferable, and far more dwarfy. Alas, i had not had the foresight to build such a device, fortunately it is almost always possible to improve ones fortress(though i don't think this fortress is going to last much longer)

Daris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44000 on: November 27, 2015, 01:29:43 pm »

Year 66.  Population 217.  The game crashes fairly often these days.  I am now on my third attempt at disposing of the goblins caged during the most recent siege, because the game keeps frickin' crashing mid-way through the process.  It also frequently crashes immediately after I have saved the game and then continued playing.  This is very vexing, as the most obvious defense against loss of progress is frequent saving, and now I must exit the game and restart it before resuming play to avoid this crash.  Fortunately seasonal autosaves do not trigger it, but it makes me not want to save because saving has become such a hassle, which means that I lose even more progress when a mystery crash strikes.  I guess it's a good thing DFHack exists and that quicksave is a thing, because otherwise I don't know how much patience I would have for this state of affairs.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #44001 on: November 28, 2015, 09:33:30 am »

One of the fort's many children, a massacre witness, spends all her time going to her mum's office and yelling at her. Her mum is the mayor, of course, but it's still pretty funny.

In other news, I've designed the mayor's quarters in a "tower defence" style: everyone has to go past as many of her nice things as possible to get to her. It's not opimized, and doesn't seem to work, but oh well.

Also, I just ordered the construction of a few more gem windows in "my" (where ever the hell "carnalfences" is's, dodgy weirdoes) baron's tomb, and suddenly it turned into a servant's tomb. Could be because I reduced it to a 4 tile enclosure, but it seems to still be the same size... weird.

EDIT: just had my 4th artifact this fort, the second sceptre, the others being an amulet and a bone warhammer. But I don't mind, as it has an image of the founding of our fortress on it :3
« Last Edit: November 28, 2015, 09:35:44 am by NJW2000 »
One wheel short of a wagon

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44002 on: November 28, 2015, 10:26:38 am »

Doublepost because dwarfy.

Well, what is going on in my fort? An army of armed and armoured undead warriors (around 35) lead by a pair of necromancers is advancing on our fort, and are about 40 metres from the entrance gate. The mayor insists on being the only one to pull the "shut the fort" lever in the lever room and hasn't left her office yet, the civilians are milling about and scrambling for the burrows, the necromancers are heading for the refuse and corpse stockpile, the military are waiting in the barbican and main ground, for some totally reasonable goddamn reason the elven diplomat whose men I killed a few seasons ago is here trying to conduct a meeting. The baron wants to conduct a meeting with the mayor, and the captain of the guard is going to beat up a random fisherdwarf who's extremely happy about having her punishment reduced and delayed, despite the fact that her head will be crushed to a pulp with a bronze war hammer a few hours before everyone she knows is killed by zombies.

Oh, and for some reason, the call, "Intruders! Drive them away" went up a few minutes ago, despite the fact that the necromancers are leading half their goddamn army, and the only other foreign presence, aside from the idiotic elven(?) diplomat is a herd of deer. The mayor is wondering if she minds the lack of punishment, and the guy in the lever room simply refuses to pull any of the 5 levers that will save everyone inside.

Oh, and both the mayor and the exiled baron have a foot fetish. One's into leggings, the other boots.

FAKEDIT: now we have a bridge up that will stop everyone dying for a few minutes. But only a few. The other levers are uninteresting, apparently. And the elven dimplomat is on the battlements. There are 41 zombies, against a militia of 9. And the end of the army is not yet in sight. Praise bloody Armok.

EDIT#2They're getting in pretty slowly. Undead are thick, and would haveta turn a corner to enter, so only one came in, attacked the elven dimplomat and was mobbed. Most of the levers have now been pulled, resulting in a bit of atom smashing. Things are looking interesting.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2015, 10:37:25 am by NJW2000 »

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44003 on: November 28, 2015, 12:37:06 pm »

NJW2000 you have inspired me to create a museum. Starting now, I will create statues depicting the history of my civilization. Dwarves will be made to path past as much as possible before getting to the meeting room on the other side.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44004 on: November 28, 2015, 12:52:20 pm »

I've never seen this before.. (a goblin killing a goblin during a siege)

Shasarushil, "The Frightful Ice"
Engraved on the floor is an exceptionally designed  image of Atu Wraithlizards the goblin and Amxu Spiderhustle the goblin by èrith Lolorbardum.  Amxu Spiderhustle is  striking down Atu Wraithlizards.  The artwork relates to the killing of the goblin Atu Wraithlizards by the goblin Amxu Spiderhustle in The Matched Desert in the midspring of 105 during Dotometosp, "The Bloody Siege".   

Found it engraved on the floor of a hallway in my recent fort.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44005 on: November 28, 2015, 02:28:11 pm »

Maybe a marksgoblin screwed up.

In other news, my fort fell after the unexpected chaos, bridge failure and 44-odd zombie attack, it ending with small children crying and hiding in the tombs.

NJW2000 you have inspired me to create a museum. Starting now, I will create statues depicting the history of my civilization. Dwarves will be made to path past as much as possible before getting to the meeting room on the other side.
Nice! Be sure to have one of those optional little rooms nobody ever goes in full of elven history on the side!

Hmm... with a retracting bridge, a drawbridge and a pressure plate, one could create a labyrinth of happiness for stressed dwarves - one way out, one way in. Provided they survived the drop.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44006 on: November 28, 2015, 03:20:10 pm »

I've never seen this before.. (a goblin killing a goblin during a siege)

Shasarushil, "The Frightful Ice"
Engraved on the floor is an exceptionally designed  image of Atu Wraithlizards the goblin and Amxu Spiderhustle the goblin by èrith Lolorbardum.  Amxu Spiderhustle is  striking down Atu Wraithlizards.  The artwork relates to the killing of the goblin Atu Wraithlizards by the goblin Amxu Spiderhustle in The Matched Desert in the midspring of 105 during Dotometosp, "The Bloody Siege".   

Found it engraved on the floor of a hallway in my recent fort.

Gob civs fight each other all the time.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44007 on: November 28, 2015, 03:33:32 pm »

Maybe a marksgoblin screwed up.

In other news, my fort fell after the unexpected chaos, bridge failure and 44-odd zombie attack, it ending with small children crying and hiding in the tombs.

Nice! Be sure to have one of those optional little rooms nobody ever goes in full of elven history on the side!

Hmm... with a retracting bridge, a drawbridge and a pressure plate, one could create a labyrinth of happiness for stressed dwarves - one way out, one way in. Provided they survived the drop.

Ooh, I could entomb some actual dead elves in there for posterity. I'm sure I can find some of those. There can be one for goblins and humans too.

I'm going to post this when it's done.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Potato9999

• Bay Watcher
  • Highly racist against goblins
    • View Profile
« Reply #44008 on: November 28, 2015, 03:45:04 pm »

One thing I didn't know was that producing an artifact during a strange mood automatically gives legendary skill to the dwarf who made it.

My Armorer just made "Bitewills", a peridot-spiked silver helmet, and jumped from a Great to a Legendary armorsmith.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44009 on: November 28, 2015, 03:59:25 pm »

Except for possession moods.
Pages: 1 ... 2932 2933 [2934] 2935 2936 ... 3842