Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2920 2921 [2922] 2923 2924 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6107507 times)

Daris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #43815 on: November 08, 2015, 07:04:13 pm »

My militia was almost wiped out by the most recent goblin siege, so I'm trying a new tactic. My main fortress is enclosed by a giant wall, with doors at the top and bottom. I'm setting up cage traps all along the eastern side of the map, where the goblins have been coming from. My hope is when the next siege comes most of the goblins and trolls will get caught by the cage traps, and the rest will be killed by my modest militia.

Pit traps covered with retracting bridges work wonders when you, for whatever reason, don't want to send dwarves into battle against a goblin siege.  Two possible configurations:

- Pit is 2-z deep and lined with cage traps at the bottom.  At the edge closest to your fort, add a line of cage traps.  Hook up the bridge to a lever.  When the leader goblin hits a cage trap, all its followers will mill around on the bridge.  Have a dwarf pull the lever to send them into more cages.  This is good for when you want or need to capture the goblins, such as when you need goblinite but want to control your dwarves' exposure to corpses.

- Pit is an arbitrary but large number of z-levels deep, with or without upright spikes at the bottom, and the bridge is controlled by pressure plates.  When the leader goblin hits one of the pressure plates, all its followers plummet to their deaths.  The leader goblin can be captured with a trap line closer to your fort, or killed in some other manner, which should now be easy because there's only the one left.

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43816 on: November 08, 2015, 08:01:25 pm »

I have 2 artifact floodgates now, both of substantial value. I need to figure out how to incorporate them into the Great Obsidian Block so that they will be constantly viewed....

Yeah, that fellow wasn't fond of any piece of furniture, but you know what? I'm using that Modest Mod package that lets you put stands up to mount crafts on, so it's not a total loss; I'm still able to use it to provide a colossal boost to a room's value, it just can't fulfill any furniture demands.

Found some garnierite sooner than expected, and it was right under a spot I'm going to strip mine. Anyone have a foolproof way of channeling without cave-ins that doesn't take forever to designate?
Uh... up-ramps?
Doesn't seem to work too well with auto-mining.
Insert_Gnome_Here has claimed a computer terminal!

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #43817 on: November 08, 2015, 08:24:07 pm »

I really want to get one. So sad that they only occur near the collapse of a fort.
I suppose they're better if you could guarantee that they grab a useless peasant or noble, but it always seems to be a weaponsmith or brewer &c.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Calidovi

• Bay Watcher
  • agnus dei
    • View Profile
« Reply #43818 on: November 08, 2015, 08:57:29 pm »

Finally finished my obelisk. I just need a name for it.

Torrenal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43819 on: November 08, 2015, 09:27:22 pm »

I have learned to not use were-dwarves from my fort for catching arrows during live target practice.

Loyalty Cascade's are FUN.  :S
Made a save just after I got the creature caged, going to roll back to that.

Polyester

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #43820 on: November 08, 2015, 09:32:11 pm »

"Lets make a moat!" I said.
"It will protect us!" I said.
I stopped a river.
I have no idea how.
I have no idea why it stopped.
It just stopped.
It is no longer flowing, and I fear for my crops.
Those who do not remember the past are condemned to repeat it.

InsanityPrelude

• Bay Watcher
  • O SHI--
    • View Profile
« Reply #43821 on: November 08, 2015, 09:43:54 pm »

Still no liaison, which might actually be a problem since the other thing this map is missing is clay and sand.

(It's a volcano with flux though, so I can live with that.)
Forget down stairs, make an up stair
And then what?  Mine the sky? . . .  Actually, that'd be awesome.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43822 on: November 08, 2015, 09:54:33 pm »

Just got a message that ana rmy was laying siege to me fortress, it zooms to a group of undead entering the map. Then about 1 second after unpausing I got ANOTHER message saying the same exact thing, with the camera zooming into the same exact location. Then both the armies left. I could not tell what the second army was made out of.

I assume that I am near 2 necromancer towers and they both sieged me at the same time, instantly fought each other, and ended each other's sieges  ???

EDIT: Correction. One of the armies was stealthed an apparently consisted of 4 necromancers who must have scared the other army away, and then after showing themselves and animating some hair and skulls, fled the map... I expected necromancers to be less cowardly.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2015, 10:01:26 pm by Micro102 »

InsanityPrelude

• Bay Watcher
  • O SHI--
    • View Profile
« Reply #43823 on: November 09, 2015, 12:00:44 am »

Makers of useful artifacts just don't seem to have a long life expectancy in this fort. The dwarf who made the artifact casket earlier spontaneously burned to death while dumping a goblin head into the magma pit. No combat reports showed up and the magma for forges/dumping is blocked off from the main volcano with a floodgate, which would seem to rule out magma crabs. Did it splash back or something...?

On the bright side, I found iron ore.
Forget down stairs, make an up stair
And then what?  Mine the sky? . . .  Actually, that'd be awesome.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #43824 on: November 09, 2015, 12:30:35 am »

Makers of useful artifacts just don't seem to have a long life expectancy in this fort. The dwarf who made the artifact casket earlier spontaneously burned to death while dumping a goblin head into the magma pit. No combat reports showed up and the magma for forges/dumping is blocked off from the main volcano with a floodgate, which would seem to rule out magma crabs. Did it splash back or something...?
It could well be.  Dumping large objects can create magma mist; DFwiki reports that mass pitting has resulted in mist clouds three z-levels high with corresponding width.  If your magma pit is too shallow, any haulers would be at risk, though I'm a bit surprised to find that a goblin head could theoretically create a significant splash. 

Torrenal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43825 on: November 09, 2015, 02:20:39 am »

Now about one and a half years in.
I've found ores for lead, silver, and gold - suitable for general crafts, ammunition and weapons, but not armor.
My first try at dwarven trading failed, as near as I can figure, when a wagon died on a trap.  It left me with assorted junk, and one bar of rose gold, one bar of platinum.
The platinum was used in a posession to make an artifact gauntlet... who's value I can't even guess at - the dwarven traders fled leaving a dead wagon, and the only other traders to visit (Elves) never showed my broker the value of anything, so I'm left waiting for the next merchants before I appraise the gauntlet.

I setup initially between an elvin town and a tower, hoping to face undead  early on.  I've beat off two attacks - a were critter and a goblin(?!) 'siege'... which is still technically sieging us but the only two goblins left are on the edge of the map.

I was intending to run the fort without cage traps, defending it with the might of my military, about all I can muster in any quantity is cloth 'armor'.  Absent any meaningful trade or new discoveries below ground, I don't see me getting much in the way of quality armor for some time.  I suppose I should start leaning on weapon traps, but those tend to leave parts flying everywhere, and I did start a stones throw from a tower...

Edmus

• Bay Watcher
  • Powerful toasting since 1893!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43826 on: November 09, 2015, 03:27:52 am »

Your broker needs the appraisal skill before they can know the prices of things.

Daris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43827 on: November 09, 2015, 06:48:13 am »

Your broker should have picked up appraisal at the first caravan, however.  My replacement broker went from no skill to (iirc) adequate the first time she stepped up at the trade depot.

You won't get any further caravans until that "siege" is dealt with, btw.  Eventually the goblins will wander away on their own, but that might take a year.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #43828 on: November 09, 2015, 06:52:48 am »

Slimy molten bronze?
Malodorous slime rains from the sky and covers everything with bruises and knocks em out with a fever. The eagles are the funniest since they tend to get knocked out while trying to avoid the perma-siege zombies shooting bolts at them, and the top of the map is like z 290?

Pweeeeeeoooooooo BOOSH!

Cuchulain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43829 on: November 09, 2015, 07:51:35 am »

I've just started a fort in an awesome spot. Enough minerals to start steel production without even needing to dig deep. Take my time digging out an awesome fort.

Probably expand too fast, get a bunch of goods and migrants and a caravan.

Before I've had a chance to build my military, a Weremonitor shows up.

Fortunately I have Dead-Eye Urist in town, my hunter (who's afraid of combat, lol.) One-shots the beast.

Pages: 1 ... 2920 2921 [2922] 2923 2924 ... 3842