Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2909 2910 [2911] 2912 2913 ... 3839

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5969459 times)

FortunaDraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #43650 on: October 31, 2015, 07:50:37 pm »

Huh. Just busted open the first cavern layer and not only is it hella deep (20 z-levels at least, making it the largest cave I've ever found), the game tells me there's magma in it (despite me not being able to see the bottom where said magma apparently is). This is new and interesting.
I just had a "lord consort" visit and decide to stay. Preparing for Trojan war reenactment.
Protip: statues cannot be made out of wood unless they're artifacts. If you see what appears to be a wooden statue outside your fort and it's not an artifact, destroy it immediately.

xub313

• Bay Watcher
  • Recruit more masons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43651 on: October 31, 2015, 08:56:03 pm »

Gotcha! I finally found the vampire that has been plaguing my fortress. She got sloppy and tried snacking on a dwarf napping in a hallway an got caught.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

All those red crimes are dwarfs she's killed.

She has a interesting backstory. I was moving my army through a tight cavern passage when the squad got ambushed by a giant cave spider. It webbed them all instantly and started attacking Shem. When it couldn't bite though her steel helm it started strangling her. The vampirism explains why she didn't pass out from pain and became a legendary wrestler in the process.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43652 on: October 31, 2015, 09:21:50 pm »

Man, the stress impact seeing dead sapients that aren't from the same race really should be lessened or able to be combated somehow besides personality traits.

Cavern exploration went well, but the discovery of a slaughtered reptile man encampment (culprit unknown, but unlikely an FB as it would've made for the mineshaft or ambushed and likely killed the soldiers,) as well as clashing with two small troglodyte tribes have suddenly severely stressed out my soldiers. Like... To an unreasonable degree.

Their stress levels spiked massively from -2000 or more up into nearly 4000 for two out of four soldiers and 1500 for the other two. Most of this being from finding the dead reptile men.

I dunno about you guys, but personally seeing something that unhuman (playing as humans, this is literal) would be more disgusting than horrifying. I've seen dead things. They reek and look fucked up (especially after being dead in a creek for the better part of two weeks,) but not horrifying. These stupid shits need to man up and kill the damned savages and not care about the likely-week-old dead lizard people.

Also begun building small homes in the soil layers, if only out of convenience and with stone-paved floors. During cave exploration, galena and raw silver ore were also discovered, which once harvested is sure to merit a boon for commerce.

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
  • likes dragons for their fiery breath
    • View Profile
« Reply #43653 on: October 31, 2015, 09:23:32 pm »

Gotcha! I finally found the vampire that has been plaguing my fortress. She got sloppy and tried snacking on a dwarf napping in a hallway an got caught.

All those red crimes are dwarfs she's killed.

She has a interesting backstory. I was moving my army through a tight cavern passage when the squad got ambushed by a giant cave spider. It webbed them all instantly and started attacking Shem. When it couldn't bite though her steel helm it started strangling her. The vampirism explains why she didn't pass out from pain and became a legendary wrestler in the process.

loc here in her own room, make here her own squad.
Kids make great meat shields.
I nominate endlessblaze as our chief military executive!

FortunaDraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43654 on: October 31, 2015, 10:36:53 pm »

I swear this cave system is enormous. I've never seen a cavern this big before, both horizontally and vertically.

Zoomed out, that's my whole embark area, plus some black space. You can see that there's parts in the bottom half of the screen I haven't discovered yet. The highest layer is at -11 (one under my crafting sections, so that was close), and the lowest that I've found (and it goes deeper) is at -34. I need to explore more since there's apparently magma in it somewhere that I can't see but the announcements say exists.

This fort is going to be interesting.
I just had a "lord consort" visit and decide to stay. Preparing for Trojan war reenactment.
Protip: statues cannot be made out of wood unless they're artifacts. If you see what appears to be a wooden statue outside your fort and it's not an artifact, destroy it immediately.

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43655 on: October 31, 2015, 10:40:42 pm »

I swear this cave system is enormous. I've never seen a cavern this big before, both horizontally and vertically.

Zoomed out, that's my whole embark area, plus some black space. You can see that there's parts in the bottom half of the screen I haven't discovered yet. The highest layer is at -11 (one under my crafting sections, so that was close), and the lowest that I've found (and it goes deeper) is at -34. I need to explore more since there's apparently magma in it somewhere that I can't see but the announcements say exists.

This fort is going to be interesting.

Are you sure that's not just 2 cavern layers with a shaft connecting them? It happened to me once.
Insert_Gnome_Here has claimed a computer terminal!

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

FortunaDraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43656 on: October 31, 2015, 11:09:53 pm »

It could be but it's not because of me. I haven't dug down further than where I intended to enter the first cavern. The upper left and upper right sections start at the same level though, so I'm inclined to believe at least the top half is one cavern. The lower right looks like it either starts on the same level or a level or two lower. The highest part I can see of the lower left is three layers down from the top of the upper left.

I'll find out more when I finally bust into it but as I don't have a military yet I'm hesitant to do so right now.

As a side note, I'm also being 'attacked' by groups of three Kobold thieves instead of just the one I normally do. I must be close to a Kobold cave or something. None of them have stuck around after being revealed, but it's interesting.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43657 on: November 01, 2015, 12:11:49 am »

Unretired my fort after the low FPS on my adventurer became unbearable.

Decided to kill off all the 'hostile' dwarf traders/guards loitering around my fort, order the military to kill the first one.
One of my less-experienced swordsdwarves leads the charge, gets smacked in the arm with a warhammer and immediately passes out. Dude takes another hit, to the head, fracturing his skull before a spearmaster (who was following immediately behind) gets in there to stab the enemy's head.

Now this guy is "annoyed after suffering a minor injury". Goddamn, what a hardass.
I think I'll have to give 'em an actual room. Maybe even a table.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43658 on: November 01, 2015, 01:12:33 am »

A kid just entered a strange mood, and grabbed aluminum and gold for his 2 bars of metal and 3 tanned giant toad hides for his leather. I really like this kid, he knows what's up. Shame that he's just going to produce a trinket I can't find a practical use for.

I've built the tower as high as the stork flies (strangely, it never seems to move), made one of my hunters a militia captain and now he just refuses to shoot the damned thing because he won't pick up any bolts. That's it, I'm building a ballista now.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2015, 01:28:21 am by cochramd »

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

Daris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43659 on: November 01, 2015, 01:39:24 am »

Year 53.  Population now 173.  A bunch of children have come of age and I am starting a new marksdwarf squad, although I won't activate it until the squad is full.  That may take another decade or more, but I have time.

We've started a breeding program on the giant bats and voracious cave crawlers, trying to breed large, muscular, corpulent animals.  I actually don't know if genetics are a thing in DF, but the food is not unwelcome and it gives me something to do while waiting for my population to rise.

More than 1000 logs have been spent in the pursuit of masterwork clear glass furniture for everyone, and the end is in sight: around 60 more pieces are needed to finish out the currently-built bedrooms.  I also finally decided to go ahead and convert all that tallow to soap.  In the event that, by some bizarre happenstance, the fortress were to stumble across another cavern-like layer that needs to be walled up, I intend to do so with bars of soap.

FortunaDraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43660 on: November 01, 2015, 07:51:21 am »

Hooooooo boy that cavern is definitely all one cavern and it is insanely huge. And there's a deep magma tube in it that goes even lower than the cavern does! Lost two dwarves to a Giant Cave Spider though, annoyingly, before it ran into a cage trap. Can you use hostile spiders in silk farms, or should I atom smash this bastard?

Also caught a troll. I dunno if I like huge caverns like this because it's got huge peaks rising up in it with steep walls and it's hard to keep track of my dwarves. I might have to do some landscaping.

EDIT: Oh yeah, forgot to mention a freaking wereturtle came along and murdered my legendary farmer before killing 12 of my military dwarves :/ Turned back into a human at which point I sent EVERYONE after him. He paid for his trespassing.

Bakaridjan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43661 on: November 01, 2015, 10:45:17 am »

So I gave up on my fort that had an elf as it's symbol. It was near a dark tower, but otherwise was not a very interesting embark. So I got a nice fort going and left it to be managed by it's elf loving civilisation.

I looked at the legends though before starting a new fort for my old civ, the Polished Lens, who has a much more solid symbol, the illustrious gizzard stone. The elf-lovers, The Connected Gorge, have a very interesting story. It appears that the civ was all but wiped out by a Goblin civ. Oddly enough all of the assaults were mostly carried out by elves who had joined up with the gobbos. In 250, long after the demise of the Connected Gorge and when I started playing the world a Dostngosp SpiderySomething declared herself their queen. She has a dwarf leading a goblin bandit camp who was camped at one of the old fortresses of the Connected Gorge. Until I started playing there were no other nobles of the society, but by the third year a few barons/essess were appointed (of previous sites now seemingly occupied by goblins) along with the typical noble entourage. It appears that Dostngosp was succeeding at refounding the Connected Gorge.

Like I said though, my embark was too boring and I'm going back to Polished lens and embarking right next to the Dark Fortress that destroyed the Connected Gorge in the first place. Early on their demon leader of led their assaults on other sites. I've never seen a demon lead an attack on one of my forts, but it would be cool.

Daris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43662 on: November 01, 2015, 11:20:47 am »

Hooooooo boy that cavern is definitely all one cavern and it is insanely huge. And there's a deep magma tube in it that goes even lower than the cavern does! Lost two dwarves to a Giant Cave Spider though, annoyingly, before it ran into a cage trap. Can you use hostile spiders in silk farms, or should I atom smash this bastard?

I don't think it's possible to silk farm with tame spiders.  Life in a silk farm, providing wealth and fine clothing for dwarves, is a suitable punishment for it.  I can't imagine it's pleasant to be locked in a tiny space spewing webs for years on end.

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43663 on: November 01, 2015, 11:55:54 am »

Apparently while I wasn't looking, a wild giant bat killed my one and only bowyer before being killed in turn by a pair of war dogs and a stray cassowary. The stray cassowary got the kill, and that was so cool I've decided to spare her from the butcher.

I've fired one ballista arrow at the accursed stork, and I don't even think they were aiming at it. The ballista is only one tile off from being perfectly in line with it; to build it perfectly in line would require going too close to the edge or coming at it from a different angle altogether, so I'll have to go for the latter.

The cave crocodile hatchlings have finally reached adulthood; time to weed out the weak ones before letting them breed again.

jaked122

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Lurker tendancies]
    • View Profile
« Reply #43664 on: November 01, 2015, 11:57:09 am »

--snip--

I don't think it's possible to silk farm with tame spiders.  Life in a silk farm, providing wealth and fine clothing for dwarves, is a suitable punishment for it.  I can't imagine it's pleasant to be locked in a tiny space spewing webs for years on end.

You don't know if the giant cave spiders don't do it for fun.
Pages: 1 ... 2909 2910 [2911] 2912 2913 ... 3839