Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2907 2908 [2909] 2910 2911 ... 3839

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5972857 times)

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #43620 on: October 30, 2015, 01:14:55 pm »

Having a bunch of adamantine-armed soldiers is all nice and entertaining, but cleanup gets annoying: 24 goblins, 70 parts interred, eleven left hanging from trees. I feel the goblins deserve some effort at sorting away their corpses when they're so friendly to gift us precious loincloths (44 imported so far by elves and goblins). I'm still not going to mess around cutting down trees to get at loose teeth, especially in a remote aboveground corner while everyone's massively cave-adapted.

You could switch to using only blunt weapons for above ground conflicts. Less cleanup due to less severed limbs. Might be more scattered teeth, I guess.

Or you could dig a tunnel and fight all sieges in the tunnel to contain the mess.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43621 on: October 30, 2015, 01:35:03 pm »

Hooray for my new artifact bed! Sure, it's only made of tunnel tube and not anything really expensive like gold or platinum, but you know what? 14400 dwarfbucks isn't bad for a bed, and it sure is cool that one piece of artwork on it is a dragon in tunnel tube and not something lame like yet another picture of a dwarf creating a masterpiece.

Egg collection is turned off and the breeding program is in full swing; helmet snakes, giant cave sparrows and voracious cave crawlers are now part of the program. In time, I will have obtained training mastery over all trainable beasts who have entered my caverns. I'm also so close to mastering cassowaries I can taste it....

A minotaur showed up. Once again, it appeared closest to the depot and thus far away from the military, so some moronic civilians attempted wrestling it. Fortunately, the humanoid only managed to punch a clothier before the macelady showed up and bashed its brains out. The punched clothier showed "his heart is mangled beyond recognition" initially, but it was actually just a bruise without functional damage, he fully recovered in half a day.

That minotaur must've said something really, really mean.
Insert_Gnome_Here has claimed a computer terminal!

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43622 on: October 30, 2015, 01:40:10 pm »

The punched clothier showed "his heart is mangled beyond recognition" initially, but it was actually just a bruise without functional damage, he fully recovered in half a day.
Dwarven heart surgeons are Ace.

FoiledFencer

• Bay Watcher
  • keepin' it feudal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43623 on: October 30, 2015, 01:47:19 pm »

The fortress was elevated to a barony. Apparently my civ had a really bad year, so there are suddenly a lot of openings at the top...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

We were at peace with all but the Hardy Ruthlessness until a year ago. Sheesh, guys. Way to handle the foreign policy.
"Lithrushâst Kúdlizat: Fetidfur, the slick notch, a grizzly bear leather loincloth. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is studded with zinc, decorated with grizzly bear leather and encircled with bands of grizzly bear leather. This object menaces with spikes of grizzly bear leather."

Bakaridjan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43624 on: October 30, 2015, 05:57:54 pm »

GAAAAAAHHHH, AAAHHHH! I was just looking at engravings in my new fort.

"Engraved is an exceptional Avuz Lorbamsefol rendition of an exceptionally designed elf. The image is the symbol of the Connected Gorge, a dwarven civilization."

AAAAHH! Abandon Fort! ABANDON FORT!

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43625 on: October 30, 2015, 06:03:54 pm »

GAAAAAAHHHH, AAAHHHH! I was just looking at engravings in my new fort.

"Engraved is an exceptional Avuz Lorbamsefol rendition of an exceptionally designed elf. The image is the symbol of the Connected Gorge, a dwarven civilization."

AAAAHH! Abandon Fort! ABANDON FORT!
Delete the world, just to be safe.

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #43626 on: October 30, 2015, 06:29:21 pm »

Burn the computer, scatter the ashes over a dump.
One wheel short of a wagon

Edmus

• Bay Watcher
  • Powerful toasting since 1893!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43627 on: October 30, 2015, 06:56:22 pm »

No... No...
Edmus cancels procrastinate: Shaken

Dutrius

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer extremely unavailable!
    • View Profile
    • Arcanus Technica
« Reply #43628 on: October 30, 2015, 07:05:32 pm »

My broker went on a month long break then went to sleep for a week. When I wanted to trade with the caravan.
No longer extremely unavailable!
Sig text
ArcTech: Incursus. On hold indefinitely.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43629 on: October 30, 2015, 07:24:38 pm »

My broker went on a month long break then went to sleep for a week. When I wanted to trade with the caravan.

Pretty typical broker behavior, then.
-
Werefox attack. No deaths ro injuries, thanks to a counterattack destroying its upper spine tissue and a buckler to the face knocking all the teeth out. Kill goes to Atla the Pikeman, who landed the last hit before it bled out.

Militia fully armored and now training: Two axemen, a swordsman, and pikeman.

Food a small issue, though emergency gathering, a butchered migrant horse, and stocking up on cloth means flour which means meals, though they have to settle for biscuits. If three chicken ones are good enough to count as a whole meal to the hillbillies i live around, then these gits should find the horse meat and hemp flour ones here more than sufficient.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #43630 on: October 30, 2015, 10:43:34 pm »

One of my starting seven for a new fort is named Tun Murderlances. I'm debating making him a soldier.

Spoiler: stats (click to show/hide)

He's very flimsy, very quick to tire, and has a lack of willpower. But he has great intuition, great analytical abilities, a great feel for the surrounding space, a very good sense for the position of his own body, a good memory, and a sum of patience. He also has little understanding of social relationships, does not care about making friendships, dislikes helping others, does not feel gratitude for help or gifts, is quick to anger, has a sense of duty, acts with a narrow focus on the current activity, is uncomfortable around those that are different than himself, tends to form tenuous bonds with others, and despite all his anger, psychopathy, and social autism he somehow is prone to falling in love and developing positive sentiments.

What a character.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Zuglarkun

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:MAKE_MEGA CONSTRUCTION:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #43631 on: October 31, 2015, 01:43:04 am »

A pair of dragon hatchlings! I ran out of magma safe stone for making the magma proof hatches for the obsidianizer, so I will have to dig for more. This is the year that a good portion of the young fortress born dwarves finally come of age. Also masterwork gold statues everywhere. I need to have a few sets of those for the starting seven so that they might be memorialized forever before they start to expire.

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43632 on: October 31, 2015, 09:03:23 am »

At first, I was quite happy this morning when I saw one of my furnace operators be taken by a fey mood, claim a magma forge and claim a platinum bar as his first ingredient......then I checked his skills and saw that his highest metalsmithing skill was armorsmithing. Platinum doesn't make for good armor, does it?

FortunaDraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43633 on: October 31, 2015, 09:16:54 am »

I would assume it'd be on par with silver, given it's properties as an excellent blunt weapon metal :|a But as an artifact that wouldn't overly matter would it? It'd still be better than normal?
I just had a "lord consort" visit and decide to stay. Preparing for Trojan war reenactment.
Protip: statues cannot be made out of wood unless they're artifacts. If you see what appears to be a wooden statue outside your fort and it's not an artifact, destroy it immediately.

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43634 on: October 31, 2015, 10:43:59 am »

It was a buckler, so there's no good in it anyways.

I'm starting to debate what I'll do with the cassowaries once I've mastered them. On one hand, my long term goal is to have my fortress living almost entirely off of pig cheese, wild boar cheese and various kinds of eggs (WELCOME TO CROWGRAVEL, HOPE YOU LIKE CHEESE OMELETS) so they would prove helpful in that end. On the other hand, cave crocodiles are such prolific egg layers that I doubt I even need multiple species of egg layers to maintain stable food stocks. On the other other hand, because I'm secretly a Hindu deity, I do need variety in my dwarfs' diet. On the other other other hand, I already have cave crocodiles, jabberers, cave dragons, giant cave sparrows and helmet snakes, all of which provide value modifiers while the cassowary does not. Furthermore, if I really do need more than 5 kinds of eggs for variety, then geese and/or turkeys would be better birds for the job.

This fucking white stork, man. After all these in-game years, he is still flying around on my map with his liver, spleen and left false ribs mangled beyond all recognition and his lower body cut open with a masterwork bone bolt stuck in him. Will I ever be rid of him?

Has anyone had the problem where they raise the population cap in the dinit file but it isn't reflected in game? I raised my population quite a while back and haven't gotten any migrants despite the massive amounts of wealth I've produced.

Pages: 1 ... 2907 2908 [2909] 2910 2911 ... 3839