Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2894 2895 [2896] 2897 2898 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6098564 times)

lion95

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #43425 on: October 20, 2015, 06:54:40 pm »

I gave dragons wings. Every other fleshy creature in the arena doesn't stand a chance against them anymore!

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43426 on: October 20, 2015, 07:20:54 pm »

A dozen or so Jabberer eggs must've been laid, but they only bore 3 hatchlings. Tricky creatures to breed, these Jabberers are. I've picked up a few more cave crocodiles and giant bats, as well as a small herd of dralthas. While I haven't seen any creeping eyes again, the fleshballs and cave blobs have made a comeback, much to my displeasure. It's like playing whack-a-mole with these disgusting little things; you kill one batch of them and another shows up! At least their presence means it's possible that there's another cave dragon out there somewhere, possibly a male....
Insert_Gnome_Here has claimed a computer terminal!

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #43427 on: October 20, 2015, 07:58:44 pm »

I just discovered a Magma tube in the first Cavern!! :o :D  I will now be working doubly hard to not carelessly destroy this Fortress.

Iliithid

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank You, Friend Computer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43428 on: October 21, 2015, 12:01:08 am »

@ an uncaring Armok: Please stop making my citizens waste precious platinum bars like this. I don't care how cool you think the king was.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
"Here's a weapon of ridiculous destructive capability I invented, it is capable of wrecking tons of shit in horrific fashion... now I just need to figure out how to aim it."

That's absurdly dwarven of you, I'm so proud to be here to see it.

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43429 on: October 21, 2015, 05:48:22 am »

@ an uncaring Armok: Please stop making my citizens waste precious platinum bars like this. I don't care how cool you think the king was.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Dude, just put a well in your noble's room. BAM, instant royal room.

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

Daris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43430 on: October 21, 2015, 05:52:04 am »

My cave crocodile hatchlings from the last batch aren't all tamed yet! It's been so long that they've reverted from exceptional training to fine training, and that was only one cluster of eggs; I'm expecting multiple clusters now! The fact that Crowgravel has reached the "knowledgeable" training level for cave crocodiles should help, but the real problem is the dwarf I assigned to them doesn't just go out and train them. Apparently, he has better things to do than his bloody designated profession. Maybe I'll disable hauling on him and see if that helps....or maybe I already have over 50 cave crocodiles and I'm worrying about nothing. Still, the same dwarf is assigned to my giant bats and will be assigned to train their offpsring whenever they decide to give birth, and I've noticed my the other guy who I've assigned to my tigers and jabberers has the same problem. Why do animal trainers take so long to tame infants?

Here's how I believe animal training works.  I have not looked at the code, but I have trained a lot of batches of cave crocs.

A job to tame a wild animal is generated immediately when you queue the animal for training, and it's a high-priority job so animal trainers do it as soon as they are free from whatever they're up to when you issue the order.  Thereafter, animals lose 1 training level per season if they are not attended.

Shortly before this is going to occur, the game generates jobs for all trained animals for someone to come train them again.  The animal trainers then move amongst them in random order (depending on which animal is closest to them, just like with other jobs).  If the point comes where the animals the trainers haven't gotten to yet lose a training level, the jobs are cancelled and the animal trainers go back to whatever they normally do until the season again ends and the cycle starts over.

It is common for crocs and other animals to hatch shortly before the seasonal training sessions end, so I get 3-5 croc hatchlings trained to tame immediately, but have to wait until the next seasonal training for more to be tamed.  If I have a boatload of crocs and only 1 or 2 trainers, it takes many seasons for the trainers to get to them all.

The best way to fix this problem is to have more trainers, and to allow any animal to be trained by any trainer.

Camulus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43431 on: October 21, 2015, 05:55:17 am »

After rampaging through the goblin and troll ranks during their first siege, the greenskinned cowards sent a whole army composed of elves, dwarves and humans.

The fact that they conquered three races is impressive, but fifteen dwarves cleaved through their peons easily enough.

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43432 on: October 21, 2015, 06:59:43 am »

In Crowgravel, the bottom of the third cavern layer runs slick with creeping eye ichor, cave blob fluid and the blood of various creatures, mostly crundles and fleshballs. Armok, how much more blood must you have before I know peace from this evil?

Also, Conjuredice has over 100 kills now.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 07:02:55 am by cochramd »

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #43433 on: October 21, 2015, 01:07:07 pm »

In Crowgravel, the bottom of the third cavern layer runs slick with creeping eye ichor, cave blob fluid and the blood of various creatures, mostly crundles and fleshballs. Armok, how much more blood must you have before I know peace from this evil?

Also, Conjuredice has over 100 kills now.
Excessive Cavern critters will impede the spawning of surface animals.  Either wall off the entrances or create a trap-lined tunnel near them.

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43434 on: October 21, 2015, 01:22:21 pm »

Excessive Cavern critters will impede the spawning of surface animals.  Either wall off the entrances or create a trap-lined tunnel near them.
I've never observed that. Anyhow, I don't want to catch these little buggers; I want to KILL them. I already have a thousand plus cages in my fortress with creatures that I either cannot train or have no intention of training. I am hooking them up to a lever so that they can all be released at once and be killed by a combination of hammerdwarfs, macedwarfs, war dogs and each other. This has proved a long and onerous task, not because of the hauling, but because of all the time it takes to designate the cages. Believe me, the last thing I want is to catch more of them.

Maybe I'll just start putting down stone-fall or weapon traps.....but then I risk maiming or killing anything interesting that does show up in my cavern.....UUUUUUUUUGH.

Kuikka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43435 on: October 21, 2015, 01:57:04 pm »

I have been breeding my giant dingoes, and after delicately put tag [TRAINABLE] I thought I might have something.

Tested 6 war giant dingoes against eight moose men and women in my newly built arena.

Result: war giant dingoes are running away from moose folk in terror, and moose folk runs away from war giant dingoes.

War animals. PATHETIC.

I have large amount of cave creatures in captivity, but I might just throw them to my soldiers.

Foxite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43436 on: October 21, 2015, 02:56:40 pm »

After rampaging through the goblin and troll ranks during their first siege, the greenskinned cowards sent a whole army composed of elves, dwarves and humans.

The fact that they conquered three races is impressive, but fifteen dwarves cleaved through their peons easily enough.
I had this exact thing just yesterday.
The best way to demonstrate it to him is take a save of 40 year old fortress with 150 dwarves in it on a good sized embark with a volcano that just breached the circus and install it on his gaming rig and watch it bring his rig to its knees.

PyroTechno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43437 on: October 21, 2015, 03:58:00 pm »

The dwarven caravan arrived in autumn as is normal, and then froze halfway through packing up and leaving.

The guards still wander around near the caravan, but the merchants and animals just stand there. They are perfectly capable of pathing out; they just don't do it. They haven't gone insane yet, either, and it's been over half a year.

Has anyone else ever gotten this bug? Should I just have my military kill them to get rid of them, and then stop the loyalty cascade with some kind of trap? Maybe I should deconstruct the Trade Depot?

???
« Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 04:01:57 pm by PyroTechno »

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #43438 on: October 21, 2015, 04:13:36 pm »

Removing the Depot is always a good first step.  If that fails, atom smashing should prevent a loyalty cascade.

PyroTechno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43439 on: October 21, 2015, 04:20:25 pm »

I deconstructed the Depot, and the merchants left immediately and without issue, leaving behind all of their stuff as is normal when you deconstruct the Depot.

Weird bug. Easy solution.
Pages: 1 ... 2894 2895 [2896] 2897 2898 ... 3842