Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2893 2894 [2895] 2896 2897 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6098580 times)

Bakaridjan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #43410 on: October 20, 2015, 10:10:17 am »

I just got the message saying something like "Your ruler has arrived, you are now the mountainhome." But the only dwarf that arrived is the Outpost Liaison. My civ screen lists a queen, though she is at the very bottom of the list. What does this mean?

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43411 on: October 20, 2015, 10:28:15 am »

I just got the message saying something like "Your ruler has arrived, you are now the mountainhome." But the only dwarf that arrived is the Outpost Liaison. My civ screen lists a queen, though she is at the very bottom of the list. What does this mean?
Perhaps that she'll show up in the next wave of migrants?

Anyhow, I've got a good number of eggs incubating for my cave crocodiles, jabberers and the various other birds I've got kicking around (cassowaries FTW) and something has me terribly worried: My cave crocodile hatchlings from the last batch aren't all tamed yet! It's been so long that they've reverted from exceptional training to fine training, and that was only one cluster of eggs; I'm expecting multiple clusters now! The fact that Crowgravel has reached the "knowledgeable" training level for cave crocodiles should help, but the real problem is the dwarf I assigned to them doesn't just go out and train them. Apparently, he has better things to do than his bloody designated profession. Maybe I'll disable hauling on him and see if that helps....or maybe I already have over 50 cave crocodiles and I'm worrying about nothing. Still, the same dwarf is assigned to my giant bats and will be assigned to train their offpsring whenever they decide to give birth, and I've noticed my the other guy who I've assigned to my tigers and jabberers has the same problem. Why do animal trainers take so long to tame infants?
Insert_Gnome_Here has claimed a computer terminal!

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

Kneenibble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43412 on: October 20, 2015, 10:59:36 am »

I just look for stressed dwaves.  Usually they have something in their personality list that says they "fall apart in stressful situations" or something similar - there are a couple of messages that convey how much extra stress they take.  However, I have a dwarf now that goes to pieces and she has no such message, so I dunno.

I look at all my dwarves' personalities eventually, because I have some criteria for exempting them from military service.  Susceptibility to stress is one of the things that tells me that this dwarf would be a better master farmer than axe lord.

eta: If worst comes to worst, and you're not very attached to the problem dwarves, you can always just dispose of them.  As long as the bodies are not found, they will be listed as "missing" instead of deceased, and nobody will mourn them.  You can still put up a memorial slab, and for some reason your dwarves won't suspect that Urist McStressed is actually dead and not just on a long overseas vacation.  Wall them up somewhere and your problems are over (for now).

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Sorting the dwarves by happiness levels in Dwarf Therapist and keeping the unhappy ones away from any more bone-grinding did the trick.  A few dwarves were already over the edge, unfortunately: a legendary hunter is now stumbling around obliviously, and a legendary furnace operator lost his cool and started fights.  He killed a child, and the animal trainer I was trying to level, and savaged the legendary cook before dying of injuries himself.  The cook lay bleeding out in the hospital two tiles from a bed while the medical staff idled around a well, for some reason feeling no need to care for him: and he eventually died.

Although the whole fortress is a mass of blinking red arrows, it seems to be slowly getting better, and nobody else is going over the edge.  But another siege came in the middle of things, scattering a fresh wave of corpses and junk to clean up.  It seems like this project might be a lost cause.

PyroTechno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43413 on: October 20, 2015, 12:24:30 pm »

Either A: you somehow missed the queen and her entourage entering the map or B: your civilization's capital site was just destroyed and your previous ruler killed, thus promoting one of your dwarves. If your civ is not at war, it was some manner of megabeast or semi-megabeast. If your civ is at war, it was almost certainly an enemy siege. Either way, if the opportunity presents itself, make sure to avenge the fallen dwarves.  ;)

NESgamer190

• Bay Watcher
  • Crundle hugger
    • View Profile
« Reply #43414 on: October 20, 2015, 12:32:32 pm »

For now, voidspider's realized a dwarf had gone insane within one of the cages.  I have come to take it on myself to keep the insane alive as long as I can.  It is apparent that the dwarves will feed an insane dwarf if they are confined in something like a cage.

(Perhaps, some more science may be due, but chaining dwarves would not be doable for long periods of time, and would be luck-based to do any actual additional science.)

Of now, the baron's rooms have been getting set up, and oddly enough, no migrants showed up.  Did the giant from earlier get them?

Foxite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43415 on: October 20, 2015, 12:33:59 pm »

A vile force of darkness has arrived!

Really? There were Blizzard men, Humans, Dwarves, and Trolls, all with goblin names but not a single goblin was part of the siege group. I guess they knew I was just going to smack axes in their faces, with not even a single fucking injury on my side.
The best way to demonstrate it to him is take a save of 40 year old fortress with 150 dwarves in it on a good sized embark with a volcano that just breached the circus and install it on his gaming rig and watch it bring his rig to its knees.

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43416 on: October 20, 2015, 12:43:52 pm »

I think I've finally done it. There are no new animals showing up in the third layer. I cleared them all out......this would make me very happy, except for one thing: if I've already captured or killed all animals than the two female cave dragons I have right now are the only ones I will ever have, meaning I will never capture a male and produce offspring. Quite a tragedy, I tell you.

Also, I was disappointed to learn that in order to look at the world of Crowgravel in legends mode, I'd have to abandon Crowgravel if only temporarily. I just want to check if there are any elves or humans in the world, man.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2015, 12:47:37 pm by cochramd »

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

PyroTechno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43417 on: October 20, 2015, 12:50:29 pm »

I think I've finally done it. There are no new animals showing up in the third layer. I cleared them all out......this would make me very happy, except for one thing: if I've already captured or killed all animals than the two female cave dragons I have right now are the only ones I will ever have, meaning I will never capture a male and produce offspring. Quite a tragedy, I tell you.

Also, I was disappointed to learn that in order to look at the world of Crowgravel in legends mode, I'd have to abandon Crowgravel if only temporarily. I just want to check if there are any elves or humans in the world, man.

Go into the game's save folder, copy the correct region folder (the game tells you which one it is when you load it), and then abandon or retire Crowgravel in the copy. Then you can look through the legends mode to your heart's content, while still having an intact fort on the side.

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43418 on: October 20, 2015, 01:27:06 pm »

Go into the game's save folder, copy the correct region folder (the game tells you which one it is when you load it), and then abandon or retire Crowgravel in the copy. Then you can look through the legends mode to your heart's content, while still having an intact fort on the side.
Oh yes, that works perfectly.

Hm. Troubling. It appears that there is nothing but dwarves, goblins and kobolds in this world as far as civilizations go, there are no megabeasts and the sole semi-megabeast is an ettin who lives several tiles away. Thankfully I'm well within 30 tiles of the goblin fortress; it would be boring if all I hate to deal with when I turned [INVADERS] on was random titans and forgotten beasts.

Still though, those poor cave dragons. They'll never get to have a mate.

Another tragedy: I went back and counted, and I have far more than 50 cave crocodiles in Crowgravel, so there will be no hatchlings from this batch of eggs. I have ordered all the current hatchlings slaughters so the trained parents will feel like having some more children; hopefully, the experience from training the next generation will bump me up to "expert" in cave crocodiles and, with a fully domestic population, I can safely slaughter the parents.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2015, 01:49:23 pm by cochramd »

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43419 on: October 20, 2015, 02:32:35 pm »

In one of my earlier games, when I noticed that the Dwarfs would select which statue to put where, I went around looking at the statues.  They put a statue of a Dwarf on top of the Fortress.  Makes sense.  And they put a statue of a pig in the sheriff's office.  Funny.

In my last game they put a statue of a craftsman holding a mug on top of their outside tavern:
Awesome.

In my latest game I am allowing them to make as many choices as they want.  So I let them name the squads.  When I created the Captain of the Guard's unit they selected....this...
Now I am wondering if they're just being jerks.
The most EVIL creature in Dwarf Fortress!

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #43420 on: October 20, 2015, 02:37:02 pm »

"Galleys of Paddling"?

Worse. Nobody wants a fratboy militia unit.
One wheel short of a wagon

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43421 on: October 20, 2015, 03:06:30 pm »

It turns out my animal trainer was stuck on a nest box for some reason. He is freed, and back to training cave crocodiles. The hatchlings are all trained now, though I am still only at "knowledgeable".

Over 3,000 beings have died here at Crowgravel now. Thankfully, most of them weren't dwarfs.

The caravan came and as usual I dumped a boatload of prepared meals on them and bought out the whole caravan, giving the mountainhomes a massive profit. I was going to ask for more stuff than I usually do, but my mayor was a prick and chose to haul a microline block around for reasons unknown to all but him instead of conducting a meeting with the liaison.

The time of hatching grows near, and I watch my jabberers on their nest boxes with great anticipation.

Bakaridjan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43422 on: October 20, 2015, 03:44:35 pm »

Got to looking at Legends Mode seriously for the first time to try and figure out where my queen is. I didn't figure that out but I discovered that the vampire I have locked up has 1590 kills to her name including 1381 in one settlement alone. That's draining the blood out of everyone in my fortress ten times over. They were all humans and she stayed in that settlement for 35 years. That means she averaged 39 victims a year or 3.2 a month. They must have been sustaining some serious immigration during those years.

FortunaDraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43423 on: October 20, 2015, 05:36:12 pm »

There's also a DFhack command to open legends mode while you're playing, I've been using to find out where the hell my outpost liasons are when my civ is very much not extinct. Turns out they're incredibly good at pathing through goblin forts.
I just had a "lord consort" visit and decide to stay. Preparing for Trojan war reenactment.
Protip: statues cannot be made out of wood unless they're artifacts. If you see what appears to be a wooden statue outside your fort and it's not an artifact, destroy it immediately.

SirAero8

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43424 on: October 20, 2015, 06:42:50 pm »

I found a lava pit in the middle of the caves, which has never happened to me before, so I decided to do some stuff with it. First thing I did was throw a giant rat into the pit and watch it burn. Unfortunately, that set the caves above it on fire, and the fire is now spreading towards my bookkeeper, who doesn't have much room to run.
Pages: 1 ... 2893 2894 [2895] 2896 2897 ... 3842