Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2890 2891 [2892] 2893 2894 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6098319 times)

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #43365 on: October 17, 2015, 06:45:38 pm »

OH ARMOK, THE CRUNDLES HAVE RETURNED! I THOUGHT I KILLED THEM ALL! DIE, YOU SCALY LITTLE BASTARDS, DIE!

But seriously though, I have to ask now: Does every cavern layer have its own population groups? Might I have driven crundles to extinction on the third layer and have left a completely separated population on the second layer alive?

Also, I forbade my dwarves from collecting any eggs, and the snakes and birds in my "miscallenous" have claimed a few nestboxes. If all goes well and the mothers are not disturbed for training for the next three months, I should be getting 9 cassowaries from 3 mothers (3,3,3), 47 pythons from 2 mothers (23, 24), 22 bushmasters from 2 mothers (11, 11), 6 eagles from 2 mothers (3,3) and 4 great horned owls.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2015, 07:41:00 pm by cochramd »
Insert_Gnome_Here has claimed a computer terminal!

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #43366 on: October 17, 2015, 08:02:55 pm »

Yeah, each cavern layer is separated, each layer has its own regions, each region or subregion can have its own populations, and you can technically embark on a location such that two regions meet under the fort, so both cavern regions' populations can show up in that layer.

Also, populations regrow after suffering losses now.

So, my head stoneworker died of dehydration today after going melancholy as a result of my failing to cut some gems for his artifact.
I managed to have a solid gold sarcophagus forged and set up for him. He will be remembered.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

FortunaDraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43367 on: October 18, 2015, 03:59:27 am »

WOO! Finally got rid of most of the zombies that have been plaguing my fort for...nearly a year? A year? It's been so long I don't remember XD I'm technically still SIEGEd, though I'm not sure if that's because I have 30 odd zombies in cages awaiting a new atom smashing room I'm going to set up momentarily, or if it's because there's one zombie determined to cling to the walls inside the Pit Of Doom. Not sure how I'm going to deal with him aside from trying to smooth all the walls to make him fall to the bottom and then doing...something. Maybe siccing all the dwarves in my fort on him. 109 dwarves should be enough to overcome one zombie with two macelords and a mace squad in there...
I just had a "lord consort" visit and decide to stay. Preparing for Trojan war reenactment.
Protip: statues cannot be made out of wood unless they're artifacts. If you see what appears to be a wooden statue outside your fort and it's not an artifact, destroy it immediately.

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43368 on: October 18, 2015, 07:46:50 am »

So it turns out that snakes don't have child states. But hey, birds do, so those eagles and cassowa-BY ARMOK, I'VE GOT CAVE CROCODILE AND JABBERER HATCHLINGS! TURNING OFF EGG COLLECTION IS THE BEST THING I'VE EVER DONE FOR CROWGRAVEL'S BREEDING PROGRAMS!
Insert_Gnome_Here has claimed a computer terminal!

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

Daris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43369 on: October 18, 2015, 09:19:47 am »

WOO! Finally got rid of most of the zombies that have been plaguing my fort for...nearly a year? A year? It's been so long I don't remember XD I'm technically still SIEGEd, though I'm not sure if that's because I have 30 odd zombies in cages awaiting a new atom smashing room I'm going to set up momentarily, or if it's because there's one zombie determined to cling to the walls inside the Pit Of Doom. Not sure how I'm going to deal with him aside from trying to smooth all the walls to make him fall to the bottom and then doing...something. Maybe siccing all the dwarves in my fort on him. 109 dwarves should be enough to overcome one zombie with two macelords and a mace squad in there...

Yeah, that one loose zombie will keep you under siege indefinitely.  Caged ones are okay.

I might try mining up to the edges of the pit on the layers where it where it hangs out and smoothing the edges from outside the pit.  My theory is that that should smooth the inside surfaces and make the zombie fall.  Should be safe as long as the walls of the pit remain connected to ground somewhere.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #43370 on: October 18, 2015, 05:01:21 pm »

Oops, didn't expect the FB to go that way.

Luckily for me, my inability to secure the release door has created a failsafe.

Uvash Ilunablel cancels No Job: Clean Self.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2015, 05:13:50 pm by Sutremaine »
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

FortunaDraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43371 on: October 18, 2015, 05:24:05 pm »

Yeah, that one loose zombie will keep you under siege indefinitely.  Caged ones are okay.

I might try mining up to the edges of the pit on the layers where it where it hangs out and smoothing the edges from outside the pit.  My theory is that that should smooth the inside surfaces and make the zombie fall.  Should be safe as long as the walls of the pit remain connected to ground somewhere.
Yeah that's what I'm in the middle of doing at the moment. I'm hoping multiple floors of smoothed walls will do it, since it's currently hoping back and forth over the one level of smooth walls I currently have like a monkey. Annoying thing.

If that fails I'm going to station the marksmen squad down there and carve a fortification into one of the constructed walls to shoot the bastard.
I just had a "lord consort" visit and decide to stay. Preparing for Trojan war reenactment.
Protip: statues cannot be made out of wood unless they're artifacts. If you see what appears to be a wooden statue outside your fort and it's not an artifact, destroy it immediately.

Daris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43372 on: October 18, 2015, 05:47:31 pm »

Year 48.  Population 155.  One more forgotten beast down (a web-spinning gecko twisted into humanoid form), and a second titan came to visit (a giant hairy iguana).  Two more sieges are tying up my cages.  I really want to capture a male cave dragon to breed with the female, but I can't get enough cages free quickly enough to make it worth opening the third cavern layer again.  I could just build a bunch more, but that offends my sensibilities.  I have plenty; they're just full of goblins.

My oldest dwarf. Kol Stasisrope, has turned 131, and made me start to think a little more about my fort's funeral arrangements.  I created a somewhat craptastic graveyard very early in, but we've had no fatalities yet (although there was a close call when the expedition leader had to be cut out of a tree and landed on her face) so I was able to deconstruct it and build something new.

At first, I thought about carving each dwarf an individual crypt, but then thought that they would probably prefer to rest surrounded by their families.  The duchess, of course, demands a crypt of her own, and I built one for the duke consort as well so that they can be together, but the remainder of the graves will be located in a ring hugging the volcano.  The duchess and duke consort get masterwork steel sarcophagi, whereas everyone else gets a masterwork clear glass coffin.  My glassmakers are all uber-legendary by now, but a lot of trees are nevertheless being sacrificed for this project.

Calidovi

• Bay Watcher
  • agnus dei
    • View Profile
« Reply #43373 on: October 18, 2015, 07:45:11 pm »

Finally constructed that cyclops sally port and set up some pillboxes. I'm probably going to make a quick'n'easy golden standard to fly above those pillboxes.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Iliithid

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank You, Friend Computer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43374 on: October 18, 2015, 11:41:27 pm »

Please make them stop.
"Here's a weapon of ridiculous destructive capability I invented, it is capable of wrecking tons of shit in horrific fashion... now I just need to figure out how to aim it."

That's absurdly dwarven of you, I'm so proud to be here to see it.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #43375 on: October 19, 2015, 12:08:23 am »

http://i.imgur.com/BTieYIi.png
Please make them stop.
What was it someone else in the thread said a while back which I misread amusingly?

Oh yeah...

FUCK OFF MY MAP!

Uvash Ilunablel cancels No Job: Clean Self.
So what, came by en route to a bath, punched the FB in the brain, then continued on to bathe?

Metal.

So I'm trying to figure out the best blend of skills and such so I can get a wall thrown into place around the wagon with a roof over it due to... well... interesting neighbors that like to go puddle hopping in whatever filth is falling from the sky.

I was really excited because I saw cat blood all over the roof when I checked on the progress and thought it was raining cat blood instead of awful goop... nope, the red shit everywhere just causes blistering/bleeding/etc.

FortunaDraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43376 on: October 19, 2015, 03:29:14 am »

Ugh. Started a new world fort because I was getting bored of trying to deal with climber!zombie, and having MAJOR issues with brewing. My dwarves refuse to acknowledge that there are barrels and large rock pots not two feet away from the stills. They aren't forbidden or anything! Even the dump-claim trick I've been using before isn't working now...

KillerHP

• Bay Watcher
  • im french :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #43377 on: October 19, 2015, 05:59:05 am »

Terrifying lands are really filled with !!FUN!! and that rain means no work outdoors.
A random person which does stuff and likes roguelikes and SS13...

Bakaridjan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43378 on: October 19, 2015, 07:28:17 am »

Finally got visited by my first dragon and managed to catch it in my last line of traps before the main staircase. She burned the entire interior of my above ground fort and destroyed a lot of roads and cage traps, but for all that she only killed three dwarfs and my only Giant Dingo (grrrr!). But I suppose Dragon > Giant Dingo. My dwarves are going to miss their fruit trees and perry, but those will regrow. In other news my marble and cobaltite tower has reached 10 stories above ground and is looking very nice (it would be perfect for a wizard, but those probably won't show their faces for a long time to come yet), and we're adventuring in the third cavern layer trying to find a magma pool but I think we're going to be out of luck on that one. Gonna kill all the animals except pigs, alpaca, ducks, peafowl and war/guard animals.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #43379 on: October 19, 2015, 08:21:16 am »

At first, I thought about carving each dwarf an individual crypt, but then thought that they would probably prefer to rest surrounded by their families.  The duchess, of course, demands a crypt of her own, and I built one for the duke consort as well so that they can be together, but the remainder of the graves will be located in a ring hugging the volcano.  The duchess and duke consort get masterwork steel sarcophagi, whereas everyone else gets a masterwork clear glass coffin.  My glassmakers are all uber-legendary by now, but a lot of trees are nevertheless being sacrificed for this project.

Heh. Clear glass coffins sound pretty dwarfy. Provides a clear view of the grisly corpse as it decomposes.

"Watch as yer great-grandpappy decays into a pile of bones and mush, little Urist. That'll happen to you someday. You may not even be dead when it happens!"
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.
Pages: 1 ... 2890 2891 [2892] 2893 2894 ... 3842