Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2884 2885 [2886] 2887 2888 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6098781 times)

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #43275 on: October 11, 2015, 11:49:20 am »

Apparently taming already trained babies has much less of an effect on training level than training wild adults does, because all those hatchlings only bumped me up to "general familiarity" with saltwater crocodiles. I've picked up some tapirs, some capybaras....and crundles. Too many crundles. The dead nearly outnumber the living, and among the living the crundles outnumber all others combined by far. The realization was so horrifying that I had the plump helmet men thrown to my War Jabberers so that the carnage would distract me. Said Jabberers refuse to breed; I locked them in with their first batch of eggs for months before realizing the eggs were infertile, and as far as I can tell they haven't gone back to the nestboxes since. I killed some of the males for being inferior studs; I hope that's not the reason I'm not getting any eggs. I'm also letting my stockpiles of birds and snakes build up.....maybe I will get to breeding them soon.

I'm proud to say that I have to zoom out a little to view my entire train levels list:

I've dug out 18 layers down from the deepest soil level and I still haven't found the first cavern level yet...though given that the second and third cavern layers start at 94 and 107 down from the surface respectively, I shouldn't be surprised.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2015, 11:52:23 am by cochramd »
Insert_Gnome_Here has claimed a computer terminal!

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #43276 on: October 11, 2015, 12:10:54 pm »

Joycup was awesome, but the world had already been wrecked by Treatylong and Limul, plus I had some ideas which I wanted to try out that needed a similar site.

After experimenting most of yesterday and all night on an awesome spot I found in the dozens I of worlds I was generating trying to find something interesting, I did a thing.

What is better than having one enormous dorf barfing magma all over your fort?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Having three of them, and half a dozen towers nearby to play with.

I know zombies won't melt like everything else does, but I don't really see a problem with a horde of burning undead sitting outside my gates bathing in magma eternally, now I just need to clean up the flow paths a bit better (no point channeling all the funjuice off the map before it hits the courtyard) and apparently I need to add some more walls to the depot, 1-z elevation is NOT sufficient to keep it above the flood.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #43277 on: October 11, 2015, 12:38:55 pm »

Zombies do melt now! Burning pulps body parts, making things without blood vulnerable to fire/magma.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #43278 on: October 11, 2015, 12:41:39 pm »

Why am I disappointed by that?

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43279 on: October 11, 2015, 12:43:48 pm »

Just picked up another Jabberer and she claimed a nestbox; let's hope she's fertile. I've also done some renovations to the egglayer's area, taking down unneeded walls so the animals have more space to roam about. Perhaps in the future, I will need to design egg-laying zones with as much attention to detail as bedrooms....

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #43280 on: October 11, 2015, 01:14:28 pm »

Why am I disappointed by that?
Because now you can't become a husk and swim in the magma sea anymore :(

SyrusLD

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #43281 on: October 11, 2015, 01:17:55 pm »

I've got several claims to fame in Bastiongate. I've got the largest FB collection ever assembled. I'm the only one to ever have demons born in his fort. I'm one of few to ever wall off hell completely, and I'm the only one to ever flood hell. And I'm pretty sure Bastiongate is older than 99.99% of forts, too.
Hehe, well, Violentlash has been pretty much my first "more serious and longterm" fortress. I had a few before that to learn the basics, but nothing so focussed on "compactness and efficiency" (though I guess other people could do much better in these terms). The main goal was just to advance as much time as possible while having a sizeable fortress, so I could do any big projects whenever I felt like doing them.

Never actually encountered any FBs, they all spawned down in the dark place of !!FUN!! sadly and didn't last long...might be because I only have one level of caverns, which's entrances are all covered with cage traps.
Almost all clowns were decimated via good use of spike traps. Didn't know they could breed though. Several times I thought about doing some projects in the !!FUN!! place below, but the presence of firey creatures would make any military takeover a most !!FUN!! and sadly unlikely successful operation - and as I said, I try to keep my squishy dwarves from meeting their untimely demise as best as possible - this has made minecarts the most deadly thing of my fortress actually...I know, I know, it's not a very dwarfish way of leading a fortress, but this fortress is about how the game behaves on long term...I wish I'd get the fortress to an age of 170 to 200 - so that the first of the first generation born in the fortress will already start dying, but that would take a few more months of "not playing", and though the crashing has reduced since finishing the lake as it seems, I feel like I want to play adventure mode again and start a new, less "safe" fortress at some point.
Still, flooding hell is something I really would love to do at some point or another...

Violentlash has some things about it that make it quite nice - like a cage-emptying-shotgun, a spikey room for clown disposal and that nice lake it resides on now. Nothing too grand, but hey,...that was never the real goal.
The real goal just takes up sooo much time...anyway, I like having one of the "oldest" fortresses, even if it doesn't get anywhere. (:

Always amazed at what other people managed to do in their fortresses!
In Remembrance of Bengel Hairybasement,
Strangler of a Sasquatch, Troglodytes and a Cyclops,
Slayer of a Giantess, whom he burned alive.
Died in a Heroic Fight with a Grizzly Bear.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43282 on: October 11, 2015, 01:21:20 pm »

Just remember to drain the lake into it before you retire :P
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43283 on: October 11, 2015, 02:27:14 pm »

The trade caravan came, I dumped all my prepared meals on it, and then I learned that I can sell prepared meals for a premium next year. Life is cruel.

Foxite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43284 on: October 11, 2015, 03:22:44 pm »

Major defensive engineering project. It has three phases; the outer wall, the ceiling over the outer wall, and a moat around the outer wall. Currently in phase two. I'm still not sure if I'm going to do phase 3 with magma, water, or nothing. Water looks better, nothing works good and is cheap, magma is hard and will burn nearby things but it is super effective.

Also, the keas are interrupting EVERYTHING.
The best way to demonstrate it to him is take a save of 40 year old fortress with 150 dwarves in it on a good sized embark with a volcano that just breached the circus and install it on his gaming rig and watch it bring his rig to its knees.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43285 on: October 11, 2015, 03:24:11 pm »

I started a fort in a sinister area. I started mining an area out and then mucus fell from the sky. Unfortunately, it caused everyone's entire body to blister and then mangle and then everyone died.

So I started again in the same area. This time, I built a much smaller roof over the wagon and tried to get people underground ASAP. It almost worked, but the rain started much earlier. Everyone started dying and I thought the fort was dead, but then I realized that I'd had two miners underground the entire time. I assigned them to basically every job and had them expand the fort a bit. Eventually migrants showed up; at the same time, one of the original miners died of the evil rain. Now I have a fort with migrants slowly trickling in and a mortality rate of about 50%.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #43286 on: October 11, 2015, 03:43:45 pm »

Selling clothes from the migrant wave that got werehorsed to the dwarven wagon. This is good for everything, except the fact that I'll get even more migrants. You can't win, ay have to alter that pop. cap.
One wheel short of a wagon

Daris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43287 on: October 11, 2015, 03:54:57 pm »

I finally got off my butt and built a wall-and-ditch around my fort, but now the save is somehow corrupt and crashes at the loading units portion.

This is the second time it's done this.  I have a backup from the seasonal autosave but it's disheartening to think of how much work I'll have to re-do.

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43288 on: October 11, 2015, 04:52:00 pm »

Capybaras are reproducing; I assign trainers to the pups, but they still haven't tamed them yet, even though they have nothing better to do. Why trainers wait to train younglings, I will never know.

Bakaridjan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43289 on: October 11, 2015, 04:58:20 pm »

I just realized the the 500 odd bits of meat I got from the Roc are worth 17k. That's a boon for an early fort. Still I would rather have captured it.
Pages: 1 ... 2884 2885 [2886] 2887 2888 ... 3842