Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2860 2861 [2862] 2863 2864 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6100961 times)

Solon64

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #42915 on: September 06, 2015, 01:32:25 am »

First merchant arrives, yay!

Wait, he's not at the depot yet?  Why not?
*zooms to "merchant has arrived!" message location*

.....Why is there blood everywhere?
*reads combat reports*

*rereads combat reports to make sure I'm reading it correctly*
*sighs*

Merchant spent 10 days punching a capybara in the head doing no damage, it wakes up, bites him in the head, and shakes him for days before he bleeds out.  Then the merchant guards decided "Oy, mate, you can't go 'round killin' our mates, like!" and put the pig-thing down.  Now they're just standing there, watching whilst my fortress dwarves have noticed the free piles of stuff lying there drenched in merchant life-blood and assorted capybara bits and decided that, yeah, they could use some of that stuff (read: all of it, all of the knick knacks and rose gold nose rings and *iron thongs* and all).  Hey, it's not as if ownership applies, the guy who used to own it is mouldering over there under that furry pig thing's corpse

This was a normal capybara, not a giant one. 3.5 feet long, about 2 feet high, and docile.  Well, not COMPLETELY docile, it seems.  I'm organizing the boys and letting them know to shoot any and all capybaras on sight from here on until eternity.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2015, 01:41:35 am by Solon64 »
PS: Seriously, you must have, like, super-getting-lost skills. You could go missing in a straight corridor and impale yourself on flat ground if I don't tell you where to go.

qorthos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42916 on: September 06, 2015, 12:38:42 pm »

Pumping in magma into the moat/forge supply.

Taking a while...

Kuikka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42917 on: September 06, 2015, 03:36:12 pm »

Started a humiefort with pop cap 40. Had a small garrison of 10 halberdiers. Built a wall and a moat around the place. Built a bridge over the moat and started to link it to a lever.

Season turns, game saves

37 undeads came to pay a visit

Massacre.

Issue #1. My framerate dropped like hell when the zombies started to move. I have never seen such a dramatic loss of fps (from 100 to 20).
Issue# 2. My soldiers climbed over the wall and the moat to add little bit more spice to the slaughter. WHYDOTHEYKEEPJUMPINGFROMTHEWALLSGGRRRRRR.
issue# 3. Forgot why I stopped playing DF after my last fort (issue 2 + the "non attack bug").
« Last Edit: September 06, 2015, 03:38:36 pm by Kuikka »

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42918 on: September 06, 2015, 03:55:48 pm »

I've seen quite a few "goblin" invasions of brainwashed elves before, but not one consisting entirely of humans and dwarves.

The funniest thing is that these suckers are wearing only civilian clothing -- the gobbos can't be arsed to equip their axe-fodder slaves with suits of armour!

Gem Hound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42919 on: September 06, 2015, 04:27:13 pm »

So, apparently since I set out for this fort, the mountainhome was taken over by goblins. Even the Liason is a goblin, though the caravan is still Dwarves. Check this out:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42920 on: September 06, 2015, 04:48:38 pm »

So, apparently since I set out for this fort, the mountainhome was taken over by goblins. Even the Liason is a goblin, though the caravan is still Dwarves. Check this out:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
That seems to be very common in 0.40.24

EDIT:

Oh-ho-ho! The elves are bargaining with the lives of their precious trees now! That's a novel feature.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2015, 04:52:51 pm by SirQuiamus »

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #42921 on: September 06, 2015, 05:24:56 pm »

b! b! B!

Last non-goblin seige I had was 30 goblin-oriented humans in loincloths, all recruits so no identifiable squad leader. No weapons, armour or other clothes. It was a rather sad massacre, though one of them tried to beat up a cow. I did not mind seeing that guy die, maltreated as he may have been.
One wheel short of a wagon

Gem Hound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42922 on: September 06, 2015, 06:20:25 pm »

That seems to be very common in 0.40.24

EDIT:

Oh-ho-ho! The elves are bargaining with the lives of their precious trees now! That's a novel feature.

1. Just the fact that it seems the Dwarves have not rebelled yet, since it is you know... Goblins. Elves and Humans leading are different. Refusal of the agreement could lead to war.
2. That happens when you heavily chop down trees on a map. the Elves will try to curb your tree chopping, breaking the agreement could lead to all out war.

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42923 on: September 06, 2015, 06:23:46 pm »

Thing is, my dear elf, that there are probably less than a hundred trees left on the map anyway. Your unprincipled blackmail attempts cannot save your filthy trees from the furnaces -- begone!

On another note, the recent dwarf/human siege had a hilarious side-effect: Loyalty cascade!

Right after the battle, one of my legendary swordsdwarves suddenly attacked another soldier for no apparent reason, and the situation quickly descended into a free-for-all with several civilians punching each other and the swordmaster finishing them off one by one. I'm absolutely flummoxed as to why in Armok's name this happened -- random buggy behaviour, or something to do with the fact that the goblinized dwarves were former members of my civ? It is a mystery...

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42924 on: September 06, 2015, 06:33:04 pm »

Saw a mob I have never seen before... "blood man".  Says it's a cursed abomination, a man made entirely of blood, found only "very near the underworld."

Hmm.
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42925 on: September 06, 2015, 06:37:34 pm »

My money's on one of the goblinized dwarves being improperly flagged as no longer a member of your civ.
-
Started a fort with again the intent of warring on elves. I've selected a very isolated civ known as The Banner of Cacti, set up in a forest, and am extremely close to thier capital and surrounding settlements with thousands of elves and other critters in some. The civ in question has made war on The Banner of Cacti a whopping twelve times, and even fought a much smaller elf civilization presumably over territory or water rights or something. The wars against the Banner of Cacti always ended in marginal to severe defeats or draws.

I am quite eager to reignite a centuries old rivalry, and water the forest with thier blood.

Might also give Deathswrd/Teneb's Elder Scrolls mod a try because I have an unhealthy obsession with the dwemer.

Saw a mob I have never seen before... "blood man".  Says it's a cursed abomination, a man made entirely of blood, found only "very near the underworld."

Hmm.

Those are vanilla creatures if I'm not mistaken. Fairly uncommon, and weak as hell.

EDIT: Fired up that mod, decided to roleplay it out as the dwemer trying to open trade relations with the maormer.

My one mason proceeded to make out of a ten statue order: two statues of the god of war and fortresses basically doodling, one of otters, one of lizards, one of a dog, and five of khajiit battlecats killing maormer.This guy lost a drawing of straws to come here, finds the deaths of maormer by giant talking murder cats hilarious, or he doesn't think that highly of maormer or seafood.

At any rate, somehow I don't think the maormer would appreciate being reminded of thier friends dying horribly.

Nikita

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42926 on: September 07, 2015, 08:35:53 pm »

A fortress of 120 dwarves, half of them specializing in one task only... and 0 idlers.

Efficiency, HO!

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42927 on: September 07, 2015, 08:55:38 pm »

Another ten statue order post-trade with the home caravan. 8 out of 10 ended up epicting various large breeds of khajiit killing maormer.

I'm starting to think this mason just doesn't like maormer. This has made me strongly consider going out of my way to piss them off.

I sent the smug Kovalas, "leader" of the dwemer post's militia, to slay a mighty beast! A giant snail, which he killed by kicking it in the face repeatedly. Big hero. Also ordered materials to make dwemer metal (the mod makes it an alloy of bronze and brass,) since it's only appropriate I make my soldiers' equipment from that, and I need it to make any menacing soul-and-steam-powered killdroids anyway.

Nikita

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42928 on: September 08, 2015, 12:19:55 pm »

I sent 12 hammerdwarves to deal with an entire army of goblins and trolls. Turns out the latter were made out of dead.

Then the dwarven caravan came. My military decided to arbitrarily murder exactly half of them, but left the other half alone (and were left alone by the un-murdered guards). Then they went back to their barracks like nothing happened.

Such is life in Dwarf Fortress.

SyrusLD

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #42929 on: September 08, 2015, 01:50:14 pm »

Violentlash now has two Bronze Colossi as decoration in a cage in the middle of the alcohol stockpile (which is in the middle of the meeting room/dining hall).
One of them has been in that cage for a few decades already.

I also killed off some of my Jabberers so they'd start breeding again - I got 117 now!

Sadly nothing else really happened besides that. Just the usual goblinite deliveries and such. Had another visitor pop up in that place below places, didn't last long either.

I'm kind of surprised by how little deaths of old age I had so far, considering that the fortress is running in its 52nd year already and quite a few of the migrants were already close to or over 100 years old. The outpost liaison and one of the human diplomats have died (presumably of old age) though, they were replaced by others later.

Will be really interesting whenever I finally decide to retire the old lady and start anew with the same civilization.

Violentlash. The fortress of not really doing much, it feels like, but then again, the goal just lies in seeing what happens over time in a very old fortress.
In Remembrance of Bengel Hairybasement,
Strangler of a Sasquatch, Troglodytes and a Cyclops,
Slayer of a Giantess, whom he burned alive.
Died in a Heroic Fight with a Grizzly Bear.
Pages: 1 ... 2860 2861 [2862] 2863 2864 ... 3842