Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2859 2860 [2861] 2862 2863 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6100970 times)

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #42900 on: September 03, 2015, 06:43:20 pm »

An elven caravan just arrived.  They decided to take the scenic route through the corner of the map that has evil gas clouds that makes people fall asleep and makes their flesh rot off.

Edit: Interestingly, some one-humped and two-humped camels were some of their pack animals.  The gas clouds are making their flesh rot off on every part of their bodies except for their humps.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 06:45:24 pm by Bouchart »

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #42901 on: September 03, 2015, 07:28:26 pm »

My awesome fortress, which I'd hoped would have a great, long life, has developed a reliable segfault. Load game, unpause, wait two seconds, crash. HFS I could've handled. Death by goblin raid or necromantic ambush, I could've handled. Even FPS death, I could've handled. But not this way.

Farewell, Lanterngroove. I'll miss you.

You should submit the save to the bugtracker, a reliable crash should be somewhat easier to track down.
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #42902 on: September 03, 2015, 07:58:51 pm »

Started an oceanside fort, just to try something new. ((All my previous forts have been riverside, generally inland, sometimes on cliffs))

3*3 Joyous Wilds, surface spans an easy 2 z-levels ((with a third being the actual ocean)), waves out of the way, not too many trees/plants, a [region-pops list SEA_SERPENT] of 21...

But the most unhelpful chert in the history of chert.
Seriously, I've got a ton of chert rocks in my workshop area that my dwarves flat-out REFUSE to move. They're not forbidden, and they've been marked for dumping for at least two seasons ((sans the bit where I unmarked them and then set up a chert stockpile. Still weren't moved))

Truly, this will be my toughest fort yet, where even the stones do not follow my bidding ((nor the autodump's bidding))

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42903 on: September 03, 2015, 09:13:53 pm »

My dwarves keep getting stuck in trees whilst gathering plants.
I'm not sure if other dwarves are being dicks and taking their stepladders, or if the trees are actually growing beneath them while they remain in one place. Either way, two dwarves died before the trees could be cut down. Damnit. ::)
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

escondida

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42904 on: September 04, 2015, 12:04:32 am »

My awesome fortress, which I'd hoped would have a great, long life, has developed a reliable segfault. Load game, unpause, wait two seconds, crash. HFS I could've handled. Death by goblin raid or necromantic ambush, I could've handled. Even FPS death, I could've handled. But not this way.

Farewell, Lanterngroove. I'll miss you.

You should submit the save to the bugtracker, a reliable crash should be somewhat easier to track down.

Actually, after fiddling with it for...a while...I discovered what it was: either a tree grew through a tile where I'd planned a floor, or I foolishly tried to place a floor over preexisting leaves, that known crash-bug. Cancelled the floor, and all was well! Let me tell you, that was a happy discovery.

Nikita

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42905 on: September 04, 2015, 12:26:51 am »

Today I had been betrayed by my dwarven kin. A merchant's guard went ax-crazy for no reason and killed 3 dwarves, injured 5 before I took notice and sent my militia to take a look.

Thanks to the good Doctor, none of the injured dwarves had died.

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #42906 on: September 04, 2015, 01:51:05 am »

Two of my web collectors are currently engaged in 2v1 fisticuffs with a Giant Toad

Right now it's more of a sleep-off duel, but hopefully one of my miners walks past and takes pity.

E: A third web collector has joined the fray
E2: A miner joined the fray... With her fists. :/
E3: After about five other dwarves and a good ten minutes of ORAORAORAORAORA, it finally died.

Loving this fort~
« Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 02:06:20 am by Lolfail0009 »

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #42907 on: September 04, 2015, 02:41:01 am »

I've had good results with conscripting miners and ordering them to equip the pick they just dropped specifically.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

GiantCaveMushroom

• Bay Watcher
  • Born Pessimist
    • View Profile
« Reply #42908 on: September 04, 2015, 07:17:43 am »

Not quite sure how, but I have finally managed to make the dwarves dump some owned XclothesX on the floor by simultaneously forbidding and marking them for dumping. I am now witnessing a line of dwarves tossing random articles of clothing into a pit of magma.

It was a wonderful and amazing sight. I'm so happy right now.

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42909 on: September 04, 2015, 02:46:51 pm »

OH FUCK WINDSTOCKADE IS BEING INVADED BY A HUMAN

...it is terrifying.

Well, so much for that "human" haha. I hafta check legends for werecritters, iterestin shit.

E:Tipical werecritter

haha, after 120 yrs u get pwnd by windstockade
« Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 03:21:25 pm by SirQuiamus »

Calidovi

• Bay Watcher
  • agnus dei
    • View Profile
« Reply #42910 on: September 04, 2015, 03:33:09 pm »

snip

A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.

OH NO OH NONHONOH NOT THE AMBITION
« Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 07:57:53 pm by Laptisen »

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42911 on: September 04, 2015, 07:55:15 pm »

Retired the fort after the dragon due to excessive dullness.  Nothing ever showed up.  "Savage wilds" my butt.  Didn't even get an FB.

New embark is half savage desert, half haunted jungle.  Jungle is prone to rains of goblin blood and home to lovely glumprong and sliver barb, but otherwise unremarkable.  Necromancer came to visit with a few friends and ended up caged, stripped and baptized in the blood of Armok.  Knew he'd convert when he saw the light!
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

escondida

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42912 on: September 04, 2015, 10:40:12 pm »

The militia took down another forgotten beast--this one, a giant, feathered snake with a poisonous sting. My favorite moment in the battle had to be when one of my fearsome Beastslayers decided to bite the skyscraper-sized serpent in the neck.

After years of work, all three cavern layers are secured--each has a single, drawbridge-controlled and cage-trapped way into the dwarf-controlled center. Thanks to the cage traps, my animal trainer has become not only the world's expert on buzzards, but now on crundles and elk birds, too.

One out of every ten pieces of clothing is made from indestructible, everlasting (thanks to the dfhack plugin that deals with the pesky "candy cloth wears out" bug) candy cloth. Beautiful!

I've finally, *finally* had my militia slaughter nearly all of my accumulated prisoners, save for most of the world's surviving necromancers, whom I'm saving for...projects.

Two terrible construction accidents happened on the same day. Yes, two clumsy tower-builders managed to drop two floors onto two imprisoned bloodsucking fiends. What a terrible day that was. Turns out that one of the leeches, whose real name was Nedun Romancestroked, truly was a monster. Over the last hundred fifty years, he managed to murder more than four thousand people. Fortunately, only a hundred or so were dwarves. He seemed to have a real taste for my civilization's mortal enemy, the humans; I suppose that if you're cursed to be a bloodsucking freak of nature, you may as well be a *patriotic* bloodsucking freak of nature. Or something.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42913 on: September 04, 2015, 11:54:11 pm »

Had a "vile force of darkness" show up earlier.
There actually weren't that many goblins, but probably still plenty enough to wipe out my fort- I only have a little military and no other defences, since before that the only enemies we'd seen were kobold thieves. Fortunately, they just murdered one lone fisherdwarf who was unlucky enough to be at the creek they appeared next to, then chased down a cat and stabbed it to bits before leaving.

Ooookay then.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #42914 on: September 05, 2015, 07:35:20 pm »

Because fuck cats, yo.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com
Pages: 1 ... 2859 2860 [2861] 2862 2863 ... 3842