Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2835 2836 [2837] 2838 2839 ... 3839

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5969375 times)

TheCheeseMaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #42540 on: July 28, 2015, 10:48:46 pm »

I recently lost 12 of my 16 military dwarves to a necromancer siege. Only the marksdwarves (who didn't participate in the battle) survived. The siege was defeated through liberal use of traps. 

Not 10 seconds later, a goblin siege shows up, so I send in the marksdwarves and they all die except for 1. I draft a random noob and he manages to massacre the remaining goblins where the elite legendary +5 marksdwarves failed.

THEN, 10 seconds after this a forgotten beast shows up, so I send the noob and the last marksdwarf to fight it. They, of course, are massacred and the beast rampages through my fort, the dwarves only killing it by a luck shot from a draftee.

Within 1/2 an hour of play, I went from one of my most successful fortress (only one death in 5 years) to a train wreck on par with some of my fist fortresses.

I love this game.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 10:51:04 pm by TheCheeseMaker »
As it turns out, pulling every lever in the fortress wasn't as good of an idea as it sounded like at the time.

MobRules

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42541 on: July 28, 2015, 11:18:41 pm »

FPS death was getting annoying, so I decided to make my first foray into the HFS.

Damn clowns slow down the FPS an order of magnitude more than things were previously... (The only reason it says "1 FPS" is because it's (barely) non-zero and the display doesn't do fractions. REally should be SPF...)

I don't think that a high SPF will do any good in blocking out the hellish flames /s
Very true :).

(My favorite was the Steam Banshee)
Ninja dragons! Protect the masterwork roasts!
Is this biome reanimating? I really don't want to know what happens when "absurd numbers of megabeasts" is combined with "reanimating biomes".

soulsource

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42542 on: July 29, 2015, 05:00:58 am »

The axedwarf that was injured when I sent the army after raven corpses attacking migrants has died. Obviously the doctors didn't get thread early enough to suture all his wounds, so he kept on loosing blood...

Also, one of the glassmakers decided to demand silk cloth for a strange mood, so now I'm rushing to find the caverns just to gather a single web and have it spun as fast as possible. With a little bit of luck, the caravan from the mountainhome will arrive be for he goes crazy, but as there are undead ravens around, I'm not sure if the traders will make it to my depot. I'm currently considering sending out the soldiers to deal with the ravens, but they are still lacking parts of their armor, so that attacking the birds will probably cause casualties...

On the bright side, while digging down towards the caverns cassiterite was found, meaning that my soldiers will soon be able to upgrade their equipment from copper to bronze.
Quote from: Porkins Windu
Really, DF and Metal are practically the same. Drunkenness, Death, Depression, Depravity, Despondence, Demons, Dementia, Darkness. And thats just the D's!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #42543 on: July 29, 2015, 08:35:31 am »

ravens are small enough that gibbing their bitis fairly easy.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

customlemon

• Bay Watcher
  • Not a morning person
    • View Profile
« Reply #42544 on: July 29, 2015, 02:35:22 pm »

A bone doctor got punished for not producing anvils.
While in prison, 'He felt pleasure near a fine Restraint'
So the hammerer gelded him 'accidentally'.
Now he feels free...

In other news:
My 1st functional magma pump stack is working properly. As it turns out even injured goblins are faster than fire  :(

Edit:
Nice - a trader constructed an artifact bow. It depicts a goblin becoming a dwarven baron. I want him in my fortress :D
« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 03:01:32 pm by customlemon »
Needs !!FUN!! to get through the working day

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42545 on: July 29, 2015, 03:58:46 pm »

Finally caught a male Voracious Cave Crawler; now I can start a breeding program with those wonderful beasts. For some reason the animals went into a state of deep anguish when they were moved from their cages to their breeding area and refused to move for a long time. Haven't seen that before.

Other thing I haven't seen before is that most of the civilian population in Copperfell is "nervous not having adequate protection." What exactly does that mean? They're not missing any essential clothing and my militia, though small, is more than enough to protect the fortress.
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #42546 on: July 29, 2015, 05:17:22 pm »

Other thing I haven't seen before is that most of the civilian population in Copperfell is "nervous not having adequate protection." What exactly does that mean? They're not missing any essential clothing and my militia, though small, is more than enough to protect the fortress.

Looks like you'll be getting a few dwarven babies pretty soon, then :P
One wheel short of a wagon

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42547 on: July 29, 2015, 05:42:43 pm »

Looks like you'll be getting a few dwarven babies pretty soon, then :P

Hmmm... the dwarves have been unusually fertile in this fort, almost .40.07 fertile. But how do I go on with acquiring adequate "protection?" Is there a workshop task for producing dwarven... protective devices? I imagine they'll be made out of leather, probably menacing with spikes of something, them being dwarven and all.

But seriously, even babies are nervous about the protection thing. What could it be?

Uhhh... welcome?

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #42548 on: July 29, 2015, 05:45:27 pm »

No military? No captain of the guard?

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42549 on: July 29, 2015, 05:56:15 pm »

Law enforcement could be the key. There are dozens of unpunished production violations courtesy of the resident exile Duke of Questedstake. He has sentenced a sizeable chunk of the population to prison and citizens might be thinking they are living in a crime zone when the violators run around freely.

Uhhh... welcome?

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #42550 on: July 29, 2015, 05:57:39 pm »

Law enforcement could be the key. There are dozens of unpunished production violations courtesy of the resident exile Duke of Questedstake. He has sentenced a sizeable chunk of the population to prison and citizens might be thinking they are living in a crime zone when the violators run around freely.

Wait, in which  longstanding fortress would the dwarves not have reason to think this?
One wheel short of a wagon

Oda

• Bay Watcher
  • Misery used Lurk! It was super-effective!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42551 on: July 29, 2015, 06:00:03 pm »

Keas are becoming a problem, stealing my stuffs.

I don't really have the heart to send out a squad to attack defenceless parrots either.  :(
Hi! Feel free to talk to me, I don't bite often.

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42552 on: July 29, 2015, 06:08:53 pm »

How could things go so, so wrong?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

His name translates to "Ocda Helpfulgrips the Hood of Crushing".  Sounds like a wereelephant to me...
« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 07:13:06 pm by Iamblichos »
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #42553 on: July 29, 2015, 08:06:00 pm »

Capybaras in my area have killed a war dog and an invading goblin.  The former was being itself and the later fell into a pond and the capybara ripped it up.  They also attacked Utes the troll :|

The little buggers are even attacking my cleanup crews!
« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 08:08:26 pm by pisskop »
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Aristion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42554 on: July 29, 2015, 09:16:51 pm »

Capybaras in my area have killed a war dog and an invading goblin.  The former was being itself and the later fell into a pond and the capybara ripped it up.  They also attacked Utes the troll :|

The little buggers are even attacking my cleanup crews!

Aren't those guinea pigs? Terrifying.
I kept imagining this guy go "By Armok, not the dead roaches! Oh gods the hamsters oh the dwarfmanity!"
Devotes several hours a day making vampires an endangered species.
Pages: 1 ... 2835 2836 [2837] 2838 2839 ... 3839