Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2832 2833 [2834] 2835 2836 ... 3839

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5972770 times)

NESgamer190

• Bay Watcher
  • Crundle hugger
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #42495 on: July 24, 2015, 02:27:10 pm »

Cue a forgotten beast of a giant serpent with poison gas massacring a good sum of my fortress population at the second cave level, and a good chunk of my military just from physical combat.  Unfortunately, the vile beast has proven too much for my entire fortress on the whole, its poison knocking my dwarves out cold so it'd promptly devour them.

Alas, rocksiege has fallen...  Fallen to the towering three-eyed serpent with a knobby shell and undulating rhythmically, whose brass scales were oval-shaped and set far apart.

Edit:  Attempts to reclaim have met with failure.  Alas, Rocksiege will forevermore be known as the home of the forgotten beast.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2015, 02:43:59 pm by NESgamer190 »

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #42496 on: July 24, 2015, 10:12:37 pm »

I'm nearly done with the mod I started work on a few weeks ago. It's not really a total conversion, but it does add a minotaur civilization even more hellbent than the goblins, and it changes a bunch of tags on a bunch of animals to make things more interesting. The most dangerous thing I added was the Titanic cave crocodile, a megabeast that is very much worth capturing and taming. (Always wanted war Titanic cave crocodilesplosions.)

For anyone who wants to read the whole thing, here's the list of changes (excluding the creature_mod.txt and other new files):

TL;DR: I deleted all animal people, added a bunch of [TRAINABLE] and [TRAINABLE_WAR] tags, made minotaurs a civilization, and am in the process of making actual griffons. (Body parts and detail plans are so confusing.)
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

AlBravo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42497 on: July 26, 2015, 02:16:50 am »

Easing back into DF again.  Decided I wanted an easy embark.  So I spent a few hours genning worlds until I found what I wanted.  A forested volcano right off the ocean with steep cliffs overlooking the beach.  I even have beautiful fruit and nut trees to boot.  My first migrant wave arrives and I notice one dorf in the surf.  Looking closer shows he has dropped a glove.  I examine him and see he is missing his lower left arm and he is permanently blind.  I guess an ocean wave crashed over him as he spawned in.  So now I have a one armed blind brewer.

Edit:  I got another one today in the next wave of dwarves.  He is missing the exact same lower arm and blind.  This is going to be an interesting fort.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2015, 03:18:32 pm by AlBravo »
Ancient Avatar

PyroTechno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42498 on: July 26, 2015, 08:00:29 am »

Easing back into DF again.  Decided I wanted an easy embark.  So I spent a few hours genning worlds until I found what I wanted.  A forested volcano right off the ocean with steep cliffs overlooking the beach.  I even have beautiful fruit and nut trees to boot.  My first migrant wave arrives and I notice one dorf in the surf.  Looking closer shows he has dropped a glove.  I examine him and see he is missing his lower left arm and he is permanently blind.  I guess an ocean wave crashed over him as he spawned in.  So now I have a one armed blind brewer.

What could possibly go wrong?

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42499 on: July 26, 2015, 01:34:28 pm »

What could possibly go wrong?

"Hey, Urist *hic* thish shtuff ish *hic* really shtrong. Whatcha put in it *hic*?"
"Iunno, Litast. *hic* Jusht grabbed whaever wash there in the shtill'sh general vichinity."
"I guessh that'sh why it tashtes *hic* like crundle eggsh and forgotten beasht inteshtinesh..."
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42500 on: July 26, 2015, 05:18:15 pm »

building my arena & 'zoo' so far i have 5 blind cave ogres, 3 trolls, to many elk birds, and 5 balls of fleash... why do i sound like i'm saying a recipe for forgotten beast spaghetti?
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Calidovi

• Bay Watcher
  • agnus dei
    • View Profile
« Reply #42501 on: July 26, 2015, 05:35:40 pm »

Everything keeps freezing over, and I'm not confident enough to breach the first cavern. RIP Urist McInfected.

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42502 on: July 26, 2015, 06:05:29 pm »

Well, good news first:
- waterfall is now fully operational and safe.
- most dead are now burried or at least memorialized.
- migrant influx restored our population from 1 to about 20. Now it's about 10.
- 7 of those dwarves are useful.

Bad news:
- 3 of those dwarves are werecavys. They will be awesome fighting machines I'm sure, but right now they're just... deadly. Good news is that they have their own burry being made. And they're already pretty good wrestlers.

edit: and now I learned more about werecavys. Apparently if they're training... they turn... and they come back - they will just wale on each other for a while. I now have 2 werecavys.

edit: and my burrows didn't hold correctly... 1 werecavy left. Well that's stupid.

edit: or not... it just happens to be spreading in the fort.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2015, 06:26:50 pm by malimbar04 »
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

Geallen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42503 on: July 26, 2015, 08:51:28 pm »

Well everything is peachy here at Tiredblockades, two forgetten beasts down without any loses(They weren't hard ones mind you). An goblin invasion was owned quite awhile ago.

However recently I lost two of my veteran fighters(A Skilled Hammerer, and Master Crosbowmen which was also the Militia Commander) to a named Giant cave spider(2 kills under its belt before hand). But it was slayed in the end.

A month and a half later in spring, my weavers are now non-chalantly killing unnamed Giant Cave Spiders with their fists. None of them have died yet, and every punch of dwarven glory seems to burst open the chitin and blow open an artery. Maybe I should employ my jack hammer weavers as wrestlers.

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42504 on: July 26, 2015, 09:12:46 pm »

For the first time in my Dwarf Fortress play history, a werecreature attack has left my fortress with several casualties.

Six dwarves were bitten and survived during the attack before a war elephant ran her tusk through the weregopher (earning herself the name Earthenheats). All six were swiftly imprisoned and we waited for the next full moon. On the 21st of Felsite, Urvad Tatrith the Siege Engineer and Obok Lalturled the Stonecrafter both turned in their cells. For Obok, this was both a blessing and a curse, because his injuries were the most life-threatening among the six who were imprisoned. The other four will be let out and will return to their normal lives.

Obok and Urvad will be cellmates. They will be issued weapons and shields and they will train together for the rest of their lives to be the crack troops of last resort. If all else fails, they will be unleashed on whatever force comes to siege the fort.

The three dwarves who lost their lives to the gopher will be remembered as heroes. Obok and Urvad will have to earn that title.

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
  • Imagine a working link to Rickroll here
    • View Profile
« Reply #42505 on: July 26, 2015, 09:23:00 pm »

For the first time in my Dwarf Fortress play history, a werecreature attack has left my fortress with several casualties.

Six dwarves were bitten and survived during the attack before a war elephant ran her tusk through the weregopher (earning herself the name Earthenheats). All six were swiftly imprisoned and we waited for the next full moon. On the 21st of Felsite, Urvad Tatrith the Siege Engineer and Obok Lalturled the Stonecrafter both turned in their cells. For Obok, this was both a blessing and a curse, because his injuries were the most life-threatening among the six who were imprisoned. The other four will be let out and will return to their normal lives.

Obok and Urvad will be cellmates. They will be issued weapons and shields and they will train together for the rest of their lives to be the crack troops of last resort. If all else fails, they will be unleashed on whatever force comes to siege the fort.

The three dwarves who lost their lives to the gopher will be remembered as heroes. Obok and Urvad will have to earn that title.
I salute those brave little manic depressive drunks!
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Ravioli Ravioli, the old broad died so now I play a Demon Loli.
Sig-texts!

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42506 on: July 26, 2015, 09:40:51 pm »

Update: On their first turning together, on the 19th of Hematite, Urvad and Obok attacked one another inexplicably. Something has gone wrong with their loyalties and I doubt I will be able to keep them from eating each other alive.

I don't know what's going on. They were supposed to be brothers in arms...

One of the two should survive at least. They fought for a while after they transformed back into dwarven form, and Obok got the worst of it. Now they're both running around the cell, mutually terrified of one another. I wonder if this cycle will repeat.

Edit: Another correction: Obok is male. Urvad is female.

They're both naked in the cell right now. This... is... weird...

Edit2: Urvad killed Obok when they both transformed on the 17th of Malachite. I suppose one supersoldier will be sufficient for now. I wonder what caused them to do that to one another...
« Last Edit: July 26, 2015, 09:48:44 pm by ImagoDeo »

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42507 on: July 26, 2015, 09:59:22 pm »

Urvad is just standing there over the corpse of Obok, staring as though trying to come to terms with what she's done. I tried to make her a militia captain and assign her a uniform but she still won't move. The burrow setup isn't changing anything either no matter what I do.

I'm afraid to have normal dwarves in there with her because I have no idea where her loyalties lie right now. Perhaps I will be forced to leave her to her own devices until death takes her via insanity...

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42508 on: July 27, 2015, 12:05:40 am »

Once again, wiki to the rescue:

Quote from: The Wiki
An important thing to remember is the following: If two or more transformed dwarves have any sort of active military order (either from an alert or direct orders), and can see each other at the moment they change back from Wereform, then they will instantly begin fighting to the death, causing a loyalty cascade. To avoid this, either train your were-soldiers alone in separate rooms (slower due to lack of sparring), or make sure to set their alert to Inactive and cancel all their orders before they change back to dwarves. Once they've changed back, they can be set to train or given orders again. If they do start fighting each other, canceling all their orders and setting them to Inactive will make them stop.

Too bad. Urvad is still chilling in her cell. I set her to wield a copper flail. She's training in there alone right now. I'll have to see what eventually happens. Once I get her decked out in full steel gear, it'll be a small matter to get her to put it back on after every transformation. She can be the infinihealing supersoldier, if nothing else.

HDSlugMoar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42509 on: July 27, 2015, 12:15:21 am »

Moved my depot into the caverns and got the human caravan to leave the site via the caverns, which was pretty neat.  Have to see if the dwarves do the same.
Attempted to capture an elven caravan once, they also escaped through caves while I was busy fighting some blind cave ogres.
Pages: 1 ... 2832 2833 [2834] 2835 2836 ... 3839