Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2807 2808 [2809] 2810 2811 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6118546 times)

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #42120 on: June 27, 2015, 05:18:34 pm »

Just my luck, that stupid dwarven clothier got a "mood", "stacked cloth" and "rough gems" he require.

I have plenty of rough and cut gems and i have pig fiber thread and silk thread, so i urgently build a loom as i never usually care about this, and fortunately there's a recently arrived migrant that had some skill in weaving.

So be it, some incoming cloth in no time.
Hey, look at that fiber cloth ? no , not interested ?
oh well, hey look at that silk cloth ? no , not interested ?
What the hell is wrong with you ?

Of course i know it's yarn cloth what you want, because you perfectly know i have no yarn of any kind and there's no animal on the whole map that i can shear some wool from, so it's obviously what you want because you know i have no way to have some before that merchant caravan that you perfectly know will only come too late after you will have gone insane.

Damn dwarven clothiers and their moods, even more annoying than those elves and their wood.
:D

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42121 on: June 27, 2015, 07:21:22 pm »

Future zombie waves will be enmagmafied without stripping.  The amount of clothing I retrieved has paralyzed my fort.  Not only is my FPS in the mid-teens, none of the dwarves want to do anything other than shuttle clothing around like 80 hoarders in the King's Daughters Thrift Store.
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #42122 on: June 27, 2015, 09:49:00 pm »

I wasn't looking for it that soon without being prepared, but hey, praise the miners !
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Now to avoid that section for a long while.

kontako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42123 on: June 27, 2015, 10:10:16 pm »

In one of my forts, I had just butchered a starving horse as to not create miasma clouds inside. Immediately after, one of my dwarves received a strange mood and made a dolomite quern, bound with the leather of that specific horse. The quern bared the image of the horse laying in a fetal position, referring to its execution.

Immediately after this, I had one of my craftsdwarves make a totem out of the horses skull and then lock it into a room along with all of the associated bones. Finally, I constructed the quern in that room and locked it up so that it may never see the light of day again.

It is my suspicion that the spirit of this horse had possessed my dwarf and instructed them to make this quern. I pray every day that this spirit has been locked in the room, never to haunt my dwarves again.

Here's a little something i made to commemorate the event:

"Confederacy of Businesses"?! By Armok's Blood! These Communist animals are CAPITALISTS!
"This town ain't big enough for the two of us, turkey"
*gobbles menacingly*

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #42124 on: June 28, 2015, 03:17:43 am »

Do dwarves really make artifacts/images/engravings about stuff that just happened, if they see it? Like an historical event, but on a small scale and only briefly relevant to them?

Or was the killing of your horse so interesting that the merchants'll be telling people about it for weeks? :P
One wheel short of a wagon

kontako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42125 on: June 28, 2015, 03:29:28 am »

I think if it's happened it's available to be engraved, even some things that haven't happened yet can be engraved. By which I mean, certain artefacts commemorate their own construction in images they bear.

As far as I'm concerned, the horse was possessed by a bloodthirsty demon. I'm sure the dwarves will be talking to each other about their triumph for months to come.
"Confederacy of Businesses"?! By Armok's Blood! These Communist animals are CAPITALISTS!
"This town ain't big enough for the two of us, turkey"
*gobbles menacingly*

Foxite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42126 on: June 28, 2015, 06:34:14 am »

Building a pump stack, all the way from the magma layer up to my fort, to have magma-powered forges and smelters running before I run out of coal. Which, I should add, was pretty soon, considering that it happened while I was making tons of iron pipe sections, iron corkscrews, and half iron blocks-half magma safe rock blocks. Guess I have to do the rest on charcoal. Luckily I have a huge abundance of wood. Sadly this means I have to suspend the production of iron pump parts until I have enough charcoal to resume.

I am done with the pump housing, and now I just need to dig a vertical shaft next to the housing to have axles. That's because the pump stack is not one large stacks, but because of the caverns I have to make turns. Good stuff... I need far more power now because of all the axles and gear assemblies. But the first time I built pump stack from the caverns (for water) I already made far too much windmills than necessary, generating 880 power when only needing 400 for the pumps.

What is funny is that I started digging the shaft three real minutes ago and it already claimed one life. Luckily not a very experienced miner. Seriously though, can't dwarves just dig straight down instead of periodically skipping one layer, and when someone else digs out that one, standing right under it so that the 3 falling rocks, each weighing 29.2 kg, will hit their heads?

Edit:

I looked it up because of my solid boredom. The formula for the terminal velocity without air resistance is terminal velocity = sqrt((2 x mass in g x acceleration due to gravity) / (density of air in g/cm3 x area of object x drag coefficent)). I took the drag coefficient to be that of a sphere, or 0.47.

That makes that the terminal velocity of a gabbro rock is sqrt((2 x 0.0292 x 2861.6) / (0.001225 x 21.5443469 x .47) = 116.071941. That's 417.8 km/h, or 259.6 mph. I think that's terribly incorrect, but since I have no idea what mistake I made in my calculation, I'm going to assume that that's it.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 06:58:01 am by latias1290 »
The best way to demonstrate it to him is take a save of 40 year old fortress with 150 dwarves in it on a good sized embark with a volcano that just breached the circus and install it on his gaming rig and watch it bring his rig to its knees.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #42127 on: June 28, 2015, 07:31:28 am »

Do dwarves really make artifacts/images/engravings about stuff that just happened, if they see it? Like an historical event, but on a small scale and only briefly relevant to them?

Sometime they do what they just saw, that can lead into odd artifacts with recursive decoration, like that one i just got on one of my current fort :

It's basically an artifact that has an image of itself on it on it

Raikaria

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42128 on: June 28, 2015, 08:03:18 am »

Yeah my military got bit. Then they turned and I now have a spiral of Werebeasts and Tantrums.

Genned a new world; and pretty much everything is in the Southern Hemisphere. The North is like; 3 tiny islands.

Anyway; I knew things were interesting when my Liaison showed up and had tons of news; including... an AI reclamation? Wat.

Before the first year is up; I've had a Kobold Thief; hit Caverns 1 [They were very shallow...] and discovered I have a lot of Flux [Specifically Chalk]. I've never made Steel before; in fact 90% of the time I have to settle for Copper; so here's hoping I find some Iron as well. Interestingly; unlikle last game where I had Elf and Human neighbours as well; the Elves sent no Year 1 Caravan; but that said the game did start in mid-Spring so maybe they're coming next year. Humans showed up Year 3 last time.

But yeah; I don't usually hit caverns this soon. I'm not ready for them yet. All my Urists have jobs keeping ther fort running since I only have ~20. I can't make a military with them right now, I need the next wave for that. Then I need Cage Traps since maybe I can catch some of the large amount of Elk Birds down there; and I need a Bridge in the event of FB too early...

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #42129 on: June 28, 2015, 08:40:48 am »

Here's a little something i made to commemorate the event:

I would like to steal this for use.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42130 on: June 28, 2015, 10:25:48 am »

Second armourer gets a strange mood. Can't remember what "fey" means, am sure that it is fine.

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42131 on: June 28, 2015, 10:34:52 am »

Violentgorges met a violent end.  Opening the drawbridge because my master armorer got trapped outside... it wasn't closed in time to prevent one undead soldier from slipping inside.  Since my military had been recently decimated by the Hairy Tarantula Incident, there was nobody to stop the wanton slaughter.
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42132 on: June 28, 2015, 10:45:54 am »

Not sure if its my most valuable roast, but its certainly the roundest number: a masterwork water bufffalo cheese roast worth exactly 10,000 urists, with 25 urists of food exactly. Nice round number, an especially good treat in the middle of an expansive strange mood I having all I need for.

Speaking of which, how's bismuth for armour?

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42133 on: June 28, 2015, 11:37:10 am »

Ok, this is bullshit. After stinging a giant toad through the guts, then pincering its head and continually goring both its eye sockets to a bloody mess before slicing its head off, and murdering a fisherdwarf, a giant feather scorpion is now running away from my army. Bleeding coward, supposed to be a mindless killing machine.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #42134 on: June 28, 2015, 11:55:30 am »

With all that cave adaptation thing, it looks like the merchants visits are agood opportunity for a contest of ... vomit

The whole bridge and entrance corridor is green , the whole distance is covered in vomit...

And those disgusting vomit-machines they call dwarves do not even try to clean their horrible mess, no wonder goblins didn't came back from their ridiculous mini siege attempt a couple of years ago.
Pages: 1 ... 2807 2808 [2809] 2810 2811 ... 3842