Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2806 2807 [2808] 2809 2810 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6118489 times)

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #42105 on: June 26, 2015, 04:40:59 pm »

This is the world and not the fort, but . . .
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I did not mod this in, I swear.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #42106 on: June 26, 2015, 04:43:41 pm »

Okay, so I'm starting a new fort. The entrance will simply be a 1x1 stairway that'll have a bridge shutter over it, connected to a lever.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #42107 on: June 26, 2015, 04:46:58 pm »

This is the world and not the fort, but . . .
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I did not mod this in, I swear.

Wow, you made New Zealand :P
One wheel short of a wagon

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #42108 on: June 26, 2015, 06:33:26 pm »

OK, so I wasn't playing for most of this week...

But in current events in Steamplains, it's now the Winter of the third year. 

The current status is safe, prosperous, and annoyed. 

My waterwheel reactor designs are generally failures.  After expanding the mechanisms attached to the magma reservoir-adjacent pump to include some axles to send power to a millstone and wanting to have some extra power, I expanded my reservoir size and the number of waterwheels, and encountered a problem of the pump not evenly keeping all waterwheels working.  Now, I am giving up on the dwarven perpetual motion device, and I'm using a different exploit to provide infinite power via using my magma drain to the edge of the map as a temporary water drain that should make all those tiles of reservoir a permanent flow, according to the wiki.  I haven't tried this trick before, so hopefully I'm not going to wind up smashing my head into the desk finding out it STILL doesn't work...

My magma pump also suffered a notable setback when ITS (separate) water reactor leaked some water up over the walls, following the axle path, down the gears, onto the magma pump, and into the magma, obsidian casting my magma source.  *FACEPALM*  Now I have to excavate the whole thing, build a gear assembly to pass power UP, OVER, and BACK DOWN to make sure there is no horizontal path for spilling water to reach my magma pump.

Basically, this is my project for nearly this whole year, and it's just stymied...

In other news, I can't get my GCS to spit webs, although that's only going to be a problem when I have an FB I want to catch with webbed cage traps for now.  I apparently need to send military dwarves, because civilians and chained keets just don't cut it, anymore. 

I also have failed to catch anything in the first cavern traps recently.  A giant toad (which would have made me a mating pair) refused to chase the bait for some reason.  I'm excavating a new set of traps in the lower caverns, including a path through the magma to possibly catch some magma crabs.  (Although I have yet to get magma industries up due to an obisidianed magma pump, so I have no glass cages to actually catch them, anyway.)

In other news, previously, I had stated that one legendary weaponsmith of mine had been hit by a roving dwarf-seeking log in what is such a fantastic coincidence of stupid behavior by dwarves I am forced to presume it was purposeful.  After treatment, it turned out that she was hit in the lower spine, damaging the nervous tissue, and rendering her incapable of walking forever... or not.  It turns out being paraplegic is for wusses, and my weaponsmith simply walked out of her own treatment before the doctor could get to her.  The health menu quite clearly says that she's lost her ability to stand, and she's quite clearly flashing the red cross of a serious medical emergency, and she quite clearly doesn't give a crap, as she continues on her day doing heavy labor with a severed spinal column.  In the months since, her wound has become infected since she didn't get full treatment, (causing even faster red cross flashing on her sprite) but she still doesn't care.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2015, 08:07:53 pm by NW_Kohaku »
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Raikaria

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42109 on: June 27, 2015, 06:43:29 am »

My Urists seem to be aware that I'm building a military force. First one makes an Artifact Dog Bone Sheild; and then another one makes this:

Possibly the most awesome helmet ever. A jagged helm made of a turtle's shell; with spikes which can only be the fragments which didn't make the helm proper. It's got an image of another artifact on it.

Promptly gave this to the Milita Commander who also wields the Dog Bone Shield and a Silver War Hammer.

In other news; convinced that my Lv 1 Cavern is nothing but a MASSIVE underground lake; I've dug to Cavern 2. To find a bloodbath. Apparently there was a massive fight between Rodent Men; Crundles; Rutherers and a Voracious Cave Crawler. Either that or there's something else down there that I'm not yet aware of that is nasty.

Also the humans finally bothered to show up; with a massive amount of cloth and leather which I snapped up. I can use some extra clothing.

Edit: Oh; your first threat; a Werechameleon in a migrant wave! And it proceeds to single-handedly rip apart the human caravan which is leaving; and half my military. Includeing the Archers who were supposed to stay in the fortress and shoot from there; but instead rushed into melee. Despite having bolts.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2015, 06:58:04 am by Raikaria »

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #42110 on: June 27, 2015, 07:05:09 am »

My military commander now has three pieces of Artifact eqipment. A crundlebone shield, silver helm, and bronze breastplate. He also now has a named hammer.

And he's still depressed about those damn goblins he had to kill. Along with most of my military and quite a few civilians who were watching it.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42111 on: June 27, 2015, 09:07:55 am »

Violentgorges is rich in iron, gold and innumerable gems.  By the beginning of the third year, the fortress' wealth stood at almost 2 million Urists.  The proud inhabitants had withstood two undead sieges, slain a necromancer, a giant, and four werebeasts without an incident.  Life was good.

Turns out, necromancers have a very poor sense of humor.

A siege of 85 undead arrived, led by two dwarven corpses which were named but which had no profession.  Many were slain by the clever and ingenious serrated disc traps which lined the false entrance... others were caged by the many cage traps which had proved such a rich supplier of goblin, elven, human and dwarvish clothing for trade and consumption.  Still, there were far too many.  The fortress sealed the final gate and is now cut off from the overworld completely.

Can they survive?  Duthnur God of Fortresses alone knows.  Rumors fly in the deeps of secret weapons, secret plans, victory and abandonment and everything in between.
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

conein

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42112 on: June 27, 2015, 09:11:16 am »

I was thinking, as far as you have breedable animals and plump helmets you can live underground forever.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42113 on: June 27, 2015, 09:12:14 am »

Yea, but it hinders !!FUN!!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

NESgamer190

• Bay Watcher
  • Crundle hugger
    • View Profile
« Reply #42114 on: June 27, 2015, 09:49:50 am »

I was thinking, as far as you have breedable animals and plump helmets you can live underground forever.

Can't forget about the source of cloth!

In any case, my fortress also had a run-in with a forgotten beast made of ash.  Also luckily, it had nothing going for it.  (Cue one stab in center mass, and the beast becoming a pile of ash.)

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #42115 on: June 27, 2015, 09:54:48 am »

That's pretty useful, right?

If I ever get round to breaching HFS, what do I do with all the salt I might well be getting?
One wheel short of a wagon

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42116 on: June 27, 2015, 10:39:42 am »

Violentgorges endures.  Weapons traps did for over 20 of them.  The rest will be stripped and thrown in the lava.

Abominations of undeath are displeasing to Armok.

Bonus prize: A tribe of gray langurs decided the front entrance was too busy so wanted to come in the back.  Weapons traps turned them all into langur filets.  Minced langur roasts for dinner, y'all.
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42117 on: June 27, 2015, 10:41:16 am »

Undead horde. Huge one. Three Necromancers.

About to get....interesting.

Edit: 100 Undead Vs. 20 Dwarves.

Dwarves win! Ding ding! Some brave comrades lost among the way, but twelve still stand tall!
« Last Edit: June 27, 2015, 02:10:01 pm by Th4DwArfY1 »
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #42118 on: June 27, 2015, 03:01:16 pm »

To make my usual internal wells , i usually channel holes through a few Z levels, then dig a corridor on the bottom toward a river/brook, then dig in the wall a up/down stairs up to several Z levels leading into the river.

When the dwarf pierce the river bottom, he always quickly run down followed by lots of water , then go to the door so he can get back into my fort, while the water stay behind that door.
Now that was the usual method i was using, worked perfectly everytime i did that.

But not in 40.24 ,  oh all was going well, then after the water breaching , the dwarf ran down ... and probably he suddenly stopped running without any obvious reason and waited there for the water to get on him, then fill the whole area, killing him by drowning.

The door wasn't condemned/closed to movement, i had made sure of that when preparing (and checking after the "accident" proved it was)

While it's only embarassing to read the dwarves description that make their extreme level of emotion looking like they have orgasms by just seeing a barely working door, i suspect that extreme way emotion are working in that version of DF is also responsible of that dwarf very odd behaviour with that dwarf probably crying/terrified/pleasured/wathever by the water breach so much he ceased to move .

So be careful when trying to get your dwarves doing something dangerous, they may get an unexpected (in comparison to previous versions) death.
Oh well, the only pick of the fort is now lost, and winter does not seem to freeze water in that region so i'll probably never be able to make a dam and go get that pick back.

Hopefully i'll get some next time merchants come.

azrael4h

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Dwarf Fortress-centric You Tube videos, part of my nominally vintage gaming channel.
« Reply #42119 on: June 27, 2015, 04:13:01 pm »

I managed to survive the first year, largely by dumb luck. I didn't get a cistern built in time before the river froze, and I didn't get stills made before I ran out of booze. However, all is not lost, just almost lost. I have a bunch of eggs, around a week's worth of booze, and a cistern full of water and a well that is only partially constructed. And no one will build a depot.
Pages: 1 ... 2806 2807 [2808] 2809 2810 ... 3842