Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 278 279 [280] 281 282 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6100695 times)

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #4185 on: July 13, 2010, 03:30:15 am »

The only modding was [SPEED:0] and the NoExotic utility. Also, only one of them is male. Hmm.
くコ:彡

christopherj

• Escaped Lunatic
  • [PET_EXOTIC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4186 on: July 13, 2010, 03:51:17 am »

I just started my fortress, have about 30 dwarves, I am currently trying to create bedrooms, and build my military with axe and hammer dwarves, have about 6 war dogs.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #4187 on: July 13, 2010, 04:21:13 am »

Just started a new fort. I channeled deep to the aquifer so I could pass through once it froze. Since this site is froze 9 months of the year, this is taking a long time. While I'm doing this, using blocks from a worldgen road for construction, some giant ants (civ forge) came to visit. One of them ripped apart the fully-armoured outpost liason, the hammerdwarf caravan guard, and my bronze-armored militia commader, chomped a speardwarf in the leg, and escaped with a cheese. In the commotiuon, I negelected to unsusped the last tile on the roof of the hospital, so it didn't get finished. Two months later, a buzzard flies in and starts chewing on the speardwarf's face.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4188 on: July 13, 2010, 10:10:17 am »

I think I'm starting to feel the itch of a megaproject... well, maybe more of a semimegaproject.  I'm thinking of converting my already impractical (but badass) iron road into a 4 times as impractical (and 5 times as badass) iron tunnel, which will lead from the trade depot to several other important points on the map.  It will be mostly underground, and have lots of ways to kill people.  (Duh.)
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry... It's okay to sell quivers..."
I just ripped open a lions throat by biting it. Who's the lion now, bitch!

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4189 on: July 13, 2010, 11:35:17 am »

I'm bored with DF. Does anyone have any ideas for something I can do?

Maybe finish that mod I'm working on and start a succession fortress...
WHY DID YOU HAVE ME KICK THEM WTF I DID NOT WANT TO BE SHOT AT.
I dunno, you guys have survived Thomas the tank engine, golems, zombies, nuclear explosions, laser whales, and being on the same team as ragnarock.  I don't think something as tame as a world ending rain of lava will even slow you guys down.

Funtimes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4190 on: July 13, 2010, 12:11:11 pm »

I'm bored with DF. Does anyone have any ideas for something I can do?

Maybe finish that mod I'm working on and start a succession fortress...

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Challenge#Bandit_Camp

Or any other from that page. Or make a fort without metal, or survive without producing ANY goods.
Be ridiculous, it makes it interesting.

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4191 on: July 13, 2010, 12:30:36 pm »

Maybe I'll flood the cave system with magma.

EDIT:

"You have discovered a magma pool."

« Last Edit: July 13, 2010, 01:21:45 pm by Schilcote »
I dunno, you guys have survived Thomas the tank engine, golems, zombies, nuclear explosions, laser whales, and being on the same team as ragnarock.  I don't think something as tame as a world ending rain of lava will even slow you guys down.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4192 on: July 13, 2010, 01:30:55 pm »

New fort. Water-less tundra was fun but is soooo last Granite. This time...

FISHERY VILLAGE UP THE COAST :D

I have plans for few workshops, an inn, trade post, rows of longhouses, wall and some defense systems.

I just hope that the critters from my mod won't siege in the middle of first summer...

Also, I build aboveground. With wood only :D Like hummies~~

I know how to desalinate water via pump. Any tips or warnings so I won't wake up at Limestone and see dwarves dying? Are those lovely waves crashing on the beach deadly for bypassing dwarves? Also, I only see vermin fish.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Shogger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4193 on: July 13, 2010, 01:38:30 pm »

My newest fort had a minor digging disaster. I was digging away at a cliffside to make a large square courtyard (I like to have a small outdoor keep in most of my forts.) This left a bunch of overhanging rock one z level above, and I really didn't want to channel it all out. So I did something more dwarfy. I caved in all the hanging rock by way of a lever and support beam. Everything seemed to be going as planned.

However, I learned a new thing about cave-ins.

The hallways of my fortress were dug out one z level below the courtyard. Which meant that all the collapsing rock went through the ground and created a big gaping hole in the roof of my main hallways.

It took several months and a lot of stone to patch it all up.

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4194 on: July 13, 2010, 02:38:22 pm »

I've totally forgotten about flooding anything and have decided that I'm just going to make an Iron Meroviate building and fill it with awesome weapons to find in adventure mode.

Sigh.

Vertigon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4195 on: July 13, 2010, 02:57:41 pm »

I'm starting a new challenge. Nobles live in the opulent, gleaming Undercity, while anyone non-Noble lives in the aboveground slums, working to provide the nobles with food and whatnot.

Military dwarves will probably live/be stationed in the Undercity, to better protect the Nobles.

tehc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4196 on: July 13, 2010, 04:19:09 pm »

I embarked onto an area with a brook, heavily forested with some mountainous areas in the bottom left which I am building a fortress in.

Theres a stupid amount of gold so everything is made of it, and thus my dwarves are very happy and there is a complete lack of Fun.

So, i've decided to make an artificial lake covering about a quarter of my 4x4 map and build a second fortress out of gold over it. I'm going to move my dwarves into it once its complete.

pulsusego

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4197 on: July 13, 2010, 06:33:48 pm »

well i just finished my dam/powerplant project, but have nothing to do with the crapload (thousands of units) of power i now have. i have no military besides 50~ wardogs, so i'm not digging into the caverns anytime soon. therefore, no lava for me. sadly pumps are the only thing power's useful for atm... :(

now i need to find a new project to do..... maybe the all-known 1 dwarf challenge? idk.
I got a high master!!!.... animal caretaker... ****.

Funtimes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4198 on: July 13, 2010, 07:00:37 pm »

I just modded out microcline and orthoclase and changed every cluster to a vein or smaller, just to see if it annoyed me less when I found more useless rock.

I'm hoping it will be prettier, anyway.

Edit:
genned a test world and a few embarks, running reveal.
They're beautiful.  :o
Same worthless stones, but present in a way that I can build around, or use them as passages for an organic feeling fortress.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2010, 07:12:52 pm by Funtimes »

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4199 on: July 13, 2010, 07:21:54 pm »

Microcline? Orthoclase? USELESS?

they're Magma proof!
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"