Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2713 2714 [2715] 2716 2717 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6110298 times)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #40710 on: April 06, 2015, 08:30:06 pm »

I do have to say invasions are where the newer version falls flat on its face. Should probably just revert to the old behavior for player controlled sites or make it an option. Everything else I find pretty enjoyable.

The Crown's military is expanded yet again with two new squads, one melee and one marksdorf. Got attacked by a weredeer as well, but it was less "attack" and more "Ran at our blademaster and got thier neck sliced out in one shot." Still no elves to kill.

We've also captured two (!) giant cave spiders, and a small herd of draltha (thems is good eatin'; kept a herd of them in a glacial fort once.)

Hives were expanded, as mead has turned out to be obscenely popular among the dorfs. Seriously, I'm actually having trouble keeping it around for any meaningful length of time! :D Been making consistent use of syrup, royal jelly, oil, and flour in making small meals. One particular one was made of olive pulp, rice flour, olive oil, and jelly. I like to imagine they were actually these small bowl-shaped cookies made from olive-rice pads with jelly resting in the middle of the depression.

On that note, rice is by far our most common flour product. And I've had to greatly expand wood production, to meet the needs of beds and such for the new arrivals that brought the population to 122. And on that note, Come onnnnnnnnn, where's the enemyyyyyyyyy... I'm positive I've got the last major settlement in The Barricaded Canyon's control....

I also named almost every dwarf after forum members, even though they'll probably all die in the first ambush/siege.

I've done that before. Provides a bit of amusement

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #40711 on: April 06, 2015, 08:37:26 pm »

Much to my annoyance, my old fort kept fell to the goblins or humans after I retired it. (Not sure if the humans attacked after the goblins took over.)
My point was training enough legendary dorfs so they could breed and move to my new sites...
I'm already tired of reclaim the site.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

TechnoXan

• Bay Watcher
  • Crundles + Kobolds = AWESOME!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40712 on: April 06, 2015, 08:48:53 pm »

So I got around to some substantial play time and, we'll not that much. Good military of seven skilled/competent fully armed (it says in the military page but on the dwarf I look at their are no greaves. I hope he I sent killed now!) and armored melee dwarfs. Overflowing in my favorite food, raw plump helmets. Caught a whole herd of terrified rutherers. I'm gonna breed them soon. Also some elk birds but I think I'll just up them in my training arena. Yeah, I'm mass producing a lot of stuff and am making a lot of silver corkscrews to hopefully get some kind of ambush at least.
By the by, if your wondering why I use so many smiley faces, its because I smile a lot when I talk. So I use them here so I don't come off the wrong way.

And so it begins...
OPEN THE GATES!

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40713 on: April 06, 2015, 09:19:44 pm »

Welp, I figured out the problem, and I've also found to my horror, that The Crown and our yearly caravan compose the last dwarves of The Barricaded Canyon. The rest of the civ is composed of humans and Onol-Kor (modded humanoid race.) I have also found that the reason I haven't seen any elves is I misjudged my placement, and there's an entire human nation that's taken exception to the elves' attempt to take over the southern half of the region.

So do I maintain retirement, abandon The Crown, and establish a new fortress elsewhere or continue where I am and hope the elves come?

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #40714 on: April 06, 2015, 09:24:45 pm »

The lastest news from Anvilfaints is that many years ago the site was conquered by The Plague of Prestige.

(Yes I knew. Couldn't the mighty mountainhome send an army to reclaim it?)

A few months ago Ezum Battlegate became expedition leader of The Soaked Razors, replacing Melbil Mirrorkindled.

(The Soaked Razors? Sounds cool. Who're they? What? Oh, we are The Soaked Razors... )

Months ago Adil Controlwheels became mayor of The Scorching Corridors.

(Oh, my last site didn't have a mayor when I left. Congratulations.)
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

nomoetoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Victorian Walrus
    • View Profile
« Reply #40715 on: April 06, 2015, 10:02:10 pm »

Things are going well, the food and drink is in good supply, 10 hammerdwarves train, their skills slowly growing, some metal armor is in production.

That is until, penguinofhonor gets caught in a bridge while it closes. rest in oblivion penguin rest in oblivion.

edit: Prophet has made penguins slab, rest now penguin, rest.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2015, 10:13:02 pm by nomoetoe »
The most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. At least that's what the restraining order says.

HawaiianJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Hawaiian Shirts are amazing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40716 on: April 06, 2015, 10:10:44 pm »

In a 1x1 tower, I have my humans (modded to have humans the above-ground equivalent of dwarves and playable as civ) becoming a squad of 20 (Modded, remember?) wrestlers.

The squad's name is Macho Men.
The militia commander is called Randy Savage.
Flaming Baby Catapult

Neo_Spade

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:ginger neck-beard]
    • View Profile
« Reply #40717 on: April 06, 2015, 10:22:10 pm »

I've nearly converted the entire 1st Cavern Layer into a giant death arena... so far 4 Dwarves have lost their lives during the construction/conversion to the most vile things in the caverns...

...magical combusting trees in water.

Fortunately, I only lost Dwarves that are totally worthless... a Soaper, Potash Maker, Fish Dissector and a junior Engineer.

I really hope this arena goes in before the King arrives, according to the Civs screen he's a Swordsdwarf... so... he'd be fun to test in there.
If you've got dwarf problems, I feel bad for you, son.
I've got 99 whales because I killed Urist with one.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #40718 on: April 07, 2015, 01:30:24 am »

Oh, no.
Another founder died. He was eaten by a polar bear.
This place must be cursed, maybe I should sacrifice a noble per year.

But at least I know not all wild animals are harmless.

Dwarf_Fever

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40719 on: April 07, 2015, 02:06:51 am »

Another founder died. He was eaten by a polar bear.
This place must be cursed, maybe I should sacrifice a noble per year.

Cursed? I think you mean blessed - polar bears can be trained for war, are twice the size of grizzly bears (and as big as about 15 war dogs) and will path to food/booze, thus relatively easy to catch in cage traps.
"Whatever exists, having somehow come into being, is again and again reinterpreted to new ends, taken over, transformed, and redirected by some power superior to it; all events in the organic world are a subduing, a becoming master, and all subduing and becoming master involves a fresh interpretation, an adaptation through which any previous 'meaning' and 'purpose' are necessarily obscured or obliterated."

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #40720 on: April 07, 2015, 02:14:22 am »

Yeah, war bears.
By cursed I mean in two years I have lost two founders, for different reasons.

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40721 on: April 07, 2015, 02:42:43 am »

In a 1x1 tower, I have my humans (modded to have humans the above-ground equivalent of dwarves and playable as civ) becoming a squad of 20 (Modded, remember?) wrestlers.

Heh, I'm not ashamed to admit I got that reference. Are you going for a full WWE-themed fortress? Maybe you should mod in Spandex as an armor material.
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40722 on: April 07, 2015, 02:45:47 am »

I decided to go with keeping two saves, and started in summer. The new fortress is Sodel, The Shield. Plopped right in the midst of elf and man, and going to be built predominantly from conglomerate it seems. The location is rich in iron, gold, marble, and coal, so steel arms and armor will be a reality for me without imports! And I decided to build my eventual keep around a single feather tree.

The White Tree of Sodel will soon be watered with elf blood.

Heh, I'm not ashamed to admit I got that reference. Are you going for a full WWE-themed fortress? Maybe you should mod in Spandex as an armor material.

Why is it I find the concept of dwarves in spandex suplexing trolls both amusing and badass?

Dwarf_Fever

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40723 on: April 07, 2015, 02:52:15 am »

"Whatever exists, having somehow come into being, is again and again reinterpreted to new ends, taken over, transformed, and redirected by some power superior to it; all events in the organic world are a subduing, a becoming master, and all subduing and becoming master involves a fresh interpretation, an adaptation through which any previous 'meaning' and 'purpose' are necessarily obscured or obliterated."

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40724 on: April 07, 2015, 03:36:28 am »

A single spat of fastdwarf to dig a dining hall aside, work is going astoundingly well, and amongst the five or so migrants in autumn, there was a soldier from Torish, who was givent he codename Electra (after the metal she likes, Electrum) and assigned to Commander "Bull." We'll need her skills if all goes well.

Platinum was found in small clusters, so a chair for an eventual mayor was made, along with some platinum mugs. Construction on the above ground aspects go well thanks to a skilled mason migrating in as well, and I don't need to worry too much about food or booze thanks to fruit trees nearby, though I'm sure dwarves will tire of pomegranate and papaya in short order.

It also appears the carp in my river are breeding, so I'm gonna try to built some means of harvesting them...
Pages: 1 ... 2713 2714 [2715] 2716 2717 ... 3842