Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2712 2713 [2714] 2715 2716 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6110288 times)

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #40695 on: April 06, 2015, 04:18:38 pm »

I had a queen in the first months of the fort, so she has mandated for this to be her mountainhome. And an impressive one.

And I am digging the shit out of this fort to make a Moria-style fully underground fort. By that I mean I have a 4z-level high hall at the point, and I am digging whole buildings and palaces out of the rock.

It needs to be completed. And it needs more magma. Also needs to be smoothed and engraved.

Probably will also make some 2x2 engraved natural rock columns.. Hell the access path to the fort is already 5z wide, probably will make it more z-levels tall.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40696 on: April 06, 2015, 04:57:27 pm »

A bowyer became fey. I decided to build him a bowyer's workshop because hey, why not.

I assume he would make a blowgun or something useless...

and that's exactly what he did  :P

At least I have a way to make bone crossbows now.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2015, 04:59:23 pm by Naryar »

Beast Tamer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40697 on: April 06, 2015, 05:02:49 pm »

Just picked Dwarf Fortress back up in who knows how long, and am now playing my first fort in the newest version.

Anything major changed since I've been gone? I hope tantrum spirals are still a thing.
There is currently a minor problem in that the veteran demons fighting in the corpse factory have failed to die in the 2 year battle and have become legendary unkillable gods of war. I may have misjudged this possible outcome.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40698 on: April 06, 2015, 05:19:07 pm »

Just picked Dwarf Fortress back up in who knows how long, and am now playing my first fort in the newest version.

Anything major changed since I've been gone? I hope tantrum spirals are still a thing.

Nope. But dwarves get stressed by seeing dead bits of sentients. It gets on your nerves.

Well apparently tantrum spirals are still a thing but you must REALLY abuse your dwarves for a while.

Beast Tamer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40699 on: April 06, 2015, 05:22:48 pm »

Blast, I loved working with the constant threat of mass insanity to keep me working.

EDIT: Also, I've noticed my militia commander gain Novice Discipline. How, and what does it serve to do? At this point I think it makes them less likely to run off in fear.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2015, 05:24:38 pm by Beast Tamer »
There is currently a minor problem in that the veteran demons fighting in the corpse factory have failed to die in the 2 year battle and have become legendary unkillable gods of war. I may have misjudged this possible outcome.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #40700 on: April 06, 2015, 05:25:26 pm »

Werebeast spirals! Like tantrum spirals, only faster and far more deadly. Seriously, werebeast spirals are terrifying.

TechnoXan

• Bay Watcher
  • Crundles + Kobolds = AWESOME!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40701 on: April 06, 2015, 05:26:54 pm »

Really? I teeter on the edge almost every battle I actually face, mostly because the five or six are usually massacred.  ;) oh and yeah, wherebeast spirals are very very FUN.
By the by, if your wondering why I use so many smiley faces, its because I smile a lot when I talk. So I use them here so I don't come off the wrong way.

And so it begins...
OPEN THE GATES!

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40702 on: April 06, 2015, 05:29:07 pm »

Blast, I loved working with the constant threat of mass insanity to keep me working.

You want a constant threat in DF2014 ? Werebeasts. They're mean fuckers now.

Though they are very much not really threatening if you apply proper quarantine methods.

Also now you have PTSD dwarves - as I said, sentient's bodies scare dwarves now. Even a simple troll tooth somewhere. And they get horrified thoughts. And they pile up.

Also vengeful thoughts are fun. Your civilian dwarves are incredibly foolhardy and will charge and dogpile things that attack other civilian dwarves. Yes, just like military.

It tends to end fairly well when it's just a giant toad and all the dwarves around go and try to punch it to death, but when a Forgotten Beast kills one of your squads... that's another matter.

Also have fun not having sieges. Or one little siege in a blue moon.

TechnoXan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40703 on: April 06, 2015, 05:32:23 pm »

As of my latest, a I think three or four year fort that is very rich, I've had NO sieges/ambushes! Aka. No real military combat!  :'( even with four or so of the masterwork fortress defense guys. I already have an arena! Alright, the toad and the croc ready.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2015, 05:34:30 pm by TechnoXan »
By the by, if your wondering why I use so many smiley faces, its because I smile a lot when I talk. So I use them here so I don't come off the wrong way.

And so it begins...
OPEN THE GATES!

Beast Tamer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40704 on: April 06, 2015, 05:39:44 pm »

I have had one werebeast so far, but it "uncloaked" near my military dwarves while they were training and got killed in a flash.

moki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40705 on: April 06, 2015, 05:44:39 pm »

Werebeasts are fun indeed. I had a rather interesting experience with a were-ass recently. Only a single hauler got bitten... not too terrible, I thought, until that hauler got to the meeting hall, transformed, and bit a mason and a miner and so it went on. It wasn't even a particularly dangerous werebeast, but it got a few more dwarves before I could lock down everything and sort it out (in a most Fun and gruesome way). I can't even imagine what a were-elephant would have done  :-\

In my current fort, a mixed horde of undead goblins and humans appeared and I wasn't very impressed. Never even saw a necromancer (does he even come with every undead siege?) and the whole affair was dealt with by 20 angry dwarves with silver war hammers. I would have sent the whole army of 46, but I heard that the undead and edged weapons can result in a bit more Fun than anybody should want. I hope to see more of that bunch, since the regular sieges got a little boring.
But my good sir, the second death was for Dwarven Science!

Dwarf_Fever

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40706 on: April 06, 2015, 07:35:49 pm »

Also have fun not having sieges. Or one little siege in a blue moon.

Play 34.11 tbh... >_>
"Whatever exists, having somehow come into being, is again and again reinterpreted to new ends, taken over, transformed, and redirected by some power superior to it; all events in the organic world are a subduing, a becoming master, and all subduing and becoming master involves a fresh interpretation, an adaptation through which any previous 'meaning' and 'purpose' are necessarily obscured or obliterated."

TechnoXan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40707 on: April 06, 2015, 08:15:44 pm »

But.....but tree's? I'm only staying for the tree's and,  well, other stuff I guess.

And so it begins...
OPEN THE GATES!

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #40708 on: April 06, 2015, 08:21:02 pm »

I wonder if someone has already modded super strong goblins (there are lots of mods nowadays).
What if every goblin is as strong as an undead version?
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

nomoetoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Victorian Walrus
    • View Profile
« Reply #40709 on: April 06, 2015, 08:24:04 pm »

I finally decided to get back into fortress making ways, after setting up the basic needs for a fortress I was able to find some silver, I now have a small military composed of barely armored or unarmored hammerdwarves. Hopefully the metal I requested will arrive soon. I had also started in the year 2, cause reasons.

I had a migrant wave of over 30 dwarves come in, its bigger then I would like, but at least it isn't a 70+ one.

I also named almost every dwarf after forum members, even though they'll probably all die in the first ambush/siege.
The most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. At least that's what the restraining order says.
Pages: 1 ... 2712 2713 [2714] 2715 2716 ... 3842