Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6121373 times)

FaultyLogic

• Bay Watcher
  • [EDIBLE_RAW]
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #405 on: December 04, 2009, 10:14:48 am »

At the moment I'm building a giant throne room that is four z-levels high, and roughly 30x30 in area I think. There are three groups of support pillars placed out symmetrically in the room. On these supports, rests giant, engraved stone blocks that are 4x4 and two levels high. Looks pretty cool!
"It's unpossible!"

Voltaggia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: December 04, 2009, 01:17:10 pm »

I've just been warned by the elven diplomat that I'm cutting too many trees.

Now, this is my first fortress I've managed to stabilise - with incoming king and working economy. Should I risk a war with elves? I have 10 soldiers (5 hammer and 5 marksdwarves) along with the fortress and royal guard (all axedwarves).

FaultyLogic

• Bay Watcher
  • [EDIBLE_RAW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: December 04, 2009, 01:38:55 pm »

You have to weigh the awesomeness of doing it against the awesomeness of not doing it.
"It's unpossible!"

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: December 04, 2009, 02:36:05 pm »

Struck gold. In Dig Deeper, that means gold training weapons. Gonna cut the gold with copper and aluminum to make nordic gold, which comes out in batches of 10. Combined with melting down Orc gear and my steel industry finally being finished, I'll be able to build a real military, not a bunch of wrestlers in mismatched leather armor.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Kyronea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: December 04, 2009, 04:42:41 pm »

Well, I'd just found my magma pipe, and in a bout of sheer brilliance(read: idiocy) I decided I'd try to floor over the top of it.

Fire imps did not like that very much. They poured out and slaughtered everyone.
I have a woodcutter walking around who cancels his jobs and passes out every once and a while because he lost 3 of his 8 lungs

Lost Requiem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Fur Affinity
« Reply #410 on: December 04, 2009, 09:19:52 pm »

I'm currently working on increasing the size of my residential district by a capacity increase of 32 *32 per level, 3 levels completed*, and my engravers are working feverishly to smooth out and floor every completed square inch of the fortress. Masons are working on tables and thrones, farmers are stripping the surrounding lands of all shrubbery for their seeds and fruits, and to make way for more tress, which are then cut down and turned into beds and storage bins and barrels by the carpenters (Jesus not included). I'm also working on extravagant rooms (When the Baron[ess] and other nobles arrive) and jails (When the Baron[ess] arrives). Seige Engineers are getting their practice in with catapults for when another Megabeast decides to pop up and doesn't bleed to death just as it enters the region.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2009, 09:55:15 pm by Lost Requiem »
Lost's sanctuary for Lolis.
Quest Complete! 41/31

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: December 04, 2009, 09:56:51 pm »

One of my elite champions was sentenced to 29 days in jail for a failed mandate (my luck, my mayor likes chrome and the damn orcs raid every summer and fall so I can't get any). I just activated a small fortress guard, and one of them immediately ran off, grabbed the hammerdwarf, and dragged him back to the chain. I just get this mental image of Barney Fief dragging Rambo to prison.

My hammerdwarves are proving themselves to be 100% badass. Had a siege of about six orc squads and they carved a path hip deep in orc guts. I'm working on making 10 more sets of steel chainmail and smelting some nordic gold to expand the hammer corps, currently I have 9 legendaries (one is just Grand Master, got a light gray spinal wound, but he's close enough) on full time guard duty at my gates.

Debating walling off the magma pipe. I had to savescum the last time I tried it, a hammerdwarf dove into the magma pipe after an imp. I don't usually savescum, but that falls under the heading of dwarves dieing due to a bug (seriously, who jumps into magma?). I hate exposed magma pipes.

Edit: Orc siege killed about 10 dwarves. Orc elite sniper *shiver*. Luckily he's dead, and the elite sniper was a local leader so he's gone. It was an ugly battle though, the slaughter finally ended when one of my legendary marksdwarves shot the sniper 12 times, finally killing him.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2009, 11:19:01 pm by Grendus »
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Voltaggia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: December 05, 2009, 02:05:30 am »

After the elven caravan, I was visited by a dragon. Who was then incapacitated by a single bolt from my champion (which somehow pierced his lung and liver). It fell down and was torn apart by dogs. So much for dragons.

Apparently, my civilisation is no longer at war with goblins. That makes a war with elves even more important - my military has to kill something soon.

digitCruncher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: December 05, 2009, 04:37:41 am »

My little dwarves are holed up in thier fort, with around 50-60 gobbos waiting outside with iron weapons.

Due to the fact that these particular gobbos have seiged me TWICE in the last three seasons (once when I was unprepared, killing all but two of my champion wrestlers, as well as 3 children and a baby, and another time when I had *nearly* finished my defences, killing my remaining two champions, a fortress guard, and injuring a child and a mechanic), I now have no effective military against them. I plan to (when I finally gain enough guts to slug it out with them) draft my surplus metalcrafters and craftdwarfs (except for my legendary clothesmaker), give them either a hammer or a crossbow, build giant spinny traps near the entrance, and HOPEFULLY have a half-decent defence sorted before Autumn comes.

In the meantime... I am playing Adventure mode :D Fun!!

But when I savescummed to see how much damage they would do, they LITERALLY, walked over my traps (killing 10, and trapping 12), and the remaining archers just fired down the halls, slaughtering all my dwarves. I lost 25 dwarves, and had a tantrumming dwarf *while the gobbos were still seiging*

This is gonna be tough....

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: December 05, 2009, 11:58:52 am »

I have come to the conclusion that ranged weapons are freakin overpowered. I just had a single hammerdwarf get separated from his squad. The rest of them (well, actually, just the other one, the rest of his squad died to the elite orc sniper) ran off to engage three orc squads as they rounded the corner, and he was the only one guarding the gate. He ended up surrounded on all 8 sides by 15 orcs, walked away with 13 kills (marksdwarves got two of them) and no wounds.

This was also the first and only time I've seen the humans continue to trade after three of their guards died. My hammerdwarves got there in time to rescue the traders, but one of their lashers got ripped to shreds, and two more tried to help defend the fortress (and died ignobly, amateurs). Unfortunately, that means I'll have to have my haulers walk across the whole map to gather their gear, but at least I can get some chrome for my mayor now.

Quantum Toast

• Bay Watcher
  • Schrödinger's Breakfast
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: December 05, 2009, 12:07:41 pm »

I have struck microcline!

I guess blue would make a change for the Pointless Tower. So far the outside's all grey, red and yellow.
That would be as deadly to the wielder as to anyone else!  You'd sever your own arm at the first swing!  It's perfect!

Jualin

• Bay Watcher
  • What's that sound?
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: December 05, 2009, 12:23:12 pm »

Just bought a lot of leather, one cow, 10 wild berries, and misc. items from the elven caravan. Surprisingly, they didn't take exception to my clear cutting policies.

As I'm doing an above-ground challenge, this allows me to feed my dwarves without relying on trade with the dwarven caravan. Can finally put my farmers to use doing something other than trapping pests.

wagawaga

• Bay Watcher
  • He is utterly unaware of his own intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: December 05, 2009, 01:21:52 pm »

Oh Armok.... I were just playing in my extra low fps fort, when a message told me that a human
caravan arrived.

The problem is that the caravan took about 3 second to travel across the screen, traveling at a CRAZY speed (5 tiles/second, while my max agility legendaries make about 1/second)

Quantum Toast

• Bay Watcher
  • Schrödinger's Breakfast
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: December 05, 2009, 01:39:50 pm »

My latest mayor likes adamantine.

This is going to be interesting.

Oh, and the Baroness wants a clear glass window for her dining room. Tough.
That would be as deadly to the wielder as to anyone else!  You'd sever your own arm at the first swing!  It's perfect!

wagawaga

• Bay Watcher
  • He is utterly unaware of his own intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: December 05, 2009, 01:52:38 pm »

My latest mayor likes adamantine.

This is going to be interesting.

Oh, and the Baroness wants a clear glass window for her dining room. Tough.
I guess he also likes adamantine upright spears in his room.
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 3842