Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2689 2690 [2691] 2692 2693 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6111869 times)

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #40350 on: March 15, 2015, 03:12:47 am »

I managed to place the law-giver and one of her guard under house arrest in the Duchess' suite -- she always sleeps on the ground anyway. Then I seized all the merchants' metal, gems, empty barrels and bags, and bid them good day. Three of their wagons spontaneously died right there on the depot-- damn, now I've going to have to clean up their crap anyway! They packed up to leave, kind of drifting off in all directions, and that includes the 3rd cavern.

The lawgiver's other bodyguard is still loitering along the avenue, right next to the barracks where a Hammerlord captain is training most of his squad. Two of the merchant guards are frozen in on the way out of the 3rd cavern, where my cav squad are still waiting for haulers to take out the full cages. The lawgiver is locked up a convenient distance from the elite barracks. What concerns me is the horses still wandering in all through traffic. If they all go berserk together, or if I make an enemy of their civ, the military couldn't be in enough places to neutralize the horses before they do a lot of damage. They aren't trained for war though, so perhaps they'll just try to run away and I can round them up at leisure?

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #40351 on: March 15, 2015, 05:28:20 am »

3 meleedorfs + 10 marksdorfs vs 10 goblins

2 marksdorfs died, several wounded.

::)
« Last Edit: March 15, 2015, 06:10:01 am by utunnels »
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

TechnoXan

• Bay Watcher
  • Crundles + Kobolds = AWESOME!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40352 on: March 15, 2015, 08:36:40 am »

The Trog War of 0'80 was just the beggining. (I use the masterwork mod) a civ of armed (copper) frogmen seiged me several times as well as a civ white tiger men. It's brutal, I am forced to shut my gates for huge periods of time. My wood stocks are desperately low as brax, a giant FB made of fire, prowls the caverns. I open during a period of peice and get ambushed by some long time POWs from the Great Trog War I dropped in to attack the seiges. One of my milita women and her doughter were trapped outside when another group of frogs came. I attacked hoping to by her time. We failed. They were in the courtyard, but I shut the court gate. I wanted to take back the yard so I decided to drop all the stuff I liberated from the caverns on them. One was a fire turret thing. Long story short (-er) the surfase is ALL ON FIRE!! This is gonna be good when I try to reclaim the surfase.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2015, 08:43:43 am by TechnoXan »
By the by, if your wondering why I use so many smiley faces, its because I smile a lot when I talk. So I use them here so I don't come off the wrong way.

And so it begins...
OPEN THE GATES!

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40353 on: March 15, 2015, 09:07:56 am »

We caught us a second minotaur, this one male. If a pair of minotaurs are roomed together and have nothing else to do, will they make baby minotaurs?

Meetings are completely borked in this fort: the unhappy engraver regularly gets "couldn't find anyone to complain to" thoughts, but the mayor never generates a hold meeting job. The liaison hung around for half a year until i made the baroness mayor.

In other news, a vile force of darkness has arrived! Three bowgoblins who just sit on their spawn points and don't move. With the state of cave adaptation as it is, i'm not going to send our three militiadwarfs to meet them. We've been messing around outside, building up our super-flimsy outside installations - a basic curtain wall with the passage protected by a few traps, and a tentative roof over the "courtyard" and depot so trading time can be a _bit_ less pukey. The goblins don't care.

Only two of the dwarfs are still stressed, the mayor and the engraver. When i migrated the fort from .40.15 or what it was to .40.24, it was about a dozen stressed, four "haggard" and one "haunted". The total death toll since then: the haunted dwarf went insane, one dwarf grievously wounded in the tantrums succumbed to infection and a child wandered into a minecart circuit when i disabled the main meeting room to interrupt the raging parties long enough to get some vital hauling done.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40354 on: March 15, 2015, 10:56:01 am »

I couldn't meet the mayor's production order for large gems. I don't get it, usually it's taken care of without my attention, this time I had apprentice, master and legendary gem cutters working, and I'm certain I saw more large gems being produced. So the city guard arrested...a member of the city guard. She feels guilty about being confined? She should be confused as hell, she doesn't any production skill of any kind. She apparently feels as if she's still on duty, as she's training in her cell. Couldn't be worse than training with this captain of the guard.

Anyway, the last of the caravan guards finally moseyed along and fucked the hell off, and the remaining humans and horses converted to 'Friendly'. The horses have since drifted off the map, and I've ordered 3 coffins, reserving the best for Her Excellency. I think. What exactly is the formal address for a non-monarchal head of state? 'Your Premiership'? 'Your Murderous Despotism'? She wasn't elected, she succeeded to rule by killing the vampire before her, a cave fish whose bones she still wears as jewelry. Killing her should greatly simply the rules of protocol.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #40355 on: March 15, 2015, 01:49:23 pm »

Nothing.

It's been 2-3 years that I haven't had a single attack.

Not a single forgotten beast, not a single megabeast/semimegabeast, not a siege, not even thieves, nothing.

Never mind the dozen of hostile (well, they're not at war) civs that can reach my fort. Never mind the vast amount of wealth made on building stuff, on my armorsmith/weaponsmith works,

seriously thinking going back to 0.31.25.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2015, 01:51:32 pm by Naryar »

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
  • The most dwarven name possible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40356 on: March 15, 2015, 02:34:51 pm »

Nothing.

It's been 2-3 years that I haven't had a single attack.

Not a single forgotten beast, not a single megabeast/semimegabeast, not a siege, not even thieves, nothing.

Never mind the dozen of hostile (well, they're not at war) civs that can reach my fort. Never mind the vast amount of wealth made on building stuff, on my armorsmith/weaponsmith works,

seriously thinking going back to 0.31.25.

Or just generating another world. Many players have got attacks in the current version since the stuck armies bug was fixed.

What was wrong with 34.11?
On the item is an image of a dwarf and an elephant. The elephant is striking down the dwarf.

For old times' sake.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40357 on: March 15, 2015, 03:51:35 pm »

"A diplomat has left unhappy!" I'm no psychologist, but I think she's looking a little melancholy. She looks like she's ready to eat her bodyguard. Let's watch and see! I was going to go kill her but I was interrupted when a strange experiment tore loose from its fetters and devoured my fps. While waiting for a mechanic to beat it with a monkey wrench, a beast best forgotten, made of vomit, arrived uninvited. Couldn't a troll take care of that one? Then we'd have a named troll wandering the caverns. Anyway, I already murdered her other bowman in the street. I wish I could've been more discrete, but I couldn't take any chances with a desperate sniper on the loose.

Skullsploder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40358 on: March 15, 2015, 04:16:16 pm »

In an impressive feat of military bungling, the forty-strong professional military was tied down on the west bank by 40 or so of the 72 goblins and trolls that laid siege. While the military were killing the last of the trolls, a huge portion of goblins were moving towards the eastern gate, uncloseable at the time due to renovations. Expecting the military to reach them in time, I stationed the citizen's militia just within the gates as a precaution. However, the military were not quick enough and 70 odd civilians with at best rudimentary military training and a hodge podge of leather, bone, and metal equipment engaged in combat with around 30 melee goblins.

Amazingly, only 8 dwarves died in that combat, and all but 2 of them haulers and labourers. The other two, unfortunately, were my legendary cooks. Sigh. Meanwhile the military lost 4 recruits on the western bank, and this season's migrants arrived "despite the danger."

Refining of candy is progressing slowly but steadily. Fikod the Weaponsmith has now produced a masterpiece -- not artifact! -- adamantine spear worth more than every single artifact in the fort put together, at 64800 dorfbucks. I'll admit, I haven't had the best record with artifacts, but still. So far I have candy weaponry for my commander and two of four captains.
"is it harmful for my dwarves ? I bet it is"
Always a safe default assumption in this game 

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #40359 on: March 15, 2015, 05:33:40 pm »

So, I have decided to mod the game even more due to not having anything in attacks, so I added a combination of the [SIEGER], [AMBUSHER] and [ITEM_THIEF] tags to several Fortress Defense civs, in my region raws.

One season after I get "A vile force of darkness has appeared !" And they're humans  :o Still from the same "goblin" civilization I am enemies with.

They all get slaughtered for some reason, I assume they are in-fighting. Nope. Apparently there are tigermen on the map, oh well, stealth tigermen ambush. My soldiers do short work of the ambush.

I assume my modding did something to the tigermen (which never appeared and yet my fort is 6 years old) wait eagerly for the next season, aka spring... and it's the start of Spring and there is nothing. I know sieges tended to happen in the START of seasons back then (0.34), but i'm not sure if they still do that now.

Probably I will have to wait more.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2015, 05:40:14 pm by Naryar »

Aristion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40360 on: March 15, 2015, 09:12:28 pm »

I have carp breeding in my water storage area now. 4 carp currently, 3 of which are carp fry. Lets see where this goes.
I kept imagining this guy go "By Armok, not the dead roaches! Oh gods the hamsters oh the dwarfmanity!"
Devotes several hours a day making vampires an endangered species.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40361 on: March 15, 2015, 11:03:19 pm »

I think I'm going to wrap up the season to retire this fort at the end. So I had the remaining humans and the rampaging vomit-man cleared out. The Duchess was in bliss to eat in her own dining hall again; no opinion about the dead humans on the floor of it. She's not even a hardened individual. That reindeer's milk roast must have been really good. Vomit man spewed but only hit himself. Cages were cleaned and constructions wrapped up to let the 8 pages of stockpiling catch up. There's still most of a month left, but I know I'm losing interest when I make a lot of stupid mistakes I wouldn't have had I been paying attention. I think I'd rather investigate the area where Iton Asdug used to be, 980 years ago.

ibanix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40362 on: March 16, 2015, 01:52:57 am »

The Mountainhome of Landinked has 240 dwarves, a worth of just over 9 million dwarfbucks, and a Vampire King, in just over 7 years.

With 40 fps seasons are taking a long time, and I'm running out of things to do with my dwarves. Sieges are being handily dispatched, no megabeasts have shown up lately, and half my dwarves are idle. The GCS silk farm is keeping a bunch of them busy, but it's just killing time. Most of my citizens are fully decked out in steel gear, of copper for the less strong.

I think its time to retire. Next run will be a nanofort, and with modified farming - for difficulty.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #40363 on: March 16, 2015, 07:38:57 am »

GCS are breeding!

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #40364 on: March 16, 2015, 10:48:24 am »

Weathers in DF can be really funny.
Now it is winter and the ocean is frozen. A snow storm has come, But only the ocean biome snows, the forest and grass land is sunny.

The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!
Pages: 1 ... 2689 2690 [2691] 2692 2693 ... 3842