Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2688 2689 [2690] 2691 2692 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6111978 times)

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #40335 on: March 14, 2015, 10:31:18 am »

You know it's bad when the unthinkable monsters from the depths are the only line that stands between you and obliteration.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #40336 on: March 14, 2015, 11:01:02 am »

A gremlin and a troll climbed up into my fort from the caverns, so I set my fledgling military to take them down.

Three strikes later, they're both dead: the axedwarf decapitated the troll as his opening strike, before taking the gremlin's arm off on the backswing. One of the swordsdwarfs then apparently slashed right through the gremlin's ribcage and into the heart, also first shot. Damn that was fast.

The other swordsdwarf is still using her training sword. I should make another iron sword for her.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
  • likes dragons for their fiery breath
    • View Profile
« Reply #40337 on: March 14, 2015, 11:19:18 am »

for me? just now I got

miner cancels eat: interrupted by buzzard.

I jump into combat reports instantly.

the miners combat log is too lines

the miner strikes the buzzard in the head with her copper pick and the severed part sails of in an ark!
miner: in the mist of conflict... I am not scared!

I like her nerve.
her personality profile does not look that much good for military but still...

me thinks I will keep an eye on this one..
Kids make great meat shields.
I nominate endlessblaze as our chief military executive!

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #40338 on: March 14, 2015, 11:36:08 am »

Forgotten beast won't go for the webbed cage traps leading into my fort. It just seems content to wail on my artifact coffin. Sending dwarves in just makes them run away, pursued by fireballs but otherwise unharmed. Dammit, I don't want to have to kill it, I want to use it against hell!

Arx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #40339 on: March 14, 2015, 11:47:24 am »

The Olm People march (swim?) to war!

With the troglodytes. And lost ;_;7
The troglodyte tribe seems to have violently dismembered all the cavern dwellers that entered their tiny island. Might be time to move the military into a guard position. Didn't expect piercing the second cavern to reveal quite so much ancient history.

Edit: blood in the water! Looks like a pond grabber pulled one of the troglodytes into the abyssal depths. Vengeful, his or her compatriots killed another pond grabber.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2015, 11:50:53 am by Arx »

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40340 on: March 14, 2015, 11:50:55 am »

Oh yeah, and a female GCS showed up but refused to fall for my cage traps. Dammit, I want tame GCS roaming the halls! Can you imagine what I could do with disposable webbers!

EDIT: IT WAS CAUGHT! I HAVE A BREEDING PAIR! I can't breed them right away, as my male is busy webbing cage traps, but I will have babies eventually.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2015, 12:00:26 pm by TheFlame52 »

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
  • likes dragons for their fiery breath
    • View Profile
« Reply #40341 on: March 14, 2015, 12:01:24 pm »

I have never lasted much in the caverns but when ever I go down there I always find webs but no GCS
Kids make great meat shields.
I nominate endlessblaze as our chief military executive!

Arx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #40342 on: March 14, 2015, 12:05:08 pm »

This is like a horror movie.

Bodies sway in the depthless lake below as strange scratches and chitters echo through the cavern...

Brutish and spidery, the ape-men climb along the walls, splashed with the blood of the cavern creatures...

...Ineth begins to cry fitfully and Èzum cradles him closer to his chest, sword held warily in the other hand. She hears something behind her, but it is only Îton shifting uneasily. The wall scratches as troglodytes cling to the other side- Suddenly a snarling beast catapults up the slope and she raises her sword but Kadol is already fending it off. In a blur, Îton is there, striking in anger for the third time, killing cleanly for the second.

Feral grunts echo up the passageway. It is only the beginning. Blood drips off the overhang into the water.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #40343 on: March 14, 2015, 12:43:47 pm »

Didn't know necromancers carried knives. Using his iron boning knife, the third necromancer put down a weary elk bird or two, and held out against an ogre until a shell finished it off. Four elk birds and two ogres are my only fighting chance now. Somehow, a skin slipped out into the open and is scaring my turkey flock. Going to check up on that while micromanaging the 804 year old dragon into training. Come on ogres, just hold out until this dragon is trained...! Also, my military commander is stuck in the well. She's also my only hammerdwarf.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

TechnoXan

• Bay Watcher
  • Crundles + Kobolds = AWESOME!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40344 on: March 14, 2015, 01:08:08 pm »

So my first real/cool (for me) combat was when I breached the caverns and discovered some Frog men. I am really bad at military's so I was scared for my fort of 26. I immediately drafted four miners along with Zush, my favorites dwarf and resident warrior, they seemed pretty good. Then they came. About 8 frogmen attacked my forces, apart from the iron clad Zush the rest only had copper weapons and maybe an iron helm. The combat was fierce. I was expecting serious losses but not a single one died! Most were heavily injured though, we fought them all off. Then a gaint I'll came in and killed two of them before I somehow managed to kill it. Things were going well! A wolf spider came but it was easy to kill, but then the Trogs came. Around 12 of the Neolithic beasts came at us! I mobilized the men hoping that my luck would hold. But Zush was resting injuries!! What! I checked her and she had some serious dental issues. A crap ton of smashed teeth! The rest of the milita were slaughtered one by one. I created a pattern of sending the 20 new migrants down there as the last draftees were killed. I was actually whittling down there numbers! Then Zush magically stop up, still in need of braces, and rushed down. She got the absolute CRAP beaten out of her! Some miners saved her broken, fractured, and bruised. But we won! Two more came in and harassed my men, but I FINNALY took all of those Trogs down!! It was a really fun war. I call it The Great Trog War of  0'80   :)
By the by, if your wondering why I use so many smiley faces, its because I smile a lot when I talk. So I use them here so I don't come off the wrong way.

And so it begins...
OPEN THE GATES!

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40345 on: March 14, 2015, 02:00:53 pm »

A CYCLOPS?

DON'T MAKE ME LAUGH

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40346 on: March 14, 2015, 03:28:22 pm »

Have finally gotten around to making an aboveground fort... all dwarves eat and sleep above the earth.  Have used about a bajillion blocks so far.

Vampire shows up, immediately mind-controls everyone into making him mayor, and my first inkling of a problem is "Urist McWhoTheHell has been found dead, completely drained of blood!"  There was not a single witness... amazing, considering the dormitory has 20 beds and is literally RIGHT OUTSIDE THE DOOR of the feast hall that has at least 15 in attendance at all times.  Get the feeling Urist wasn't too well-liked  :/  Mayor is currently sealed into his room "for safety"; no, I didn't specify whose safety.

Had five moods so far... three of them have failed because I don't have any damn shells.  Really getting tired of this shell game.  *rimshot*
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40347 on: March 14, 2015, 04:11:08 pm »

Hm, human caravan is parked in the Depot and their lawgiver is here on a diplomatic visit. Now that I have their hide root, they don't have anything I want, and nothing they could trade would be any better than the trash I'm going to have to find a way to get rid of soon. My elite guard is standing by, and my cav unit is transferring a cave dragon to a kennel for war training.

Starting war with the humans was a goal, not a plan, and on top of every project I've been juggling, I really hadn't had time to plan anything for their visit. Whatever I do will probably be purely on impulse, especially if some other disaster arrives to make it even more convenient.

ibanix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40348 on: March 14, 2015, 10:36:28 pm »

Human siege shows up at the same time a steam based forgotten beast spawns in the cavern. It *looks* like pathing to it is blocked (my guys can't get there), so I head topside to deal with the humans.

The humans brought a shit ton of war lions and war giraffes (what?), but they won't go through my meat grinder of traps, so they're just milling around outside.

Meanwhile, I hear screams from below. The forgotten beast managed to find a way out. Arming most of my civies was a good idea; some random Urist McHero manages to take him out, but the beast has a nasty nasty breath and I lose a total of four guys to asphyxiation.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #40349 on: March 14, 2015, 11:34:46 pm »

Finally, everything is right in the world. My dragon was finely trained by my great animal trainer, sat on a nest box for a bit, then was war trained. I sent my second best military dwarf in, a dual wielding sword and macedwarf, to clean up what was left of the necromancer cavern ambush: about ten shells, no skins, two zombie ogres, a living ogre, and a large tribe of troglodytes. Two blasts of fire and some biting later, and we've won. Still miss my caravan guard trap though... I have sealed off the direct route into the caverns with a drawbridge, guarded by a pair of elephants. The mess is being cleaned up by a very disciplined hauler, and my militia commander climbed out of the well. Since the war dragon is attached to the second in command, I gave the two giant lions and one giant jaguar the elves brought, along with the caught jabberer, to the militia commander. He also has a pack of dogs on his heels too. The spike traps are being removed, the main hall's traps redoubled and a pair of ballistae added in. I'm also putting cages randomly in the first cavern layer, as these necromancers were in the second one. Steel production is now in full swing, as I found marble. I think the fort is safe... I think. Wonder when a giant flock of rocs or something will show up. Probably once I let my guard down.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.
Pages: 1 ... 2688 2689 [2690] 2691 2692 ... 3842