Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2681 2682 [2683] 2684 2685 ... 3839

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5973965 times)

ibanix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #40230 on: March 09, 2015, 03:52:21 am »

"A human caravan from Dondur has arrived."

La-de-da....

"A lizard monster diplomat from Dondur has arrived."

.... what?

"A great lizard twisted into humanoid form with external ribs. It squirms and fidgets. Its crimson scales are large and close-set. Beware its poisonous sting!

She is small."

I'm not sure if I should laugh or hide.

That's a demon diplomat. This one should be harmless.

My demon diplomat fell into one of my wells and is now stuck in my cistern. It doesn't seem to be bothering... it. I wonder if I'll have a resident demon forever?

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40231 on: March 09, 2015, 05:02:58 am »

The quest to stabilise the updated 40.15 fort has made some progress. I had to crash and restart several times, because the goddamn "tantrums cause loyalty loss in witnesses" monsterbug still occurs in 40.24. Twice, a very unhappy dwarf threw a tantrum in the meeting hall and everybody who saw it started murdering everybody else. I finally totally and utterly locked up the tantrumbastards and dumped some food and drink in their confines. Had to do it all over in one case, because the living timebomb decided to climb through the dumping hole before i could shore it up.

There are still two free-roaming haggard dwarfs (the haunted one finally snapped and starved herself to death in melancholy), but they consistently don't tantrum and since the save has been imported to the new version, sadness from distant snatched relatives no longer accumulates, so the situation is actually improvable. I have over a dozen dead from .40.15, all but one dead from dwarf-on-dwarf combat, almost none of them the actual tantrum-throwers.

I had earlier tried shorting out tantrum-triggered loyalty cascades by retiring/reactivating the fort, but that led to the volcano overflowing and eventually a game crash. So, full-out save scumming it is (i'm not too torn about it, because the bug is just unspeakably dumb).

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40232 on: March 09, 2015, 08:07:42 am »

...archers jumping down from walls report...
That's why it is good idea to add fortifications on the walls and even a roof.
Beside other things, bay12forums is also the leader website in calculations of saguaro wood density.
(noted by jwoodward48df)

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #40233 on: March 09, 2015, 08:23:44 am »

Unfortunately fortifications does not stop suicidal jumpers in 40.x
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=8160

I got this one too a few releases ago, a whole marksdwarves squad that was fighting a squad of goblins bowmen suddenly did just that and jumped through the fortifications and landed out of my fortress.

Not as much as a problem as what happened with the undead on my previous post as the goblin bowmen were few and were filled with bolts, but still a nasty problem.

edit: i think the only safe way to have marksdwarves defend you wall in 40.x is to never put those suicidal dwarves on your walls, but instead build some kind of archer towers that are at a good enough distance from walls (so those silly dwarves will not try to jump to the walls for no reason) and is at a couple of Z level higher than your walls (so they can shoot what's on the ground behind walls.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 08:31:42 am by Robsoie »

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #40234 on: March 09, 2015, 09:27:19 am »

Strange, I never had this problem.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #40235 on: March 09, 2015, 10:32:47 am »

The Mountain Titan Mimale Sarevesidaya Ithithi Salo has come!  A huge blob composed of flame.  It has three stubby tails and it has an austere look about it.

The titan toasted all military dorfs who were training outside then burnt down my doors and screw pumps. My militia commander and a hammer lord were luck to be inside so they survived.

Problems is, now no one can go outside to kill the titan. I guess that is because the ground level is still too hot.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

GAME OVER

« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 10:41:56 am by utunnels »
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40236 on: March 09, 2015, 11:24:26 am »

What do you mean, "game over"? It looks like about 24 of your citizens aren't on fire.

Yet.

That's that weird thing called ‼fun‼, right?

Own fort: the annoying tantrum-prone engraver has spent well over a year locked up now, with mostly good thoughts from adoring her nice bed, table and chair. She's still haggard and hasn't stopped suffering bouts of temporary insanity. What's more annoying is that the only dwarf who's remotely mayor material and thus always gets voted in is the _other_ haggard dwarf that just won't recover. I don't know how and when it locked up, but she's completely stopped offering meetings (perhaps too stressed? But why run for mayor if she can't perform the single real function of the job?), so we're not getting treaties with the mountainhome.

In better news, the two stressed militiadwarfs have lost the looming orange arrow and the locked-up miner went from "haggard" to "stressed" and was released since she's no longer a danger to the rest of the population. "sad about being separated from loved ones" remains on the thoughts list for almost everybody, but it's no longer the overbearing foremost thought that delivers its full punch twenty times per day.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #40237 on: March 09, 2015, 11:27:49 am »

GAME OVER

No, no, it's called "YOU WIN" in DF culture.

edit: eh i have been ninja'd.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #40238 on: March 09, 2015, 11:43:29 am »

LOL
I tried to reclaim but the titan was still there. So it is out of question now.
The map was supposed to be used to test modified goblins, but the titan ruined the plan when I just reached 80 population...

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40239 on: March 09, 2015, 12:23:35 pm »

I thought the mayor's job was to take all the credit or blame for your decisions. My first mayor didn't last a year. She was the broker, and had all the traits and skills for the position of mayor, but I lost track of booze supplies and it ran out at the same time all the wells were empty for waterworks maintenance. So everyone crowded the river to drink -- over 300 tiles of designated water source, and they all packed into the same tile with the fisherdwarves. The next season they elected a Peasant who had immigrated only 1 1/2 month before. She didn't have any skills, so I had conscripted her into the militia, and she was still just a Recruit when she moved into the mayoral residence. She's now a Speardwarf and elected 5 years in a row.

ragincajun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40240 on: March 09, 2015, 01:22:10 pm »

My first ever run in with the infamous Giant Keas.

I made it as far as building my depot before the Keas gutted my starting seven.
No, they went to Hel, where they lead a bleak existence in cold and darkness. Valhalla is reserved for valiant warriors.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #40241 on: March 09, 2015, 03:26:58 pm »

Took a turn, the second, at a succession fort on another forum. It was very badly organized (even though there was only one player so far) and while trying to secure the place two necromancers arrived with ~50 armed zombies and killed everyone. This was midway through the second year of the fort. What.

arbarbonif

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40242 on: March 09, 2015, 04:51:27 pm »

Took a turn, the second, at a succession fort on another forum. It was very badly organized (even though there was only one player so far) and while trying to secure the place two necromancers arrived with ~50 armed zombies and killed everyone. This was midway through the second year of the fort. What.
I had a zombie siege (25 zombies, without necros) in my second autumn, before the caravan.  Fortunately I had everything able to be shut off, though I discovered they have no problem jumping or climbing up one z of smooth walls to kill all my grazing animals.  Eventually setup a mass of cage and weapon traps in a new entrance to capture and kill them all.  Ended up losing just my military commander who decided to go wandering up to the last zombie on the mesa even after I had cancelled the kill order, the other 3 soldier killed it.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40243 on: March 09, 2015, 05:31:51 pm »

This is the designation for my reactor, which should be dug in one pass from bottom to surface, then built downward, clearing the staircases.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Construction will extend it three more floors, so it can output the same level as my west entrance while remaining impenetrably encased.

Still deciding options for redirecting the blast at the top, but it should at least be able to flood the entire west tunnel while safely draining into my canal. Everything is paved roads and rock blocks along that tunnel, which is long enough to take a game week to empty if I completely submerge it. 8 pumps worth of pressure should be able to drown someone quickly, though.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #40244 on: March 09, 2015, 07:52:29 pm »

Which would win in a fight - a fire-breathing worm with wings or a quadruped made of salt with rot dust? I think neither would win - the worm would kill the quadruped and then die from the rot.

Using some DFhack shenanigans with changing the game mode, I was able to determine that the rot only affects the muscle - which sucks because that means it'll get into the joints and become impossible to be excised.
Pages: 1 ... 2681 2682 [2683] 2684 2685 ... 3839