Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2678 2679 [2680] 2681 2682 ... 3839

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5974001 times)

Pirate Santa

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_EATER]
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #40185 on: March 07, 2015, 03:33:25 am »

Started my new fort Speakerchamber today.
An above ground fort built on a river. Literally.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
It's a shame the elves don't visit us. I'd love to see their reactions. :P
Welcome to Dwarf Fortress. Where peaceful death of old age is something nobody sees coming.
it turns out Dog Bone Doctors aren't very good at doctoring.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #40186 on: March 07, 2015, 08:21:29 am »

What's the difference between a quern and a millstone?

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #40187 on: March 07, 2015, 08:30:11 am »

A quern is driven by dwarf power, a millstone is mechanical.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40188 on: March 07, 2015, 08:33:44 am »

Is there a difference in speed?

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40189 on: March 07, 2015, 08:48:01 am »

Jeez, the soldiers are ate-the-fuck up. Getting them properly geared was a greater ordeal than the FB fight. My strategy worked.The soldier who freaked when a cave croc burst out of the water at her was the first one on top of it, and didn't just block it at the hatch, she went down and pinned down its location at the bottom. She got her first notable kill, well done. It didn't get a single fireball off, but some of the cavern is still on fire. I hope these dwarves have the sense not to walk through it to gather the cages.

Is there a difference in speed?
Yes, millstones are faster, and they get the job experience faster, which makes the miller faster in case they have to switch back to manual power.

GuesssWho

• Bay Watcher
  • A scaly cat. Beware its acidic webs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40190 on: March 07, 2015, 09:23:26 am »

I said 'fuck it' and decided to drain the underground lake into the volcano. Take that, magma crabs!

Of course, I'll probably need to move my magma works. But oh well.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2015, 09:28:52 am by GuesssWho »
I have no clue what I am doing here.

I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #40191 on: March 07, 2015, 09:45:08 am »

Millstone >>>> quern unless you have no running water or wind power on your map.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40192 on: March 07, 2015, 10:07:33 am »

The world has passed into the Age of Legends.

Probably because the game threw two titans at me in two months. I made my yearly copy and retire and had a look at the legends. Not much has happened besides that. Some fire imps got killed by goblin humans and one of their sites got conquered but that's about it.

Someone's pet sheep died, so I'm going to buy a new one from the next caravan. It was my only source of wool, which I need on occasion for moods.

GuesssWho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40193 on: March 07, 2015, 11:37:07 am »

Apparently if you dump water on your magma forge, the stone it's made from protects one lava square. Neat!

I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #40194 on: March 07, 2015, 12:11:20 pm »

To test if adding more enemies races could help in getting more enemies coming to siege in DF 40.x i decided to quickly make 3 more, based on the goblin templates .

I generated a smaller region for 50 years, then started a fortress mode game, and made sure when choosing my location that every possible enemies were listed (so i wouldn't embark in a location in which none can reach).
I even noticed that i had 2 towers listed , so in the middle of goblins, hobgoblins, orcs and duergar ( they're D&D evil versions of dwarves ) , i had 2 source of undead enemies.

All was going well at first, i had decided to build a surface fortress instead of a classic underground one and had some fun with it so far, and with all the time spent in making rooftop for every building i didn't noticed how much time was going on and just completely forgot about making walls or any kind of defense.

A year moved with only a couple of kobold thieves popping up and 2 small waves of migrant from time to time, winter came, a year without invader, but in the same time i was just building up my village , not yet mass producing goods and wealth so no real surprise.
When suddenly

Damn, i checked and noticed it was 5 undead, while 5 units sounds ridiculous in comparison to what you were attacked with in 34.11 , undead are massively stronger than in 34.11
So 5 undeads were far enough to destroy my whole populations that i quickly drafted into military.

I then moved my guys in stations, waiting for them to just panick in terror and run away because running away in terror is the only thing dwarves can do in the 1st year of no-discipline training/exploit , but they didn't to my surprise.

I checked where the undead were and understood why my military wasn't running away in terror and my village was still standing : the enemy "army" had disappeared.

Oh well, looks like small and nearly never happening invasions aren't the only 40.x problems ...
« Last Edit: March 07, 2015, 12:16:43 pm by Robsoie »

Echostatic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40195 on: March 07, 2015, 01:19:22 pm »

My weaponsmith got a fey mood! Oh, he grabbed adamantine! This is gonna be great! He's grabbing rock blocks, bone and leather... He's finished! It's a... Oh. Of course. An artifact adamantine war hammer. Just another reason to let the clowns out and forsake this world.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40196 on: March 07, 2015, 01:21:20 pm »

Got a forgotten beast in the second cavern, a toucan with poison dust. It causes drowsiness and oozing. I wish I could catch it... Wait... Maybe I can...

GuesssWho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40197 on: March 07, 2015, 01:53:35 pm »

My weaponsmith got a fey mood! Oh, he grabbed adamantine! This is gonna be great! He's grabbing rock blocks, bone and leather... He's finished! It's a... Oh. Of course. An artifact adamantine war hammer. Just another reason to let the clowns out and forsake this world.
It'll make your hammerer happy, yeah?

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40198 on: March 07, 2015, 02:03:30 pm »

The FB fell for the deadly trap and was killed by my marksdwarves. Oh well. I also have a captive crundle that fell for the poison that I'm going to chain up outside so I can see what happens to it.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #40199 on: March 07, 2015, 03:08:50 pm »

2 months later my fortress was out of winter, my big protective walls were nearly completed, only 6 tiles to go , plenty of woods and enough workers to complete it in a couple of minutes, when i got a 2nd undead invasion coming !

I guess that was from the 2nd tower.

This time they didn't disappeared out of thin air unlike the bugged previous one, there were 2 necromancers that were running around the regular undead (not sure why they were doing that, or why i even was seeing them, AI necromancers aren't walking stealthly in 40.x fortress mode ? )

Anyways, the undead legion had quite a lot more than 5 undead this time, but i wasn't bothered, only 6 tiles to go in a couple of minutes and the undead would be able to do nothing but rot outside my nice fortified village :)
... but i wasn't prepared to how much idiots and cowards my dwarves were ... my dwarves all runned away ... despite the undead were very slow and were at more than a screen of distance.
what the ... even if i had only half the current available worker, they could have finished the wall before the undead would have covered half of a screen.

Needless to say the fortress fell very slowly as the undead were walking very slowly, but still fell as a monument to remember how dwarves can get to extreme terror and cowardice to ensure they can't finish a simple fast job that would have allowed them to survive easily.

I guess i'll try a reclaim after trying in adventure mode to dispatch someone to squash the undead guys that are probably still roaming in my fort.
Pages: 1 ... 2678 2679 [2680] 2681 2682 ... 3839